Your Last Words With Me, Forever

Just For Awhile More

 

DISCLAIMER:

I don't know if the story on Facebook is real or fake, but please be noted that the vague plot of this story (guy has a mistress, wife had cancer, the 'requirements' for the divorce) does not belong to me- it isn't me who came up with it). However, I do own the memories and others...

WAIT I DON'T OWN KWON JIYONG, DARA PARK and SOHEE. Jirin is mine though.

YAY! Okay, on with the storeh

 


 

[3rd Person's POV]

 

He hadn't moved at all, Jiyong realized idly as he sat on the bed- their bed. He brought the letter up to his nose and took in a small sniff. Her scent still lingered on the scrap of paper, but even as he held it, he could sense it slowly withering away. It was the only thing left of Dara that she dedicated to him. As he tossed the paper around in his fingers, he wondered what he should do.

 

Dara wasn't with him anymore. No more 'I miss you's, and definitely no more 'I love you's he'd hear from his love.

 

Even her body had been removed from their bed, and he was now alone.

 

Should he start on his work now?

 

Should he start making the dinner?

 

Wash the clothes?

 

Or should he just die as well?

 

Jiyong jolted when the thought came to him. Now why didn't I think of that? 

 

It was a brilliant idea, really. If he died, surely he could find Dara somewhere, out in the vast sky of stars? He could almost see her warm gentle smile, a dainty hand extended out to him, coaxing him teasingly. Perhaps if he died, and opened his eyes, Dara would be standing above him, saying, "Now, why did you take so long?"

 

And when that happened, he'd stand and gather her into his arms, smelling her lilac scented hair. He would tell her then, that he loved her.

 

Yes, dying sounded good. Jiyong felt as if he should be remembering someone who needed him, but he couldn't think of anyone right then. Dara was the most important to him.

 

And still is.

 

So how should he die, really?

 

Should I jump down from our bedroom balcony right now?

 

Too gory. It wouldn't be a pretty sight if he appeared in front of Dara bashed up and bloody. She'd probably scream and kill him on sight, Jiyong chuckled softly at the thought.

 

Sleeping pills? Now that wasn't such a bad idea. He vaguely remembered one of the many times he had watched a certain television drama with Dara. The grieved character had swallowed a whole bottle of sleeping pills, downing it with a glass of wine. They definitely had sleeping pills somewhere... And the wine was not a problem.

 

With a pang in his heart, Jiyong remembered lounging on this very bed with his wife many a times, both of them cuddling together under the blanket, sipping red wine as they discussed their future.

 

Another child.

 

A bigger house.

 

Vacations overseas.

 

One more child.

 

All those are invalid now, Jiyong gritted his teeth almost angrily. She had left him. But he would join her. This wasn't goodbye yet.

 

However, when he stood up from the bed to get to the kitchen, he heard the front door click open, followed by quick footsteps.

 

"Appa! I'm home!"

 

Jirin! How in the hell could he have forgotten about his own son?

 

And something else precious Dara had given him.

 

"Appa?" Jiyong looked down to meet Jirin's chocolate eyes, almost an exact replica of Dara's. His heart faulted again.

 

How could he have thought of leaving his son behind?

 

"Where's Eomma?"

 

"Listen, Jirin, Appa has something important to tell you." He pulled Jirin up to sit next to him and sighed. "You know the stars in the sky? Eomma has gone up to stay there, but she'll be looking after us still, from above."

 

"D- Do you mean Eomma is gone?" Jirin trembled slightly. "Is Eomma dead?"

 

Whoa, blatant much. Jiyong blinked at his son's question. "You know what that means?"

 

"Ne... I'm not that young, Appa." Though Jirin tried to be strong and tease his father, it was clear that he was struggling.

 

"She's gone," Jiyong started, but Jirin began to cry instead in loud sobs. The next following hours could be classified as hell. Whatever Jiyong tried, Jirin wouldn't stop crying. And he, was definitely at his wits end.

 

Finally, wornout and sad, Jirin collapsed onto him, his tears staining his shirt. Jiyong gathered his son and brought him into the bathroom, bathing him for a short awhile. When Jirin was dry and dressed, Jiyong tucked him into his bed, pulling the blanket tight over him. A small hand tugging on his sleeve stopped him when he made to leave.

 

"Appa, will Eomma ever come back?"

 

Feeling his tears starting to flow, Jiyong smiled sadly. "Eomma isn't going to come back. But Jirin has to be a strong boy, and maybe sometimes, Eomma would come and visit you in your dreams," his hand reached out to smoothen his son's fringe, "good night."

 

Jirin nodded and turned to face the wall. When Jiyong closed the door, quiet sniffles started, and he rubbed his eyes wearily. The bedroom seemed empty and cold as the door swung open. Everything reminded him of Dara, the style of the bedroom, the cupboard filled with her clothes, her makeup still lying on a small table. It was painful.

 

A soft rustle from the note Dara wrote drew his attention.

 

Look in her bedside cupboard?

 

Curious, he opened the tiny wooden cupboard. A laptop sat inside while a pile of envelopes rested on top of it. Swallowing nervously, he reached in and brought the objects out into the light. The envelopes had names written on them, in Dara's delicate cursive.

 

Mom.

 

Dad.

 

Jirin.

 

Chaerin.

 

Bom.

 

Jiyong.

 

With trembling hands, he kept the rest of the envelopes on a table and brought the laptop and his letter to the bed. When he was settled down, he opened the envelope carefully.

 

One single sheet of paper rested inside, folded nicely. Jiyong realized that Dara had fused the paper in her delicate perfume as he lifted it to his nose to sniff.

 

She always did think of everything.

 

Dear Jiyong,

 

If you're reading this, then it probably means that I'm already gone. I wrote this letter in case technology gets better in future and you can't watch the video anymore. Who knows what will happen? Besides, traditional is the way to go!

 

I'm sorry. I just left you and Jirin like that. I found out that I had cancer around a month ago. By then, I was already depressed, because I knew you had already been cheating on me. One day, I felt unwell, so I went to a clinic for a prescription, in case it was just se everyday flu.

 

They directed me to Chaerin's hospital instead.

 

I have to admit, I was really, really scared. What other reason would I be sent to a hospital specializing in cancer? When Chaerin told me I was diagnosed with cancer, my heart stopped. I didn't want to leave Jirin behind, leave you behind. The cancer was at its latest stage, and there was a slim chance that I would recover if I went for the operation.

 

I would die anyway. But dying as an extremely weak, bald, unsightly woman? You should know that that is definitely not my style. So I decided not to go for the operation. And live my last month as happily as I could.

 

I knew that you would want to leave me soon, but I didn't expect you to spring it on me so quickly. You didn't love me anymore, that was what I had thought. I was desperate to keep you with me, and wanted to tell you about my illness. But you would have pressed me to go for the operation. And be worried and unhappy for the rest of the time we had left.

 

I didn't want that. I wanted you to remember me as the bright, never-give-up Dara, always cheerful. So I kept it a secret away from you. And everyone else except for Chaerin.

 

Don't be sad, Jiyong.

 

When you do feel sad, think of all the times we spent together! The last month we shared together, it was the best feeling ever. Being in your arms every morning. Of course, our wedding night, the times we had spent in the university, the conversations we shared together. In love. We have too many memories together to state them all. With you, every single day was a great memory.

 

She had gone on to reminisce about the past.

 

The first time they met.

 

The first time they confessed their love to each other.

 

The first time they decided to move in together.

 

The first time they kissed.

 

Their marriage, and vows to each other.

 

Their honeymoon.

 

The moment when she was giving birth to Jirin, when they held hands tightly to share the pain. When they heard Jirin's first cry, everything was worth it.

 

And many more.

 

To tell you the truth, the only one I ever loved in my whole life was you. My parents, Bom, even Jirin. I feel horrible, but among all of them, I loved you the most. And I still don't know if you still love me or not, but when I take my last breath, you would be the only person in my mind.

 

I was selfish. I didn't want you to leave me before my life ended. So I used Jirin's examinations as an excuse. I wanted you to hug me, to touch me again, so I asked for you to carry me from our bedroom door to the front door every morning. If not to revisit happy memories, then just to lay in your arms, feeling your warmth. The last few weeks of my life were the happiest I've had in a long while.

 

I'm actually blind now, which I suppose is around the last week I'd be living.

 

I can't see anything. All I see is white, blurry white with blobs, and sometimes black. But the clearest image I see, is you. The way your eyes looked at me when we were in the early stages in our love. The way your lips sometimes curved into a smirk every time you were right while I was not. Your beautiful, angular face, free of all worries as you slept.

 

Just something extra- I was really, really happy when you got all angry because Jaejoong was hanging out with me previously. It was so cute and I had hope that you still loved me. I sound so petty, haha.

 

I hope that you will pursue your own happiness when I'm gone. Don't be so hung up on me (wait no, please do). I'll wait for the day you join me among the stars, and I'll watch over you. Take care of Jirin for me. And please don't forget me.

 

I'm too tired to continue writing, so this is it!

 

I love you.

 

Forever yours,

 

Sandara Park

Your wife.

 

P.S. If you were to remarry and get another woman... I wish you all the best. But I'm pretty sure I'll be the only be who loves you this much. Okay, just joking. Love you!

 

As Jiyong reached the end of the letter, he blinked, watching his tears drip onto the paper. The paper itself already had a few tracks of dried tears.

 

Dara's.

 

Folding the letter carefully, he tucked it back into its envelope. His heart thudded painfully in his chest.

 

If you were to remarry...

 

Did he want to remarry? Shocked, Jiyong shook his head violently. The thought of someone other than Dara, next to him in bed everytime he woke up in the morning, welcoming him home from work, taking her place in his life, no! Definitely no. It would be too painful, and besides...

 

No one can replace Dara and never will.

 

The letter was placed carefully into his bedside cupboard along with his other personal items- photos of him and Dara when they were much, much, younger, etc.

 

As he rifled through the other objects, he came across another photo. It was one of Dara and him sitting on a small, grassy area, faces so close that their noses were touching. The photo was taken beautifully, a quarter of it showed the two subjects, and the rest of the photo revealed a pitch black sky, painted with many, many stars. Jiyong closed his eyes sadly as he remembered what had happened on that happy night...

 

"Jiyong! Come sit down over here!" He looked up from his map only to see Dara waving to him excitedly.

 

"This is the place?" He replied sceptically, an eyebrow raised. "The oh-so-wonderfully-great place?"

 

"Yep!" she chirped. Rolling his eyes playfully, he made his way to her, gesturing to their other friends to follow. "According to the princess, this is the spot guys!"

 

"You serious?"

 

Jiyong couldn't help but agree with his friend. It was a quick decision to go out camping and Dara, apparently, had a great place to introduce to them, so they agreed to follow her. Now, things were looking rather doubtful. They were standing on a small grassy hill which was free of rocks so they didn't have to worry about tripping over. There were no streetlamps to guide their way and no connection either, so they had to rely on their map skills instead.

 

It was night now.

 

Everywhere was dark- Jiyong could hardly see his hands in front of him. Fortunately, some of them had the sense to bring some torches, and they set to pitching the tents quickly on the even ground. When everything was done, the men could finally relax. Huffing, they trooped over to where their girlfriends were sitting.

 

"Yah, Chaerin, move your over," Seungri grumbled unhappily, tired as he sat down next to her. Within minutes, his head was on her shoulder and he snored away happily. Their friends laughed as Chaerin made a face of disgust. Not far away, Bom was fiddling with her camera, trying to juggle her cup of corn at the same time. Her boyfriend laughed and took the corn away from her, stealing a spoonful before Bom managed to snatch it back.

 

"Top! Seriously! You know how I feel about corn!" Bom's shrill voice echoed and the others groaned. "Chill girl, chill," Top said soothingly with his hands out. When she was finally placated, he deemed the spot next to her safe and sat down comfortably.

 

Jiyong shared a look with Dara and they both chuckled to themselves. "Honestly..." Jiyong said, "you'd think they're both kids."

 

"Isn't the sky nice tonight?" Dara hummed in reply. "Look at all those stars! You'd never see anything like that in the city."

 

Surprised, Jiyong looked up. Dara was right.

 

Small specks of stars sparkled across the dark sky, some bigger than others, some smaller. It was beautiful.

 

"When I was smaller," Dara folded her legs together, and leaned her back against Jiyong's front, "my mother used to tell me that when people died, their souls travelled to the sky, where they formed stars."

 

"It's a beautiful way to be after you die, isn't it?"

 

Jiyong tilted his head to the side. "I guess so."

 

"When I die, do you think I'd be a star in the sky?"

 

Her childish, innocent question took him by surprise.

 

"I'm not quite sure about that..."

 

"But, if you do become a star in the sky, I'd spend every night trying to find you among the stars."

 

"Oh, really?" Dara laughed softly, "and what would you do if you found me?"

 

"Then I'd join you, and we'd still be together. In this vast, endless sky."

 

Tears formed in Dara's eyes and she hugged him tightly. "Hey! What's with the crying?" He asked in alarm. The girl shook her head and looked up, her lips inches from his. "I love you, Jiyong-ah."

 

A small grin formed on his lips as he brushed them against hers softly.

 

"I love you too, Dara."

 

After a few more seconds of staring into each other's eyes in love...

 

Click!

 

A huge flash blinded their eyes and they jumped back from each other, startled. Still trying to blink the spot away, Dara had turned to find the culprit.

 

"Hey guys!" Bom's cheerful voice emitted from the darkness, "we figured out how to use the flash! And oh boy, do you guys look cute and cuddly!"

 

"Bommie!!!!!!!" Dara cried out as she lunged after her fraternal twin. "You are so going to get it!"

 

As the two girls pushed and giggled in the grass, Top and Jiyong sat far away from the tussle and shook their heads.

 

Girls...

 

Jiyong chuckled as his memory faded. Ah, the good times were brief, but not one was forgettable. He opened the laptop and started when a video started playing. It seemed long, and for a few seconds, only a black screen showed.

 

Suddenly, the blackness disappeared and revealed Dara smiling nervously (albeit rather sadly) at the camera.

 

"Well, this is all rather embarrassing, since I haven't ever done this kind of thing before. It can be a... video diary! Right! For the last few weeks of my life."

 

She cleared and fidgeted in her chair, clearly uncomfortable. "Hmm... erm," she stammered, "this video is dedicated to my one and only husband, Kwon Jiyong." Then she rolled her eyes and laughed. "This is all too awkward and formal."

 

"Hi Jiyong! Right now, you're probably gallavanting with your new toy," at this, her face twisted into a grimace, "but whatever. I just gotta tell you some stuff. Alright."

 

"First of all, it was a really great fifteen years I had spent with you. The first five years from when we went... And then we got married, had Jirin earlier than we expected... And now he's ten and I'm,

 

I'm leaving you. I don't regret anything we've been through. Everything was beautiful and unforgettable, and,

 

I love you."

 

"So onto the story, I felt a little sick one day, and went to the doctor's for medication thinking it was some flu bug travelling around. Anyway, it turned out that I had cancer. It was too late to be cured, the final stage. My doctor was Chaerin, and yea. I decided not to tell anyone... I was worried and aw heck, what was I going to tell you?"

 

"In the end, I didn't even have to think," a bitter chuckle punctuated her words, "you brought up the divorce on that very day."

 

At this, Jiyong flinched. How could he?

 

"It hurt so much, you wouldn't believe it. Like my heart was torn into two as you stared at me with those stone- cold eyes, talked to me in that tone only used with unagreeable clients. It hurt," Dara's head bowed low, as she choked. "I couldn't, didnt dare to tell you about my sickness. I only had one month left, so what should I do?"

 

"I was so worried. What about this, what about that? I couldn't sleep at all on that night. So I got up, and decided to write letters to everyone. That reminds me," Dara smiled at him (or the camera), "remember to pass those letters to the ones they're addressed to. For Jirin, I wrote one for each of his birthdays, all the way till he's 23. I couldn't get him presents since I was too weak to go out shopping, but remember to tell him that I love him!"

 

"Ahem, anyway, I made that embarrassing request of you carrying me here and there. You didn't mind, did you?" Big, brown eyes stared up at him, pleadingly, "it was silly, but I don't regret it. By the way, I was surfing the net, you know, watching all the Disney songs and movies, reminiscing, and I came across this song!"

 

With a farawar look in her eyes, she winked, "Cause You'll Be In My Heart," she sang lightly, the delicate notes flowing smoothly.

 

"Yes, you'll be in my heart.

From this day on,

Now, and forever more."

 

She paused and started another verse, with a sad smile on her lips, eyes tearing.

 

"For one so small,

You seem so strong.

My arms will hold you,

Keep you safe and warm.

 

This bond between us,

Can't be broken,

I will be here,

Don't you cry."

 

"Love you, dear," With that, the video ended and started another.

 

The whole video turned out to be many videos, one per day, linked together.

 

It was so, very long, but Jiyong spent the rest of his night, lying on his bed. Listening to Dara's soft voice, looking at her expressions, going through their photos from the past.

 

Finally, the video ended. He stowed the laptop into the cupboard carefully, and headed out to the balcony where he proceeded to look at the stars.

 

I'll join you soon, my love. But Jirin needs me, so you'll have to wait...

 

When he turned away, a small star in the sky winked and shone brightly.

 

That night, he fell asleep with Dara's letter clutched to his chest. 

 

 


 

my god, I don't I?

But I've just had the roughest start of the year, ever.

I mean, I had this close friend from the past year and

stuff between us just went from everything to zero.

 

(PS, if you're reading this, I'm so freaking sorry and I just miss you, okay!?)

 

So sorry for not updating B| Hope this makes up some.

Excuse my suddenly deteriorating writing,

And  COMMENT ! -stares-

 

xoxo.

 

 

You'll Be In My Heart