Chapter 1... The class room...

Yeteuk... Black Velvet

 

High school's hard. Teachers expect a lot from their students. Parents expect a lot from their kids. You're told that the choices you have to make on the spot affect you're whole life. You have to please everyone's capricious pretences. The teachers... The parents... But the worst people, the most difficult to comprehend are the other students...

 

Ever hear of bullying? Well, if you haven't, you're about to enter a world where all will be explained...

 

------------------------------------

 

Noon. The first bell signalling lunch time was almost over rang. It was about one thirty five. Fifteen minutes before classes would be resumed. People started heading to their lockers. It was a sunny day. No one wanted to go back in a class and hit some old and dusty books.

 

No one?! No... One student was so impatient for this day to end that he was already in class...

 

Kim Jongwoon, but all his friends called him Yesung, well they would if he had any. He was sitting in a front corner of the classroom, close to the door, waiting for his english class to start. An unusual name for a Canadian, but he had a good reason. His parents were Korean. They immigrated when he was eight. He knew korean, but vaguely. Yesung refused to talk to his relatives in Korea, or was very reluctant to do so. He would only speak with them if he had to. It's not that he hated them, it's just that he had the speech pattern of a kid and couldn't express himself too well. He hated that more than anything, not being able to express how he felt, even if he didn't like the way he was treated...

 

He was different in more ways then most people imagined... It was probably what set him apart from the others. They instinctively felt he wasn't like them...

 

Today was like any other day. He was already in class mostly because he was hiding from bullies. He didn't have friends but he was nice and a good student so teachers liked him. Sometimes it felt like the teachers were his friends. His english teacher was the best though. He wasn't a straight A student. He had some difficulties, mostly because every day was hell for him. She was always encouraging him and helping him if he needed anything.

 

Lost in thought, Yesung was doodling in his notebook. A cute cat soon formed on the piece of paper and he started refining the outlines, making it more realistic. He was ok at drawing, but he was amazing at singing. He had a sweet deep husky voice. All his teachers praised him.

 

You'd think singing like an angel would make you more popular, you'd be wrong. People are terrible. Especial in high school. When they have a target they never ever let go, never...

 

The teacher finally walked in. She seemed a bit agitated. Being a caring person, Yesung asked his favourite teacher what was wrong. She didn't answer. She just smiled. “You'll see”, she'd said finally.

 

This was very weird, but then again, Laurel, it was her name, knew Yesung was the curious type. He was way too curious, almost like a cat...

 

The last bell resonated trough the deserted yard and throughout the old class rooms. Students took their places and waited silently for their teachers to take the attendances.

 

After calling out the names of every student, Laurel stood up. She was so enthusiastic. People were wondering what could make her so excited.

 

- Today is a special day. We have a transfer student..., she announced,... This is a first for me. He's a bit older, but since he's having trouble with english and french, he's been held back a year. I hope you'll give him the respect he deserves. Please welcome mister..., she put on her glasses,... mister Jungsoo Park. He's moved here from Korea last month, so be nice. I know you can.

 

Jungsoo Park... Korea... Yesung put his hands on his head as discreetly as possible. But when you take your head in you're arms and look like a complete idiot, it's tough to be discreet about it. Luckily, the new student made his way into the room so all the attention was directed to him and not Yesung. This diversion gave him just enough time to cope with the problem.

 

Yes a problem. A very unusual problem. Yesung's ears appeared. No, the exact term would be popped. Yesung's cat ears popped. This hadn't happened before no matter how curious or mad or in trouble he was. Perhaps, something or someone unusual was nearby...

 

He was able to hide the small black fur inside his hair before anyone noticed.

 

- Hi, I'm Jungsoo Park, but you can call me Leeteuk, it's shorter, said the new arrival, a bright and sincerer smile illuminating his kind face.

 

Yesung's jar almost dropped. In all his years he'd never seen a more beautiful man. He was strong. His biceps were firm. His pecs and abs were well defined. His shirt was white so it was easy to assess Leeteuk's muscular figure. His face was so gentle. His smile illuminated the room. His eyes had a soft and caring look in them...

 

Yesung was so mesmerized by the new student he didn't realize that his mouth was slightly opened nor that he was blushing like cray. He snapped out of it when he realized that Leeteuk needed to sit somewhere and the only place available was next to him. He nearly choked when the teacher said Leeteuk could sit next to him.

 

- Hi!, said Leeteuk with a bright smile, How are you?

 

- H... Hey! I'm... good?!, answered Yesung, stuttering like crazy.

 

- Ok class, interrupted miss Laurel, Today, we will work on the text I gave you about World War 2. I know it's a painful subject and that it's beautiful outside and it's last period on top of everything. So, I have decided to let you work in teams of two MAXIMUM! No Jimmy, not in teams of 25, ok?! It's not a class project. I don't have time to chose teams or let fate choose in my place, so you can work with whom ever you like. Any questions? Perfect. Start working everyone and keep the volume reasonable. If it's too loud, I'll brake up the teams and you will work alone. Is that clear?

 

- Yes ma'am.

 

- Good!

 

Yesung frowned. No one was going to help him. As unusual, he would have to do all the work himself. In this school, every class was the same. Only one or two people switched groups from time to time, but that was it. So you were stuck. All the teams were already formed in this class and no one would take him in.

 

So he took out his text, sighing. It was going to be a long hour. But the voice next to him pull him out of despair.

 

- Hmm... Do you mind working with me? I don't know anyone here. Of course if you already have a team, I'll... I'll ask someone else, said the sweet voice.

 

Yesung turned to face his interlocutor. He'd totally forgotten about the new guy. He lightly blushed. Leeteuk was so cute, pouting like he did.

 

- Yeah! Sure! I don't... I don't have a team... I don't have any friends... I'm Joongwoon Kim, but you can call me Yesung, he said. An overwhelming sadness taking hold of his voice.

 

 

- Nice to meet you Yesung. I think you already know what to call me!, he laughed, How come you don't have friends?! I mean you seem like such a nice guy. And you're very cute. Oh, what is that?!, he tilted his head staring at Yesung's.

 

“Nice guy... Very cute...”, Yesung was the colour of passion; red. But he rapidly turned into another primary colour when Leeteuk pointed out with extreme curiosity his fluffy ears; blue.

 

His ears popped twice in a matter of minutes. If there was a time he'd ever be glad not to have friends, it was now. Everyone was so busy talking about their lives out side of school, no one noticed them. “Shut!... What am I gonna tell him?! How can explain this...”

 

- Oh! How cute! You're waring those cat-ear hair pins!, the older boy said, pulling Yesung form his panic.

 

- Y... Yeah! You got me. Haha! Let's concentrate on the assignment, shall we?!, replied the young man, trying to change the subject.

 

The rest of the period went well. They didn't really talk about World War 2.

 

Yesung told Leeteuk he loved singing and Leeteuk told him he loved rapping and he occasionally danced. They got to know each other well. They really bonded.

 

On their way out, they went by some guys who were known to be mean verbally, but they were fearful because they also beat up people. One of the guys mumbled something and the hole gang followed the two friends, shouting names to Yesung, calling him a geek, insulting his nationality, his looks even.

 

The young man's eyes were filled with tears. He fought his pain as hard as he could. He couldn't cry in front of them. It would make things worst. He couldn't give them the satisfaction of braking down in front of them. Especially not in front of Leeteuk.

 

- Is it always like this?..., asked Leeteuk, horrified by the brutality of these people.

 

- Yes..., whispered Yesung, shaking, his vision blurred from the water invading his eyes.

 

They got to the bus station. There was no one except them. People were still at work and everyone in school took the yellow buses. Yesung didn't take the school bus anymore. Public transportation was the only place he would have peace all day.

 

They sat down on the bench. Yesung dried his eyes. He tried to smile, assuring his friend that he was ok, but Leeteuk didn't buy it.

 

- No Ye you're not ok!, said the elder, tears flowing from his chocolaty eyes. They have no right to do this to you.

 

Yesung didn't even have time to replay that Leeteuk took him in his arms. He held him tightly against his chest. Startled at first, but then relieved, the young man couldn't take it anymore and let his sadness out. He cried like this on Teuki's shoulders for a few minutes. He felt incredibly safe and at peace in his arms. If it weren't for the bus, Yesung would have stayed there forever.

 

They broke the embrace. The bus was turning the corner.

 

- Y... You're taking the bus too?!, he asked regaining control over his emotions, drying his tears.

 

- Yes... I live on seventeenth street... What about you?, asked the elder.

 

- I'm on the nineteenth!, replied Yesung, happy to hear that.

 

- That's great!! We're practically neighbours!!, said Leeteuk with great enthusiasm.

 

They got on the bus.

 

The ride takes about forty minutes. Plenty of time to get to know each other better. But they both left a few details out about themselves...