Broken Memories

Just For Awhile More

 

DISCLAIMER:

I don't know if the story on Facebook is real or fake, but please be noted that the vague plot of this story (guy has a mistress, wife had cancer, the 'requirements' for the divorce) does not belong to me- it isn't me who came up with it). However, I do own the memories and others...

WAIT I DON'T OWN KWON JIYONG, DARA PARK and SOHEE. Jirin is mine though.

YAY! Okay, on with the storeh.

 


 

[3rd Person's POV]

 

The ominous sound of the door creaking open seemed to reverbrate in Jiyong's mind for a long time. It revealed a room so quiet, it was as if all life in there had stilled, the half-open windows casting an eerie glow into the dark room as it fluttered it the breeze. He stood there until the door finally stopped swinging and the lilies in his hand seemed to wilt slightly as he surveyed the room before his gaze landed on the bed.

 

There, lying peacefully, swathed in pillows and blankets on the majestic bed, was Dara. She was curled comfortably on her side and her hair seemed to spread out above her as if it was a halo, with her hands laid on top of the sheets.

 

Was she sleeping?

 

Taking a step into the bedroom, the sound of his shoe hitting the floor seemed to echo in the vast room. It felt as if the room itself had taken in a deep breath and held it.

 

As if it was waiting for something to happen.

 

"Dara?" Her name floated from his lips and he swallowed nervously. The woman in question didn't move, didn't stir.

 

She was completely still.

 

Fear seemed to kickstart in him and Jiyong pushed it down. It was ridiculous. This was his home. His bedroom. Where he stayed in for many years. It wasn't a murder scene.

 

So why did it feel like it?

 

She was just sleeping... right?

 

Suddenly finding himself standing next to the bed, close enough to touch, Jiyong whispered again, finding himself unilling to break the eerie silence of the room. "Dara?"

 

No one answered.

 

The birds outside chirped and sang, the leaves swaying aong.

 

Reaching out to shake her shoulder, Jiyong almost recoiled. She was so cold. Again, she didn't wake. His hot palm seemed to sear into her cold skin.

 

"Dara!" His voice was louder this time. Sharper.

 

Sitting down on the bed gingerly, he shook her on her shoulder. "Wake up." Dara's hand moved limpy along, her whole arm in fact, as her shoulder moved.

 

Then he realised something.

 

She wasn't moving at all.

 

Not even breathing.

 

The bouquet of lilies he was holding in his hand dropped to the ground and laid there, forgotten.

 

Why didn't he find it strange when he stepped into the room, not hearing her gentle snores? She always had this adorable way of sleeping, breathing in though her nose, then exhaling in a puff though . If she was sleeping deeply, she would look for something to cling on, and wouldn't wake up even if the house broke out into a fire.

 

On more than one occasions, he would be what she clutched on.

 

Dara's entire body was still. There was no heaving of her chest to show that she was taking in air.

 

A lump formed in Jiyong's throat as he moved her to lay on her back. Dara's head rolled slightly as she turned. There was no stiffening of her body when being moved. He could see her face now.

 

It was pale and white. Cold. Like the rest of her. Her eyes were closed, and upturned slightly. When he leaned in closer to her, and heard the crinkling of paper, he looked down. Dara had been holding onto a piece of paper. Curious, he pulled on it, and her fingers gave way easily.

 

Dear Jiyong,

 

I assume you've come home already. I'm sorry. And I love you. Look in my bedside cupboard... I have some things for you, and my family. I love you.

 

Forever yours,

Dara.

 

PS. Call Chaerin.

 

He stared at the note for awhile, wondering what was going on. Then his eyes traveled down to see a couple of sentences that were scribbled quickly.

 

Jiyong, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about everything. But my time is up. I have to go. I knew this would happen. Remember that I love you. I never thought that I'd ever hear you say that you love me too again, but you did, today. And I was so happy. I wanted to hold on forever. To never let go. But I was foolish from the start, and now it's too late. I'm so happy that I got to hear you say those words again, and I can now leave with a lighter, and happier heart knowing that you love me again. I love you.

 

Love, Dara.

 

Firstly, Dara wasn't moving.

 

Secondly, he found a note. And it sounded pretty much like her saying goodbye.

 

Thirdly, she asked him to call Chaerin.

 

What the heck?

 

What was giong on? They had such a great morning. It was supposed to be a fresh start for them both. He said he loved her, Wasn't everything supposed to be alright now?

 

His eyes flitted from the paper to Dara again. She looked peaceful, with that slight smile still on her lips, and her face looked tear-stained, as if she had cried.

 

His hand settle over her chest gently and he tried looking for her heartbeat.

 

No, his heart screamed even as his brain said yes.

 

Jiyong found none.

 

Mind in a haze, he took out his handphone and called Chaerin.

 

"Good afternoon, this is Lee's Woman and Children Hospital, Specialist in Cancer. How may I help you?" Chaerin's cool and brisk business-like tone brought him out a trance for a minute or so before he slipped right back in.

 

"Ch- Chaerin," he stumbled.

 

"Jiyong?" The woman asked in surprise. "What's the call for?"

 

"Well, I got home with a surprise for Dara, and," he gulped softly before turning his gaze to the floo. "And she seems to be in a coma."

 

A slight gasp could be heard from the other side.

 

"She had a note... And it told me to call you..." Jiyong trailed off uncertainly.

 

"I'm coming over," she snapped out before crashing the phone back onto the handset, grabbing her bag and keys.

 

"I have to run, Minzy!" Chaerin called out to her nurse as she walked quickly to the exit. "I have an emergency."

 

"Alright! Just to tell you, You don't have any more appointments will tomorrow."

 

"You're a doll! Bye!"

 

With that, she ran to her car and slammed into it, gunning the engine.

 

Oh god, please not let it be what I think is happening...

 

*** ***

 

When Chaerin hurtled into the bedroom, Jiyong was shocked. She looked a mess, as if she went though a hurricane and back- except she survived it. Her hair was messed up, and make-up smudged as if she'd been crying.

 

His suspicions were only confirmed when she spoke in a hoarse and crackly voice. "Move away. I have to see her."

 

No. This wasn't happening.

 

Standingly dumbly, he moved to the side, watching the young woman fuss over her friend.

 

"Dara?" Chaerin slapped the side of her friend's face. Her best friend.

 

"Dara, don't you dare, do this to me." Shaking her friend slightly, nothing happened.

 

She felt scared.

 

Was this really it?

 

Chaerin's fingers were trembling as she lifted them to Dara's throat, trying to find her pulse point. There was beat of her heart. No pump of her blood.

 

She was gone.

 

Collapsing into a numbing phase, Chaerin crashed onto the floor as Jiyong made his way over. "Chaerin, what's wrong?"

 

Needless to say, he was shocked when her hand shot up and slapped him clean across his cheek. "The ?" He stared down incredulously. "It's a your fault!" She screechd at him. "ALL YOURS! She wouldn't have died this way... SHE WOULD'VE DIED WITH EVERYONE ON HER SIDE, WATCHING AS SHE TOOK HER LAST BREATH, STANDING BESIDE HER WHEN SHE LEFT."

 

What?

 

"She would've gone for the op! She could've lived!" Tears streamed down Chaerin's face as she sobbed, slapping the man in front of her over and over again, screaming at him.

 

"I hate you! YOU DON'T DESERVE HER. YOU ARSEHOLE!"

 

"What's going on? AT LEAST TELL ME!"

 

"SHE'S DEAD YOU BASTARD, SHE'S DEAD. SHE'S NOT BREATHING. WHAT ELSE DO YOU THINK!? YOU STUPID IDIOT!"

 

"She isn't dead!" Jiyong replied weakly. "She's over here. Right there! We patched things up!"

 

"WELL SHE IS NOW YOU ARSE! You betrayed her! You left her for another woman!"

 

"Wha-?"

 

"And she didn't want to tell anyone! SHE WANTED HER PAIN AND AGONY OF WATCHING HER LOVER LOVE SOMEONE ELSE BE TAKEN AWAY."

 

He stood still.

 

"You. Get out," the words were a harsh whisper. "Leave. You don't deserve to be here like this."

 

Grabbing him by the arms she pushed him out, and slapped him again.

 

Only when the door slamming shut did he wake up. Did the little just shut the door on me?!?!? He wondered blankly.

 

Was she gone?

 

Was she dead?

 

She couldn't not after everything they'd been through. Not when they finally made up. Not when he had told her he loved her. Not when she told him again that she loved him.

 

Didn't she promise to never leave?

 

Dara.

 

Dara.

 

Dara.

 

She was gone. He didn't know why. She had been fine. Wasn't it only today morning when they kissed again? Almost desperately, he tried to recall how it felt when they had kissed. Her warmth. Her laughter. Her blush. Her smile.

 

No.

 

He could only remember the cold, pale face of his wife lying on their bed.

 

No.

 

There was a flash of Dara many years ago, when they were still in university, on a field trip. She was grinning happily and her hair had blown around her, the wind tugging at it playfully. The field of sunflowers they went to had glowed in her beauty, and it had a fragrance just like her.

 

"Jiyong! Look at all these sunflowers!" She shouted happily over the noise of the other students as she spun around, giggling as he catched her.

 

"It's nothing special," Jiyong rolled his eyes. "Trust you to get all happy over this."

 

"Huh!" Huffing, Dara turned away, bending down to pluck a sunflower. "It's just amazing. How they all grow together. With bright yellow everywhere, and the sun shining on them!"

 

"Right..." Jiyong replied boredly.

 

"Isn't this flower perfect?"

 

He jolted back in surprise when something soft, albeit a bit wet, brushed against his nose. Dara had pushed the sunflower into his face, determined to make him appreciate it as much as she did.

 

When she brought the sunflower back, she the dainty petals gently.

 

"Isn't it amazing how nature created colours?" Her voice was but a musical, dreamy note as she trailed off. "When we use ink and horrible technology to get colours, nature does it brighter and more beautifully than any of us could. The yellow is amazing, and brighter than any other yellow..."

 

"Isn't it pretty?" She smiled up at him, with a hint of a glare underneath it, daring him to disagree- the typical housewife mad with her husband look.

 

He gulped nervously. "Y- Yea!"

 

She raised an eyebrow.

 

"But," thinking quickly, he grabbed the stem. "It would look even prettier on a beautiful girl."

 

With that, he tucked the stem into her hair and used the strands to cover the stalk artfully. The sunflower beamed in the sun, and Dara blushed under his gaze.

 

"You joker, you!"

 

Happy.

 

Alive.

 

A tear slid down his face when the memory disappeared abruptly.

 

She was gone.

 

*** ***

 

Chaerin stared at her best friend lying on the bed, not knowing the drama that had just unfolded in front of her dead body. It was chaos, and anger, and more.

 

Much more.

 

It had the bitterness of Jiyong's adultery, and Chaerin's painful loss of her closest friend. Tears continued to flow.

 

So soon? They had to take her sister away so soon? Why couldn't God have waited longer before pulling her angel away?

 

Chaerin sobbed as she dragged Dara's body to her, hugging it tightly. She didn't like this Dara. This Dara hung limply in her embrace and felt cold. This Dara didn't hug her back and smile warmly like she used to in the past when Chaerin needed comforting.

 

Why did you have to go?

 

Why now?

 

"No. I... don't want to be a burden when I die."

 

"How will you be a burden?! We love you so much, you will never be a burden!" Chaerin whacked Dara on her arm as tears continued to stream down her face before shaking the girl vigorously. "How can you think like that!?"

 

"Think of all the pain I'll cause to everyone loves me, Chaerin..." Dara's voice trailed off quietly. "I can't do that to those I love. You understand, don't you? Don't you, Chaerin?"

 

Still, Chaerin could almost feel her friend wrapping her arms around her like old times. It felt as if Dara was nearby, watching Chaerin embrace her dead body. Would she laugh at the absurdity of it all?

 

"Why did you have to leave me," Chaerin cried as she rocked Dara back and forth.

 

"It's not that Chaerin, I'm not trying to tear him away from the other woman. I just... want to make sure I have a place in his heart even when I'm gone..." Dara whispered sadly. Chaerin's eyes glimmered with unshed tears and they sat in silence, thinking about the future.

 

"Don't say that, Dara," Chaerin rasped unsteadily, "don't say that, please. You'll always be here."

 

"Did you know how hard it was for me to bear the burden? Of protecting your secret?  After a horrible month, you're gone... You're finally gone..."

 

"One cannot fabricate lies, Chaerin, you know that." The reply was soft-spoken and it sent a tremour to Chaerin's heart.

 

"Why didn't you call me!? You had the audacity to write a stupid note and hold it! You could've called me," tears dripped onto Dara's face, and her eyes remained close.

 

"No! You just want to be stubborn a-and stupid!" Chaerin screamed as tears began to fall. "You don't know how special you are to everyone! You don't know how we'll feel! Especially me!"

 

"Dara..." Chaerin whispered sadly. "I love you."

 

I understand now...

 

"I'll take care of everything."

 

"When I die, promise me that you'll look after Jirin as your own. He wants to be a doctor just like you, you know."

 

"We've always kept secrets Chae, but this shalll be the most serious one yet. Promise me you won't tell?"

 

"Treat it like my last wish to you? Our last shared secret?"

 

WIth a heavy heart, she crawled off the bed. She had a lot of things to do, people to inform, events to hold.

 

"I just... I just want to take whatever days God gives me, and I''m not going to ask for more. If it is what God is willing to give me, it is what I shall take."

 

*** ***

 

Jiyong stood up when Chaerin walked out of the bedroom.

 

"I- I don't get it. What.." he swallowed thickly. "Is she?"

 

She glanced at him, remembering Dara's words.

 

"What about Jiyong? What about your husband?!"

 

"He's probably too wrapped up with his other woman to care about me."

 

"She's gone. To a happier place," was Chaerin's curt reply. "Your answers should be in what she left for you."

 

For you. Though it was me who stood by her all this time. You don't deserve anything.

 

Eyes narrowed in hurt and pain, she walked past Jiyong. He stumbled into the room. She was gone. How was this possible?

 

How could she just die?

 

"No," he said angrily, upset with himself. "No!" He tumbled down to his knees next to the bed where she lay and grabbed her hand. "Dara! Please! Wake up!"

 

"I love you! Remember? I told you that!" He rambled desperately. "We were going to have a new start. We would love each other, and have fun, and hug, and kiss, and..." He trailed off when he realized Dara wouldn't be able to hush him like she normally would when he had verbal diarrhea. "Dara, please." A tear formed and trickled down slowly. He raised Dara's hand and caught the tear with her finger.

 

Then it slipped off and Jiyong gulped down the lump in his throat.

 

It said so in the note. She knew this would happen. But, how? You, his mind whispered. It's all your fault.

 

They had fights. They screamed.

 

"DAMN RIGHT YOU'RE NOT TOUCHING ANOTHER MAN. YOU'RE MY WIFE!"

 

"NEWSFLASH, YOU'RE MY HUSBAND AND YOU ED ANOTHER WOMAN."

 

" THIS!"

 

But they loved. She wouldn't just leave him alone- alone in this world.

 

"Well, I don't want your stupid house! Or car! Dammit Jiyong, I just want you! Why do you have to do this to me?"

 

She said she wanted him.

 

"Jiyong! Jiyong! Put me down right this instant!" Dara shrieked before bursting into giggles that sounded just like herself. Her husband smirked down at his blushing wife and pressed a chaste kiss onto her forehead. "Never."

 

"I'll always love you, Jiyong. You, and only you, alright?"

 

He should have told her that he loved her too.

 

He was going to propose to the only woman he wanted to spend his life with. Dara Park.

 

Hiding the ring in a glass of wine when she turned around to watch the stars, he was sure that she would find it.

 

"The stars are pretty tonight Jiyong," Dara smiled at him, and his heart skipped a beat at her tender expression. "Thank you for bringing me out..."

 

"Yea," he shrugged, smiling.

 

To Jiyong's horror, Dara reached for the glass and downed the wine in one gulp. The ring was nowhere to be found! When Dara caught sight of his face pulled to an expression of shock, she had burst into giggles, saying, "Jiyong, you look so funny right now!"

 

"What's so funny! You just gulped down the ring that I bou-"

 

"It's here silly!" Sticking out her tongue at him playfully, revealing the ring dangling from it and Jiyong sighed in relief. "Thank god."

 

"I'll marry you!" Still giggling, she lunged for him, tackling him to the ground. "You will?"

 

"Of course I will! I love you! And I don't wanna spend my life with anyone else but you!"

 

They had shared so much together. And had many more to come. Why did this have to happen?

 

What about all their dreams? Trips overseas? Another honeymoon? Another child?

 

Another few decades of being with each other?

 

"I'm pregnant," she repeated softly, tears heard in her voice.

 

He couldn't believe it. As realization dawned on him, a smile started to form, his lips curling upwards. He was going to have a child. A child, of him and her. One which was going to have her amazing, dazzling eyes, and her thick waves of russet hair. Laughing, he held her up and began to dance around the toilet, stopping only to realize the limited space they had.

 

"This is freaking brillant! Why are you so scared?" He continued to hug her tightly and began to bounce on the spot, unable to contain himself.

 

Today morning, everything seemed fine. How couldn't he have not noticed something was wrong with his Dara? She wasn't as vibrant as before, she was weak, could hardly stand. She was a lot lighter. She seemed almost blind. And deaf.

 

"Dara..." He whispered again, burrowing his nose into her neck, breathing in deeply. Turning her around, they stared into each other's eyes. To her horror, Dara felt her eyes tearing, and she blinked furiously. "Hey, why're you crying?" He chuckled as his thumb wiped them away.

 

She was crying. Because she knew it was too late. Because she knew her time was up. She had to say goodbye. It was then he realized that they never did say goodbye. He had just said that he'd see her later. When he came back.

 

"You're late for work, just go," she breathed and he bent down to hug her tightly. She returned the embrace, holding him as she tried to be realistic. If she told him she was going to die, he would never left her go. He would mourn over her till the time she left. And even more when she was gone. "Okay," he relented when she looked at him tearfully. "We'll talk when we come back, promise?"

 

"Yes," she said, taking in his scent one more time. She didn't dare to say that she promised. It was doubtful that promise would work out. "I love you."

 

No wonder she didn't say that she promised they would talk when he came back.

 

She knew she would already be gone.

 

She had left him after all...

 

Scooping Dara up into his arms, he pinched her at her sides gently, bathing in her light laughter. "Jiyong..." Dara gazed up at him, love and happiness shining so brightly in her eyes it made him tears; almost. "I love you."

 

"I love you too," he said softly, cradling her close.

 

"I'll always be here for you, deal?"

 

"I'll always be here for you too. Trust me."

 

"Promise?"

 

I'm never going to let you go...

 

"Promise."

 

No matter what.

 

With that, their pinkies hooked together to form a link.

 

Their promise was broken. She wasn't here anymore.

 

A tear escaped as he sat on the bed next to his wife.

 

The bouquet of lilies laid on the floor, trampled and forgotten.

 


 

and here is ze update! Sorry if it isn't tear-jerkish enough ;~~~;

my head's filled with math and history and geography, etc

Yep! This story is closing soon.

Tell me what you think everyone! Welcome to new suubscribers,

and as always, I love all of you and your comments!

 

xoxo.

Give sorrow words.

The grief that does not speak,

Whispers the o'erfraught heart and bids it break.

-Shakespeare