THE WAKING

FOREVER IN ABYSS

 

 

 

Yuri found himself in front of a large yard. He stared at the house in front of him. It was the same house that he saw the night he arrived in this dream.

 

He knew he had seen that house before but he couldn’t remember where. A man walked out towards the yard. He was wearing a thick black cloak. The knight beside him, hid behind the bushes. Yuri followed.

 

Another man walked outside. He was the vampire that they saw the night before. He was the one who checked the girls.

 

“Bring me a .” The first man commanded. The other man bowed and went inside.

 

Sir Vermelli, quietly walked nearer. Yuri followed. He heard a twig snapped and froze. Sir Vermelli did the same.

 

The man looked at their way. Red eyes aiming towards them. Yuri gasped and froze. A familiar chill went up his spine. His breath was almost cut as he stared at those blazing his.

 

He knew those eyes. He had seen them several times before. He couldn’t be wrong. He had seen them in his nightmares. They had woken him up in the middle of the night and haunted him down until the morning, never letting him to fall asleep again.

 

The servant vampire went out and got the attention of the first vampire. He was followed by two more vampires who had an unconscious girl in their arms.

 

Yuri slumped on the ground as he felt himself drained. The knight beside him didn’t seem to notice.

 

The vampire held his hand and a fire emerged from the dry woods that was set there as if it were to be used in a campers’ bonfire. The fire blazed as if the it understood what the vampire wanted.

 

The vampire held out his hand and a golden goblet appeared in his hands. Yuri trembled in fear. The vampire is an alchemist. In his other hand, a knife appeared.

 

He handed the goblet to the servant and held the wrist of the girl. He was about to cut it down when the knight beside Yuri stood up.

 

Yuri saw the vampires attention were in them immediately.

 

“Stop whatever you are planning!” Sir Vermelli shouted and charged at the vampire.

 

The vampire just smirked and held his hand out towards the knight.

 

The knight was immediately suspended in the air and clutching his throat as if something was choking him. “In the name of the good Lord, let the girl go!” the knight shouted despite being strangled by an invisible force.

 

“Who are you to command me, human?” the vampire inquired. He pulled his hand towards him bringing along Sir Vermelli who was still suspended in the air.  

 

 Then, Yuri felt the air behind him moved as something went passed his eyes in a split second. The next thing he saw was the falling Sir Vermelli who stumbled on the grasses.

 

The vampire who was previously holding him froze an arrow in midair.

 

Yuri backed away. He clutched his heart. So, that was what passed beside him. He slowly looked back and saw the dreamer holding a silver bow and arrow. He moved away from the man. Another man appeared beside him and then another. One man helped Sir Vermelli to his feet. All these men are wearing armors with a red cross in the middle. They were wearing red capes over white vests.

 

He got confused. Vampires went out of the house.

 

The vampires leaped out towards the chivalry. The chivalry did the same led by Sir Vermelli.

 

Yuri heard some hooves, followed by dusts of horse hooves as more templar knights appeared.

 

A vampire appeared behind him and leaped at one of the warrior. The warrior had his back on the vampire so Yuri took out the silver knife that Ryutaro gave him.

 

He run and leaped towards the vampire. He struck it behind but the blade just passed on it. Yuri stumbled because of the strength that he used. He stared in horror as he realized that he was in a memory and couldn’t do anything.

 

The vampire bore his pangs on the warrior. Yuri saw as the warrior’s blood oozed from the wounds and the vampire sipped at it, enjoying himself.

 

Yuri couldn’t do anything but shut his eyes close and pray for the man’s soul.

 

 

The next time Yuri opened his eyes, he was staring at the marble table in front of him. He was looking at the same marble table that they thought was the coffin of Sir Vermelli. So, it was actually a table and not a coffin. He laughed at their stupidity.

 

Seven people were seated in the table. “Sir Antonov, I need the records.” Sir Vermelli said.

 

An old man in brown Dominican robe handed him a brown parcel. The knight stood up and walked outside.

 

“Where are you going?” One of the man stood up and asked.

 

“I will just show our little guest something.” Sir Vermelli said and walked out leaving the other men in a confused state.

 

Yuri, also confused, followed the knight.

 

They were in a clearing. The moon was shining above. There were flowers everywhere. They stopped in front of a clear spring. It was hidden behind tall trees and large rocks.

 

Sir Vermelli put down the book on one big rocks. He then stripped himself of his clothes and neatly put it beside the book.

 

Yuri looked at the man in confusion, he wanted to ask what the man wanted to show him but he couldn’t bring himself to do so, not knowing if the man would even hear him.

 

The man stepped in the spring. Yuri could see the man bathed in the light of the moon. He gasped as a mark gleamed on his shoulder. It was a crescent moon and a cross.

 

He was amazed as the mark glowed. The mark in the coffin. I mean t-table. he stood up as he was being drawn towards the apparition.

 

The man stood up again and went out of the water. He took his clothes and wore them over his wet body.

 

He then set the book and kneeled behind the stone. Yuri choked. The knight almost looked like Jesus when he was praying in the garden of Gethsemane.

 

The knight stood up and gathered some fire woods. Yuri just watched the man’s movements. When he gathered enough firewood, he took some powdered material from his pocket and scattered it on the woods.

 

He took two stones and a piece of dried wood and struck them together. Yuri just sat in confusion. He knew that the man could just light it with a match.

 

As if hearing his thoughts, the knight said, “It would just spoil the purity of nature’s gifts.” He continued to make fire from the wood and stone until it sparked. He threw the fire towards the bonfire. It immediately caught fire.

 

Yuri stared in amusement as the fire turned into a blissful blue flame. One couldn’t do that in a bonfire, make it eternal blue.

 

Sir Vermelli took the book of the literati and held it out. Yuri could make out the brown cover and the browning pages.

 

Sir Vermelli held it up and looked at the sky above taking in the moon and the stars. “May the Lord above guide you on your quest. Let your knowledge be known to those who are in need.” As he finished, he tossed the book to the fire.

 

Yuri’s eyes opened wide. “No~~~!” he shouted as the book was eaten by the eternal blue fire.

 

Sir Vermelli made a sign of the cross on the fire. “Only the soul of the pure one will be able to survive the fire.”

 

At this words, Sir Vermelli walked away. Yuri was left staring at the burning book. Their last hope was gone…

 

Then, he heard a growl and a face seemed to form from the fire. Another one formed and then another. They flickered and went back to the bottom of the fire. They were shouting.

 

Yuri stepped near the fire. He couldn’t feel any heat coming from it.

 

He held out his hand. “Don’t!” he could swear he heard one of the faces shouted.

 

“Help us!” one mouthed.

 

“Don’t go near the fire!”

 

“Get the book!”

 

“No! The fire will eat you!”

Yuri stared in horror and confusion. He was seeing the soul of the previous dreamers. They were trapped in this eternal flame.