Broken Promise

Just For Awhile More

 

DISCLAIMER:

I don't know if the story on Facebook is real or fake, but please be noted that the vague plot of this story (guy has a mistress, wife had cancer, the 'requirements' for the divorce) does not belong to me- it isn't me who came up with it). However, I do own the memories and others...

WAIT I DON'T OWN KWON JIYONG, DARA PARK and SOHEE. Jirin is mine though.

YAY! Okay, on with the storeh.

 


 

[3rd Person's POV]

 

Days passed idly and yet to Dara, it seemed like a countdown. Her body was starting to feel heavy, and she struggled to pull herself out of bed, to go around doing the daily chores before collapsing back onto the soft duvet. Her only salvation was when Jiyong carried her in the morning. After him and Jirin left for the day, she would practically crawl back into their bedroom and sleep for a few hours before attempting to do some household chores.

 

Her eyesight was starting to deteriorate, and she could only make out a few lumps coupled with confusing colours. She tried to rely on her sense of hearing, but it was of no help either, since it had started to go downhill with her sight. It was horrible, like her strength as sapped out of her, and she floated in and out of consciousness.

 

She continued to do the video. She had stopped writing already, since she knew she would no longer be able to see, and she wanted to have a nice ending to the letter. It was a long one, filled with many memories. Jiyong's letter was the longest. She had repeated most of what she said in the video, since she couldn't trust technology completely, not knowing if it would change in the future.

 

That was her; forever prepared.

 

She had even planned how she would die. Chaerin told her that it would come unexpectedly, but Dara trusted herself. When the final video was done, she would get ready. It was hard for her to complete it though. She had decided long ago to combine the videos into one, and it was turning out to be quite the hassle for her since she couldn't see what she was doing.

 

Is this how the blind feels like? The blind and the deaf? It must be horrible for them, since they were completely blanketed in silence and darkness, Dara thought sadly to herself. At least I can still hear and see a bit.

 

However, as her days dragged on, even her hold on the precious colours in her life began to fade away. Things started to get blurrer, and all she could hear were dull murmurs far, far away. Sometimes, she preferred to just close her eyes and lay back down. She would then imgaine a world full of colours. A world of Jiyong and her. He still appeared so clearly in her mind that she thought him to be real. Every movement he made was smooth and full of life.

 

He was beautiful.

 

But she could no longer see how he looked like now. All she had were her memories. From time to time, she thought of her family. Her father, her mother, and her sister. Bom would be so sad, not knowing what was happening to her twin. Her parents would be distraught. No one knew anything, Dara trusted Chaerin to keep mum, and her best friend never failed her.

 

Jirin would enter her mind frequently as well. Her baby, the one she gave birth to, and suffered a whole nine months just for him. She wouldn't even be able to watch him grow up, to watch him mature into the handsome young man he was bound to be. She wouldn't have the chance to take pictures of him going for his first prom, his date next to him; not able to fuss over his hair or suit like any mother would.

 

Life was cruel indeed.

 

Everyday, she would glance at the calendar nervously (or try to), trying to make out how many days she had left, thought all she could see were blurry squares an dots. Apprehension filled her as she waited out her days. Even now, she felt as if she was grasping on to this rope very tightly. Once she lets go of that rope, she could see herself falling and falling, into that abyss of darkness, never to return. If she just let go of her mind everything would break into pieces. Thus, before going to sleep each wrapped in Jiyong's arms, she would firmly tell herself that she was not going to die that night, and she was going to wake up the next morning.

 

In her haze-filled gaze, Jiyong would be near her at home. His warmth was comforting and familiar. Jirin's small body would latch onto her as he babbled on about school and his day. For once, she appreciated how loudly he spoke, since she could hear him. At night, when the lights were off, Jiyong would gather her in her arms, sending her into a confused frenzy. Still, she did nothing to discourage him and hugged him tighter, letting herself soak in his masculine scent of pine and mint.

 

She wished she could see him. When he was asleep, she would run her fingers softly over his face, trying to remember how he looked like then. With his eyes closed, as he dozed peacefully.

 

As the days slowly progressed, the couple grew closer again. Each morning would bring something new. He would hold her closer, or they would chat a little, and their little morning sessions would last longer. Dara smiled when she recalled today morning...

 

"Hey, are you done already?" Jiyong's impatient voice floated over to her.

 

"I just have to figure out what dress to wear! They all feel so baggy on me, it's annoying." She grumped as she tugged of yet another dress, feeling for another.

 

Groaning, he stepped closer. ""Let me see."

 

He was so close she could feel the heat emitting from him. It was comforting.

 

"They are kind of big... Have you been losing weight lately?"

 

"Haha, no, of course not!" She coughed, trying to hide her lie.

 

"Well..."He sounded like he was about to ask more but Jirin came barging into their room.

 

"Appa! C'mon already!"

 

"Arasso, wait!" Without a word, Jiyong bent down and scooped her up into his arms, adjusting her so that she fell neatly into the crook of it before stepping forward. She grinned when he held her just a tiny fraction closer and sniffed his shirt, resting her head on his shoulder.  

 

*** ***

 

[Jiyong's POV]

 

I hummed cheerfully to myself. During break, I had had lunch with Sohee. It was strange how she seemed so distant and formal, and if she were trying to keep away from me. I chuckled. She sure was different from the first time we met. She had clung onto me as if I were some rope, and chirped in that high-pitched voice that I sometimes found annoying.

 

However, after some time our relationship got deeper, she became less squeaky. I coughed to hide my laugh. Sohee frowned at me and urged me to go faster. We talked lesser nowadays. It seemed as though she was always trying to push me home, and rarely allowed me into her house anymore. Not that I didn't approve. If anything, I found myself looking forward to going home after picking up Jirin from school. He was chatting on and on about school, or the new girl that he likes, and sometimes about his new CCA- Table tennis.

 

Dara would always greet us warmly and now and then, I would lean down and kiss her lightly on her smooth cheek. In return, her arms would embrace me and I always felt so relieved and relaxed in her arms. Her soothing lavender scent would wrap around me. At night, I held her close because I couldn't imagine not doing so.

 

It felt as if everything was alright between us again. As if we weren't going to have a divorce, as if I wasn't in love with Sohee. Pausing, I blinked. Did I really love Sohee? Or was it just lust? I tried weighing my memories with Dara to those I had with Sohee. Of course, I had more days with Dara, since we had known each other for a long time. We laughed, we cried, we loved.

 

For Sohee... I don't really remember having any world-breaking moments together...

 

Like the time when Dara found out she was pregnant with Jirin. A wistful smile adorned his face when he remembered what happened...

 

"Dara? I'm home," Jiyong called out to the seemingly empty house.

 

"J- Jiyong?"

 

His wife's faint, trembling voice travelled to him through the spcae between them and he felt alarmed at how panicked she sounded. "What's wrong? Are you hurt anywhere? Did anything happen at work?"

 

"N-no, but come here for a moment, I have to tell you something..."

 

"Alright, alright, I'm coming!" Tossing his briefcase onto the floor, he hurried over to the bathroom where Dara was. "Now, what's the matter..."

 

His voice trailed off when he found Dara hunched over the sink, her eyebrows furrowed as her hands tightened on a white stick. "Dara, wha-?"

 

Warm arms flung over him and she hugged him tightly. "What's wrong?" His hand rubbed her back soothingly as his other hand cradled her close to him.

 

"I- I'm..." She stammered nervously as her fists clutched his silk shirt.

 

He hummed as if encouraging her, sending soft tremours through her body. "I'm pregnant," Dara finally blurted out and buried her face into his chest. Jiyong's heart skipped a beat.

 

"What?"

 

"I'm pregnant," she repeated softly, tears heard in her voice.

 

He couldn't believe it. As realization dawned on him, a smile started to form, his lips curling upwards. He was going to have a child. A child, of him and her. One which was going to have her amazing, dazzling eyes, and her thick waves of russet hair. Laughing, he held her up and began to dance around the toilet, stopping only to realize the limited space they had.

 

"This is freaking brillant! Why are you so scared?" He continued to hug her tightly and began to bounce on the spot, unable to contain himself.

 

"Y- You're not m- mad?"

 

"Why would I be mad?" His brows slanted downwards in confusion.

 

"I mean, you said you didn't want a child so early and I was careless when I skipped taking the birth control..." Sniffling, Dara wiped her tears with his shirt and looked away. She was jolted out of her haze when hands engulfed her small, clenched fists.

 

"I'm not angry or anything... To be honest," Jiyong grasped her chin and forced her to look at him. "I've always wanted a child, but I thought you weren't ready." Bending down, he kissed her on her lips sweetly and smiled. "Y- You're kidding," Dara gaped at him as her tears started to dry. "I thought it was the other way round!"

 

"YOU JERK!" Dara groaned as she hit him on the chest angrily. "I thought you didn't want a kid at all! Ugh! You're so evil!"

 

"What?" He scoffed. "Who wouldn't want a child? My child's going to be so spoiled that he'll never be upset."

 

"Who says she's going to be a 'he'?" Dara smirked at him.

 

"Oh no you don't," his eyes narrowed at her.

 

"Oh yes I did! It's going to be a girl, and you can't change that! Neh!" Dara stuck out her tongue at him, dancing out of his reach when he growled playfully.

 

Squealing when his large hands latched onto her hips, dragging her close to him, she placed her hands on his arms to balance herself.

 

"Now how shall we celebrate this discovery?" Jiyong nipped her nose lightly as she giggled. "Let me see..."

 

Scooping Dara up into his arms, he pinched her at her sides gently, bathing in her light laughter. "Jiyong..." Dara gazed up at him, love and happiness shining so brightly in her eyes it made him tears; almost. "I love you."

 

"I love you too," he said softly, cradling her close.

 

"I'll always be here for you, deal?"

 

"I'll always be here for you too. Trust me."

 

"Promise?" Uncertainty could be heard in her voice, and he grinned. I'm never going to let you go...

 

"Promise."

 

No matter what.

 

With that, their pinkies hooked together to form a link.

 

It was a chain. A promise. A link. Never to be broken.

 

Shaking himself out of the past, Jiyong tapped his fingers restlessly on the steering wheel before him. Finally reaching home, Jirin scrambled out of the car home first, pressing onto the doorbell repeatedly. Suddenly, the door flung open and it revealed Dara, looking flushed and happy. Jirin hugged her tightly and Dara had to put him down as he was becoming too heavy to be carried any longer. "Hey," she smiled as she knelt to face Jirin more and a contented smile adorned her pretty features as she listened to him speak.

 

Jiyong frowned as he stood in front of her. She barely seemed to register his existence, and her eyes were flitting to and fro, as if trying to pin point where Jirin was, when he was actually standing right in front of her. His suspicions increased slightly when her hands d about a bit before finally settling on Jirin's shoulder, like a blind person trying to locate someone.

 

What was happening to her?

 

Standing right in front of her, he took the moment to look at her, really look at her. Her face was so pale that she had lost her rosy hue, and her lips were the colour of faded peach. Her eyes were dull, and her cheeks were hollow. Even her lovely, thick hair had lost its radiance.

 

Did he do this to her?

 

Swallowing down the regret and shame he felt, he called out to her. "Dara."

 

It was louder than a whisper, but she should have been able to hear him. Something was wrong. Dara continued to pay attention as Jirin babbled on and on, not at all realizing that he was there. Just there. "Dara," he reapeated again, slightly louder, fear overtaking him for a short moment when she hardly paused to look around.

 

Not understanding what was happening, he kept silent and watch as mother and son interacted.

 

Finally, Dara interrupted Jirin. "Where's Appa, Jirin?"

 

"Huh?" Jirin's eyes widened. The poor boy was clearly confused. "Eomma, Appa is right behind me!" Turning around, he pointed at Jiyong, but Dara's eyes wandered around, not seeing him at all. What the hell is happening? Embarrassment and fear ghosted over her eyes as they swiveled about desperately for a clue of where he stood. Unable to stand it any longer, Jiyong bent down and grasped both of her arms firmly, hauling her up to stand properly.

 

"I'm here," Jiyong said grimly. 

 

Dara gulped when she felt hands grip her arms almost painfully, pulling her to feet. To her horror, she could see the faint silhouette of Jiyong right in front of her. And she was wondering where he was, groping around like a blind bat! if he suspects anything, all my hard work is gone! She groaned softly.

 

"We need to have a talk."

 

*** ***

 

"What's wrong with you?" Jiyong demanded, turning angrily to face her when Jirin was safely in bed, far away from the harsh reality of the world.

 

"N- Nothing! Nothing's w- wrong with me!" Dara stammered, scolding herself when she tripped over her words. If I could see Jiyong right now, he'd probably be breathing fire.

 

"Don't lie to me." His cold voice made her heart sink. "You can't see anything and your hearing isn't excellent either. And you still tell me nothing's wrong?"

 

"I'm really fine," Dara her lips nervously and sank her teeth into them.

 

"You do know, that when you lie, you bite your lips subconsciously, right?" 

 

Horrified, she let go of her bottom lip immediately. Slight amusement could be heard in his hard tone. "I- I..."

 

"Dara, tell me what's wrong," Jiyong whispered as he stepped closer to her, so close that she could feel his warmth though she couldn't hear him.

 

She couldn't hear him.

 

Even though he was so close.

 

Fear had her heart in its evil grasp and a few tears slipped. Wiping them away roughly, Dara inhaled deeply.

 

"You can't see, can you?"

 

This time he was louder, so she could hear him, though somewhat faintly.

 

"N- No! I can see just fine! Jeez!"

 

"Don't lie to me."

 

"I'm serious!"

 

Instead of replying, he wrapped his arms around her and brought her close. So close, Dara could feel tears starting to gather again. "Will you tell me?" He asked again, gently.

 

She shook her head and clung onto him. Sighing, Jiyong placed her on their bed and gazed into her vacant eyes. "I'm sorry, you know?"

 

Her eyes continued to flit around, but it was clear that she heard him this time. He felt his heart wrench painfully. he had never seen her this vulnerable, this weak. In his mind, she was always this strong, happy-go-lucky girl who loved to play.

 


"I didn't mean for this to happen," he continued, and grabbed her hand. "Remember our promise? You said you'd never leave my side, you'd always be here for me, don't you remember? No matter what?" A hint of desperation could be heard and his hold on her hand trembled. Was she sick? Could he have missed something?

 

He felt her nod against his shoulder. Linking their fingers together, he held her cold, frail hand close. "It's a promise... No matter what... Right?" Jiyong whispered softly.

 

"No matter what..." Dara whispered back, though she knew that it was already broken. And she couldn't change it. Tears leaked slowly from her eyes and they dripped onto his shirt, but he couldn't see them because he was hugging her.

 

Even then, her hand seemed to hang on limply to his own, and it felt like their promise.

 

Frail, and almost gone.

 


 

Thanks for subscribing all of you!

I've got the ending all planned out already! :)

 

xoxo.

 

Love is patient, love is kind.

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres