Chapter 2... The family...

Yeteuk... Black Velvet

 

Leeteuk explained that his parents moved here a month ago because of his dad's work. He didn't know anyone here and most of his relatives were deceased.

 

Yesung, as for him, told Leeteuk his parents came here when he was eight. He didn't remember too well his previous home, but he still had clear memories of certain events and meaningful places. His father'd died three years ago. It was a car accident.

 

At this statement, Yesung cringed. He hated lying. It wasn't a car accident that killed his father. It was another cat...

 

-----------------------------

 

Yesung's family was special, as you may have noticed. They were a very important family of goyangi - cats - a very powerful and ancient family. Some people called them demons, but the goyangi aren't demons. They're simply humans who have cat abilities. Speed. Agility. Sharp eyesight. A tail, claws and cat ears. Some families have the ability to transform their bodies. The shape shifters can become a cat entirely. Only the head family has that power. Only Yesung's family has that power, but Yesung can't shape shift... Only his younger brother can...

 

A few years before his parents switched countries, there was a war between the numerous house holds. Lower ranked cats tried to take over, but those loyal to the king were able to quiet things and reestablish order.

 

Five years after the conflict had ended, they lost control over the rebellion and the goyangi lost their king... a peace treaty was signed and the ones responsible were imprisoned, but non of this would ever bring Yesung's father back... Now the conflict has spilled from the Korean border and is raging here, on the American continent.

 

Non of this is none to humans. No human must know...

 

----------------------------------

 

Yesung looked down. He was ashamed to lie to his friend, his only friend, but he had no choice. No human must know... His mother'd drilled this sentence into his mind to make sure he would never say anything.

 

Leeteuk looked him with sad eyes. Without warning, he took him in his arms and whispered softly in Yesung's ear...

 

- I'm sorry for your loss...

 

Yesung's skin crawled. He could feel Leeteuk's breath on his neck. Shivers ran throughout his entire body. He painfully restrained a moan. Cats are very sensitive creatures. For Yesung, his most vulnerable spot was his neck. His ears popped for the third time today. He blushed. He wanted to push Leeteuk away, but he couldn't.

 

There was no one else in the bus but them. “Thank god...”, Yesung sighed in relief. The young man started understanding why he lost control over his ears. He was never confronted with desire before... He had no idea how to react under such emotion...

 

- Nineteenth street, announced the automated voice system in charge of signalling each and every stop.

 

Yesung snapped out of it. Pushed Teuki and took his bag.

 

- I got to go... We'll talk tomorrow... Night..., he said a bit out of it and in a hurry.

 

- See ya tomorrow!, yelled Leeteuk as Yesung left the bus.

 

“It sure wasn't like any other day in the end...”, thought Yesung walking to his house. His mom wasn't home yet so he'd have to wait before asking her questions. And questions, he had plenty. Their mom hadn't thought him and his brother how to use their powers completely. They only knew how to hide some things and use others at will. They didn't even know the first thing about fighting. But, it wasn't lessons in self defence that Yesung needed. He usually had an excellent control over his ears, so why did he have such a hard time controlling them today...

 

The door bell rang.

 

Yesung jumped. Instinctively his ears went down and back as his claws appeared. His pupils contracted. He was ready to strike. Well, on the outside only. When he was startled, his instincts kicked in. Yesung couldn't summon his instincts on demand. He needed to learn self defence.

 

He noticed it was his neighbour. Immediately, his claws retracted. His pupils relaxed. And he hid his ears. Yesung opened the door still a bit on the edge.

 

- Good evening ma'am. Can I do something for you?, he asked calmly and respectfully.

 

- Yes... You wouldn't happened to have lost your cat would you? I found him on my porch... I'm trying to find his home to return him there, she said a kind smile on her lips.

 

- No... We don't have cats, my mom's allergic. But, I know who the owner is... He's my uncle's cat. He lives not far from here... I'll take him there... Thank you ma'am. Thank you so much.

 

- You're welcome, anything to help. Have a good night..., she said leaving the feline in Yesung's hands.

 

Yesung closed the door, making sure the lady was gone. He turned to the cat with an angry look in his eyes. The creature dropped his ears. A sign of submission and fear.

 

- How many times have we told you not to shift without mom present and running off somewhere... Ahgr... You're an insufferable lil bro you know that?!..., he stopped suddenly, a sly smile illuminating his face,... You're stuck... aren't you? Oh that's priceless... Sometimes, I'm really happy I can't shift. Especially when I see what stupidities you do... And besides with my lack of control..., the kitten tilted it's head, not understanding his brother. He always had an amazing control over his feline features. Why would he say something like that,... Nah, forget it... Come on I'll try to help you revert back...

 

Yesung's brother ran away. Clearly his way of telling his older brother only their mother could help him out.

 

- Fine I won't try anything... But you stay here... Mom should be home soon, yelled Yesung to the playful cat.

 

Yesung sighed. He had a mountain of homework with his name on it. “Duty calls...”, he laughed. So he tackled his beefy manuals and started writhing. After a few minutes, his brother showed up. He was still in cat form. He looked at his older brother. Yesung didn't notice his presence. He was too concentrated on some parabolic equation to pay attention to him. The kitty frowned. He didn't like being ignored. Instinct. Cats like to be petted and cared for, but only when they want to. In his transformation, Yesung's brother's instincts were heightened. So, he simply climbed on the sofa and purring, he laid on Yesung's lap. The elder still ignored him, but he loved his brother so he petted him on the head, his dark brown eyes never leaving his books.

 

An hour passed. Then two. Six o'clock was nearing when the boys' mom came into the house.

 

She was a beautiful woman. Her face was very feline-like. Her narrow eyes looked like they were painted on by a skilled perfectionist... Her delicate nose looked as though an ancient and talented sculptor had made it... Her heart shaped lips reminded delicate peach blossoms mother nature designed herself... Actually, most of her features reminded Yesung's...

 

She was a social worker. She wanted to help people. There were indeed dangerous places she had to go to, but they weren't a problem for her. “A cat always falls of her paws”, said their mom anytime she would sense her kids worrying about her. She was strong. She was a queen after all.

 

- Boys... You're momma’s back!, How was today... Oh Jinie... Didn't I tell you NOT to shift if I'm not in the house... Ahgr... You're an insufferable lil kid you know that?!..., he rolled his eyes,... Hold still now... Voilà!... Ok let's get dinner ready... Shop, shop... You're momma's hungry!, she commanded the boys with a large smile on her face.

 

Dinner went well. The food was delicious.

 

Their mom talked about work... Jongjin, Yesung's dongsaeng, talked about school... When his mother asked him about school, Yesung loudly cleared his throat and said everything went as it always did. He didn't lie. He simply omitted the truth... Then he remembered Leeteuk's angelic face and blushed softly before telling his mom about him. She observed him with great interest while he narrated his story, nothing he said or did got past her...

 

Before going to bed, Yesung's mom came to his room. She said she had something to tell him and it was important. A bit worried, Yesung invited he to sit next to him.

 

- What is it mom?, the boy asked, trying to figure out what she wanted to talk about.

 

- Well..., the mother started, not too sure how to approach the subject,... Have... have you had trouble keeping you're ears under control lately?, she finally asked.

 

- Hmm... They did pop out... a few times today, replied Yesung.

 

- Three... Ok, ok! Hmm... I suppose you want to know how come! I mean you've always had perfect control over you're feline features, even when you got mad but you couldn't show it, she continued, collecting herself, even if her anxiety was apparent.

 

- Yeah... I think I might have figured it out actually... My powers are tied to my emotions, right?..., she nodded,... I have mastered every emotion. As a result I can recognize that emotion and consciously control my ears or fangs, for example, but... I still haven't mastered... love..., the last word was barely a word. A whisper pales in softness or silence before what came out of Yesung's mouth.

 

- Yes. The only emotion that I, unfortunately, can't help you with... I'm sorry, but you have to figure this one on you're own. It's because everyone feels and responds differently, she said. That was the reason why she was so restless, she couldn't help Yeaung.

 

She kissed her son good night and left him with his thoughts.

 

“Well... I guess I have do this one alone...”, he thought, irritated. Yesung sighed and turned off the lights. It was an issue, but it would wait till morning.

 

Before he fell asleep, Yesung saw Leeteuk's bright smile... heard his kind words... He blushed furiously, turning under the covers planting his face in his pillows. Perhaps it could help him forget his friend, but it didn't work. The young man remembered Leeteuk's embrace and felt he needed him always.

 

Gentle tears came out of his closed eyes as his cousin dampened the sound of his cries. They only just met, but he could already feel a pinch in his heart, thinking there was no way Leeteuk could reciprocate his feelings...