Chapter 16

Guardian

*Re-edited version 10/29/12*

This chapter was so hard to write because I had to make sure to have every piece of information correctly and there was so much characters to have part in. And then so much dialogue and I didn't write it yesterday so I updated late today. So sorry. Excuse me for mistakes and confusion. Leave a comment or subscribe because those keep me going. Gosh, I feel so lazy and useless. And four days from now, my brother will be back from his vacation and I can't use his computer no more... T_T

Disclaimer: SO MANY PICS! But I don't own any of them. Hoped you liked the visuals, though!


 

 

(Alaina's POV)

From the upstairs window, I quietly watched a moving van and two fancy cars pull up on the driveway and park. Onew and Jonghyun emerged from the house to greet the new guests.

Housemates actually.

Young boys piled out from the vehicles to embrace Onew and Jonghyun, greeting them very excitedly. Someone was jumping up in down hyperactively and another person was trying to placate him.

What a warm scene, I thought amicably. I leaned against the window frame and sighed. I had nothing to do, having finished my schoolwork prior, and Onew said I had a break from Inhuman studies for today. It was mid-afternoon, I had a break from work, and was currently hiding in my bedroom like a locked up princess. Rapunzel perhaps, or maybe Cinderella...?


Then slim arms slithered around my waist and a chin rested on my shoulders. I didn't move, only humming to acknowledge his presence. Looked like Cinderella was locked up with her prince, but only because he didn't want to leave her all to her lonesome.

"Onew-hyung says not to leave until they at least have their stuff in their bedrooms," murmured Taemin in my ear. "It might take a while. Key-umma set up a barrier so they won't sense you in here..."

"I understand, Taemin," I said gently. "You can go greet your friends. I'll just read a book or something."

I knew Taemin was frowning but I heard him say softly, "I'll be back soon. Just give me twenty minutes."

I chuckled. "I'm not going to time you, babo. Just go."

Coaxing me to turn around, Taemin kissed me very sweetly on the lips before reluctantly leaving. "I'll check up on you later!" I made sure to lock the door when he was gone.

I went back to glance out the window again, absorbed by the new people.

Correction: guardians.



...



(Kai's POV)

"Wah~" Baekhyun sang appreciatively, scanning the interior of the wonderland. "I feel like I'm Alice in Wonderland~"


"More like Bacon in Lalaland," snickered Kai.

Baekhyun chucked a box at him and he had no choice but to catch it, grunting at the weight.

"What did you pack in here, hyung?" Kai huffed. "Your ginormous make-up set?"

Baekhyun mehronged at him. "My shoes, now go bring it upstairs. I have to help Yeollie and Suho-hyung with the other boxes."

Kai trudged upstairs, admiring the cozy decorations and warm, vibrant colors of the house when he saw a figure prancing down the large hallway.

"Kim Jongin, long time no see," the angel greeted with a beaming grin.

"I'd give you a bro hug, but Baek-hyung gave me this heavy box and abandoned me," Kai said jokingly and Taemin laughed.

"Here, I'll help you." Taemin took the box in his slender arms, not staggering under the weight.

Kai raised a brow. "Have you been working out?"

"Kinda~ You forgot that my powers can let me withstand larger weight, so this is nothing to me," said Taemin, taking the box to Baekhyun's and Chanyeol's room, Kai on his heels.

Kai stuffed his hands in his pockets, rolling his eyes at the bragging. "Whatever. Anyway, where's your soulmate?" He peered about for the said girl.

Taemin led him back into the hallway. "You'll officially meet her later. Kaja, let me show you your room with D.O." Kai followed Taemin a little farther down the hallway until he abruptly stopped at one door. It looked like the others, nothing special, but he felt a certain pull urging him closer to the door. He inspected it, only sensing some ES guarding it.

"Kai?" Taemin sought out from down the hallway.

Kai reluctantly turned away from the mysterious door. "I'm coming."

 


...



(Third Person POV)

About an hour later, Exo-K's belongings and boxes were stuffed into their new bedrooms or in one of the spare sitting rooms. SHINee and Exo-K assembled in the largest living room to talk.


"So can we finally meet the princess?" asked Sehun, impatient like a child. Exo-K were spread about in the seats, so were SHINee.

SHINee exchanged glances then at Onew for permission. The leader shrugged.

"I guess now wouldn't hurt," he submitted. "She's probably bored being cooped up in her room. Taemin, you can go get her."

Taemin sprinted out the room and up the stairs, a breeze in his wake.

Key shook his head exasperatedly. "Aish, that boy..."

Kai felt his heart race, just thinking about meeting Alaina in person. He was thrilled. The remainder of Exo-K were curious and restless. Everyone sensed an extra presence in the house suddenly as if a door opened.

"Here she is~" sang Taemin as he and his soulmate stepped together in the living room. His soulmate hid partially behind him. She peered past his shoulder timidly.

"Don't be shy now, sweetie," coaxed Key, coming forward and tugging on her sleeve to fully reveal herself.

Exo-K were stunned by her downplayed beauty. Kai felt captivated all over again, but twice more affected since she was right there in front of him.

Alaina wasn't just pretty, neither was she gorgeous, but something of a natural beauty, the word to describe her as traditional and serenic. The way her midnight hair hugged her heart-shaped face, or how her pale and healthy her skin was, maybe by the softness of her face. Even her voice was something to take consideration for.

Alaina wore a black turtle-neck, the long sleeves obscuring her arms up until her wrists, but she wore gloves also. She had comfy, fitting jeans on and the only accessory was a glinting silver necklace tucked under her collar.

"Aigoo, she is pretty," uttered Sehun, nearly gawking.

With her pale skin, it was easy to detect the lovely coloring of her cheeks.

"Komawo," she said pleasantly.



...



(Alaina's POV)

It was finally time to introduce myself.

I bowed my head formally and said in a clear voice, "My name is Akiyama Alaina. I'm pleased to meet some of SHINee's friends."

I knew I looked skittish and jittery, but I was also delighted to meet other guardians. The emotions and relaxed body language of Exo-K eased my nervousness. They were very kind and affable.

Exo-K stood up, bowed, and proclaimed in unison, "We are one! We are Exo-K imnida!"


The mature, kind-looking one with snow white skin greeted politely, "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Exo-K's leader, Kim Joonmyeon, but everyone calls me Suho." He had this caring, gentle, but superior gleam in his eyes that reminded me strongly of Onew.

The tall, lanky one, with a messy mop of curly hair, cheerfully said in a baritone voice, "Wassup? I'm the Happy Virus, Park Chanyeol!" He gave me a pearly-white smile.

The silky dark-haired one with large-whited eyes said in a sure voice, "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Do Kyungsoo, but everyone refers me as D.O." His smile was silly but genuine.

The pretty, thin-framed one with eyeliner said charmingly, "Nice to meet you, I'm Byun Baekhyun." He rolled his eyes as everyone snickered humorously. "Yeah, yeah, I know my name sounds like the English word 'bacon'." He huffed but I only smiled.

Another tall one with a falling mop of mushroom hair and light lisp said warmly, "Yah! Nice to meet you! I'm the maknae, Oh Sehun!" He waved cutely. An aegyo enthusiastic?

The last one was the second tallest and limbered-muscled, standing upright lazily. His rich, tan skin made him stand out; a blank, alluring expression painted on his face. He resembled Taemin in some ways, but gave a more silent, indifferent aura versus Taemin's shining, lively one. He was intently staring at me with those probing orbs that my neck grew warm.

"Yah, I'm Taemin's childhood friend, Kim Jongin, but my nickname is Kai." He winked at me playfully, so much different in contrast to his vacant impression. Taemin gave him a 'nuh uh' glare.

D.O. whacked the back of Kai's head. "Don't think about flirting with her, she's taken!"

"I wasn't going to!" he protested in his defense.

"Oh! Wait a second!" exclaimed Jonghyun and we looked at him queerly. He grinned. "Exo-K, hang on and stay put. I want to see if Alaina can see which two of you are bonded."

"How will she do that?" asked Sehun, looking adorably puzzled.

"Just watch," Minho advised them and Exo-K held their positions. Jonghyun gestured at me to guess.

I took a deep breath and relaxed my body, only concentrating on feeling.

My gaze touched each and everyone of them for a long, judging moment then flickered to grasp this string I could sense billowing invisibly in front of me. Exo-K had a strong bond but not as deep and unbreakable as SHINee. I compared the atmosphere around Jongkey and what type of magic interacted between them...


I found the string.

"You two," I blurted out, pointing at Chanyeol and then Baekhyun.

They both shared smiles and held up their left hands for proof. For a flickering moment, something black and ring-like imprinted on their ring fingers then faded.

"Daebak! That was amazing!" gasped Sehun. "How did she know?"

"Let's sit down and we'll talk," suggested Onew reasonably and we did. Onew, Taemin, and I took up one couch across from Suho, D.O, and Kai. Minho and Sehun were in armchairs, and the soulmate pairs - Jongkey and Baekyeol - occupied the other couch off to the side. Taemin had his arms around my waist as usual, not minding the contact because it wasn't skinship. Kai noticed and looked away.

"For starters," Onew began steadily, "Alaina is a very powerful Mentalist, it's just her powers needs to be experimented and explored more. What you just saw was Alaina's sensory skills. We believe she can sense spiritual things such as connections, bonds, emotions, and even self-awareness like having foreboding feelings."

"How did you know me and Baekhyunnie were soulmates?" asked Chanyeol, his hand tethered with his soulmate's. The picture of them was just so perfect.

I spoke up tentatively, "The bond between you - no, the strong thread of string that attaches you to each other - I sensed it, seeing how it tied you two together like Jonghyun and Key or Taemin and I. It's like I sense...tenors. Everything has a certain atmosphere or color or taste. That's the only way I can describe it."

"She might be able to track, Onew-hyung," pointed out Suho. "With her sensory skills, if you build on it, she may be able to sense people's locations and their connections with others."

Onew nodded. "But her sensory skills aren't the only aspect of her gifts, she has this affiliation with dreams."

"How so?" wondered D.O. "Like premonitions?"

"That and she can jump into other people's dreams and communicate with them," said Taemin.

Exo-K's eyes widened. Chanyeol let out a low whistle.

"Omo, that's cool and freaky at the same time," commented Baekhyun and laughed.

"But I can't control it very well," I confessed. "I'm always wary when I fall asleep, I don't know if I'll have a dream, or a nightmare, or even a memory." Taemin rubbed my back comfortingly.

"And lastly, Jonghyun and I think Alaina may be some type of informative reader," stated Onew. "Alaina had described a memory of mine - full in detail - from my own feelings at the time, to the scents I smelled, and other external stuff like a breeze."

"Whoa," uttered Kai, casting an intrigued look at me.

"So basically a Memory Reader," confirmed Jonghyun. "Right now Alaina is learning the basic of our culture and asks questions from time to time, but we're worried about Alaina's special ES."

"I would be teaching her now to control it but her ES is very strange," commented Key with a knit between his brows. "It just comes and goes as it wishes. When we touch her - skin-to-skin contact - her ES reacts to us in a weird way."

"Is that's why she's covering up her skin?" asked Suho, inclining his head towards me.

"Mainly," I said in a small voice. "When I'm in contact with other people - or even a living thing - it's how I receive memories or experience other people's feelings. It affects my mood and distracts me."

"So basically, despite it being spring and almost summer, you'll be wearing clothes that you'll practically bake in," summarized Chanyeol jokingly.

My lips twitched in amusement. "Basically," I agreed.

"And the reason we have to keep her a secret from the Council and other groups is because you're not sure how she ended up on Earth, claiming she was born as a human but shows signs of being a guardian, correct?" Suho said, looking at the older SHINee members. They nodded back. "Would the Council really throw a fit over her? Her powers are exceptional."

"But with this demon always clinging to her side, we really don't have time go into detail how to reveal Alaina to the Council and how she became Taemin's soulmate," Minho said gruffly, arms crossed.

Chanyeol smacked his hands together. "Finally, the demon. So who is this little twerp?"

I explained to them, "His name is Choi Junhong, but goes by Zelo. He claims to be fifteen-years-old and is such a genius that he's in his senior year. He has the last two classes with me if you don't count how he has boy's gym during the same period when I have girl's gym. He looks like a...punk. Pink-dyed hair, pierced ears, eyeliner, tattoos... He has this uneasy aura emanating from him, and manages to sneak up behind me despite my sharp senses. He's very snappy and unsocial, and usually, the only time I'm alone with him is during lunch when I step out to see him by a tree."

"Isn't baiting him part of your plan?" asked Suho. Kai and Taemin both frowned in unison, disliking that part of the plan.

I sighed. "Ne, but don't worry, Key-umma and Minho are always watching. And now, with the six of you here, it'll be more easier for patrols both inside and outside of the schools. I know Onew-oppa and Jonghyun have to ditch class sometimes to deal with low-ranked demons that loiter the area. I'll be trying to draw out information from Zelo has best as I can."

"So I guess me, Chanyeol, and maybe D.O. can transfer to hyung's university to help them out and then Baekhyun, Kai, and Sehun will transfer to your high school," offered Suho.

"Why me?" asked D.O. "Baekhyun is older."

"But your power is more damaging than Baekhyun's," reasoned Suho. "Having it around a high school might not be the best idea."

"How dare you split Baekyeol up," gasped Chanyeol theatrically and everyone laughed.

"You'll be fine, the separation anxiety has dimmed down, right? And look at Jonghyun and Key, they're being adults about it," Suho replied with an amused smile.

"I'd rather be a whiny kid, please," countered Chanyeol and hugged Baekhyun closer to him, making his soulmate laugh.

My eyes were warm as I stared at the playful, bickering scene.

"Taena understands the separation anxiety, right?" Chanyeol cried, pointing at me and Taemin snuggling.

Taemin and I laughed in unison. "We do," we chimed then laughed again at our synchronization. Kai's composed face softened but he felt kind of jealous seeing us so attached.

"Aigoo, my children are so cute," gushed Key, smiling at his 'kids' motherly.

Onew stood up. "I guess we've explained all we need to share. Suho, do you want to come with me so we can drive to the schools for your transfers?"

Suho nodded amiably and stood up also. He told his group, "Start settling in and don't make a mess. D.O, you're in charge for now while I'm gone."

D.O. saluted. "Understood."

"I'll be making dinner early since we have a bigger household now," said Key, heading towards the kitchen, Jonghyun tagging along.

I stood up, making Taemin do so. "I'll help you, Key, since I don't have work today."

"Komawo, my daughter~" he sang as we entered the kitchen.

Kai watched us go solemnly before heading upstairs with the rest of his brethren to unpack.

If I had read his feelings, I would've known how head over heels he was for me.

 


...



(Youngjae's POV)

Youngjae immediately reported what he discovered to his leader.

"Exo-K has moved in with SHINee?" Yongguk inquired sharply. "For what reason?"

"I think because of the rising demon sightings and for protection for their precious human girl," he said.

"But Alaina has been unaccompanied by her guardians many times now," pointed out Zelo from afar, sitting on a ledge. "Twice this week during lunch hours and once at the cafe."

"They think she's perfectly guarded, then," affirmed Yongguk. "But they forget about Zelo who is inching closer into winning her 'friendship'. Keep up the good work and don't expose yourself."

Zelo nodded blankly, his shoulder sagged.

"I think Zelo should be more alert if anyone is watching him and the girl interact. I know Kim Kibum does frequently and the girl's soulmate," said Youngjae sternly. "I suspect they want Zelo to do something to give them the incentive to attack him. But for what reason?"

"Probably to see if Zelo has accomplices, which is us," said Yongguk, seeing his train of thought. "But we can't do anything about it with Kim Kibum in the way. Zelo just has to maintain his presence and not mess up then." He shot a warning glance at the maknae. "Do not slip up, Zelo. We need to capture the girl when it seems fit. Our sunbaes are deciding if she really is the Chosen One."

Zelo only nodded grimly.



...
 


(Alaina's POV)

Dinner was like a family reunion. The boys conversed in upbeat manners and gobbled up the homemade food. Onew and Chanyeol fought over food the most and Key and D.O. kept chiding everyone on their manners. I only sat by, observing their interactions. When I brought out the strawberry cheesecake I personally made, their eyes sparkled.


"Ooh! Alaina's specially-made strawberry cheesecake!" Key exclaimed happily. "I love that women who taught you at the cafe!"

"But you really only love me," Jonghyun inserted pointedly.

Key only stuffed cheesecake in his soulmate's mouth, effectively shutting him up.

"Alaina-ah works at a cafe?" wondered D.O. interestedly.

I nodded as I passed out the desert to Exo-K. "Park's Little Town. It's about ten minutes away on car. I got hired there my first day here in Seoul."

"Oh, yeah, that reminds me," said Baekhyun as a bell rang in his head. "How come you're here in Seoul when you're Japanese? Does your family back home know you live with a bunch of handsome boys?"

Despite his joking manner, my eyes tightened the slightest and glanced at Onew for help. I didn't want to tell them like this, ruining this blissful moment.

Onew saved me by saying, "Alaina came here on an exchange program, but since we wanted Alaina to move in with us, I used my powers to convince the counselor who oversaw Alaina's well-being that she was my cousin, saying our mothers were cousins. I gained guardianship of her. Her family is clueless of everything."

"But I do contact them by letters," I added, not wanting to seem like I was forgetting my life in Japan. "They're well and always saying everything is fine back home. My...halmeoni always says to keep up my studies and my dongsaengs keep wondering when I'll come back."

Chanyeol glanced at Kai. "You know, Lay-hyung always wanted to go to Japan. He likes the culture there. Maybe we should visit with Alaina-ah and about it." They both grinned at the idea whereas I grimaced, but held up the pleasant facade, not noticing Taemin's eyes watching my face.

"Just call me Alaina," I told Exo-K. "I prefer using no honorifics because my name sounds so weird with it."

"Nonsense," chorused SHINee and I blushed red.

When desert was inhaled, Suho, Jonghyun, and I helped clean up the table while Key and D.O. washed dishes. Baekhyun and Chanyeol joined Onew to the music room. Minho and Sehun were in the backyard playing football.

"Kai and I are going to dance upstairs, araso?" Taemin told me. I nodded and shooed him off to have some fun. After seeing him stressed out by Zelo, I wanted him to enjoy freedom from burden.

"Make sure to wait an extra thirty minutes and stretch," advised Key firmly. "I don't want you getting cramps again."

"And don't turn on the music so loud," added D.O. I was amazed at their natural motherly instincts.

Kai rolled his eyes and Taemin snickered. They ran upstairs to Taemin's room to dance.

Some minutes later we heard someone's cell phone ring and Sehun ran into the kitchen hastily, full of panic.

"Suho-hyung, it's Luhan-hyung!" cried out the boy in distress, holding up his ringing phone. "What happens if he asks where I am? I don't want to lie to him!" He was fretting too much.

"Honesty is divine but you do have a point," Jonghyun said. "Just go back outside to talk."

"I'll stay with you to make sure you won't give anything away," Suho assured. The leader and maknae disappeared outside to answer the call.

"Who's Lay and Luhan?" I asked aloud, recalling the names the Exo-K members spoke of so familiarly.

"You know how when we mention Exo, you sometimes hear Exo-K and Exo-M?" Jonghyun asked me, sitting on the counter, and I nodded. "Well, Exo consists of twelve members in all, split into two sub-units. Exo-K was stationed in Busan and Exo-M in Beijing. Exo-K is considered the younger group and mainly are Korean while Exo-M is Chinese - they speak Mandarin. They are a new guardian group, only becoming official about two decades ago."

"And Lay and Luhan are part of Exo-M," finished Key. While washing dishes, D.O. nodded in affirmation.

"Luhan-hyung and Sehun are very close, like brothers," inserted D.O.

I also asked another question that was heavy on my mind, "What kind of powers do you have in Exo-K?"

D.O. smiled broadly. "Have you noticed the silver rings or clips we have on?"

 

I nodded tentatively, wondering what the fancy accessories were for. Really cool symbols though...

"It's our symbols, our powers," he clarified. "Mine is earth. Suho-hyung's is water. Chanyeol's is fire. Baekhyun's is light. Sehun has wind, and Kai-"

"-has teleportation," I finished for him. "I know, I heard."

"Our symbols glow faintly when we use our powers," D.O. informed. "But some of us in Exo have extra...talents."

"What do you mean?" I asked, completely intrigued.

"By using their ES, some of them can summon a beast that is assigned to them because of their symbols," explained Key. He nudged D.O. with an elbow since his hands were wet from washing dishes. The ummas dried off their hands. "D.O. here can summon a sabertooth tiger and Chanyeol can summon a phoenix."

"That's amazing," I breathed.

"Because Yeollie's powers is more flashier, he became second-in-command." D.O. rolled his eyes. "But I'm more responsible."

I glanced at Jonghyun. "You're second-in-command of SHINee, right?"

He nodded, grinning. "Because I'm second oldest and my powers are-"

"-annoying," clipped in Key.

"Do you want to be mute again?"

"I dare you, Kim Jonghyun. I'll just set up a barrier around myself."

I deserted the kitchen with D.O. as Jongkey quarreled. Outside, I could hear Sehun playing football with Minho again. Suho was probably upstairs. Music blared from the music room. I heard rapping and singing all mixed together. D.O. went to join Onew, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun as I slipped into my room.

So much information giving away in one day, I mused as I sat at my desk. My mind was going to explode soon. Ugh. I'll just write a letter to Ayano.

 


...



(Kai's POV)

Taemin and him were taking a break, sprawled on Taemin's bedroom floor. Taemin was staring out the window dreamily while he was staring up at the ceiling thoughtfully.


Kai asked aloud, "Yah, Taemin-hyung, have you've been practicing your prognostication powers?"

"Ne," he replied, sitting up. "I'm up to fifteen seconds now. In fact, I saw you ask me this question but I waited anyway. Ever since I met Alaina, I've been seeing more than ever, but that demon keeps changing the course of prediction."

"Maybe if I practiced with you again, it might boost up your time," offered Kai mischievously, grinning.

Taemin reacted indignantly. "Ani! You're just saying that so you can have an excuse to hit me again!"

"That was so fun," laughed Kai, clutching at his stomach as he recalled the memory. Taemin's prognostication was useless when it came to Kai's speedy teleportation. He could never predict the moves fast enough.

"Is someone laughing?" ventured her lovely angelic voice, a figure easing into the room. Only she could make Kai nervous and charmed at the same time.

Taemin brightened and sprang to his feet. He ran up to his soulmate to spin her around in an exuberant hug.

Her laugh reminded Kai of a child's. Beautiful. Carefree. A peal of chimes.

"Put me down, Taemin!" Alaina cried out. Taemin did but didn't let go of her. She patted down Taemin's disheveled blond hair. "You know, the dye is fading. Are you going to grow it out naturally soon?"

"If you want," Taemin said.

"You look like a girl with blond hair," commented Kai, rising to his feet. "And like a dork when it's black."

"Like you don't worry about your hair," Taemin retorted.

Kai ruffled his hair. A stylish mess. "I look y no matter what." He winked at Alaina flirtatiously. "What do you think?"

Alaina flushed pink and looked down. "I really don't use words like that but sure."

"Ha!" Kai gloated at Taemin, pointing.

"Yeobo!" complained Taemin.

Alaina ignored the pouts. "So you two were dancing?"

Kai crossed his arms and stuck his chin in the air proudly. "I'm the better dancer."

"But I was born to be the best," countered Taemin.

Alaina rubbed her forehead. "Can you please stop quarreling? There's a reason I ditched Jongkey downstairs."

"Wanna see us dance?" asked Taemin expectantly.

"If you want," replied Alaina to which Taemin beamed.

The love that came alive between them... Kai fidgeted, feeling out-of-place. The two soulmates could easily lock gazes but always blush in admiration. Whereas Kai only had enough courage to look at Alaina's face when she didn't notice.

What he would do to be in Taemin's position.



...



(Alaina's POV)

When it was nearing nine, everyone decided to head to bed. We only had a day of school left this week until the weekend. Lucky for Exo-K because they would only have to deal with school for one day, situate with their surroundings, get the gist of the demon problem, and we could reorganize over the weekend.

In bed, Taemin and I hadn't fallen asleep yet. I was tired, yes, because of the restless dreams recently, but I was anxious about tomorrow.

"Alaina?"

I glanced up at Taemin's face inches away from mine. He was looking at me intensely.

"What is it?" I whispered, concerned.

"During dinner...when Baekhyun asked about your family back home...why did you seem so sad?" he asked, voice low.

I looked away from his searching eyes, downcast. "Nothing," I mumbled. "It's just that-" I broke off. Should I tell him? Now?

Taemin raised my chin so I couldn't hide my face. "Just what?"

"I miss them - my family," I managed to say, truthful, but still secretive. "And when Onew-oppa told them that he was my cousin, I remembered being bullied by Soojin and her friends. That's all." I sounded hoarse.

Taemin crushed me to his chest; I sniffled into his shirt. "It's okay, it's okay," he placated me sweetly. "You'll see your family again someday, and Soojin is gone."

"People still hate me at school," I muttered, my voice muffled by his shirt.

"You don't need them, you have a bunch of people who like you. Jae, Eunmi, Kyungmi, all of SHINee, and Exo-K definitely warmed up to you." He pressed our foreheads together. His voice was warm and sweet, "And I love you."

A tear fell as I felt those words pierce me in my chest, hitting home. I laughed because I knew it was true and was too dense to realize this. Taemin kissed my tear away.

"I'm such a babo," I whispered. "I love you, too, Taemin."

He chuckled softly and kissed me until I relaxed.

"Now go to sleep," he told me and wrapped the blankets around me. I buried my face in his chest and closed my eyes, hoping for a dream with all the beloved people in my life.

 


...
 


(Taemin's POV)

When Alaina had mentioned the word 'family', it got him thinking.

I'd love to have a family with you, yeobo, he thought lovingly, watching Alaina drift off into dreamland. Her breathing was gentle and eyes fluttering. You'd be a great mother. But for now, let it just be the two of us. We have all the time in the world, and I'll never leave your side.

Ever.



...