A NEW HOPE

FOREVER IN ABYSS

 

A NEW HOPE

 

Yuya couldn’t remember how many times he had already walked the seiden. He had been facing back and forth ever since Yuri slept. He had been watching his watch, taking in the reality that he had been awake for almost three days. He had tried to sleep but he kept on waking up thinking that Yuri might have already woke up.

 

He slumped on the side and took a bag of chips. He tore it open and munched on the potato chips. He nervously fiddled on the contents before setting it aside and stood up to face here and there again.

 

He couldn’t take the waiting anymore. He stood up and walked towards the hidden chamber. He grimaced as he stared at the peaceful expression of his sleeping friend.

 

“Chinen-kun!” he called and shook the younger’s body. “Wake up already! Come on!”

 

The boy didn’t even stirred.

 

“When will you wake up?!” he scolded him in frustration.

 

Giving up, he walked out and resumed eating the chips that he left on the floor.

 

He was contemplating on what might have happened to Yuri in his dream when the seiden shook.

 

“! What is happening?!”

 

He pulled himself up and held on the wall as the seiden continued shaking. “Damn!” he walked in unsteady foot towards the hidden door and opened it. He stumbled as he couldn’t find proper footing as he jumped down. “, Chinen-kun! I need to bring him out. What the heck is happening?!” he asked allowed as the earthquake continued. He heard a chandelier crashed as it fell down upstairs.

 

He fidgeted at the lock of the chamber as he couldn’t see where he was going. When he opened the door, the earthquake stopped.

 

He immediately stepped in. He almost collapsed when he saw that Yuri was still there sleeping unharmed. He looked around the room, nothing was out of place, as if the earthquake didn’t happen.

 

He stepped towards the tomb. His brows creased as he looked down on the younger guy. Yuri was clutching a big brownish book in his chest.

 

“Chinen-kun!” he called and shook the younger one. “Chinen, wake up!”

 

Yuri stirred and groaned.

 

Yuya’s breath stopped as the younger one slowly opened his eyes. He gasped and pulled Chinen in a bear hug.

 

“A-anou…” came the small weak voice.

 

Yuya pushed him carefully. “Hai?”

 

“Nii-tan, w-water.” The young one stammered.

 

“Uhm, hai!” Yuya nodded and carefully helped Yuri on his feet. He helped Yuri sit beside the tomb before climbing up. He stepped away from the broken glass and grabbed the jug of water he had been reserving.

 

When he went down, he found Yuri flipping on the book on his lap. Yuya opened the jug and poured some water on a small cup before helping Yuri with it.

 

“Arigatou!” the younger one said.

 

“What happened to you?” Yuya asked.

 

Yuri looked up. “I saw everything. I was barely able to come back. I thought I was dying.” He said weakly then looked at the shrine of the fallen dreamers. “I couldn’t do anything for them.” He said. “They are trapped on that dream forever.” Tears fell down from his eyes.

 

“What do you mean?” Yuya asked while staring at Yuri.

 

“Their souls…” he sniffed. His eyes full of loneliness as if he couldn’t take what he saw. “They were neither in the heaven nor hell. They are trapped in the dream.”

 

“How were you able to come out exactly?” Yuya asked.

 

Yuri closed his eyes as he recalled everything.

 

Yuri immediately knew what to do. He needed to do it though he knew that it could eventually kill him. He could die. His body would rot while his soul will be trapped in the eternal fire with the souls of the fallen.

 

He held out a hand. Some souls shrieked in fright as they knew that another one would be with them while the others held out fiery hands to accept him.

 

He stepped in the fire. He couldn’t feel any heat. No. The fire was kind of warm but it was a comforting one. He felt his body getting succumbed. It was not as bad as he thought.

 

Then, he felt it. He felt a tug in his stomach as if his soul was being out of him. It was as if it was trying to get out of his body. Yuri looked around him. The face where shaking. Some were pointing below.

 

Yuri looked at where they were pointing. The book lies there on the bottom. He immediately recognized it. It was as if it was never burned. He swam towards the book. It was buried with gold, jewels and precious stones. There were other books beside it.

 

He gasped when he saw one of the titles - “The Secret of the Monsters”. Curiosity almost got over him as he tried to pull out the book when a soul hovered before him and shook his head.

 

Yuri understood. He was about to grab the book that he needs when he felt the familiar tag.

 

The other souls hovered nervously to him. He grabbed the book and clutched it to his chest.

 

Then, he felt a force him upwards. He saw the faces of the other fallen dreamers. They were smiling at him as they got farther and farther away.”

 

“I’m proud of you.” Yuya said and smiled at his friend. “I knew you could make it.”

 

Yuri smiled at him. “Arigatou nii-tan.”

 

Yuya nodded. “Let’s go. Let’s get out of here.