Chapter 26

Guardian

*Re-edited version 3/24/13*

This chappie is short, too, and the plot is on the same day as the previous chapter. WARNING: I will be re-checking my other chapters for mistakes and fixing them. I know they're small mistakes but they still bother me. I will also be revising my foreword if I get a chance today or within this week with all this writing stocking up my day. (It takes me about ten hours for one chapter with some skimful re-editing.) I promise to update my Maknae Love story sometime soon but not today. Thank you for comments/subscriptions. Excuse me for confusion or mistakes. Suspense will be building up next or next next chapter if you know what I mean. ~_^ OMG, just three more days. I'm going to go crazy that day. >.<


 

 

(Alaina's POV)

None of the older guardians were so keen in allowing Kai and Taemin to be home alone with me. So, after a quick round of rock-paper-scissors, it was decided that Suho would remain home to supervise (babysit) us. Before departing, Jonghyun and D.O delivered Kai an intimidating message of don’t-you-dare-do-anything-stupid-while-we’re-gone by staring the younger one down. Onew patted my back reassuringly, Chanyeol grinned heartily, and with that, the four guardians hustled into their ostentatious cars, revving the engines before racing down the streets to the university.  

Suho waged a chiding finger at Kai. "Absolutely no teleporting without permission, araso?"

Kai rolled his eyes. "I know, hyung, geez."

The mahogany-haired leader smiled faintly, amused by his junior’s change in demeanor. Once dejected and aloof, now sprightly and joking. Rest assured, the older guardian split from us and padded down the hall, humming a silvery tune.

My soulmate took my hand, and my silly little heart flip-flopped the slightest at his natural impulse to cling to me. We said nothing as he led me upstairs to the music room. As I plopped down on the puffy leather couch, Kai snatched a laptop, inserted a homemade CD, and selected a song. A type of pop-ballad song played, and I blinked when I realized the singer was D.O, his riveting, crystal-clear voice beautifully joined with Baekhyun’s pleasant, husky one in the background.  

 

She’s ma babe
Saehayan geu son kkeut-e
Nog-a beolin choco latte
You’re walking into my door (oh, yeah)
Jomdeo neolnaege boyeojwo (don’t lie) soljighae jindamyeon (gonna be easy)
Dan hanbeondo neukkil su eobsdeon dalkomhan harmony
Don’t be too late

 

I gaped, flabbergasted by the sweet, enticing song combined with the slow-to-fast tune and harmonious pitches of D.O and Baekhyun. "D-did you guys make that song?" I stammered in awe.

Having plunked down on the couch with me, Kai scratched the nape of his neck, balancing the sleek laptop on his crisscrossed legs. "Ne, hyungs constructed the song and lyrics. Sehun and I collaborated on the choreography. This song wasn’t exactly Chanyeol-hyung's taste, so he just worked on other songs."

My interest was piqued instantly. "Do all guardians sing and dance?" I probed. It elucidated why the music room was so expensively equipped, and how the guardians cherished and associated themselves so closely with music – as if attached by the hip. My mind wandered to Onew and Jonghyun with their unique voices, Key and Minho with their strong rapping, and Taemin with his soul-inspiring dancing.

Kai nodded. "It's a key component in our culture. When we guardians are off duty, we kick back with music. Dancing helps coordinate our footwork and synchronization - it's useful in battle." He didn't elaborate any further, fearing the protection spell might wear off if I learned more, but I could fill in the holes.

I chuckled amusedly. "That is...very resourceful."

Kai brightened. "Wanna see me dance to the song? I have it ready for this part."

I smiled sincerely. "Ne, why not?"

Motivated by my answer, Kai sprang to his feet to position himself in the center of the spacious room. When I clicked play, Kai’s character changed, his handsome face composed into a blank, focused mask. His nimble body moved fluidly with the music.

                                                                                            

She's ma babe
At the end of those pure white fingertips
Is the melted choco latte
You’re walking into my door (oh, yeah)
Please show me a little more of yourself (don't lie) If you can be honest with me (gonna be easy)
A sweet harmony that I was never able to feel before
Don't be too late

 

I was mesmerized by the swift, cutting-edge movements made by my soulmate, the dance corresponding exactly to the song’s mood. Kai never missed a beat or a footing, too absorbed in dancing, and that’s when I realized he was lost in his own world, his own passion. I was almost disappointed when the little excerpt ended. My personal performer grinned sheepishly and flourished an arm, bowing at the waist goodnaturedly.

"Sugoi," I uttered, nearly speechless. "The way you danced...the moves matched the mood of the song so well. It was brilliant!"

My praise evoked him to be cocky once again. Kai winked. "That's what I was shooting for." He plopped down onto the couch with me again, one arm draped around my shoulders. "I can't wait until we actually finish the song, and bunch of the others.” The laptop balanced on my lap; he reached out and scrolled down the list of recorded songs. “Remember how Exo is one?” he asked and I nodded. “Not only are we brother groups who fight together, train together, and live together, we also create music together. The difference is, although the music sounds the same, we sing in different languages. Exo-K sings in Korean, and Exo-M sings in Mandarin. The lyrics are written with the same concept in mind.”

"What does it sound like in Chinese, then?" I ventured, honestly curious. "Who sings this song in Mandarin?"

"Chen-hyung," he replied. "He and Luhan-hyung are the main singers. But Chen-hyung likes hitting long, high notes."

"Must be some voice," I commented.

Kai browsed through the music files on the laptop. "I think...ah, it's right here." He clicked on something and the same song played, but with a different voice and language. I couldn't understand it, but it sounded amazing, too. The singers sure were talented.

"How do Exo-M and Exo-K communicate when you two speak different languages?" I asked, just realizing the complication now.

Kai chuckled. "Oh, it's not hard to communicate. All of Exo-M speak in limited or fluent Korean – they always address us in Korean. We try to return the favor by talking in Mandarin, but it's difficult."

"That’s neat. Now I want to meet them so I can speak Chinese," I said, slightly joking, but I really did want to. "It's the only language I hadn't taken consideration to."

With that one arm he had slung around me, Kai completely encaged me and tugged me closer to his side. "No, no, no," he protested in a sing-song voice. "They'll take all your attention away from me. Besides, some of them are…." He trailed off abruptly, catching himself from saying something stupid.

"Some of them are what?" I pressed, a knit forming between my brows as Kai pretended it was nothing by waving it off. "Oh, come on, tell me."

"Oh, nothing, nothing," he assured me, but I wasn't convinced. I raised a suspicious brow.

"I'm going to ask Suho, then," I taunted, standing up, but Kai pulled me right back down into his chest, his arm unyielding around my waist. His possessive grip didn’t allow me to budge one bit.

"Aish, fine," he mumbled, not meeting my questionable gaze. I thought he seemed... discouraged? "Remember when Baekhyun-hyung told you that Exo-M was considered the maturer half?"

I nodded in affirmation.

"They kind of are. Overall, they're older, ne, but not so..."

"Childish?"

"Ne."

I peered at Kai more speculatively, his eyes tight and expression guarded. He was deterred because….

Oh, he was jealous.

My lips were twitching as I fought back an amused grin. Haughty Kai was jealous of someone for something they had (like when I was only Taemin’s previously), but I guessed it was more than just possessions he was envious of.

Crossing my arms, I stared at Kai who had gone mute, which only confirmed my suspicions more. "They're better looking aren't they? Or maybe the word hot is the correct term because everyone uses it these days. Ah ha! You admit there's someone better looking than you!" I gasped in mock surprise. Kai only pursed his lips as I spouted a heap load of obvious answers. "You're afraid I might like them." I softened. "Babo, I love you and Taemin."

My disheartened soulmate sighed in relief when I told him that, then blinked belatedly and abruptly backtracked. "Wait, did you just say...?”

I scrunched my face, wary. "Say what?"

"You just said 'I love you' to me," he pointed out, an elated grin starting to form on those plump lips.

Holding up my hands defensively, I sputtered, "N-no, I didn’t! I said 'I love you and Taemin'."

"Yeah, but toss out the last two words and it's just 'I love you'," Kai countered gleefully. If I was trying to thwart the truth, then I really did say what I had meant.

"But it has the two last words, so, ha!" I rebuffed evasively, but wavered because Kai wasn't discouraged at all.

"Just admit you love me," he cooed, grabbing my chin and forcing me to look at him face-to-face. I blushed deeply and averted my gaze elsewhere. Anywhere but his handsome face.

"A-ani," I mumbled, embarrassed. Kai was too persistent while Taemin was more withholding. One factor I had to transit to. Whatever Kai did to me threw me off track since I was still in tuned with Taemin. I ducked my head into Kai's shoulder to hide my bashful expression. His laughs reverberated from his toned chest, low and sweet. He fully wrapped his arms around me and rocked me back and forth contently.

"Guess I don't have to worry about Exo-M hyungs stealing your attention," he said confidently. "Because it's only you, me, and hyung when he wants to be." He hummed, and I liked the sound with my ears so close to his chest. "My beautiful soulmate," he whispered, cheek pressed against my hair.

You’re not the only one falling in love. I think I’m falling in love with you, too, Kim Jongin.

 

...

 

Near lunch time, Suho dropped by the music room to inquire what we wanted to eat, and I immediately took charge, situating myself in the kitchen. The modest leader protested he could cook, but I was stubbornly persistent to do all the work because it was one thing I could do that didn’t render me needy and useless. Fighting was a big no-no, but cooking was a-okay (as long as I didn’t purposely chop my fingers off).

"I wonder if Taemin’s hungry," I muttered, my mind wandering again as I ladled soup into bowls.

“Want me to ask if he’ll eat with us down here?” Suho offered, seeing a chance for me, Taemin, and Kai to be in the same room.

I declined with a shake of my head. Where he leaned against the counter, Kai bit his bottom lip worrisomely. “It’s fine, Suho. I'll bring him a tray. Taemin said he needed time alone after all.”

Suho nodded amiably, abandoning the notion. "Araso."

Kai watched as I left the kitchen with a tray balanced in my hands. He sighed, knowing I was actually checking up on my older soulmate. Regardless of distracting me prior, my mind had still drifted to Taemin, wanting to know he wasn't wallowing in dissatisfaction and regret.

I glided up the stairs carefully and treaded down to Taemin's bedroom. It was still closed, and presumably locked, but I paused by the door and rapped on it. There was some shuffling on the other side, but the occupant didn't answer vocally.

Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I said lightly, "Taemin, I have some lunch for you. Key-umma instructed me you weren't going to miss a single meal." The message was clear enough. Don't forget about your health.

Under the door, a shadow blocked the light coursing out from the crevice, and the door pried open gently. The blond-haired guardian that saved me from a demon many nights ago was relaxed and poker-faced. My heart skipped a beat, it felt like forever since I last seen him this early morning.

"Here," I said softly, handing him the tray, he took it in his deft hands. "Make sure you eat everything," I reminded him in an almost motherly tone and promptly turned to go. I was only a few paces away when I heard his whisper, his tone conveying a small, tender smile.

"Thanks, yeobo."

The invisible hand fisted around my clenched heart loosened, and I couldn't help but smile as I returned downstairs.

Taking a seat at the dining table, Kai and Suho secretly glanced up at me, wary if I was upset or troubled, but I wore a small smile and began eating normally. They breathed, relieved nothing bad happened. While eating, we conversed on light, ample subjects, and cleared the table afterwards. Naturally, I was the one washing dishes, already filling up a tub of hot, sudsy water. Meanwhile, the water guardian was chiding the teleporter, teasing why he didn’t help his poor soulmate with cleaning duty.

Kai pouted, accusing his leader, “You’re telling me this because you don’t want to do chores, don’t you?”

Suho laughed, unrepentant. “Maybe, maybe. Or it’s time you took responsibility and stop taking things for granted, Jongin.”

"I'm fine," I intervened, disrupting their bickering. Chores were nothing to me, I did them repeatedly at the orphanage until they were ingrained into my system to always do whether I was willing or not.

Rolling his eyes at us, Kai grabbed a towel to dry the dishes. Seeing that his junior was cooperative, Suho winked at me before leaving us alone in the kitchen.

"Yah, Kai, look," I said, cupping my soapy hands together to blow a huge bubble. Expanding into a basketball, it went pop!

Kai laughed at my childish antics. "Aigoo, you're so cute."

In reply, I blew another bubble his way and he popped it. We both laughed.

"Playing on the job?"

I embarrassed myself by gasping loudly at his suave voice, my posture going wooden. Kai merely grinned and continued to dry the dripping plates as if minding his own business. The blond stepped forward and placed his empty plateware into the sink. Our proximity was just too close that I blushed unwittingly. My nerves prickled, feeling his luminous eyes fixated on me.

“Babo,” he addressed me unexpectedly, taking my soapy hands and rinsing them clean. My skin tingled frenziedly as he rubbed off the soapsuds. “Your hands will get chapped if you don’t use gloves.” His tone was chiding, but also teasing. He knew I always forgot to slip on gloves before washing dishes.

"R-right," I stammered, listening to his advice. I deliberately scrubbed the plates with excessive strength, afraid to glance up, especially with my face heated as if under the summer sun.

"Finally decided to hop out of the rabbit hole?" Kai asked conversationally, watching Taemin from the corner of his peripheral vision.

Taemin rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, leaning against the counter – a mere six inches away from me. "Yeah, it was getting stuffy in there."

“Did you cool down?” Kai prompted bluntly. “You really snapped at me this time.”

"Mianhae," Taemin sighed exasperatedly, and slouched his slim shoulders. His vivid gaze was trained on me as I quietly worked, head ducked, eyes on the bubbly water. "You keep surprising me," he murmured.

I managed to reply the obvious, "If I didn’t surprise you, then it wouldn't be me, would it?" I smiled, pleased, when I heard Taemin chuckle.

“That's true,” Taemin agreed. “Keep a mental note of that, Jongin.”

“She must be a handful, huh?” Kai quipped. “Like when we just moved in, she got hurt more than once.”

"I know," I huffed, annoyed by the facts, "I'm a danger magnet."

"How do you keep your brain intact when you keep hurting – like, I don't know - your head?" Kai teased me.

I splashed water at him. "Yah! What's your excuse? Did you get slammed into a building one too many times?"

"I did that to him once," Taemin blurted out randomly, smiling at the memory. "I got aggravated when he kept teleporting and hitting me. I just blasted a bunch of energy at him and he smashed into a building."

I laughed, imagining a peeved Taemin releasing his anger out on Kai because of his annoying antics. Provoked, the teleporter copied my earlier actions and splashed water at his hyung, meaning I was also splattered at, too. I was giggling as Taemin retaliated by flicking dish water at Kai. The latter whined.

"Are you guys making a mess down there?" we heard Suho holler from the upstairs hanging.

"Ani!" we chorused and snickered. We quickly toweled off the water-logged sink and counters. Afterwards, I griped the boys’ wrists and tugged them outside into the backyard.

"I know you two just reconciled, but I still think you two need to physically burn out your anger," I advised as we passed the patio area. Outdoors, the sky was a baby blue, the glorious sun accompanied by lazy, white clouds. Swooping birds enjoyed the festive atmosphere of budding spring. “Just a small spar.”

"Curious to see which soulmate is better?" Kai asked, cocking an over-confident brow.

"Me, of course,” interjected Taemin, making the younger scoff.

"Like I said, you two need to burn out your anger with a small spar," I enunciated exaggeratedly. "Boys tend to break out in fights anyway."

"Yah!" Kai whined defensively.

"She has a point," said Taemin, tapping his chin thoughtfully.

A trademark grin formed on Kai's lips again, also accompanied by a competitive glint in those soul- eyes. Anticipation and unrest fueled him. "Then, let’s fight, hyung. We can test your prognostication powers again."

Taemin frowned as the tan boy positioned himself in the center of the green expanse. "Yah, you just want to beat me up again." Though his words were just complaints, he didn’t hesitant to situate himself in front of Kai only a few meters away.

Kai tilted his head slyly. "Then don't get beat up."

Instantly the boy disappeared within a flurry of tendrils, only to appear again to lash out behind Taemin, but the latter foresaw the move and quickly crouched down and swept out his leg. Kai slanted backward, but teleported again before his back hit the ground.

My two soulmates were invigorated by their match, and I sighed knowingly. I was right, they were still displeased with each other, but shackled their frustrations and tried to move on for my sake. Only, that’s not what I wanted. No, they had the right to rant their troubles and loosen the tension in their pent-up bodies. And, therefore, I took initiation, my wish happening before my very eyes.

Kai was stationed a few meters away, but only to comment reluctantly, “Not bad. You saw me.”

Taemin beckoned with a languid hand. "Bring it on."

The younger one narrowed his eyes dangerously. “Warm up’s over,” he growled.

Then Kai flashed right above target, leg descending downward. Taemin raised his crisscrossed arms to block the attack, and the reacting forces propelled them both into a backflip, both landing perfectly fine on their feet.

A knit formed between my brows. I was lucky to be able to see the boys’ super-fast reactions and swift motor skills with my measly-trained eyes (I guess my sensory skills came in handy to detect things). What interested me was the way Taemin easily defended himself from Kai’s formidable attacks… Then it hit me. He could read him faster. Taemin’s foresight had indubitably developed. I recalled him saying he could predict about fifteen seconds in the future, but I was convinced he could see further.

Like second nature, Kai was phenomenally tricky and evasive, capable in poofing in and out of sight in less than a split second. His teleportation was that proficient. So, if Taemin could keep up with the talented teleporter, he had surely progressed in multitasking his diverse powers – both mentally and physically. Unpocketing my cell phone, I had it handy to calculate Taemin’s responses with my timer. I kept my eyes fixated on his focused face, watching his expression and the flicker in his shining eyes.

Whoa, at least three seconds. That was pretty quick.

When Kai was accidentally up close, Taemin released a surge of radiant energy, throwing the younger one back. The dark-haired boy teleported away in safety, wary because Taemin was finally showcasing his offensive powers. The skinnier boy was relaxed because he knew when Kai would or wouldn't attack.

"Dammit, you've been practicing," complained Kai, hands in annoyance.

Taemin shrugged, his own grin forming, yet modest. "Either it’s because I had to enforce my powers with all this chaos going on, or it’s the fact that Alaina’s watching, I'm not backing down."

"Show off," Kai muttered, pouting the slightest.

I laughed at their semi-usual bantering and they smiled at the rich sound. "Aigoo, both of you are amazing and cool and exceptional in-di-vi-dual-ly." I flitted forward from the patio deck and ambled towards them, my shoes crunching on the grass. "And the same thing applies to my feelings, I love you individually." I purposely specified my words or else Kai would tease me again. "Not because I have two important people in my life, but because I love you in your own ways. Your personalities, your attitudes, your powers, your-"

"Looks?" Kai inquired.

I gave him a blatant look. "Yeah, that, too. Don't get cocky." Contrary to my firm words, I softened and took each of their hands. "And also, I love the fact that you hold me in your hearts."

"You are my heart," Taemin said.

"That's cheesy," Kai said.

I only smiled warmly, hazel-shaped eyes shining in sincere affection. "You guys are my heart, too. Two halves that make me whole. Don't forget it."

"Can I have a kiss because I won?" Taemin requested, smiling radiantly.

My eyes widened at the sudden request and my cheeks colored as Kai argued, "Ah ah ah! No way! With your powers, it's basically cheating!"

Grabbing my arm gently, Taemin tugged me towards him while smiling innocently at my other soulmate. Laser stares collided halfway, making me sweatdrop at the intensity. "I've been with her longer, so I have first claim."

In retaliation, Kai tugged me to his side and I squeaked like a helpless mouse. "Well, I heard it took you a week to kiss her while it took me two hours after our bond," he bragged.

Maybe I shouldn’t have told Kai that, it only fueled the competitive nature they boys’ possessed.

"But you knew her before the bond,” Taemin argued. “So, for you, it's actually way longer than that.”

Kai scowled. “Only becaus-”

"OI, GUYS!" I exclaimed exasperatedly, and they looked at me, stunned at my outburst. I wretched my wrists from their partially loosened grips. "Okay, no arguing over claims because you two are so immature. Remember, I have my own say in this." I held up a warning hand when they opened their mouths to protest. "And another thing, I'm not a tug-a-war rope. So none of that. I'm going inside now, my work here is done." I turned around brusquely and sauntered off. Behind me, I felt the boys hesitate and debate silently amongst themselves, then they quickly hurried after me, flitting to my sides, and each taking my hand. Without arguing, they escorted me inside.

That's right, I love them both. I love them with all my heart, but I need the two of them to complete it.

 

...