Chapter 13

Guardian

*Re-edited version 10/26/12*

When I read this over again, I wonder how I wrote this so poetically and so professionally. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? It is one of my best chapters yet and I wrote this late last night and when I woke up before noon. So anyway, sorry for mistakes and confusion. I love comments or just subscribe.

Disclaimer: I don't own pics/gifs of baby Zelo~


 

 

(Alaina's POV)

All of us: Taemin, Key, Minho, Jae, Eunmi and I managed to scrape by the day without feeling overly tormented, especially Taemin and me. So many fangirls would shoot me dirty looks and seem like they would extract their claws and lunge at me to scratch my face. First I was Onew's cherished cousin, then befriended SHINee (but didn't know I lived with them), and lastly the biggest blow-out ever: announced as Taemin's girlfriend despite all the unmistakable threats pointed my way. I was the smart new girl who 'stole' the attention of the hottest, most popular group ever.

Taemin had really knocked some sense into people with his 'my life, not yours to control' speech. Many thought different of him now, not as the cute, animated, dancing machine boy of their school, but the 'cheap sake, loser, nerd's boyfriend'...which was referring to me by the way. Taemin didn't care since he could essentially show that I was his and no one else's, always having an arm around my waist and keeping near. Taemin looked at me with his sunny outlook, his loving smile only directed at me, but it was to lessen the burden that weighed heavy on my shoulders when he exposed our relationship publicly. He was the one punished by the school officials, but I was the one being harassed by so many bitter people. He had it easier than I did.

Ever since Taemin's speech, the border dividing idols and fanatics wavered. The daydreams and wishes of fans shattered by a new perspective. I had heard during class that I was not present in, Key and Minho were approached by some fangirls asking if their 'dear oppas' were annoyed by fangirls and agreed with Taemin's view. The girls were astounded and dumbfounded when they had said yes - not like it wasn't obvious. SHINee being famous was now becoming infamous (for some people, others thought it was a stuck-up, rebellious stage and couldn't help but drool over how cool their idols were).

It was the second last period of the day, I was entering the class all alone because neither Eunmi, Jae, or anyone from SHINee were with me. I evaded the evil looks and took a seat in the very back near the windows - my little lonely area. Like it was mandatory, gossip filled the air.

"Yah, did you hear about that new student?"

"You mean Taemin's nerdy girlfriend?"

"Ani, the other one that arrived today. The boy."

"Oh, yeah. What about him?"

"I heard he's very snotty and apparently thinks likes he's the best. He's like only fifteen years old but is freaking smart to skip grades all the way to senior year."

"Damn, he's in our year."

"Yeah, I heard he's in our class, too. Hope he doesn't sit by me..."

"I wouldn't mind if I could cheat off him if he's so smart.

I had been listening intently, my mind filtering the new information. A new student who fifteen years old in his senior year? That was impressive. He may be smarter than me. Somehow, I wanted to meet this kid. Perhaps I would if he was in this class.

I perked up when I heard, "Look, it's him."

My lips parted in bewilderment.

The mysterious boy from the cafe! The one that made me feel uneasiness all over! What was he doing here? How could brains come with such a daunting, young person like him? With his hair dyed and messed stylishly? Two dark eyes that were black holes?

My eyes widened when he ignored everyone and sauntered over leisurely.

To sit right behind me.

"Oh, look, nerds sitting together. How cute, it makes me want to throw up."

"Losers will be with losers. Does the new kid even know who he's sitting behind?"

I was too busy fretting to react to the derogatory whispers. I felt the gray cloud of uneasiness again, crawling up and down my back. I tensed, shoulders hunched.

He staring at me, I know it, I fibbed nervously. What should I do? I really can't do anything in this situation. Who is he?

 


...



(Zelo's POV)

Ever since he had entered the classroom and class had started, she was acutely of aware of him, judging by her rigid body and quick-paced breathing that he could clearly hear. He stared at her with sharp, evaluating eyes.

She looks nothing special at first, he evaluated intently, but if you look closer, something about her will reveal bit by bit.

He sniffed the air discreetly. His eyes fluttered sensually.

She smelt...enticing. So sweet, slightly floral, yet light and gentle. And what was that other word? Soothing?

The foolish guardians haven't guessed anything about her yet, he thought discreditably. How simple-minded of them, teaching her slowly and gradually. But, then again, the more she learns, the so-called spell on her will wear off. I can sense a spell on her, but it's hidden well. I bet the guardians didn't even notice.

When the teacher had called his name, he immediately interrupted the teacher with the correct answer and said loftily, "Don't address me as Junhong-shi. My name is Zelo, and don't think you can call me that either."

The teacher gaped at him and stammered something stupid and went back to teaching while being flustered.

How boring. Zelo spent the remainder of the class staring thoughtfully at Alaina's back.


 


...



(Alaina's POV)

When class ended, I hurried and gathered my things, intending to rush out. As I did, I sensed a hand reach out and to try to touch me when I was down the hallway. The feeling that was behind me...

I snapped around and caused his hand to hover haltingly in the air. Under his fringe, he raised an interested brow at my sudden actions.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I kept my voice passive under my anxiousness.

He lowered his hand, his other hand held his schoolbag that was draped over his slim, unstaggering shoulder. He looked handsome yet out-of-place in the school's stylish uniform.

"I just had two questions to ask of you," he said simply, his voice low and bored.

I narrowed my eyes. "So ask me."

He surprised me by bowing his head formally. "Annyeong, cafe girl. I'm Choi Junhong, but call me Zelo."

"Uh - hi," I replied warily.

"My first question is, do you recognize me?"

I gulped a shaky breath. "You were that boy from the cafe who ordered black coffee."

A tiny, approving smile almost graced his lips. "You're correct. Second question, do you know where my next class is?" He handed me his schedule and I skimmed at it analytically. I pursed my lips.

"You're in my next class," I grumbled, dismayed.

He snatched his schedule back and jerked a chin at me. "Lead the way, noona."

I frowned at him. "Don't use that word. I prefer being called by my name."

"Akiyama Alaina, am I right?" he responded suavely. "Now, show the way."

Eunmi widened her eyes at me when I entered class with a cool-looking newbie following me like nothing was wrong.

"Why is he with you?" she murmured to me as I took a seat next to her.

"It was his choice, not mine," I whispered back but then quieted when Zelo took the seat behind me again. He did the same thing again, staying close to me and watching me with those deep, aphotic eyes. I felt my stomach churn restlessly. Eunmi shot me worried glances.

I wish Taemin was here, I thought forlornly. In contrast to Zelo who seemed gray and lifeless, Taemin was bright and expressional. He would be the medicine to Zelo's faraway attitude.

Why is Zelo like that? Wait, why was I concerning myself over him?

I could breath again when the dismissal bell rang shrilly. Eunmi and I hustled out of class together.

"Are you okay?" she asked me. "You looked sick in class."

I inhaled. "Just needed some fresh air." We ambled out of the school and into the parking lot.

"Yah, Taemin's girl!" yelled out one mean kid as we passed by. "This is for being such an attention stealer!" He chucked a water balloon at me. Instinctively, I angled my body to covers Eunmi's and waited for the splash.

But a deft hand reached out and caught the balloon before it splattered on me. Very expertly, he threw the water balloon back before anyone could react, smacking at the boy who threw it in the first place, dousing his face. He spluttered away.

I stared at Zelo in shock. He only flicked back his bangs.

"Alaina!" I heard Taemin's voice call my name. He ran up to me and Eunmi, assessing us if we were hurt. He hugged me.

"I saw something," he muttered in my ear, "but then...it changed."

"Zelo saved me and Eunmi from being soaked," I told him.

Taemin pushed me behind him, so he could round off with Zelo who stared back coolly.

"Er...thanks," I said honestly over Taemin's shoulder, talking to Zelo.

"No problem," said Zelo, not breaking his eerie gaze from Taemin's blazing one.

"You should probably go now," I whispered to Eunmi. She nodded warily and ran off.

"I don't know who you are," Taemin said evenly, "but stay away from Alaina. I don't like you."

"We didn't even meet properly and you say such biting words," Zelo provoked, tilting his head. "I'm Zelo. You're dear...girlfriend had helped me before and I just returned the favor."

"Then leave her alone so you won't have to be owing her anymore," retorted Taemin.

"You don't boss me around, hyung," snapped Zelo, eyes glinting, making me fidget fearfully. I tugged on Taemin's sleeve.

"Let's leave before something else happens that we don't want," I pleaded with him. Taemin backed up as I pulled on his arm. He didn't want to leave his back unprotected when Zelo was near. We passed a couple of cars until Taemin fully turned around, an arm around me, his touch calming me. I saw Key and Minho waiting by the car impatiently, looking worried.

"Anything bad happen to you?" Key asked me as we approached them. His eyes scanned me up and down, but found nothing wrong.

We got into the car, Taemin holding me close. Key started the car and pulled out of the campus.

"I ran into the new kid," Taemin reported to his hyungs, sounding serious. "He seems off, just like when I bumped into him at the cafe."

Minho peered at me and Taemin. "You've met him before?"

I nodded glumly. "I don't like when he's nearby. He has this...uneasy aura clinging to him."

"He managed to change my forecast," muttered Taemin, annoyed. "And he's always near Alaina."

"He's really sneaky to approach Alaina without her knowing," stated Key. "How does he manage to get near her?"

I swallowed. "Are you thinking...?"

"We're not exactly positive," said Minho. "Just a guess. Some humans can be...intimidating and strange as a demon, but experienced demons are very tricky, some even look human."

I recalled Key telling me this one time when I'd asked about demons. It wasn't a reassuring thing to know that a disguised demon who looked human might be right next to you.

"We'll have to talk about safety precautions with Onew-hyung and Jonghyun," said Key. "We'll have to set up a watch for Alaina. The kid seems to gravitate towards her."

"You do know I right here listening to whatever you're saying," I uttered dryly.

"I'll just stay with Alaina more," Taemin said, holding me tighter. I glanced at him worriedly.

"Not really, Taem," reasoned Key. "You - or any of us - have all classes with her."

"He's right," I whispered. "Zelo has one class with me where I practically don't know anyone. He always sits right behind me. It's creepy."

The car pulled up on the street where Little Town was located. Amidst the tension, I had to work. Not that SHINee wouldn't lend me money, I needed to earn my own pay. And I wouldn't abandon the Parks so carelessly. I didn't leave the car yet.

"Like I said, we need to ask Onew-hyung and Jonghyun," said Key, sounding irked. "Onew-hyung's been so absorbed in research lately..."

I opened the car door. "Araso. Whatever it is, don't stress over so much. I know you guys are superheroes. You can kill a demon easy."

Minho managed a smile. "Thanks for the uplifting words."

I smiled and pumped a fist. "Hwaiting!"

Taemin and I entered the cafe so I could start my shift. Chunhei greeted us warmly, and winked at me since I was with Taemin. She finally knew Taemin and I were an item.

Taemin wouldn't let me out of his sight. He wasn't so solemn anymore, but wan. When I was finishing up an order, I reached over the counter to raise his drooped chin with my fingers, our Essence clinging automatically. We locked gazes.

"Smile - for me?" I asked him softly.

Taemin looked blank for a minute before smiling angelically. It wasn't my sun, but it was better than nothing.

"I'll protect you," he told me, taking my hand to press it to his soft lips. "Always, like the day we met."

"I know you will. I don't doubt you," I replied back gently.

 


...



(Zelo's POV)

"Good job, Zelo," commented his leader, Yongguk. "Just bait them and find a way to appeal to the girl's tastes. Be...friends with her. It will become an advantage."

Zelo nodded, knowing the plan prior.

Someone snorted from the shadows. "I'll find it amusing when Zelo will fall for the girl."

Zelo glared where the voice sounded from. "Shut up, Jongup-hyung."

Yongguk ignored their stare-down and looked at Youngjae where the scout stood patiently against the shadowed wall. "Youngjae, continue to be the look-out for Zelo. Since it seems you can't get near the SHINee's household without disrupting the barrier, you'll just have to pay attention to other details. Got it?"

Youngjae sighed. "Understood."

 


...



(Onew's POV)

Excluding Taemin, SHINee were in Onew's office for an emergency meeting.

Onew and Jonghyun listened somberly as Key and Minho described their day to them, from the commotion of which Onew knew about, to the suspicion about a demon presence so close to Alaina.

"He might be a high-ranked demon," said Minho arduously. He raked his fingers through his long locks. "Aish, if only we could use the Reader on him..."

"He hasn't done anything revealing yet," added Key. "He's seems very...tame."

"Are you sure he's a demon?" questioned Jonghyun. "He might be something else - like a rogue Guardian or..."

"I don't know much to make a hypothesis," said Key, deflating his slim shoulders. "Taemin is the only one who encountered this demon before. That boy is high-strung over her protection. This demon had changed the course of his prediction and also sneaks up on Alaina so easily."

"What would a demon want with Alaina in the first place?" Onew wanted to know. "Does he want her soul or life...?"

"He would've stolen it already," pointed out Minho. "I bet he had chances to corner Alaina but didn't."

"I bet he wouldn't have waited to kill her if Alaina was the Peacemaker," Jonghyun mumbled. "They've still haven't stopped searching, just like us..."

Onew bristled when Jonghyun voiced his thoughts.

Key rubbed his soulmate's shoulder soothingly.

"We'll find the Peacemaker some day," assured Minho. "It's only been - like what? - sixteen years since we've been on Earth looking for her? We've only been to a half a dozen of schools - that doesn't cover the entire female population."

"But when you add the number of schools over the years that Super Junior, The Grace, Girls' Generation, f(x), and Exo have been on Earth, it should've accelerated the time consumption and coverage area we have," argued Key. "We have people searching in America, China, Japan, Canada, England, and here in South Korea where we have the most numbers. Don't you think we would've had a clue to who the Peacemaker might be?" Key was getting agitated, from worry and hidden disappointment. Jonghyun wrapped an arm around him, but Key was still stiff.

"We're side-tracked about Alaina's well-being to be extending our search for the Peacemaker," murmured Onew. "I'd almost forgotten the stories about who this person is - about her powers and accomplishments. So many Peacemakers who've done good in their lives..."

"Vice-Chairman Youngmin told us she is our priority," agreed Minho gravely. "But somehow since Alaina is Taemin's soulmate, I think our search should be minimized to watch over her."

"Yeah," chipped in Key more passionately. "She's my daughter-in-law. I'm not letting her have her soul stolen by some demon jerk."

"I'm with my wifey on this one," voiced Jonghyun, grinning.

Onew smiled faintly. "Me, too, because I care for my precious cousin. She is one of the best gifts we've received since traveling to Earth." He knew more than that. They didn't know Alaina only had them...

"So what's our protection detail?" inquired Minho.

Onew looked up. "Well, let's see, I'll be going to your school tomorrow to speak..."

 


...



(Alaina's POV)

It was probably midnight and I was still wide awake, too restless in my mind to fall asleep. Taemin was sleeping soundlessly next to me, his lips touching my forehead as usual. He had finally calmed himself to rest, but I on the other hand...

I was afraid I might have a nightmare tonight. I was sure something would appear in my dreams.

I hadn't had a solid nightmare for about a week straight - a blessing to me - but I did have those foreboding feelings more than ever. I've grown accustomed to hide my worries from Taemin unless I was absolutely sure I needed his help. He was too possessive now, all because of what happened in one day...

I stared at the lovely, angelic face in front of me, only a couple of milimeters away. He looked so young and flawless like his guardian family. I skipped a heartbeat when I looked at him. Then my heart would race when he would talk to me. I would blush happily when he said my name and my skin tingled when he touched me. When he kissed me, I swore I went to heaven.

Taemin had told me he would've loved me, bond or not. But the way I saw it, he was only one person with hundreds of girls swooning after him. Would he have even noticed me?

I knew I would've loved him unconditionally. Not just because he looked better than anyone or was talented or had money, but because he was different when he was alone, or when he opened up. Taemin was all light and shine, brightening my gloomy days until all I had were forecasts of clear skies and sun. If we weren't bonded now, I wouldn't have been brave enough to approach him - I would've loved him from afar and just get on with my life, waiting for the outcome of my future.

Was I...fortunate enough this one time in my life? I wasn't married to brave the life of commitment, but I was bonded forever to know I would be eternally faithful and loving. And I would be, no doubt. To Taemin, my soulmate...

And the glorious sun feel in love with the moon who thrived off his light.

I feel asleep by my soulmate, knowing we would be together no matter what.

 


...