Realized Too Late

Just For Awhile More

 

DISCLAIMER:

I don't know if the story on Facebook is real or fake, but please be noted that the vague plot of this story (guy has a mistress, wife had cancer, the 'requirements' for the divorce) does not belong to me- it isn't me who came up with it). However, I do own the memories and others...

WAIT I DON'T OWN KWON JIYONG, DARA PARK and SOHEE. Jirin is mine though.

YAY! Okay, on with the storeh.

 

Well, look at those lilies. Kinda depressing...

 

And I changed this chapter a bit!


 

[3rd Person's POV]

 

"Hey," Jiyong greeted Dara as she stepped out of their bedroom. "Jirin's tying his shoelaces now."

 

Dara nodded slowly and sat down on a chair. If she didn't know her way around the house like the back of her hand, she would have tumbled around like an idiot. Fortunately, she ghosted past the obstacles like it was nothing. Her whole body ached when she moved. A thought occurred to her.

 

"Do you know how to tie your tie?"

 

"Uh? Er," He mumbled back somewhat embarrassed, and she knew he was biting the inside of his cheek nervously. "No."

 

"How about I teach you? Just in case, you know?" In case you know how to when I'm not around anymore... She added silently.

 

"Ah, yes, yes, sure," Stammering, he stood in front of her as she placed a hand to stable herself as she brought herself up. I can't see anything, Dara cursed in her mind. Even though I'm right in front of his tie! Her mind worked sloggishly and her hand crept his tie to reach his collar.

 

Jiyong watched as she expertly twisted and looped the tie, tucking it in neatly before patting it down to smooth out any wrinkles. Heat seemed to seep through her fingers into him, though it was rather faint, and he felt nervous standing in front of her like that. He had woken up today with a bitter taste in his mouth, paired with a feeling that something bad was going to happen. Frowning, he shook it off lightly.

 

"Do you know how to tie it now?" Dara asked dryly, sarcasm apparent in her frail voice.

 

Jiyong blinked before realizing that she had stepped away from him. "Er, no?"

 

"I'll do it again," she announced with the rolling of her eyes. "Watch carefully now."

 

Ths time, he practically glued his eyes to her delicate hands as they did their job once again. As her hands worked, Dara began talking.

 

"Remember to be careful when you drive, okay?"

 

Furrowing his eyebrows at her sudden reminder, he nodded. "And watch out when you cook, or use the stove. God knows how many times you burned yourself there," Dara rolled her eyes and chuckled. "And keep the house clean. Don't forget to mow the lawn."

 

This time, he was quite sure sometime was wrong.

 

"Dara, what on Earth are you talking about all of a sudden?"

 

Her cheeks flushed. "Ah, just in case you forget, right?"

 

"Anyway, know now?"

 

"Yea," Jiyong replied. With a quick glance to his watch, he discovered that he was running late. "I have to go soon, hurry up!"

 

Without waiting for her to reply, Jiyong bent down to scoop her up. Dara squeaked in surprise before looping her arms around his neck quickly. She pressed herself against him, soaking up his warmth, and he held her tighter in response.

 

It was just like their wedding night again. He was holding her just as tightly, and if she tried hard enough, she could almost feel as if he loved her again.

 

"I love you," she murmured into his clothes. "Even if you don't love me..."

 

Not hearing what she had said, Jiyong placed her on her feet before getting his briefcase which stood at the side. "I have to go now, see you later! Jirin, hurry up!"

 

"I'm trying Appa! But the shoelaces are strangling me!"

 

Jiyong tapped his foot impatiently while Jirin took his own sweet time to figure out the knots. When he was finally done, Dara knelt down and held out her arms. "Come here baby."

 

Grinning happily, the young boy jumped into his mother's arms and hugged her. "I love you, Jirin." She whispered into his ear. Jirin giggled at the ticklish feeling of her breathing into his ear.

 

"I love you too Eomma!" He replied happily before bouncing off to get his school bag. "See you after school!"

 

"See you later," Jiyong said as well, before starting to move off as well. Without thinking, her hands reached out wildly and grabbed his tie. "Wha-?"

 

His sentence was cut off however, when Dara's lips pressed against his own, soft and warm. It was only a quick second before she let go off him, and he stumbled back, surprised. When he glanced at her face, he saw that hers was full of horror, and he couldn't help chuckling.

 

"Dara, what wa-?"

 

"Well! Bye!" She chirped loudly before pushing him out of the door and slamming it shut.

 

Oh no you don't, He smirked before opening the door again. "Jirin! Can you take the school bus this time! Appa has to take something!"

 

"Okay!" His son shouting back before racing off.

 

*** ***

 

Well that was stupid, She berated herself before trudging off to the bedroom, her thoughts whirling around, making her dizzy. But it felt nice... She briefly imagined his warmth again and groaned. Bad Dara.

 

Mint and a hint of spices. That was how he tasted like. Mint and spices. She jumped when she felt warm arms wrap around her from the back. Jiyong. He tugged her so that her back was against his front and she melted into his hold. "Dara," Jiyong whispered next to her ear, his warm breath ghosting over it. She could smell him around her, and she wrapped her arms over his. What was happening? She didn't know. But that didn't mean she wouldn't cherish it.

 

"Dara..." He whispered again, burrowing his nose into her neck, breathing in deeply. Turning her around, they stared into each other's eyes. To her horror, Dara felt her eyes tearing, and she blinked furiously. "Hey, why're you crying?" He chuckled as his thumb wiped them away.

 

Do you love me? Dara willed him to answer her question. Staring into his eyes, she believed he did. He was looking at her the way he did many years ago. They were filled with love, and warmth, and she never wanted to leave.

 

But it was too late.

 

Her time was up. "Jiyong," she breathed sadly. "Do-do you love me?" Wait, what did she just say? "I mean, I-I," she gulped in embarrassment and waited for his reply. For some reason, Jiyong felt like he was going to cry as well. He closed his eyes and thought of the times they spent together, the comfort he felt at night when he held her close, the joy of just being with her. How jealous he felt at the thought of her with another guy...

 

"Yes. Yes, I do." He whispered back. Very quietly. But her ears managed to catch them and she gasped. He did? "You do?"

 

Was she dreaming? "Again, say it," she choked out. "I love you," he said softly, leaning in, their lips so close that the brushed together. "I'm sorry I took so long to realize, but I do. I love you."

 

Horrified, she realized that it was too late. This was too late. She didn't go for the operation. She was going to die. That brought her back to her senses and she trembled, pushing out of his embrace frantically. "Dara, wh-what?"

 

"No," she repeated over and over again, "It's too late!" Tears streamed down as she fell to the floor, Jiyong following her down as he knelt next to her. "What? Why?"

 

"You won't understand," she said as he stared back at her, confused. He had said that he loved her, didn't he? Why was she crying? "Just go, Jiyong, just go!" He stumbled back to his feet and gaped at his wife lying on the floor, trembling as she rocked herself back and forth. What was going on?

 

"You're late for work, just go," she breathed and he bent down to hug her tightly. She returned the embrace, holding him as she tried to be realistic. If she told him she was going to die, he would never left her go. He would mourn over her till the time she left. And even more when she was gone. "Okay," he relented when she looked at him tearfully. "We'll talk when we come back, promise?"

 

"Yes," she said, taking in his scent one more time. She didn't dare to say that she promised. It was doubtful that promise would work out. "I love you."

 

"And so do I," Jiyong smiled, "I love you too."

 

"I love you more," she said even as tears continued to flow down her cheeks. "And I love you most," he grinned back boyishly, kissing away her tears. Finally, he pressed his lips to hers, and she kissed him back with everything she had. "I love you," she said, "So much."

 

"I'll see you when I'm back. Love you."

 

With a new spring in his step, he bounded out to his car, turning a few times to wave back. Dara continued to wave. She wasn't sure if he had actually waved to her, since she can't see, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

 

It was too late. She sobbed as she stood up. She could feel her body giving way, and she clambered onto the bed, fumbling for a pen as she took out the paper she had prepared days ago. She couldn't see what she was writing, but she hoped it was legible.

 

At least she now knew he loved her. She could pass on with a lighter heart, knowing he did. The only regret she now had was giving up her chance to continue to be with him. They could have a longer future together, no doubt he would have a long one, but hers had to stop here.

 

It was too late.

 

Tired, she finished writing and collapsed onto the bed.

 

"I wonder...

 

I wish I could see you now."

 

Jiyong...

 

He loves me.

 

With that thought, she closed her eyes before entering a deep, peaceful sleep. Her lips curved into a small grin.

 

She was happy.

 

*** ***

 

Bewildered but happy, Jiyong hummed as he drove down the road.

 

Did she?

 

Did he?

 

Did they?

 

He had actually said he loved her! I love her, Jiyong thought. His heart lifted with each word. And she loved him back! He couldn't wait to be back, holding her in his arms.

 

He remembered how they held each other on the floor, exchanging words. It was comforting. It was gentle. And it had made his heart race.

 

It was beautiful.

 

For that short moment, he could taste sugar and the essence of her. He his lips again. It was faint, but still there. Defintely sugar.

 

Sweet.

 

Truth be told, he enjoyed the short ten seconds he had in the morning carrying her. She was so light it was almost abnormal, but it had felt... nice when she fit perfectly in his arms, leaning her head against his chest as she drew patterns idly on his shirt. Warmth would fill him as he stared at her, a small smile on her face and her lips pursed slightly. It was the second last day of their deal, so tomorrow would be the final day he shared with her.

 

It would be a lie to say that I weren't disappointed... But now that we made up, we can still do it! He grinned happily.

 

Memories he shared with Dara flitted across his mind when he drove, humming softly. When the image of her crying and sobbing filled his eyes, he felt a slight pang of pain. Her eyes then were pleading with him, filled with anguish and pain, but they had been trying to tell him something- something serious. Then, he had shrugged her off and carried on talking about the divorce.

 

He snorted. He had been so foolish. He wished he had never brought up the divorce, wished he had never gotten carried away with Sohee.

 

Dara was perfect. And she was all he ever needed.

 

Shaking his head, he continued to his office, but stopping in front of Sohee's desk.

 

"Jiyong!" Sohee called out to him as she approached, giving him a loose hug. Frowning, he shrugged out of her hold. It wasn't Dara hugging him. It didn't feel right. He had been so stupid for so long.

 

He yearned for Dara.

 

 

He missed her so much.

 

He missed the sound of her laugh.

 

He missed her smile, her soft, pouty lips curving up into a smile.

 

He missed the way her eyes twinkled happily when she said that she loves him.

 

She loves him.

 

And he loved her.

 

The thought came to him easily. Yes, he loved her. When he came to, he found Sohee still standing in front of him, her slanting, cat-like eyes peering hard at him.

 

"I'm sorry, Sohee. But I can't," Jiyong said firmly, "I can't go through with the divorce, Sohee."

 

Was it just him, or did relief flit through her eyes for a second there?

 

"Why?" She demanded, her voice sharp and filled with hurt. "Why! Jiyong, why!?"

 

Sohee took a large step forward, pressing a manicured nail on his shirt. Jiyong winced as her sharp nail digged into his skin. Their co-workers were beginning to pick up on their little spectacle here, and attention was really the last thing he looked forward to.

 

"I just can't alright?"

 

"Why? Don't you love me?! Don't you?! You'd go through the divorce with her for me! Then we can be together!"

 

When he didn't reply she continued. "Isn't that what you wanted too?"

 

No. 

 

Jiyong gritted his teeth and looked away. Women. "I'm sorry. But I love Dara. I was foolish to think otherwise."

 

"You don't just say sorry and walk away! You said you loved me! So what's changed your mind now? Is it that of your wife or what? Huh!?"

 

He felt something snap within him when he heard Sohee call Dara that.

 

"Don't call her that," he hissed sharply. He clenched his fists angrily.

 

"You know what? Fine! Go off and back to your little wife! Just don't come back crying and crawling later on!" Huffing angrily, she turned around so fast that Jiyong feared she had whiplash before striding away, her high heels clicking against the hard ground angrily.

 

Unbeknownst to Jiyong, a small smile had crept onto Sohee's face as she silently cheered him on. 

 

I'm glad for you...

 

And I hope you're not too late.

 

*** ***

 

I love her.

 

Jiyong couldn't help but smile goofily as he drove like a maniac to the nearest flower shop. He had work, and Dara asked him to go for it, but who cares? He'd rather spend time with her anyway.

 

I love Dara.

 

I always have.

 

Quickly bounding into the store, he purchased a bouquet of white lilies. They were her favourite, and he had a quick run through of the day he found out.

 

"Hey," Jiyong nudged his half-awake girlfriend. "What's you favourite flower?"

 

"Waking me up just for that, you're mean." Dara pouted, pretending to be upset before rubbing her eyes, sitting upright in Jiyong's arms.

 

"Well... I guess, for me, I'd like lilies."

 

"Lilies? Not roses?"

 

Chuckling, she hit his arm lightly. "Disappointed I'm not your average girl?"

 

"Nah, just curious. Why lilies, and why not roses?"

 

"White lilies. I like white lilies." Dara repeated thoughtfully. "They just look so.. vibrant and pure, and fresh! A bit quiet too... Roses are a bit of the norm if you ask me. Kinda boring."

 

"Then why not white roses?" He asked. 

 

"I don't know, honestly!" She threw back her head, giving her small, tinkling laugh before directing her gaze to Jiyong. "Why all the questions?"

 

"Just thinking..." A pause before he continued. "I guess, white lilies are like you?"

 

"What makes you say that?" Curious now, she rolled onto her stomach and blinked at him.

 

"Their just so, bright and full of life with a tinge of sunshine in the middle. The yellow, I mean," He added when she raised an eyebrow. "Just like you. All cheery and sweet."

 

"Uhuh," she replied, already half-asleep. "Well, if you're done with your review of flowers and twenty questions, can we go back to sleep?"

 

Shaking his head, he grinned and pulled her down back onto the bed, hugging her tightly.

 

It was a long time ago, a year after they dated, and he smiled softly at the memory. Snatching the bouquet from the florist's grasp before tipping her, he drove back home on high spirits. Dara was at home, Jiyong was sure of it.

 

He would give her the bouqet first, then keep telling her how much he loved her, and then they would spend the day together happily in each other's arms, just like the old times, Jiyong decided, the fresh flowers lying on his lap.

 

And life would be bright once more.

 

I love Dara.

 

When he had finally parked his car after what seemed like a long drive, he bounded out of the car with the white lilies in one hand, and the keys in the other, nothing else. A click sounded as the door unlocked.

 

The house seemed eerily silent. Quiet. Undisturbed.

 

Thinking Dara was asleep in their bedroom, Jiyong hurried over, only to find a closed door. The bouquet of flowers swayed as he moved, somewhat subdued, leaving a sweet-smelling breeze behind,

 

I love her.

 

I love Dara.

 

Taking in a deep breath, he smiled before swinging the door open...

 


 

AND CUT!

 

Tell me whatcha think is going to happen peeps!

 

This is running to a close soon! yea! so please! give me your honest feedback!

Welcome to new subcribers and do comment!

I know this chpater ain't very good. Mian!

This is obviously rushed out! Sorry for any horrible mistakes.

 

xoxo,

I thank my God every time I remember you.