Chapter 3... The past...

Yeteuk... Black Velvet

 

An exasperating buzzing sound echoed in Yesung's room. The alarm clock displayed five thirty in the morning. The young man opened his eyes and slapped the hated object. He got up. For once in a very long time, he actually felt like going to school even if he had to wake up at this ungodly hour.

 

Yesung dressed, brushed his teeth, grabbed a toast and walked out the door. He was late. Again. He always took his time even if his bus was at six. He seldom had time to eat breakfast with his family.

 

The sun was rising lazily though the horizon. Like Yesung, it seemed to crave longer hours of sleep. A gentle mist caught the rays of the waking star and reflected them in a way that made it appear as a ghost more than a haze.

 

The bus arrived just on time as it always did. Yesung got on. His weary eyes stared emptily through the window. Then, the driver the seventeenth. The blank expression on the young man's face disappeared, replaced by an eager smile as he caught a glimpse of the man waiting on the corner. His ears popped, pointing strait in the air as Leeteuk got on. Yesung noticed and slammed his hands on them, shoving his furry extremities inside his hair. He blushed furiously as Leeteuk walked up to him, raising a brow.

 

- Hi... What'ya doing?!, he asked, curious of the younger one's sudden agitation.

 

- Nothing, nothing... Ah... Good morning!, Slept well?!, he said smiling, trying to change the subject.

 

Leeteuk laughed. “He's so cute!, he thought, Just like a cat...”. The elder sat down. He figured that it was best to let Yesung come to him about the reason behind the strange way he acted sometimes, so he answered his question.

 

- Not bad... How about you?

 

Yesung's cheeks coloured a bit once more. He didn't answer right away.

 

He observed the guy in front of him. His eyes were gentle and true. His lips were reddish and a beautiful smile crowned them. His jaw was fine, but strong. A small dimple curved under his lower lip, making his expression cute and real... Yesung bit his lip. “What's wrong with me?! I only just met him! But... I can't stop these feelings... Is it... Instinct?!”, he wondered, trying to get back to reality.

 

- Yeah... Nothing too unusual!, he finally replied, putting on a happy face. He lied again. He hated that, but there was no way he would tell him that he thought of him last night...

 

- Glad to hear that, said Leeteuk, a gentle smile illuminating his face.

 

They made it just in time for first period. Yesung sighed sitting in his usual spot in a corner of the class. french classes in the morning made him wish he hadn't woke up in the first place. The only positive side to the situation, was that now he had a friend. Meaning he wasn't alone in his suffering.

 

They made their way painfully trough french only to wind up in maths. There too, joy didn't strike the student body. People were falling like flies in science as the boringness of the teacher acted like a sedative. By the time they made it to arts class, which was by far the most interesting, half the guys' class mates wanted to go back home.

 

Normally, Yesung would be bored and listening to these morons complain, he'd feel like slapping them across the face. But now... he couldn't care less. Leeteuk sat down next to him and the two started working on their assignments.

 

Because he was a transfer, Leeteuk didn't know what to do. They had to paint a landscape out of their imagination. Yesung showed him what to do and how to do it.

 

- Wow! You're really good..., said Leeteuk deeply impressed by the young man's skills.

 

- Oh, thanks, but I'm not that much of an expert... I'm much better at singing!, he said smiling, happy that his friend liked his drawing.

 

The bell rang. Arts class was the only one that went fast. Leeteuk agreed. They headed to the cafeteria and sat down for lunch. The two men started asking things new friends would talk about. Their likes and dislikes. What school they went to. Their parents. Their past...

 

- Well I really love drawing. My mom taught me. She's really amazing. If she wasn't a social worker, I think she would've became an artist..., Yesung started, a sad look taking over his expression as he said those last words,... But as much as I like painting and stuff, I adore singing. I don't know I feel... like I can do something others can't..., he added his eyes sparkling again.

 

- Yeah, singing is amazing... It gives you a different kind of freedom than plastic arts... I'd love to hear you sing, replied Leeteuk. I bet you have an amazing voice, he added, a sly expression taking over his smile for less than a second.

 

Yesung blushed. A nod was his only answer.

 

The two continued talking about their interests. They got on the subject of parents after Yesung broth up his brother. Leeteuk had an older sister he hadn't seen in years. Yesung apologized applying a comforting hand on Teuki's. He told him it was ok. She was happy where she was and that was all that mattered. They got to the point of asking about their past... A troublesome subject.

 

Leeteuk went first... Like he'd said before, he moved here because of his dad's job. He remembered very well his home town. Seoul was a beautiful place. But his childhood was sketchy... Things that seemed important were tough to remember. He shrugged.

 

- I guess... if it's really important... I'll remember it eventually, said Leeteuk with a smile.

 

- I suppose... It's the same with me... I mean... I do remember faces, areas and events like birthdays and special occasions, but something... someone... Someone's missing..., said Yesung concentrating hard on remembering details.

 

Suddenly, it came to him like a dream, except he was awake. He closed his eyes as a memory flowed into his mind...

 

Tow boys playing in a garden. All around them, flowers blossomed wide. A stream wound peacefully next to the kids. A rose bush. Blood falling out off a cut. One of the boys kissing the wound of the other, a tear rolling down his cheek...

 

Yesung clenched his teeth. Remembering something that seemed lost, strained him, no matter how short the memory was...

 

He opened his eyes. Yesung's gaze met with Leeteuk's intense stare. He seemed so worried. The younger man assured his elder he was fine and they continued their conversation as if nothing'd happened.

 

The first bell signalling lunch time was almost over rang. It was about one thirty five. Fifteen minutes before classes would be resumed. People started heading to their lockers. It was a sunny day today as well. No one wanted to go back in a class and hit some old and dusty books. Not even Yesung. He wanted to stay there and talk with Leeteuk. He wanted to know him better.

 

The two friends left the cafeteria and headed to their lockers, dragging their feet, trying to delay the inevitable. They had no choice. On the way, the elder stopped dead in his tracks. He told Yesung to go on without him, that he would be right behind.

 

Yesung frowned, but obeyed his friend.

 

Once again his day ended in english class. The young man sat in the front row next to the door as he did every time. His teacher looked surprised to see him entering the class so late. Her eyes sparkled, a satisfied smile appearing on her face.

 

- What... What is it miss Laurel?!,asked Yesung a bit confused.

 

- Nothing, nothing..., she said,... Can't I be happy that my favourite student finally found a friend who likes him for who he is?..., she added in a low tone.

 

“So she knows... How?!...”, asked himself Yesung intrigued. Class started. Yesung frowned. His sadness looked endless as he stared at the empty seat next to him. Leeteuk wasn't there. Where did he go?! He said he would be right behind him.

 

The day ended as it had started. Yesung got on the bus who was on time as always. His weary eyes stared emptily through the window. He still wondered why Leeteuk ditched him without a word, and on the day they get an important oral project together. The subject: a foreign city. Miss Laurel had put together the teams herself this time. Choosing which team would present what city, she'd decided that Yesung would work with Leeteuk and, because they were both korean, she felt they would do better at presenting their own country than someone else.

 

- Seventeenth street, the automated voice announced.

 

Yesung got off. It wasn't his stop, but it was Leeteuk's... He wasn't angry, on the contrary, he was worried. He wanted to see if his elder was ok and let him know they were together for a class project.

 

One problem clearly stood out to the cat when he looked at the houses; Which one was Leeteuk's?...