TRANSFER

FOREVER IN ABYSS

 

 

“Transferees! Transferees!” called one of Yuri’s classmates called.

 

He sighed. If you’d think celebrities are all prim and proper, then you’d be mistaken. He shrugged, of course, they are still human beings.

 

The class was suddenly enveloped in hubbub.

 

“A transferee, at this middle of the year?” Ryosuke asked amused at his classmates’ behavior.

 

“Quiet!” it was Shida’s booming voice. She glared at her classmates. The class steadied and the students came back to their seats.

 

Their teacher then entered the classroom eyeing the quiet class with a smile. “I see you pissed your class representative again.” She commented.

 

Shida stood up. “Stand!” she called. The class followed quietly. “Bow!” The class did what they were told.

 

The teacher beamed and gestured them to take their seats. “I know you already heard that we have transferees then I’ll let you meet them.” She urged them to come in. Two girls walked in.

 

“Eh!?” Ryosuke gasped seeing the transferees.

 

“Ohayo gozaimasu,” One of the girls started which made Yuri turn his head towards the voice and gasped while Yuto who was seated beside him grabbed his arm painfully but he didn’t bother.

 

“Watashiwa Arisawa Shizuka, yoroshiku onegaishimasu!” she said and bowed to the class.

 

The other girl stepped in. “Ohayou. Watashiwa Miazaki Hana. Yoroshiku!” the girl said and then gave a pointed glance at the three of them before bowing.

 

“Youkoso!” It was Shida which was seconded by Umika and then the rest of the class and happy clap.

 

They were showed into two empty seats besides Kamiki Ryuunusuke who was staring at the shocked face of Ryosuke beside him. One of his eyebrows cocked and leaned forward to whisper on his ear. Ryosuke shook his head in what seemed to Yuri as denial.

 

The rest of the classes went on as Yuri kept on glancing on the wall clock on top of the front door. He was eagerly awaiting their break time. Few times, his teacher called him to answer some questions but since his mind and eyes kept on drifting towards the vampires beside Kamiki, he was twice scolded.

 

He was aware that his two friends could also feel the same tension as his.

 

Shizuka seemed not to mind them, but the other girl… she seemed to be giving them glances which made Yuri more conscious.

 

As the alarm sounded, Yuri remained seated. Ryosuke and Yuto did the same while the rest of the class went to their own business. As the girls stood up and walked, Ryosuke followed. Yuri and Yuto did the same.

 

They found themselves staring at the girls under the shade of a huge low-lying tree besides the almost empty football field. The athletes had just scattered to also take their break leaving the field with very few students who didn’t even pay them any attention.

 

“What are you doing here?” Yuto asked. His voice seemed confused and nervous at the same time.

 

“Jhenie-sama thinks that Chinen-kun needed protection.” Shizuka answered. She looked everywhere as if making sure nobody was listening before she continued.

 

“Why would he need it?” Yuto asked in confusion. “Is he a target? Well, four of us are not Hunters so I guess we all need protection.”

 

Shizuka stared at Yuri in confusion. Yuri stared back at her and shook his head. Then, her eyebrow cocked up as if she understood everything. “Hai! Well, it seemed that the other clan… you know-the other clan?” she stated rather than asked. “They seemed to feel Yuri’s presence when the black wings attacked Oburi… you know when you dreamed about it.”

 

Yuri flinched while Shizuka stared at him. He was sure that he caught her brown eyes changed into red but immediately turned to brown. “Did you see this coming?” he asked.

 

Shizuka sighed and shook her head. Her face became flooded with fear. “I am afraid that everything becomes vague.” She looked away.

 

Hana stared at her as she spoke. Ryosuke had his back on them but he was obviously listening.

 

“It seems like somebody is trying to block what I see. Flashes come to my mind but they aren’t giving me anything.” She said with a hint of frustration. “This is the first time that my premonitions aren’t vivid. It frightens me.”

 

Yuto breathed heavily. He closed his eyes. “What else is happening?” he asked.

 

“Jhenie-sama felt a stirring in the North. Mysterious deaths have been happening in scattered areas. She couldn’t get in touch with our colleagues there. She is afraid that they might have been cornered.”

 

“There was also a huge activity amongst the hunters.” It was Hana. She seemed uncomfortable talking to them. “And these hunters, they kill all, may it be the other clan or us.” She regarded them under her lashes before continuing. “We are not sure if our sisters in the North could survive attacks from both groups. They also have the smallest community.”

 

“Smallest community?” Ryosuke asked. His voice was filled with fear. “You mean smaller than yours?”

 

Hana looked down and sighed. “Sadly, yes.”

 

Yuri bit his lower lip and slapped the tree trunk in frustration. “Gomenasai, we couldn’t do anything for you.” He said sourly.

 

Hana smirked. “We are not asking your help, human!” she spat at the word human as if it was a curse and stomped away.

 

“Gomenasai.” Shizuka sighed staring at her friend’s back walking away. “She is not fond of humans, especially those who have hunters for friends.”

 

“Nande?” it was Yuto.

 

“Long story.” She said and looked away.

 

 

****

 

Yuri opened his eyes and listened to his surroundings. He didn’t shift position in his bed but grabbed the silver dagger that Ryutaro gave him for protection from under his pillow. He gripped the cold metal handle while he took in his sense of hearing every single movement in the area.

 

The house was very quiet, which was normal since everybody had gone to sleep. What awakened him was the fact that the surrounding area was also unusually quiet. The regular chirping of the cicada and the occasional hoot of owls were gone. The birds, the small animals, all of them were quiet as if they were hiding from something.  The blowing of the wind in the leaves of their huge mango tree was also masked by the silence of the evening.

 

Yuri pulled the silver dagger under his pillow and held it in his hand as he silently pulled the sheets away from his body and sat up. He stared at his ceiling and walls of his bedroom. His eyes strained to look outside his glass window. It was ebony dark, outside.

 

His room was also dark, except for the light reflecting from the silver knife in his hands.

 

He wasn’t shock when a flap of huge wings broke the silence of the night. It flattered on his roof. He breathed quietly while listening to the creature’s movements. He quietly stood from his bed, getting himself ready for anything.

 

His heartbeat quickened as if it was anticipating something. He stared at the ceiling. He raised the dagger towards the any movement that he could hear.

 

The flapping of the wings continued more and became evident and then suddenly if flew away. Yuri saw it pass his window baring its teeth in him and its red eyes flashed angrily. Yuri gripped his dagger and glared eye to eye with creature. Then it flew out in the night.

 

Yuri sighed. He smiled. His heart was now breathing wildly. He didn’t even feel any fear at the event. He was even flushed and energized. It was as if blood was pumping in his veins. It was as if he could take on anything. It was as if he had been doing such things for the rest of his life. He had never felt this kind of fighting urge in his system before and he liked the feeling. He found himself laughing in amusement.

 

The usual night sounds came back. The stars twinkled brightly. He came back on his bed and clasped the dagger in his hands and closed his eyes.