Chapter 15

Guardian

*Re-edited version 10/28/12*

Whoop, a double update! I made this chapter very short for a reason so the next chapter could be longer. You'll see why. ^_~ Sorry for mistakes or confusion and leave a comment or subsribe. The next chapter will be about EXO-K's move in with SHINee!!!!


 

 

(Suho's POV)

He waited to break the news of their unexpected move to his group after dinner when some of them returned from their patrols or search. Kai was already packing his stuff, not wanting to wait.

Suho had rolled his eyes at his dongsaeng's impatience.

"Hurry up, guys!" called out D.O, his clear voice resonating so everyone heard it. "Suho-hyung has an important announcement for us!"

"Ooh, what is it?" asked Chanyeol interestedly, plopping his tall body on a couch. Baekhyun slapped his long legs aside to make room to sit.

"Yah, hyung, why is Kai-hyung packing his stuff?" wondered Sehun in puzzlement, tilting his head.

"Is Kai planning to move out?" D.O. asked, perking up. "Swe~et, I get the room for myself."

"Kai, get in here!" said Suho loudly.

Kai suddenly flashed next to Sehun on the other couch, wisps of black matter dissolving around him. He grinned and Sehun elbowed him. "You called?"

"You're not supposed to use your powers recklessly," chided D.O, and Kai rolled his eyes.

"Ahem," coughed Suho pointedly and everyone looked at him to see his arms crossed, losing some of his patience.

"Mianhae, leader," they chorused, looking like pouting children.

Suho softened and exhaled. "Araso. Well, since I have everyone's attention, I can finally say we've been contacted by SHINee for an important mission."

Their eyes sparkled with excitement at the word 'mission', but Kai already knew the details and only smiled secretively, relaxed in his seat.

"SHINee? Mission?" Chanyeol looked like he might pounce on Suho for details.

Suho held up his hands for them to wait and listen. "Ne, SHINee has already briefed me and Kai about their request. You see, we'll be moving into their house in Seoul within a total of two days. It's very urgent that they need our assistance."

"What for?" asked Baekhyun, cocking a brow.

"They have a high-ranked demon they need to dispose of, but he is very tricky and evasive of them. The thing is...the demon is set out for Taemin's...soulmate."

"OMO! TAEMINNIE HAS A SOULMATE?!"

Suho covered his ears from the deafening exclamations. Kai was laughing.

"That's great!" complimented Baekhyun, clapping his hands. "Who is it?"

Suho sighed. "SHINee will let you meet her in due time, but the problem is that SHINee has agreed to follow the girl's plan to draw out the demon and finally kill him. It's very risky, especially for the girl's safety. We are needed as back-up and reinforcement."

Sehun was curiously looking at the unreacting Kai. "Kai-hyung...what's with your smirk?"

Kai's smirk twitched into a grin. "I already know who Taemin's soulmate is, he told me around a week ago. She's pretty. And I know her name."

Everyone converged on him. "What's her name? What's her name?" his groupmates chanted.

Suho rubbed his forehead exasperatedly. "Guys!"

"Mianhae," they apologized again and situated themselves.

"Anyway, we are not to tell another soul about Taemin's soulmate because of her special...background," explained Suho. "We are to be quiet and tell any other guardian or officer that we are moving in with SHINee because of the demons littering their area."

"Why didn't SHINee contact Super Junior instead of us?" wondered D.O. "Super Junior is closer to Seoul than we are."

"Because they trust our loyalty," Kai said. "Aren't you proud they trust us?"

"Of course," cut in Chanyeol with a bright, goofy grin. "We're the best out there. Although...it's too bad we couldn't team up with Exo-M."

"Just the six of us combined with the five of SHINee should be sufficient enough to get rid of a demon," slipped in Suho. "Let's not make this a bigger deal than it is. Remember, don't tell anyone the truth. Go pack your things. I have to head to the schools and tell them we're transferring."

At the mention of the blasted word, everyone groaned. "Ugh, school."

Suho's lips twitched a fond smile. "Just go pack."



...



(Alaina's POV)

The next two days was hard and distressing for us as we waited for Exo-K to arrive, but we started on the first stages of my plan. We didn't exactly name the plan but 'getting rid of the demon pest named Zelo' sounded sufficient. Or 'The Plan' was fine.

Zelo fell into the trap tentatively.

For lunch, I was loitering outside. I sat under a shady tree and munched on an apple I purchased from the cafeteria. Yes, I was alone, but the truth was that Key was monitoring both my and Zelo's movements from afar. Taemin and Minho were somewhere in watching distance, judging and watching carefully. If anything amiss occurred, they would swoop in at a moment's notice to save me.

I could sense him before I heard the rustling movements of leaves sounding from above me.

"What are you doing here, Alaina?" drolled Zelo, sitting perfectly balanced on a tree bough.

I acted surprised and stiffened. The way he said my name so casually...

"What? I can't enjoy being outside? It's more relaxing..." I said, staring up at him.

"I know that," dismissed Zelo, waving a hand. "But what I meant was 'doing here alone'? Aren't you usually stuck with your possessive boyfriend? What is it? Did he get tired of you?" His dark eyes glinted in the shade.

I shuddered. "Ani. He's just helping some kids in the dance club."

"And the rest of SHINee?" He didn't seem to like saying SHINee. I was right when he was suspicious and alert of SHINee.

"They're doing something I suppose," I said, trying to be nonchalant. But I fidgeted uneasily in his presence.

Zelo raised a brow and was quiet before asking, "Mind if I sit next to you?"

"Uh - why?"

"No reason. Does it matter? I sit next to you in class, and this branch is uncomfortable."

I shrugged and scooted aside. "Sure?"

Without warning, Zelo dropped from the branch and landed like a graceful cat on his feet. My mouth parted in amazement but I composed myself as Zelo sat cross-legged on the grass about half a foot away from me. He leaned his back against the trunk base just like me.

"What's with your amazed expression?" Zelo questioned amusedly, staring at my face intently. "Thought I couldn't jump from a branch that high so easily?"

I quickly looked away, blushing, and stammered, "I-I thought you w-were going to hurt yourself. Don't do that again."

"Whatever you say."

I blushed harder. Why was he so...teasing? Maybe even playful under that bored mask.

"Do you always work at the cafe?" he asked me out of the blue.

I blinked and took a glimpse of his relaxed profile. "Ne. But I have shorter shifts on Friday and Sunday."

"I might drop by for more coffee," he told me simply. "You make a good barista. That is...if your boyfriend won't stop glaring at me to stay away from you. He really loathes me. But then again...I hate him, too."

I winced at his words. He was cool and collected but his words held an underlining threat.

"I don't know why you two hate each other, but ease up, you're scaring everyone in class," I said, slightly chiding.

Zelo humphed. "It's natural for us to hate each other."

Don't I know it, I thought sourly. But aloud I asked, "Do you hate me?"

Zelo glanced at me sideways, contemplating, silence echoing in the afternoon breeze. It blew at my hair and our clothes. We locked glances for I don't know how long. I wanted to glance away but I saw something different in his gaze. It captured my interest.

Did I see...regretfulness?

"Ani, I don't hate you," he finally answered, his voice low. "I may envy you just a little."

I chuckled awkwardly. "You envy me? For what?"

Zelo huffed. "I honestly don't know. But we are the same, you know. We're young, intelligent, resourceful, and don't like wasting our time with nonsense."

"Nonsense is good sometimes," I argued lightly. "It keeps you from being overly reasonable and boring."

Zelo chuckled, the sound very new but pleasant to my ears. "Boring it is." He closed his eyes to embrace the peacefulness in the air. "Hmm...I forgot what it's like to relax. School is a drag."

"You don't even pay attention in class," I pointed out.

"You noticed?" he inquired without opening his eyes.

I swallowed. "Maybe once. You're very...quiet."

"I like the sound of quietness, but I'm beginning to like your voice better."

My face colored. "Y-you're such a tease!" I stood up, slinging my schoolbag over my shoulder. Zelo opened his eyes to glance at me curiously. "The bell's about to ring. I'm going to class."

Zelo stood up, brushed off his pants, and grabbed his bag, too. "I'll walk with you - you can't say no because we're in the same class."

I rolled my eyes at the logic. "I wasn't going to say anything. I'll just ignore you."

"Ignorance is bliss, is it not?" Zelo said, still teasing me while being so staid. Not answering, I just ambled to class with him shadowing me. I met up with Taemin near the class door and he immediately appeared at my side, shooting Zelo a glare. Zelo glared back but then quickly looked away to avoid eye contact.

Maybe he was beginning to listen to me.

But he also fell into my trap.

 


...



(Zelo's POV)

The guardians somehow trusted Alaina enough to let her wander by herself, but she also brushed them off a lot. In class, since he didn't dispute against Taemin, both the guardian and Alaina lessened their guard around him, thinking he was being more amiable to the girl's taste. As if he was actually listening to her - he was just trying to get on her good side.

He was doubtful they wouldn't leave her unprotected. He knew Kim Kibum had the barrier casted and had to be wary of his ES. In the hallways, Taemin or Minho would keep their eyes locked on him to see if he made a move. The only time he was alone with Alaina was when she sometimes stepped outside for lunch and he would appear before her. They spoke the lightest of conversations or just sat there. Then they would walk back to class silently.

He only had to keep up this facade until his leader gave him to order to snatch Alaina away.

 


...