Chapter 20

Guardian

*Re-edited version 11/4/12*

Sorry for the late and sloppy update, my brother had finally returned home and I dawdled a bit too long on his computer listening to music (k-pop of course!) and enjoyed my last minutes with audio (because I don't have sound on this laptop). I tried hard with this chapter but it seems okay than good. Excuse me for mistakes and confusion, but please comment or subscribe because it keeps me going! I'll update for 'Maknae Love' soon, maybe later in the week if I remember. And those who feel sympathetic for Kai and Zelo, don't stress, there's a reason for everything. Oh, and heads up, the main character gets hurt again. T^T I'm so mean to her but she's strong! I also changed the font, but if you don't like it and wish to switch back to the original, just tell me! ~_^

Disclaimer: I don't own pics/gifs! Well, hello there Youngjae.


 

 

(Alaina's POV)

Finally, it was Friday. Whether or not our plan - or my powers - would work at all, we had to try. It seemed like Zelo was slipping from our sights more and more everyday. In fact, the only time I saw him was during lunch, he would skip classes often now (much to Taemin's and Kai's desire for him to really disappear). After school ended, I bid Eunmi goodbye and took the bus to Little Town's. I had almost forgotten what it was like to ride public transportation, being driven around by Key or someone else so much, and I was cautious with other people, but to them, it was just another normal day. I knew everyone else was in their positions, acting, hiding, waiting. I think I sensed Suho and D.O. in the distance - who were to guard me until my shift ended.

I was too nervous. Too impatient. I needed to calm down and act natural.

"Yah, you're here," Chunhei greeted when I entered the cafe. We had a decent amount of customers today. Chunhei eyed me up and down critically. "You feeling better?"

I smiled slightly. "As long as I don't irritate my wounds, I'm fine," I assured her and hurried to put away my bag and tie on my apron. I was immediately herded to a table to jot down orders and scurry off and fulfill my tasks. Chungcha would watch over me with a cautious eye, seeing if I was struggling with my injuries, but I braved through. Working again distracted me from the upcoming initiation of the plan, but I focused on my tasks; I even loosened up.

"So where's your boyfriend or that pretty boy with the fancy car?" Chunhei asked me when we were bustling in the kitchen, hastily cooking or baking. "I thought they dropped you off everyday?"

I exhaled softly and promptly lied, "Taemin is teaching a dance class with a friend and Key is doing an activity with club at school. I told them it was fine not to accompany me because I could take the bus."

Chunhei raised a skeptic brow then shrugged. "Araso. I just found it weird because they're glued to you by the hip."

I shook my head in amusement and hurried off to serve the food. In only a few hours, the rush hour passed and the cafe was less cramp.

"Komawo, noona!" squealed a little boy as he and his sister played around with the paper cranes I made them, leaving the cafe with their parents. I smiled warmly and waved them goodbye.

"Do you always seem to please children?" mused a familiar bored voice, sending cold tingles up my spine. How did he sneak up behind me still? I composed my startlement and turned around to see Zelo sitting lazily in a counter seat, his chin propped on his hand.

I swallowed. He's here. I thought he would've appeared after I finished my shift. Guess I have to improvise.

"Do you want anything?" I asked him mildly, fiddling with a towel.

Zelo's eyes bore onto my face, an expression flickering in his black eyes, but also disappearing in a blink of an eye. He said coolly, "A cappuccino."

"Here or to-go?"

"Here's fine."

I nodded and walked off promptly to fix up his order. I could feel his gaze still piercing my back, never straying.

Well, isn't he a hard nut to crack, I thought somberly. I need him to loosen up.

Zelo pretended not to have been constantly staring at me when I returned to the counter with his order. Inwardly, I grinned in accomplishment when I saw a flicker of surprise in his face when he saw my little artistic work. On the surface of his cappuccino, I had sprinkled chocolate shavings in a shape of a heart.


"What is this?" he inquired levelly, trying to hide his bewilderment under his stoic mask.

I blinked innocently. "Your cappuccino, what else?"

"You sure are unpredictable," he said almost teasingly. "Do you make little hearts for every customer that comes in or it's just me?"

"That's my first time, so be honored," I retorted and left him at the counter to clean tables.

Zelo stared at his cappuccino for a long, silent moment. Somehow, he didn't want to mess up the little heart. His fingers traced the rim of the white china very gently. Inside of him, he felt this tang of regret and sorrow fluttering in his chest. He released a languished sigh and deliberately stirred the cappuccino, the heart swirling and vanishing like it was into a black hole.

He counted this as the first and last gift I will ever give him.

Coincidentally, my shift ended not to soon. I ducked into the back room from Zelo's presence and took out my phone to send a text to Jonghyun.

He appeared before me about ten minutes ago. My shift has ended and I'm heading out.

I tossed my apron in the cubby and heard my phone buzz back.

Got it. Be careful and proceed with the plan. Key and Taemin are ready in their positions and Suho and D.O. have been excused for now. Delete this message afterwards.

After deleting the message as told, I nodded to myself determinedly and headed back in the front with my bag.

"Good job with today," commented Chunhei when I met up with her by the counter. "But umma is worried you tired yourself out. She says you have a half-day tomorrow."

I was tired but the spark of energy in my eyes said otherwise. I smiled gratefully, shouldering my bag. "Tell her thanks and not to worry. Excuse me, I gotta go to the bookstore down the street."

"I'm not sure you should wear yourself out more, kid..." Chunhei said worrisomely.

"I'll go with her," chipped in a voice. We both looked up to see Zelo leaning against the counter leisurely.

Chunhei blinked, unsure. "I guess so, but young man-"

"I know him," I blurted out, seeing my chance. "He's a classmate of mine."

Chunhei looked at me hesitantly and shrugged. "Alright, then. Be careful you two."

Zelo trailed after me as I exited the cafe, my head ducked, feeling awkward with Zelo. He wasn't exactly a stranger but neither was he an approved friend. Glancing sideways at him, I noticed how slouched and sluggish Zelo was. Despite the warm air, he was wearing a jacket, partially covering his tattoos and his pale skin.

"Aren't you hot wearing that?" I recalled Kai saying something similar to me earlier this week when we we relaxing outside, lying under the sun. I felt all nostalgic thinking about our tender moment.

Zelo glanced down at me and shook his head. "Aniyo. I'm...cold."

"It's the middle of spring, though, " I reasoned. If he covered up so much, I might have to resort to touching his cheek or grabbing his hand.

He crossed his arms, but I saw how he pressed his lips into a thin line almost like an involuntary wince. Was he bothered?

"Are you really accompanying me to the bookstore?" I asked him more softly, looking away from his closed-off face.

"Since I told that lady I would, I have no choice now," he replied back indolently, implying he would stay because he wanted to.

When we entered the bookstore, Zelo still stayed close to me, watching my every move and every expression that crossed my face. I tried not to seem intimidated because of his...inhuman-like actions.

But what made me feel better was how Zelo's stoic expression softened over time, gradually and discreetly. I could tell because I had an affiliation to see details when I was so...intrigued.

Could a demon be gentle? Be so emotional?

"Did you come here to buy anything specific?" Zelo asked me as I purposely skimmed through shelves.

"Um...a fiction book perhaps." I pursed my lips. "I haven't read manga in so long..." Since I left Tokyo, I added in my head despondently. I paused to spare a curious look at him. "Do you like to read?"

He shrugged. "Sometimes."

Zelo still wasn't much of a conversationalist and neither could I be so subtle making contact with him when he stood off to the side. He was more unsocial and unapproachable than me!

I purchased a book - more for show than enjoyment - and led Zelo back outside. The evening was dipping into the horizon with the rays of orange and mixing with blue - almost fully night. Zelo was staring upwards, like he was alerted by something. He inhaled the air, catching a scent.

Please tell me he didn't sense Taemin and the others, I prayed. I hadn't even got a reading off him yet!

"I-I need to take the bus home," I stammered over my anxiousness. "C-can you walk me there?"

Snapping from his stupor, Zelo glanced at me. Again, I noticed how he softened. "Since you asked, and I'll repay you that way for the little heart."

Streetlamps blared yellow-tinted illumination. Stores were even a brighter source of light with their florescent signs. Some cars zoomed by. Bystanders minding their own business as Zelo and I walked down the street quietly. We were too stiff and distant to be referred as close friends.

What should I do? What should I do? I fretted in my head. Think of something!

Before we reached the bus stop, Zelo and I both sensed people following us. A group of thugs? A gang? They were stalking us, wondering why two kids still in their uniforms were loitering around their territory.

 


...



(Third Person POV)

"Yah, you high school kids!" boomed one man behind them, his voice rough. "Where're you going?"

"Come on," muttered Zelo, grabbing Alaina's sleeve and turned a corner, but parallel to them, two mean-looking men had their sights set on them.

"What do you brats think you're doing - stepping in our territory at night?" demanded an ugly man, looking very menacing (but not like guardians when they're mad).

"Oh, look, they're from that rich school," jeered someone, noticing the insignia on their blazers. "Do you think they have some money?"

Suddenly Zelo was standing firmly in front of Alaina, hiding her slender frame behind his taller built. He glared at the six men who surrounded them threateningly, all buff and cruel-looking in the faint moonlight. One man had a baseball bat, another a crowbar, fiddling with the dangerous weapons in their big hands. Zelo was not daunted and stood his ground.

"Yah, kid, hand over your money or anything worth mentioning before we hurt you in front of your girlfriend," demanded the head man, the one with the booming voice.

"And why should I?" Zelo defied. "You pathetic people don't deserve anything from me."

"Watch your mouth punk," warned the leader with a hiss, stepping forward. "We're serious. We don't mind hurting little kids."

"And I don't mind beating up worthless lowlifes," retorted Zelo, narrowing his eyes. Some of the men were uneasy by Zelo's dark aura. Alaina swallowed thickly, feeling sick by the atmosphere.

"Grab her," growled the leader and a man emerged from the shadows to snatch Alaina and pull her away from Zelo. She lashed out instinctively and let out a scream but the man clenched her in a headlock. Effectively she stopped thrashing, struggling to keep the man's arm from choking off her air supply. She strained to keep conscious, still weak from her injuries and not having rested the entire day.

"Let. Her. Go." Zelo's eyes glinted very coldly and very dangerously.

 


...
 


(SHINee's POV)

The stake out troop were aware of the situation from a not-too-distant rooftop. Taemin was dazed then suddenly scowled.

"Taemin!" Jonghyun reached out to hold onto the maknae when he jerked forward abruptly. "Don't mess up the plan!" he hissed into the boy's ear heedingly as he clinched him into a headlock. Taemin struggled from Jonghyun's secured lock.

"Let me GO!" he shouted. "Those stupid humans are going to hurt Alaina!" He knew he could shout as much as he wanted with Key's barrier and Jonghyun's 'silent range' in effect, hiding their presences and encasing in their voices. Taemin had seen Alaina crumpling to the ground, hurt and scared. The moment was mere seconds away.

Key gritted his teeth, standing rigid as he maintained the barrier, watching the wretched situation from his mirror projection. "Taemin, just wait and see what happens. I think Zelo will...protect her. I don't like it that we have to stand by but stay for the plan's sake. Zelo will get suspicious that we suddenly appeared to their rescue."

"And remember how Zelo noticed another demon's presence?" Jonghyun reasoned with Taemin gruffly. "The other demon is out there, probably watching out for Zelo. He's waiting if we're going to jump out and attack them."

"I do sense the other demon," mumbled Key in distress. "But he flickers, similar to Kai when he teleports but more...slippery."

Taemin huffed. "Let's just deal with them now. Call in Kai and the others."

"Ani, Taemin. Seriously, think straight for once," cautioned Jonghyun exasperatedly.

Taemin slumped into the headlock, losing the battle against his hyungs. He desperately wanted to rescue Alaina. But other factors stood in their way.

 


...



(Zelo's POV)

Alaina's face was turning paler and bluer the longer the man choked her. Zelo was being circled by the other men like lions surveying their kill.

Finally tired of this nonsense, Zelo snarled, "Alaina, close your eyes."

"What?" she rasped, barely catching his words.

"Do it!"

Trusting him just this once, Alaina shut her eyes, hoping for the best. Only a second after she did, the vice-like grip on her neck loosened and she heard the man crumple to the ground with a groan. Alaina also fell to her knees weakly, her hands braced against the gritty ground, eyes still shut. Other sounds like grunts and smashes resonated in the air. It made her stomach churn in disgust. Alaina was gasping and breathing hard, feeling her head swim.

Zelo had beaten up the gang in a mere five minutes. They were knocked out, laying as a heap on the dirty street, the baseball bat and crowbar bent and tossed aside. The leader looked particularly horrible, his face swollen and black from being punched and smashed in.

Remembering the incentive for his reckless actions, Zelo turned around to see Alaina hunched over on the ground, traumatized and trembling. He instinctively rushed over to her, kneeling before her. He reached out to touch her cheek but hesitated, his hand hovering between them.

"Don't open your eyes unless you want to see the mess I made," he mumbled, aggravated. He was berating himself for not protecting Alaina more attentively and knowing his hyungs would punish him later for letting the Chosen One be damaged again.

Alaina nodded feebly, keeping her eyes sewn shut. She couldn't find her voice to speak or say thank you.

She stiffened when she felt something be draped over her shaking form. Zelo buttoned his jacket on her.

"I'm going to take you to the hospital, your neck is bruising," Zelo told her. "Don't freak out, I'm going to carry you."

"I-I'm fine," she said hoarsely, finding some strength to stand up. But her feet were suddenly swept up, her body being cradled in capable arms.

"What I say goes," Zelo told her firmly and he ran off from the scene.

 


...



(SHINee's POV)

"! He's on the move, and he has Alaina!" Key cried out, seeing the image happen in his handheld mirror.

"Kaja!" shouted Taemin and dashed forward. His hyungs pursued after him.

"Key, adjust the barrier!" ordered Jonghyun as they jumped and sprinted on rooftops. "I think Zelo's accomplice notices we're moving!"

"Got it!" Key formed an invisible barrier that would flex and adjust as they moved. No humans saw or knew of them traveling above them. Key kept an eye out for Zelo's and Alaina's whereabouts by peering into his mirror as they ran. With his guidance, they turned or changed directions.

"The direction they're taking...he's taking her to the hospital," he realized belatedly.

Taemin glanced at him sideways very dubiously. "Why? Isn't he kidnapping her?"

"He's worried for her well-being?" Jonghyun also questioned skeptically.

"It seems fishy..." Key furrowed his brows, miffed by the notion.

 


...
 


(Alaina's POV)

I buried my face in Zelo's chest, feeling the breeze whistle past us as Zelo ran, not burdened by my weight. He was like Taemin...tall, slightly lean, and slender, but his appearance hid raw power and strength.

I was staring at Zelo's arms.

Zelo's jacket was buttoned around me, and his blazer sleeves were scrunched up to his elbows, allowing me to see his wiry muscles and the fading bruises mixed with fresher ones. An ugly mash of yellow, gray, purple, and red blemishing his pretty pale skin.

Did those thugs give him those wounds? But he was a demon, fighting humans shouldn't have harmed him that bad.

In our close contact, his emotions transferred to me. I could hear voices in my head, my eyes fluttered as I listened, trying to comprehend these...memories. So much to remember...

The Chosen One must be captured soon, those blasted guardians are planning to counteract.

Zelo, stop trying to avoid her, what are you afraid of?

I bet little Zelo here as feelings for her. Ani, wait, don't tell me you're being sympathetic towards her. A girl?

Don't grow attached to her, she'll be sacrificed for the King soon enough. Keep her ripe until then, we want her healthy.


Then I read his feelings and thoughts from when Zelo was fighting the gangsters.

Dammit! Why am I so different around her? I'm fighting because I don't want to see her hurt, but why? Just why? This is so stupid, I'm told to befriend her then hyungs beat me up for being close to her. WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE HER? She's a good person! Why did I have to be a damn demon? I only did it because of hyungs! They should respect me more!

Zelo was frustrated, beyond frustrated, he was furious and frenzied. He found me, someone who did little inconsequential things for him - spending time with him during lunch, thanking him over the smallest things, smiling at him when I shouldn't, putting myself in harm's way when he'll be eventually ordered to snatch me away from people I cared about. He thought I was stupid and stubborn for someone intelligent and rational. Because of me, he was reminded of the quirks of being a human, being the person you wanted to be. But Zelo had no choice, he was silenced of opinions and dragged on with his life in a dark, gloomy world.

Poor Zelo, I whispered in my head before losing consciousness, being held by a boy who hated his inner demon.

 


...
 


(SHINee's POV)

"Looks like Key was right. He's sees Alaina being put on a gurney and wheeled off to be checked up," muttered Jonghyun, not satisfied she was in the hospital in the first place. The three of them were staking out on the hospital's roof, the night wind blowing at their hair and occasionally hearing bird caws in the distance. The pipes and vents on the rooftop hummed and whirred.

"Alaina better be alright or else I'm going to skin Zelo," Taemin grumbled, needing to cool his head off. He disheveled his fading blond hair in agitation.

Key was still intently watching his mirror feed. He relaxed his shoulder slightly. "Alaina isn't that badly injured again. She needs an oxygen mask to breath - just in case. is slightly constricted and bruised, she's going to feel sore and hoarse after all that. I'm worried if she'll be able to eat whole food."

"Alaina needs a good luck charm or something," sighed Jonghyun. "It's only been a week and she's hurt again."

Key glanced up. "I wonder if Alaina managed to get a reading off him. He was holding her close enough."

Taemin wrinkled his nose at that.

"Most likely," said Jonghyun and scratched the back of his neck in vexation. "Argh. So complicated..."

Key nodded in agreement. "Guess we'll have to wait. I wonder if the hospital or-" Suddenly Key cut off his words and snapped his head to his right, eyes scanning for something.

Jonghyun and Taemin were alerted by the action and converged closer to Key. "What is it?" Jonghyun whispered, wary.

Key hesitated and flitted his gaze back and forth. "I-I sensed someone. He keeps slipping in and out from my radar. He's nearby - on the roof with us."

Taemin frowned. "How is it he's probably in front of us and we don't see him?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" replied back a voice from absolutely nothing. The three of them flinched at the unexpected sound.

Jonghyun peered in one direction, near the fence that encaged the roof. "I thought I heard a voice over there..."

"Good guess," answered the same cutting voice in amusement. "I have to guess where you are, too, with your spell caster in the way. I predicted you would take the roofs like I do."

"Who are you?" demanded Jonghyun, fists clenching. "Show yourself."

"I won't unless the barrier is dropped," bargained the voice. "Does it matter if you need to protect yourself? It's three against one, and I'm not much of a fighter anyways."

Key hesitated but saw Jonghyun nod evenly at him and eased the barrier.

Like he had just melted into the scene, a young man - a demon - was suddenly leaning against the fence idly. He had close-cut, blond-dyed hair, pale skin, dark, bland eyes, and an uneasy aura clinging to him. He was dressed in layers of fitted black clothing.


He inclined his head. "Annyeong to you members of SHINee, I am Youngjae."

"Is Zelo your accomplice by any chance?" Key asked.

Youngjae nodded. "My dongsaeng, the maknae of our group."

"So you have numbers," summarized Taemin.

"Don't we all these days?" Youngjae replied simply. He straightened up and the trio tensed. He rolled his eyes. "Relax. I'm not going to fight you, not like I want to anyway. I dislike fighting."

"You could be lying," pointed out Taemin.

"I could, but I'm not. I'm just here to officially meet you," said Youngjae casually.

"Officially? So you have been spying on us," realized Jonghyun. "May I ask for how long?"

"Very long," replied Youngjae without care, then rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "In fact...since after Alaina bonded with your maknae here."

Taemin scowled at him when saying his soulmate's name so familiarly.

"You're the one whose been collecting information and telling Zelo how to avoid us then," concluded Key. "So, why so interested in Alaina?"

Youngjae smiled lightly but it was unpleasant to them. "You haven't guessed with all the obvious signs? Given up searching when you haven't looked? You guardians are so dense!" He chuckled, irking them.

"You should really stop speaking in riddles before we take you out," warned Jonghyun.

Youngjae looked unfazed and unworried. "Should I be scared? Why? When you can't even find me?"

The scenery around him shifted and his body was gone, and so was his ES.

"Dammit!" cussed Key irritably.

"Funny how I can see you but you can't even sense me," said Youngjae, his voice resonating somewhere above them. They all glanced up and saw Youngjae sitting perched on a cubicle. "If you haven't guessed, I can merge into my surroundings - almost like invisibility, but it's more like I'm warping the area in front of me to reflect what is behind me, and I can cloak my ES along with it. That's why they call me the 'Cloaker'." He gave them a nerve wracking grin to taunt them. "You should take care of your little princess more attentively. She might not be there one day."

"Don't you DARE take her from me!" shouted Taemin, not liking Youngjae's warning and his astute personality.

"It's inevitable," said Youngjae, untroubled by Taemin's blazing glare. "She is the only one who can free him."

Those last words echoed in the night as he fused his appearance into his surroundings and disappeared.

Key huffed. "Well that was just a waste of time. All we got were riddles and an annoying introduction."

"Not exactly," disagreed Jonghyun. "I'm going to talk to Onew and Suho about Zelo and Youngjae. I want a closer look at their backgrounds."

"And how is that going to help?" Key asked. "Their human lives are irrelevant to our problem."

"I was going to reference them to see if they were close to anyone else that might've disappeared or presumably 'died' and see if they had connections, because they might also be demons," explained Jonghyun.

Key's eyes lightened in understanding. "Ahhh, you want to figure out who's in their group. Good idea. Taemin, what do-"

Taemin was gone.

Jonghyun face-palmed himself, knowing where the boy could only have gone. "He went to go check on Alaina."

"Let's go, too. We have no reason to stay undercover anymore," said Key. They both took the stairs down.

 


...



(Taemin's POV)

"I'd like to know where Akiyama Alaina is being roomed. I heard she got hurt. I'm her boyfriend," he told the nurse breathlessly at the hospital counter.

She blinked in surprised, marveling at his beauty. "S-she's only two halls down. The second door on the left side."

"Kamsamnida," he said, making her blush, and he hurried off following the directions.

He found Zelo in the room, who jumped to his feet at the sight of him. In a flash, Taemin pinned Zelo against the wall with one arm - without waking up Alaina who was impotent in bed, her face covered with an oxygen mask. Although Zelo was slightly taller with more muscle mass, Taemin had power and skill residing in him, labeling him the stronger one.

"What the hell is your problem?" Zelo hissed, but didn't fight back.

"Why didn't you protect her better? Why didn't you kidnap her? Why are you so damn frustrating?" Taemin hissed back, gripping the demon's shirt front tighter.

"I don't know!" snapped Zelo, losing his cool. "I just don't know! Things happen, and when they do, we can't change it!"

Alaina stirred at their voices, exhaling a groan. They froze at the sound.

"Taemin," she breathed, her voice barely audible. Her eyes fluttered then drooped blearily. "Taemin?"

Taemin released Zelo - the demon slouching against the wall - so he could cross to her bedside and take her hand, rubbing some warmth in her cold fingers.

"I'm here, Alaina," Taemin said soothingly, not caring if Zelo would attack him from behind.

Alaina smiled weakly at him from her stupor. "Where's Zelo?" Her soft, musical voice was hoarse. She inhaled thickly.

Taemin inclined his head. "Behind me."

Alaina struggled to sit up and alarmed Taemin.

"Take it easy!" he cautioned her, helping her prop her back against the pillows.

"Zelo?" beseeched Alaina, looking past Taemin. "Do your bruises hurt?"

Taemin was puzzled by Alaina's question and turned around just in time to see Zelo's bruised arms before the demon pulled his sleeves down. Taemin hadn't even noticed until Alaina pointed it out.

"I'm fine," answered Zelo stiffly. "I have to go." He turned to leave but Alaina said:

"Don't go back if they keep mistreating you."

Zelo froze and clenched his hands into fists. He shook his head.

"I have no where else to go," he said and nearly ran out the room.

"Zelo!" called out Alaina and coughed haphazardly at the strained use of her voice. A nurse appeared promptly, along with Key and Jonghyun. The nurse had to sedate Alaina to calm her down. Her breathing eased into a slow, even pace as she slept.

"Her heartrate was increasing too quickly," assessed the nurse, "and she shouldn't be using her voice. She'll be sleeping off the sedation for a while." She turned to the exceptionally beautiful boys before her and her cheeks tinged pink. "Er - um - are you relatives of hers?"

"I'm her boyfriend," replied Taemin, not sparing a glance at the nurse, his worried gaze never leaving Alaina's laxed face.

"We're close friends of hers," chipped in Key, indicating him and his soulmate (unknown to the nurse), suppressing the urge to say umma and appa. "We're friends with her only relative - her cousin is her guardian."

"Please come with me," requested the nurse. "We need to contact her guardian and fill out papers."

Key left with the nurse and Jonghyun stayed behind to watch over his 'kids'. He plopped onto a seat with an exhausted huff. Taemin hadn't move from his spot, sitting on the edge of the bed gingerly, holding onto Alaina's limp hand, his own hand was slightly trembling. Why?

When Youngjae had said it was inevitable that Alaina would be taken away from him, he felt like the world ended.

I won't let it happen. I can't imagine a future without you. Even now, it hurts seeing you like this, as if you won't wake up. Don't leave me, please.
 


...