Inevitable Grief

Just For Awhile More

 

DISCLAIMER:

I don't know if the story on Facebook is real or fake, but please be noted that the vague plot of this story (guy has a mistress, wife had cancer, the 'requirements' for the divorce) does not belong to me- it isn't me who came up with it). However, I do own the memories and others...

WAIT I DON'T OWN KWON JIYONG, DARA PARK and SOHEE. Jirin is mine though.

YAY! Okay, on with the storeh.

 


 

 

[3rd Person's POV]

 

Dara woke up alone in her bed. She realised it when her outstretched hand didn't feel the warmth that used to hug her to sleep. Of course, why should I be surprised? She thought bitterly. Although Jiyong had agreed to her last requests, he didn't exactly follow them to the tee. He even had the gall to draw a boundary line on their bed, and if he did this a few years ago, Dara would've pounded him on the head. But things were different now.

 

As she woke up slowly, Jiyong and Jirin's laughter reached her ears. Her two beautiful, precious boys. She smiled wistfully and climbed off the bed, making her way to the full length mirror hanging on the wall. She had become rather skinny over the past few months, her face and lips pale, her bones becoming more and more pronounced. Did Jiyong notice the difference? Probably not. 

 

Her face was thin as well, making her doe-like eyes more pronounced than usual. They didn't shine though, quite the opposite, and dullness had taken over a few months ago. Her office clothes hung limply on her body, instead of how they used to hug her, making her feel safe and covered. Now, she felt like a dwarf trapped in a giant's body. She didn't dare to wear high heels anymore, for fear that she didn't have enough energy to balance herself on 4 inch heels.

 

Looking at the mirror again as she dried her face, she only saw a pale shadow of the woman she used to be. No wonder Jiyong left me for a barbie doll, Dara thought albeit a little sadly, with her blonde curls and curvy body.

 

I suppose only my hair remains the same, Dara smiled wryly as she ran her brush through her curly, silken locks, But then again, even her hair had lost its colour. It suited the state of her appearance.

 

Dull.

 

As her doctor's words echoed in her mind,  she clenched her fists tightly.

 

"What is it? Why are you looking at me like that?"  Dara asked nervously when her doctor, Ms Chaerin Lee sat down sadly at her desk.

 

"I'm sorry." The elegant woman in front of her had eyes filled with regret at that moment... And pity? 

 

"What is it? Tell me!"

 

"I'm really sorry dearie, it seems that you have several tumours in your body," Chaerin said gently as she pointed them out in the scan. 

 

"What?! How is that possible?" Clutching the paper she took from the doctor in her shaking hands, Dara stammered, "I've always been healthy! How can this happen!"

 

"Sometimes, it just does, I'm very sorry about that. In fact, sometimes, you can't feel anything at all until it has a rather crucial stage."

 

As Chaerin spoke, her words clicked together in Dara's brain. "You- you don't mean?"

 

"I'm really sorry." Her doctor, her childhood friend, Chaerin, began to sob, all professionalism gone. "How could this happen to my best friend? Oh my god!" Bawling, she held out her arms and Dara hugged her, in need of comfort as well.

 

"But this really isn't possible! Maybe you made a mistake! Could this be someone else's scan? I always take good care of my body! And- and..." 

 

I still have so much more in life to look forward to! Dara shouted it in her head and cried. Oh God, why did this have to happen to me? Why did you do this to me? Why must you write this in my fate? Why?!

 

She still had so much for to live for!

 

A second child, a sibling for Jirin! Surely he would want someone he could call as his brother or sister! '

 

And visiting the Niagara Falls! And the Grand Canyon! And the pyramids in Egypt! And watching broadway musicals in New York City!

 

How could this happen?

 

She was healthy, bright, cheerful, everything one looked for in an ideal girl.

 

Except that she had tumours growing in her body. 

 

It was all one very sick joke.

 

Dara hugged her friend tightly, as if willing everything to fade and return to normal. "How much time do I have left?" 

 

"Only two months, and that's the maximum time you have. Oh Dara, how can this happen? How?!?!"

 

"If I go for an operation, will I be saved?"

 

"As the tumours have already grown quite large, and also since you have so many, even if you go for an op, the chances of it being a success is rather low... And if it fails, then you will have to stay on your bed till you- you go..." Chaerin already knew Dara's choice before she spoke it. Being such a woman who loved to move and jump around, Dara would never be bound to a bed.

 

"Then I shan't go for the op. Instead of risking something that may fail, I shall just go with the flow... "

 

Silence filled the room as they realized that nothing would change the fact...

 

That Dara would die either way.

 

"Are you going to tell anyone?"

 

"No. I... don't want to be a burden when I die."

 

"How will you be a burden?! We love you so much, you will never be a burden!" Chaerin whacked Dara on her arm as tears continued to stream down her face before shaking the girl vigorously. "How can you think like that!?"

 

"Think of all the pain I'll cause to everyone loves me, Chaerin..." Dara's voice trailed off quietly. "I can't do that to those I love. You understand, don't you? Don't you, Chaerin?" 

 

"Are you saying you want me to keep this to myself till you go?!" Her friend's voice was incredulous when she finally replied. "Are you crazy? Pabo! Baka! Stupid! Ugh! I can't do that! How do you think Bom will feel?"

 

At the mention of her happy-go-lucky twin sister, Dara's heart broke, her voice just as broken. "It's for the best."

 

"Then what about your mother huh? How will she feel! And your father?"

 

It was then Dara cried as well. Her tears soaked into the silk of Chaerin's jacket. "I don't know! don't know! I don't know!"

 

"And what about Jirin? Your son! What about him? He would be just as broken when he finds his Eomma lying dead on her bed one day when he comes home from school! Can you do that to him?"

 

"It's precisely for him that  doing this as well! His exams coming soon!!"

 

"Woman, are you seriously saying that for the sake of his EXAMS, you aren't going to tell him?!? He has many exams in his life, but he only has one mum! Like how Bom will only have one twin sister! Once you are gone, no one can replace you! We have to tell them!"

 

Dara shook her head fiercely, "You can't change my mind Chaerin, because I've already decided. And you know I'll never change my mind once I've decided."

 

"What about Jiyong? What about your husband?!"

 

Dara's shoulders ceased shaking. "He's probably too wrapped up with his other woman to care about me." Chaerin understood what she meant, as Dara had already told her of her suspicion of Jiyong having another affair. "Maybe I was never enough for Jiyong," she choked, "and he's found someone better to be with him for the rest of his life. If he's happy, I will be too." Dara wiped her tears away.

 

"When I die, promise me that you'll look after Jirin as your own. He wants to be a doctor just like you, you know." Dara attempted to sound lighthearted, but they both knew of the inevitable fate about to come.

 

"Stop joking around, or I'll start crying again." Her friend sniffed. "Some kind of doctor I am. With my best friend about to leave me in no more than two months." 

 

They remained wrapped in each other's arms for awhile longer, needing the comfort.

 

"We've always kept and shared secrets Chae, but this shalll be the most serious one yet. Promise me you won't tell?"

 

When Chaerin didn't reply, Dara tried to sound lighter. "Treat it like my last wish to you? Our last shared secret?"

 

"Oh shut up, you." Chaerin sniffles again. "I hate you so much."

 

"I love you too, Chae..."

 

Her heart had been broken on that day, her best friend's as well. It had been broken again when Jiyong admitted his love for another woman. Deep down, Dara knew a teeny part of the path she chose was because of Jiyong. She didn't think she could survive seeing Jiyong happy with someone else. 

 

His heart that was supposed to only be meant for her, was no longer hers. 

 

Since she was going to die anyway, they would still part in the end. And she wanted to remain strong and cheery in his mind, not a sick, weak and frail body of the woman he left for another.

 

It was selfish of her to choose this path, but for Jiyong, for him, she would do it.

 

For love.

 

 


 

Do give me your thoughts about this chapter! If you don't, I'll be watching like a stalka. 

NAH JUZ JOKING.

That aside, who here watches/reads/knows Inuyasha?

ITS AN AWESOME ANIME/MANGA AND YOU MUST WATCH/READ IT.

I love inuyasha so much

(especially his dog ears. I've got a for them :D)

 

xoxo.

 

Love is like an earthquake -

Unpredictable, a little scary,

But when the hard part is over,

You realize how lucky you truly are.