An Ice Cream Date

Awkward Adventures

I heard the knock at the door and ran down the stairs. My head swayed as I opened the door. He turned and gave me a shocked look.

There was a short pause that felt like forever. We exchanged greeting and made our way.

“So, um, where are we going?”

“Uh,” he seemed worried, “there’s a noodle bar down the street.”

I nodded; the rest of our walk was quiet and tense.

“After you.” He said as we got to the restaurant. The waitress directed us to our seats.

She was pretty and well endowed. As she took our orders she faced Jongup, bending to the table.

“What can I get you sir?” She winked at him. His only response was his order. He stared only at his menu. She tried her hardest to stay at Jongup’s side, admiring his build. Looking over her shoulder at me, she took my order and left.

“The waitress is pretty.”

“Oh, I didn’t notice.” He seemed surprised but his answer lifted my hopes.

Dinner was quiet, we talked about the food. Jongup took the bill and we left.

As he walked me home, we stopped by an ice cream store.

“Do you want any?” He asked, with a hopeful smile.

“Strawberry’s my favourite.” I grinned like an idiot.

We went and he ordered one strawberry and one chocolate.

“Chocolate is my favourite.” He smiled, his eyes flickering to mine.

We ate as we walked. He laughed as he watched me the melting ice cream off my palm. We both laughed as he missed his mouth, covering his nose in brown goo. My heart fluttered the whole night. As we finished we threw our napkins in the bin and strolled off, still laughing.

“The red one right?” I nodded.

It was quiet and I could feel him moving closer. I was frightened by the moment, nervous at what might happen. I took his hand, warm in mine and pecked his cheek. We both lit up, as red as my front door. “Night.” I ran inside before he could respond.

I pressed myself against the door and stared through the peephole.

“Night.” He whispered to himself, smiling more than I had seen before. My heart ached as I watched him walk away.

“Sweet dreams.” I whispered to my door and trudged up the stairs, giddy from what most people would say was nothing.