The Black River, the Tracker and the Journey to Hell…

What Dreams May Come

As Seunghyun opened the door to the outside of the children’s realm, he felt a sudden change in the air. He no longer felt the warmth that he has been accustomed to feel. It was turning dark and the pathway was becoming longer. It was as if it was preventing him to go further but no! He was determined! He wouldn’t run away… not this time.

Saving Jiyong was the only thing that was on his mind at the moment. He doesn’t care for anything else. And so, he walks the dark pathway. His every step echoes throughout the passageway. He’s beginning to feel a chill down his spine but he kept on walking. Suddenly, his surrounding began to change. From the beautiful decorated doors to complete darkness.  He can hear the sound of the harsh waves not far away from where he was.

‘I must be near.’ He thought. He doubted his decision more than once through his journey. He was even tempted to go back to the warmth and be beside his daughters but he chased away his cowardice because he knows Jiyong needs him. Now more than ever.

As the sound of the waves are drawing near, he saw dark and unfathomable water.

‘This must be it, here goes nothing.’

He gathered up every ounce of courage he has to walk near the water. From there, he saw a man on a boat. The man has long white hair and beard. He looks as if he could be around 60-65 years old. The man was wearing a black hood so he couldn’t see his face but he definitely saw the smirk on the man’s lips. It was as if the man was mocking him.

‘Did he know I was coming?’

“Salutations! My dear friend!” The man greeted cheerfully, although Seunghyun can still see the mockery in his eyes.  He felt, should he say, intimidated (even afraid, if he would admit it to himself) by the man’s presence. It’s like his childhood all-over again. He dreaded those times.

“uh… Are you… Are you the tracker?” Seunghyun didn’t hide the fact that he hesitated speaking to the old man, it was useless anyway. He was scared out of his wits and he doesn’t have the mind to think about his manliness. He knew this place was dangerous and he had every right to be scared (at least that’s what he thinks). The man gave out a guffaw to his question as if he asked the most idiotic question in the world.

“I’m the only one you see here now, am I?” The man said, not ashamed of letting out a few giggles. It was then that Seunghyun realized that it was an idiotic question to ask. He let out an annoyed groan.

“Can you take me to hell?” Seunghyun asked seriously.

“The answer to that my friend is yes but if I would take you is another question.” The man smiled mischievously. Seunghyun let out yet another groan.

“Fine! Would you take me to hell?” He gritted his teeth. The man, seeing that Seunghyun was very much annoyed, finally agreed to take him to his destination.

“Get on the boat then. Watch your steps! The water might eat you alive. Elevator to hell going up.” The man laughed.

Seunghyun just shook his head.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So far, his journey has been… smooth. It’s too smooth that it’s becoming suspicious. Although the air is still thick, but there’s nothing but the sound of water splashing against the boat surrounding them. Not that he’s complaining but wouldn’t it seem weird that nothing happened yet? Not even a tiny thing. He’s just there sitting on a boat staring at dark clouds, lightning and endless murky waters.

“If you think things are going to be easy then you’re terribly mistaken.” The man said, taking Seunghyun’s attention away from the nothingness.

“What do you mean?” He asked, feeling a tinge of fear grow in his heart.

“This is only the beginning. We have yet to reach half of our journey. This is a very dangerous place, more than you can imagine.” The man’s tone changed from humorous to dead seriousness.

Then everything was quiet again. Seunghyun’s resolve was beginning to shatter. He once again doubted if this was the right decision. But the image of Jiyong played in his mind and all uncertainties fled his mind. He smiled. It appears Jiyong was the only thing he needs to be brave. He always was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“How much longer until we get there?” Seunghyun asked, breaking the eerie silence.

 He was getting impatient. The longer he stays in the both, the lesser chance he has to save Jiyong. Time wasn’t his ally. The man just chuckled.

“Honestly, I don’t know. Time doesn’t exist here. We get there when we get there.”

Seunghyun let out an annoyed huff. He knows time doesn’t exist here but he can’t help but feel impatient. Jiyong needs him. He knows he stalled for a tad too long. He knows there’s not much time left. The possibility of not being able save Jiyong frightens him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After moments of silence, the Tracker stopped paddling. Seunghyun was about to panic but the man stopped him then sat beside him.

“The water will take us there. Don’t worry. And besides, I’m tired. I think I deserve a rest.”

Seunghyun just nodded.

“What brings you here, young man? What made you so desperate that you left your haven?”

For a moment, Seunghyun just stared at the man curiously. The man’s features softened. The smirk and the dark eyes were no longer present. The man’s intimidating aura was gone too. It’s almost as if he was talking to an old friend.

“It’s my husband.” Seunghyun felt a pang in his chest when he said that.

“What happened?”

“He committed suicide.” Seunghyun let out a huge sigh. He was finding it hard to breathe while talking about Jiyong.

“And you’re attempting to save him by going to hell yourself. Don’t you think that’s a bit reckless?”

“Yes, it is, but I can’t sit there knowing that he’s suffering. I promised him.” ‘ I promise to never let go of you no matter what.’

“Ah… love. Such a wonderfully precarious thing. Any man would go insane for it. I guess you are no exception to that.”

“Yeah… I guess.” Seunghyun smiled bitterly.

“You’re one of a kind, young man.”

“Huh?”

“Most of the people who come here want one thing, to live again. They make deals with the devil just so they can go to Earth again. They say they don’t want to die yet and that they have a lot to experience. But it’s not worth it you know. They’re only given a few months on Earth before they’re sent there again. But what can you expect dealing with the devil. Such foolish men.”

“Really foolish. You know what? I know someone who would say the exact same words you just said. He was a really wise man and a good friend.” He felt a sense of nostalgia hit him.

“Hmm… this friend of yours, tell me more about him.”

“He's the type of guy men want to be around, because he has integrity, you know? He has character. You can't fake that. And he's a guy women want to be around, too. Because there's tenderness in him... respect... and loyalty, and courage. And women respond to that. He was a si—”

Singer. I know”

Seunghyun looked at the man, confused.

“This—“ The man pointed to his hair. “—used to be brown. And this—“ pointing to his skin “—used to glow but now it’s just pale. So sad. I was quite a handsome fellow, you know?”

And there It was. A glint in the man’s eyes that Seunghyun is all too familiar with. He couldn’t be mistaken!

“Dongwook…” Seunghyun whispered.

“Well, hello there! My good friend!” The man smiled and for once Seunghyun can feel the warmth in it.

“Do you know why we choose to look so different, me and the children?”

“Package doesn't count? One's as good as the other?” Seunghyun said, amused.

The man chuckled. “Oh, no. The old baggage, old roles of authority, who's the teacher, who's the father, gets in the way of who we really are to each other.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“We’re near.” The man said. The air became thicker. Seunghyun can now here cries of pain and anguish. The boat rocked violently. Thump! Thump! There were pale, gray hands reaching up to them. If it was to drag to down or asking for help to pull them up, he doesn’t know. Seunghyun can’t move a single muscle in his body. All he can do was stare helplessly at the hands grabbing him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next thing he knew he was underwater. It was cold and dark. It was a wonder that he can breathe. The water was really heavy around him and moving his limbs became an almost impossible task. He paddled his way up for he knew he can’t last any longer down there.

 But then, he saw him. He saw Jiyong down there, asking him to come to him. ‘I’m coming baby!’

Seunghyun paddled frantically to get to Jiyong but the deeper he got, the farther Jiyong is. Suddenly, he felt as if all the air in his lungs left him. It burns but he can’t give up! He has to save Jiyong.

He tried to paddle faster but he can’t feel his arms and legs anymore.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He was not unconscious. He was aware of those souls passing through him. He was aware that the more they touch him, the weaker he becomes. He was also aware that his lungs are burning but he can’t do anything about it. Jiyong was long gone. He went deeper into the water but he can’t follow him.

Then, he felt that he was being pulled up. He was out of the water and into the boat in no time. Air filled his lungs.

“They almost got you, huh?” The man said humorously.

Seunghyun just stared at him. He was still unable to get over his shock.

“In case you’re wondering. That was not Jiyong. All the things you saw down there and the ones that attacked us up here are all illusions.”

Seunghyun stared at him incredulously.

 “It’s all in the mind, Seunghyun.”

Seunghyun regained his speaking ability.

“How was that even possible?”

“You were expecting physical danger? What could it do?  Kill ya, huh? No, in Hell there's real danger, of losing your mind.”

Seunghyun remained quiet. He was starting to lose hope. If this is how illusions are affecting his mind, what more if he’s actually in hell?

“Turn the boat around.” He knew he was going to regret this but he just doesn’t think he’s strong enough.

“What?”

“I said, Turn the boat around! I’m going back!” Seunghyun shouted. He was angry, at himself, at the circumstances… but mostly himself.

“Too late chief! We’re already halfway there!”

“Turn this ing thing around NOW!” Seunghyun’s voice was shaking. He was on the verge of tears. Fear is taking over his whole system.

“This is the guy who doesn't give up? You’re not going back! We'll find him. But when you find him, nothing will make him recognize you. Nothing will break him denial. It's stronger than him love. In fact, reinforced by him love. You can say everything you long to say, including goodbye, even if he can't understand it, and you'll have the satisfaction that you didn't give up. That has to be enough.”

It was like a slap in Seunghyun’s face. Jiyong needs him. He has already gotten this far and he never gave up when he was still alive. Not even once! Getting Jiyong back is the most important thing to do right now. He washed all his fears away.

“You just get me there, I'll decide what's enough.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: ARGH!! I'm so sorry! i know this but tis the best that i can do. i just can't describe the place i was thinking about when i was writing this. *sighs* please don't hate me!

A/N2: 2 more chapters and i'm done with this! XD