Chapter 3

Guardian

*Re-edited version 10/20/12*

Thank you for anyone who kindly subscribed or commented. Please leave more comments to persuade me to update with even more character appearances. ;) Excuse me for any mistakes. This chapter kinda gets to the point.

Disclaimer: I do not own pics.


 

 

(Alaina's POV)

It was my second day in Seoul. I had been given my textbooks and school uniform by my caretaker. Tomorrow I would finally be attending school.

I was walking home from working at Little Town. Since I didn't have much to fill up my day, I had worked until nine at night. Chunhei made sure I always doing something proactive. She even made me go on two deliveries to some regular customers of theirs. I ended up going to the library and at a local convenience store. Easy.

The night air was cool with a gusty breeze. I shuddered and shuffled forward down the street purposely, gripping onto my jacket tightly. All was quiet at night.

I didn't see a large shadow tail me.



...



(Taemin's POV)

"Ahhh," he complained, throwing his arms in the air in the state of his fit. "Aish! I'm soooo bored! Nothing to do but search, search, and SEARCH for a girl I don't even know!" He ruffled his hair agitatedly. "Argh! I wish there was some demons to kill. I need to pass the time..."

Abruptly, Taemin froze mid-walk and felt his senses tingle and alert him. His head snapped up, senses heightened. Images flashed behind his eyelids.

He grinned gleefully. "My wish came true. There's a demon nearby."

He ran off to find his target.



...



(Alaina's POV)

I shuddered again, but not from the cold air. My nerves were going crazy. My instincts were telling me something was approaching, something that meant harm. Fear etched my face.

I continued to walk, not stopping, my footsteps emitting the slightest of sounds. Slowly, I turned my head to peer behind me.

A saw a flicker of a shadow, and heard the whisper of a low hiss. Scared, I sprinted down the street.

"Doooon't ruuuun awayyyyy," exhaled a hissy voice. Something jumped from the shadows and pursued after me.

I was even more frightened. Whatever was chasing me wasn't human. I knew it wasn't human. No one was around but me and my pursuer. I ducked in an alleyway between two buildings. My footfalls echoed; I nearly tripped over a crushed can.

BOOM! Something landed in front of me. Startled, I fell back on my rear end.

I stared open-mouthed what was before me. A thing stood in the crater under it's body. It was the size of a bear, maybe even bigger since it was hunched. The body was dark and seemed to be releasing tendrils of...shadows? Its long, whip-like tail wagged back and forth, sweeping the ground. The arms and legs were long and thick, each equipped with sharp curved claws. The thing in front of me exhaled through it dagger-row of teeth, drooling. Red eyes gleamed in the dim moonlight.

I was too terrified to scream. I was stuck to the ground, wide-eyed and speechless.

It was a demon.

Like the demons I saw in my nightmares.

"Toooo scaaaared to screeeam fooor youuur liiiife?" rasped the demon in amusement. "How booooring."

How did this demon of a thing know how to speak? Even more mindbogglingly, in Korean?

I only swallowed, rooted in place. Oh god. It's real. This isn't a dream.

The demon took one step forward, its reptillian body scraping the ground eerily. I began to tremble.

"Youuuu smeeeeelll deeeeliiicious," said the demon, sniffing the air. "How reeeefressshing. I neveeer had such sceeeent befoooore." It exhaled again, the air began to reek of rot and blood. "What aaa fiiiiine MEAL!"

The demon lunged. I closed my eyes reflexively, waiting for death.

It never came.

Out of nowhere, I heard a screech that was not my own, then a howl that made me jump and scurry back.

Light. A rod of radiant, blazing light was being held in the hands of some...boy? He stood in front of me in a relaxed manner, facing the demon that was hissing and shaking it head violently. Its head was steaming and its flesh rotting.

"Cuuurse youuuu guaaaardian!" bellowed the demon. Its lashing tail knocked over trashcans. "How daaare youuu interfeeeere!"

The boy shrugged offhandedly. "Interrupting a demon's dinnertime is my job." He spoke teasingly in a very non-slang way. His words were like music in his angelic voice.

Who the hell was he?

"DIE WORTHLESS GUARDIAN!" roared the demon and lunged again, flinging its massive body towards the thinner boy. My heart dropped, thinking the boy was going to be squashed.

Calmly, the boy expertly threw the rod of light at the demon and speared it through it's head. The body fell to the ground in a huge heap. It began to dissolve into ash, blowing away in the night breeze.

The boy brushed off his hands. "That was easy as ever. And here I thought it'd be a better challenge." He turned around to face me.

I gasped in awe at his beauty.

In the dim moonlight, I saw that he was young, yes, but around my age. His angelic voice matched his angelic face, flawless and prim. His hair was a downward mop of blond. Every detail of his face would make heaven cry. The way the moonlight made his milky skin glow...whoa. He was dressed in fashionable late winter wear, like a model.



...



(Taemin's POV)

The girl was still nailed to the ground like she couldn't find herself to stand. In the darkness, it was hard to see her especially since her hair hid part of her face. Something shiny gleamed from the collar of her shirt - a necklace? She was trembling in fear.

Something about this girl...intrigued Taemin.

He stepped forward and the girl reacted and jumped to her feet.

"Stay away!" she screamed, finally finding her voice. "D-don't come near me."

Her voice was as angelic as his, but more musical and soothing. It made Taemin's heart surge. He had a fleeting thought of embracing the girl for some crazy reason.

Taemin held up his hands to show how harmless he was. "I won't hurt you, little girl. I'm a good person. Did you not just see me defeat that demon?" He slowly took another step towards her and she recoiled. "Look, I just want to see if you're hurt. Are you-"

"I'm fine! Go away!" With that shout, she ran off, surprising Taemin. He should have foreseen this.

"Wait!" he exclaimed, chasing after the girl. She sprinted down the street and Taemin found it hard to locate her in the darkness. Did she disappear? How?

He stuttered to a halt and ruffled his hair agitatedly. Why was he chasing after her? The girl would probably wake up the next day thinking it was a nightmare or something abnormal. But every inch of his being told him to find the girl...

He shook his head, trying to shake away the thoughts about the girl with the alluring voice. He needed to forget it because he was starting to act weird.

"Ugh, I'll just go home," he said defeatedly and ran off.



...



(Alaina's POV)

While I ran away, I willed myself to be invisible, to not be seen. I didn't hear any pursuit and slowed, wary of my surroundings.

Panting, I clutched at my chest. That boy...he made my heart skip a beat. He captured my attention so quickly. That was so unlike me. I never found myself being captivated about another person's appearance.

I hurried home and locked the door. I was shaky and still terrified as I got ready for bed, cleaning myself up, scrubbing grit and sweat that clung to my skin. I had school tomorrow; I needed my rest.

Please, just for once, don't let me dream, I pleaded as I shrugged under my covers. I forcibly shut my eyes and let darkness take me.



...