Tragedies, Depression and Separation

What Dreams May Come

It was the twins 8th birthday and the Choi Family decided to go to a ski resort ‘cause the twins loved skiing and the snow. They went to the Gangwon-do since there are ski resorts nearby. When they reached the ski resort the twins immediately jumped out of the car, squealing their lungs out.

“Oh! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!” Both the twins kissed and hugged their dads.

“Okay okay! Enough enough! We get it! You’re welcome.” Seunghyun said for he’s struggling very hard to keep his feet on the ground.

“Come on! Let’s go inside.” Jiyong motioned for the twins to come inside the ski resort.

“We ARE going to ski after right daddy Ji?” Miyoung said, the tough but sweet one.

“Miyoung! Don’t talk to daddy like that!” Meeyon said, the quiet, sweet and well-mannered of the two.

“It’s okay Meeyon, I’m sure Daddy Jiyong is used to Miyoung by now. We’ll just give her one cup of hot choco instead of two.” Seunghyun said while staring sternly at his daughter.

“yah~!” Miyoung huffed her cheeks then pouted.

Jiyong just watch his daughter and his husband have a glaring contest.

“Sorry…dad…will you give me two hot chocos?” Miyoung said with her puppy eyes.

“I forgive you sweetie, but you’re daddy Seungie said that you can only have one. Maybe next time okay?” Jiyong said with a gentle tone.

“Oh! Alright!” Miyoung stomped her way to the main entrance and Seunghyun and Jiyong just sighed, looked at each other then laughed. Meeyon is happy whenever he sees her parents like this. She knows that she was adopted because their parents explained it to them but they treated them with so much love. There are no dull moment when they’re together. They never felt unwanted.

“Come on! Let’s go inside, it’s getting cold here.” Seunghyun said. He’s very sensitive to the cold. It’s his number one enemy…well, the cold and mornings. Maybe not morning since he always wake up to Jiyong’s warm hug and smile in the morning.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As promised, they took the twins out to ski. Since they’ve done this before, they let the twins roam a bit farther than before but of course with adult supervision. They rode on the ski elevator to reach the top of the hill. Seunghyun with Meeyon and Jiyong with Miyoung cause if Seunghyun is with Miyoung, they might get into a fight on the ski elevator. A very  very dangerous thing.

As they were skiing down the hill, an avalanche happened. The twins are skiing merrily down the hill so didn’t notice the commotion happened above them. Seunghyun heard the rumbling coming behind them so he turned back. To his surprise, there was a big pile of snow coming towards them! He called for Jiyong and the twins.

“JIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIYOUUUUNNNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! MEEYOOONNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO FASTER!!!!!!” Pain, agony, nervousness and fear are stirring inside his chest. Tears are now falling from his eyes.

They went faster and faster but Meeyon fell down and Miyoung came back to help but because it’s slippery and Miyoung is wearing skiing boots so pulling  Hana up is a tough job for her little body. Before they knew it, Jiyong and Seunghyun just saw a huge pile of snow but the twins…are nowhere to be found. Jiyong was frantic. His babies…they were trapped. They need him.

“Seunghyun! We have to do something! SEUNGHYUN!” He shook Seunghyun but the latter was just staring blankly at the snow in front of them. Jiyong ran towards the snow and starting digging.

“Don’t worry sweethearts…Daddy Ji is coming.”

The rescue team arrived and advised them to go inside for now and they’ll inform them if they found any survivors or….dead bodies they could claim. Jiyong kept digging but Seunghyun pulled him up and away from the scene.

“Ji…”

“Seunghyun! We have to help them! They need us! Please…” Jiyong kept sobbing and was now finding it hard to breathe.

“Ji, baby…they’re doing everything they can do…all we can do now is hope…” Seunghyun tried to calm his husband down but he himself was on the verge of breaking down. He knows someone has to be strong for them. He knew HE has to be strong for them.

*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*~**~

They are now in their room; Jiyong was staring blankly at the window while Seunghyun was waiting anxiously by the phone. Both of them, though they don’t know it yet, were crying. Their sobs can be heard all throughout the room.

The phone rang, Jiyong’s stare was now directed to the phone. They hesitated to pick it up at first but Seunghyun did so anyway.

“Y-yeobsaeyo?” His voice is shaky. Afraid and hopeful at the same time.

“Choi Seunghyun-sshi?”

“Ne.”

“We found bodies of two girls about 6 years old and we assumed that they were your daughters. We’re very sorry for your loss.”

Seunghyun dropped the phone. Jiyong already has an idea but he was still hopeful.

“Seunghyun?”

“T-they’re…gone…”

Jiyong stared at him wide-eyed.

“No…” then he rushed out to the morgue and Seunghyun just followed him out, still shocked with what he just heard.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

At the morgue…

It was cold. It was too cold. Anguish, pain and fear…all of it are starting to build up in their chests, making it hard to breathe. They hadn’t expected this to happen. It was all too soon. They planned a nice family day for them and a birthday present for the twins but now…they are walking in the hallway of the morgue…identifying the remains of what could be their daughters.

Then they stopped dead on their tracks when they saw their daughter lying on a cold steel bed…not breathing.

“NO! Please they’re still alive. I know it! P-please…” Jiyong hugged Meeyon’s body. Seunghyun tried to pull him away but Jiyong resisted.

“Ji…baby…don’t do this please…” but Jiyong just kept on hugging his daughters and this scene just breaks Jin’s heart. Sounds of misery were the only thing that was heard in the morgue.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jiyong didn’t go to the wake. He was just in the twins’ room crying while hugging the clothes that once belonged to the princesses of the house, the ones who brought joy and laughter to the Choi household.

For days he went on like this. He even tried to commit suicide…for how many times, Seunghyun doesn’t know.  Jiyong is just staring out of the nowhere, crying to lull himself to sleep and he’s not eating. Seunghyun was afraid of what might happen to his husband’s health and more so his mental state. He wanted him to stay with him and he understands his husband but it breaks his heart just to see him like this so he decided to send Jiyong to a rehabilitation center.

“Baby…I’m sorry.” Seunghyun was kneeling and Jiyong was sitting on a chair near the window.

 “I know. I understand.” Jiyong said with a warm tone while he caressed Seunghyun’s cheek.

Seunghyun kissed his knuckles. He doesn’t want to go but he knows if he stays longer he might check Jiyong out of the rehab or worse admit himself to the rehab just to be with Jiyong. By now, a tear fell from his eyes and Jiyong wiped it away with his thumb.

“I’m sorry too…”

“Why?”

“Because I failed. I promised to make you happy in everyday we spend together but now…I only cause you pain…”

“It’s okay…it’s not your fault.” Seunghyun hugged him tight but his hand never let go of the younger’s hand then he kissed he him in the forehead then whispered ‘goodbye’ his husband’s ear. With that, Seunghyun left.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*

Seunghyun kept himself sane by loading himself with work. He can’t bear living at an empty house. He was so accustomed to having Jiyong and the twins by his side. He visits Jiyong but that happens rarely because his heart can’t take it. He just can’t see his Jiyong in that condition. Jiyong spent his days painting and writing in his diary because his stupid doctor told him to do so. 

One day, Seunghyun visited Jiyong. He was painting at the garden. Seunghyun saw him there, he looked so beautiful, so calm and he can’t help but to fall for him all over again but he still can’t see a smile on his face nor happiness in his eyes. Just like that, Seunghyun’s heart broke. Jiyong saw him holding something that looked like documents. Jiyong knew exactly what those papers are for.

“Baby…”

“I know Seungie…I’m willing to set you free.”

“I’m sorry…”

“Don’t say that please… You don’t need to be sorry…I’m happy because I met you…for once in my life, I was happy. Please don’t say sorry because that would mean you regret everything we had together. I’m willing to set you free rather have you by my side only to see you in tears.”

He took the papers from Seunghyun. His hands are trembling, his sobs are quiet but Seunghyun can hear it clearly. Their memories came back one by one.

“Can I see the picture?”

“uhmm..Why?”

“Because I wanted to see what made you take a photo of me.”

“How are you so sure that I took a picture of you?”

“Well, if that’s the case you wouldn’t mind showing me the camera right?”

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Your pictures are really good. By the way, I’m Kwon Jiyong and you are?”

“Choi Seunghyun, Nice to meet you.”

~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~

“Yeobsaeyo?”

“Uh…hey Jiyong…it’s Seunghyun.”

“Oh! Hi! I was about to call you.”

 “You were?”

“Uh…yeah I was about to ask you out. You know, just to hang out.”

“ahh…”

“So are you in?”

“uh..sure…when?”

“When are you free?”

“This Saturday”

“Okay then, see you on Saturday.”

“Okay bye.”

“Bye.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*~*~

“neh…You’ve been quiet.”

“Huh? Uhm…nothing just thinking about things.”

“Okay.”

“Are you okay? You seem kinda red? Seungie?”

“Ji…”

“Yes?”

“Promise me you won’t get mad or go away after I said this.”

“Why?”

“Just promise.”

“I promise.”

“I like…no…I love you. I know it’s a little bit too fast but I –“

Jiyong cut Seunghyun off by a kiss then he walked away. Seunghyun was too shocked to process anything. When he finally realized what happened, he stood up followed the younger. Just like that, the two of them became lovers.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I, Choi Seunghyun, promise to treasure and love you, Kwon Jiyong, for the rest of my life. Even if the whole world becomes your enemy, I’ll protect you so you just stay there smiling. I will be here for you, whether if you’re at your best or at your worst. We will go through new encounters and experience with our hands intertwined with each other. I promise to never let go of you no matter what.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

. I will be here for you, whether if you’re at your best or at your worst. We will go through new encounters and experience with our hands intertwined with each other. I promise to never let go of you no matter what.’ Those words keep on repeating in his head.

Jiyong was about to write the last of his name on the divorce papers but Seunghyun suddenly took it from him and ripped the paper into pieces.

“I can’t do this.”

“Why?”

“I can’t…I can’t leave you…” Seunghyun was trembling while tears continue to run down his face wetting his shirt.

“Seungie…”

“No…I can’t…I promised to stay with you and I will…I love you… way too much that I can no longer imagine my life without you.”

Jiyong kissed Seunghyun passionately.

“I love you too…”

~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~

It was their 12th year anniversary and Seunghyun was driving to the art gallery to surprise Jiyong. As he nears the tunnel, he saw that there was an accident so he pulled his brakes. He saw a woman trapped in her car that was turned upside down.

“Miss, don’t worry I’m here to help.”

The woman kept crying as Seunghyun tried to pull her out of her seatbelt.

“LOOK OUT!” someone shouted from behind. Seunghyun looked to his side and saw a car heading towards him. He couldn’t move. He couldn’t think but all of a sudden his life flashed before his eyes. When he was 3 playing with his best friend, Dongwook, who is also the person he respects and listened to the most, his first girlfriend, his college life then…Jiyong…by now his is filled with images of Jiyong. How he smiles, how he laughs, how he takes care of him when he’s sick, how he plays with the twins in the backyard, how he looked at their first meeting and their wedding.

CRRRAAAASSSSSSSSHHHH!

~*~*~*~~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: I'm sorry I had to ruin the fluffiness of the first chapter! I had to do it because i want the story to be fast-paced. anyway, just to clarify, the gtop couple adopted the twins when they were only 1 year old. they were already on the 10th year of their marriage when the twins died. when seunghyun's accident happened, it was exactly one year after the skiing accident. jiyong was depressed for a year.

here the picture of the ski resort and the 8 yr. old twins:

 

Ski Resort:

 

The TWINS!!

 

Aren't they pretty??