A Day Out

Awkward Adventures

We sat together in the small coffee shop. It was busy but not crowded. The awkwardness was almost solid between us. I sipped at my coffee as he drank his milkshake. I watched his hands fidget around the glass, his slender fingers toying with the straw. Each time our eyes met we looked away embarrassedly, redder than rose. It had been two months and still the only thing we could talk about was our drinks.

He started to mutter something but was cut off by a loud cheer.

“Hey guys!” The pink haired boy bounded across the shop to us with a milkshake in hand. “Ah noona!  You have the same drink as me. So what are you guys up to?”

I went to answer but the brunette across from me answered first. “Ah we were just about to leave actually.”

I nodded in agreement.

“Yah ok I’ll come with you.” Zelo smiled widely and headed for the door. We both stood up from our seats and followed.

We trailed behind, the boy ran and walked and played in front of us. I could feel Jongup’s hand bumping into mine, a subtle hint that he shoved into his pocket as soon as Zelo turned around shouting to show us something.  

“Um, do you want to go…..uh….do something else?” The boy beside me asked.

I nodded again. This time he took my hand, his was warm and soft against mine. The other boy chased after us.

“What are you doing?” He didn’t get an answer, only a look, but a look was enough. “Oh ok well have fun, I’ll see if the others are here somewhere.”

We walked off, past street vendors and stalls, when we were out of sight of the boy he let go of my hand.  I clenched mine, an unconscious protest. Our awkwardness was agonising.

After walking for a while we sat at a park bench, watching others run and play. I nonchalantly moved over, closing the gap between us.

“Daehyun, look over there.” The blonde one pointed to us and the pair walked over. Jongup moved away, leaving a gap wide enough for Youngjae to slide in. The other was eating and stood in front of us, his mask at his chin as he stuffed his face.

The blonde seemed content with himself as he asked what we were up to.

“Um we were just going to leave.” I interjected as Jongup started to speak; he nodded vigorously towards the others.

“Oh alright, well, I guess we’ll just stay here, til he finishes,” he motioned towards Daehyun who gave him a sour look, “want us to catch up with you after?” Jongup and I both shook our heads and waved as we stood and left.

We made our along the streets this time stopping at an ice cream store where the ulzzang spotted us and waved. “They’re popping up everywhere.” We both laughed nervously as Himchan walked over.

“Hey guys, Yongguk’s still inside, want anything?” Jongup said no as I said yes, Himchan giving us an awkward look. I smiled and walked inside leaving the two to talk.

“Oh, hi,” the purple haired man was surprised to see me, “where’s Jongup?” I motioned towards the door where the others were standing. “Ah, well do you want anything? I think I’ve decided.”

“Whatever you’re having.” He chuckled at my dorky smile and asked for two cones with strawberry ice cream.

We met the others back outside, just in time for Jongup to pull me away as I shouted a thankyou back at Yongguk.

As we got to a slower pace I started the bright pink goo off my hands as the ice cream started to melt down the cone. We strolled along again, dodging the others as we saw them.

I finished off the last bite of waffle cone, crunching loudly. We’d walked so far that the stalls and vendors were lost behind us so we stopped at a bench.

He kept his eyes on the shop across from us. “Sorry about before, pulling you away like that. Himchan was – “

“It’s really ok.” I stared at my shoes, hands in my lap. We’d lost our shadows and it was getting late. “I enjoyed today, it would be nice to do this again.” I peeked at him.

“Without the interruptions.” He looked at me, his soft expression still showing how annoyed he was.

I shuffled closer to him. “They weren’t that bad, they just wanted to hang out.”

He turned his body to me so that our knees were touching, we were both extremely conscious of contact.

“Though, I’m glad they aren’t here now.” I continued, moving closer still, until I could feel his breath on my cheek. When we were getting the ice creams, Yongguk had asked me how things were going. I had no answer. Although he was older he was shy as well when it came to relationship stuff so his simple advice was to take charge. So I tried.

Jongup stood suddenly and I almost fell into the seat. “I should take you home.” His words were rushed and exasperated from his nerves. I grunted in agreement and we left.