Divorce Agreement

Just For Awhile More

 

[Dara's POV]

 

When Jirin's ear twitched a bit before he leaped off his seat, racing to the door, I knew Jiyong was home.

 

Well, if he even considers this place as his home anymore, a part of my brain said snidely and I squashed it angrily. Instead of rushing out to Jiyong, like Jirin did, I chose to stay in the kitchen. Hiding, if you must call it.

 

However, when Jirin shouted to me, b with happiness that his appa was finally home early for once, I knew I had to go out and face Jiyong. And because he was finally home early, I knew something was wrong. I stopped at the door and looked up from my hands to meet Jiyong's stare.

 

He walked forward tentatively and placed Jirin on the ground, their son running off to his room obediently.

 

"Dara, we need to talk."

 

"I know." I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. He was going to leave me, and he wouldn't spare me a backwards glance. Should I let him leave without telling him?

 

Just tell him! Pabo!

 

How can I? No one knows about it, not even my own mother, and you want me to tell the man who is going to LEAVE me???

 

Maybe he won't leave if you tell him! After all, you do need support!

 

No. Since I'm leaving first in the end... I don't want to chain him with me.

 

You're so annoying! Just do what you want! Why do you always do stuff for the best of other people!?

 

Because I'm ME, dammit! 

 

Sad, but true. Whenever I did something, I always went through the pros and cons that affected not only me but the others as well. It wasn't a bad thing, but it got annoying at times.

 

Like now.

 

I steadied myself with a deep breath and smiled at Jiyong like there was nothing wrong with the two of us, "Welcome home."

 

Placing his briefcase on the floor, his hand reached out to pull his tie free, only to tighten it instead. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. He was always such a klutz around ties. When we were closer, I used to help him with his tie every morning before we went for work. But I didn't anymore. He always rushed out before Jirin and I were awake.

 

A vision of another woman tying his tie for him made my heart thud painfully.

 

Turning my back to him, I went back to the kitchen and resumed my dinner warily as Jiyong took the seat next to me. He took the fork and spoon from me and brought my hands to his chest, leaving them to lie there innocently. I could feel his heart beat pick up quickly beneath my hands, as they touched the hard contours of his chest gingerly. My own heartbeat accelerated as well, and I sighed internally, enjoying this short moment of intimacy with him. My brain screamed as it called me 'pabo' over and over again.

 

"Help me," He cleared his thoat gruffly and spoke again, his voice husky. "Help me untie it."

 

With shaking hands, I undid his tie. It might as well be my last time doing this. The heat radiating from his body soothed me and I relaxed, my hands resting against his body slightly. I could hear his slight intake of air before a sigh came.

 

Taking my hands in his, he gazed into my eyes steadily, dark against light. "I want a divorce," he stated calmly. Though I was expecting him to dish out the news sooner or later, it still shocked me, nonetheless. My face remained expressionless as I tried to retrieve my hands to place them in my lap.

 

He gripped them tightly, not letting go.

 

Even though I had managed to keep my face neutral, my voice stlil shook with unshed tears. "Why?"

 

Staring back at me with an expression similar to my own, he replied softly. "You know why."

 

"Just tell me. Face to face. Tell me." I wanted to hear him say it.

 

"I have already drafted the divorce agreement," he continued in the cold, formal tone he used when talking to his clients as he secured their deal, as if she hadn't spoken at all. I didn't like the sound of it. "It shall be sent to you via email the next morning.

 

Keeping silent as I absorbed the information- which wasn't much- I pondered over what had changed so much between us. We were in love, had a child, vowed to be together for the rest of our lives. Yet, here he was, filing for a divorce. If he thought I would just accept his money and keep silent like a 'lil meek wife, he had another thing coming. I was never submissive. And he knew that crystal clear.

 

Besides... One lone tear made its way to my skirt, the fabric soaking up my sadness. Its not like I have much time left... My time left is limited. So I had to make myself clear.

 

"I don't want your goddamn money, or house, or car. You can bloody take it back."

 

"What is it with the sudden use of vulgarities?" Jiyong pinched the bridge of nose. I pulled my hands back and this time, he didn't stop me. My hands felt strangely cold when they left him. "Don't make this more difficult for the both of us."

 

"It's her, isn't it?" I bit out the name, hating it as soon as it left my tongue. "Sohee."

 

The woman who took my husband away from me.

 

Did he think I wouldn't notice when he came home late at night to pick up some clothes, only to go out again with Sohee in his car? Probably to a hotel nearby? Or her house? I felt disgusted by the very thought.

 

Did he think I wouldn't notice her perfume clinging onto his jacket when I put in in the wash?

 

Did he think I didn't notice the lipstick stain on his neck when he came home earlier on rare occassions at about ten o'clock? Even though it wasn't very early to begin with anyway...

 

"Don't get her involved in this," he rushed to defend Sohee, like how he used to defend me when I was in trouble. I hated that he seemed to forget me so easily and replaced me with a plastic barbie doll, like the fifteen years we spent together meant nothing at all.

 

"Well, I don't want your stupid house! Or car! Dammit Jiyong, I just want you!" The floodgates opened, my tears flowing freely down my face as I gripped the lapels of his jacket. "Why do you have to do this to me?" I fisted my hands and hit him angrily. Over and over again till I felt tired and worn out. "Why..." My voice trailed off. "Why? What does she have that I don't?" When his eyes roved up and down my body, I felt the urge to scream and claw his eyes out.

 

His mouth opened, and I had this sudden hope, thinking that he would say, 'Nah. just kidding with you baby,' to me with his eyes twinkling brightly, sculptured lips curled into a beautiful smirk.

 

Instead, he said, "I'm sorry."

 

My hands dropped to my sides and hanged there as I turned my head to the side, embarraassed about crying in front of him. Dammit, what did I say about crying?! There should be absolutely NO crying!

 

"Dara, I'm-"

 

"Just go Jiyong, just go." Waving at him, I trudged back to my bed and laid there, thinking about how messed up my love life was. And I thought these things only happened in dramas... I chuckled bitterly. Guess not.

 

There was a lot of other things to consider before agreeing to divorce him. Jirin's exams were coming up in less than two week, and I didn't want him to involved in this drama and lag behind his studies.

 

And then... Time is running out for me too...

 

*** ***

 

[3rd Person's POV]

 

Jiyong sighed as he sat on an armchair, watching Dara sleep fitfully. I'm sorry... I really am... As much as I want to love you again, all I feel is pity. I feel sorry for wasting your time with me, but I no longer love you. I only pity you right now, for being stuck with me.

 

He shuddered as he remembered Dara's skin against his earlier, her hand brushing against his neck innocently as she unravelled the tie. Her feather-light brushes had turned him on more than he wanted to admit, and he mentally punched himself for that. I love Sohee now... I can't mess this up.

 
As Dara's breathing evened out, he fell asleep to the rhythmic humming coming from his wife, his gentle snores reaching his wife's ears.
 
 
Peeking an eye open, Dara scrambled out from her bed as silently as possible. Jiyong was asleep. Sighing, she touched her cheek, hating the stickiness of the tears that dried up there. After washing her face, she sat went into Jirin's bedroom, and sat down on his study table, away from Jiyong. She had brought along four sheet of blank paper, four envelope, and an elegant-looking pen. Her favourite pen. Jiyong gave it to her for her one of her birthdays.
 
 
Again with the Jiyong nonsense! Forget him already!
 
 
I wish I could, but I can't. I... I love him...
 
 
Anyway, I should concentrate on the task ahead of me...
 
 
Sighing, she picked up the pen and began writing. When Jiyong woke up, he was shocked to find Dara gone from the bed. A quick glance at his watch told him that it was nearly time for work. Walking past Jirin's bedroom to get to the bathroom, he saw Dara sitting on their son's desk, writing on a sheet of paper. He shook his head and got ready for work.
 
 
After Jirin had left for school- he went to school by the school bus, Dara kept a respectable distance away from Jiyong and mulled over the decision she was about to make. Should I? Should I not? Should I? Oh for gosh sakes...
 
 
"Jiyong."
 
 
He stopped on his journey to the door and turned around to face his wife who was staring down at her fingers nervously. "Yes?"
 
 
"I agree to the divorce. But I have a few requests."
 
 
His breath exited him in a huge gust of air. She agreed? So easily? He couldn't believe what his ears. "Really?"
 
 
"Yes."
 
 
"Okay. So," he continued nonchalantly though his heart began to beat faster, "what are your requests?"
 
 
"One, we don't tell Jirin about this." Dara stated firmly and Jiyong raised and eyebrow in reply. "I don't want him caught up in this so-called family drama. I wish for him to concentrate on his exams that are comnig up in a few weeks' time."
 
 
"But of course," Jiyong said. "For the same reason, I hope the 'splitting up' would be pushed back to a month later." She received a silent nod.
 
 
"Second, we continue as if nothing happened before the mess started. We sleep in the same room, same bed, go to work together. And you will come back home early." She rattled off, shooting the man in front of her a dark glare. She saw him swallow thickly first before giving her another nod.
 
 
"And lastly," Dara took a deep breath. This would be the awkward part. "Do you remember how you carried me into our bridal room on our wedding day?" A sigh could be heard before being accompanied with a 'yes'. How could he forget...
 
 
"Jiyong! Jiyong! Put me down right this instant!" Dara shrieked before bursting into giggles that sounded just like herself. Her husband smirked down at his blushing wife and pressed a chaste kiss onto her forehead. "Never."
 
 
She blushed prettily and placed her arms around his neck to feel a bit safer, She didn't want to fall down and hit her on her wedding night. That would be just TOO unglam, even for Dara.
 
 
"Now?"
 
 
"No."
 
 
"How about now?"
 
 
"How about never?"
 
 
"Jiyong!"
 
 
"Alright, alright!" He let her go suddenly, and she squeaked in surprise before tumbling onto the soft duvet of their bed. "I love you," she said as she grasped his hand tightly, tears gathering in her eyes. "And I, I love you." He said before kissing her tenderly, puling the straps of her gown down...
 
 
Dara's voice jolted him back to the present. "Yes, yes, I remember."
 
 
"I want you," she paused to take a deep breath, "to carry me out of our bedroom to the front door every morning for every day for the month's duration we are 'together'." 
 
 
As expected, Jiyong face contorted to an expression of shock, then scorn, then amusement. "What is this, a joke?" He laughed out loud. "Seriously? Are you crazy?"
 
 
Dara stared back at him coldly. "Yes."
 
 
Sobering when he realised she wasn't joking, he straightened himself and looked at her. He saw her eye twitch slightly and he knew she was irritated by his laughter when it was no laughing matter. I really should decline... Hmm... But if I do, she might make a big fuss, and I have to leave early to go and pick up Sohee from her apartment.
 
 
"Oh fine, whatever. I have to go now."
 
 
Dara gazed after him as he turned away, his tie in one hand with his shirt's top button undone. No doubt he was going to that Sohee woman to ask him to help him tie it for him. Suddenly annoyed, she turned so he wouldn't see the black scowl on her face. Remembering she had to go for work as well, she went off to prepare, but no before throwing to Jiyong, "Come home early today!"
 
 
When his muffled reply reached her ears, she sighed, wishing none of this had happened.
 
 

 

I feel this chapter was kind of a fail OTL

OMG, thanks for all the comments! :) And thanks for subscribing to this!

Since my attempt at a one-shot failed, I feel kinda stupid.

Do remember to comment again and tell me what you think!

If you find any errors in my writing, Mianhae in advance!

I'll see you in the next chapter! *hands out cookies* Bye! :)

 

xoxo.

 

To love is nothing,

To be loved is something,

To love and be loved,

Is everything.