8. Not a Cherub

Seraphim

Haneul felt a lot of pressure from seeing two holy beings watching her play the guitar. It didn’t matter what they thought, or so she believed. She strummed the chords as well as stopping to pick a few. When it came to a close she sat there none of her guests clapped; they seemed amazed.

“Well,” she started. “What did you think?”

“What is the purpose of that music?”

She stared at them. “The purpose?”

“Was it to glorify God or not?”

“Do you think that someone who doesn’t really believe in God would actually play something for him?!”

They didn’t respond, Minho and Taemin exchanged glances. Haneul found their silence was starting to irritate her. “Why? Forget about God for a moment!”

“We can’t,” Minho calmly answered. “That’s why we’re here. He sent us.”

Haneul wanted to throw her guitar at them but she valued the instrument too much.

“You do that a lot,” Taemin noted. “Your gaze darkens when we talk about God.”

She had been caught. Heaving a sigh Haneul put her guitar on the bed, “Well, it annoys me.”

Why don’t you believe? You seem to have a lovely family, no tragedy or reason to feel he is the cause of some injustice?”

“It’s nothing like that, I just can’t believe in something that isn’t really there. Something I cannot see, hear or touch.” She clasped her hands in her lap tightly. Taemin stood up and walked over to the bed.

He sat down near her. “You can see and hear us, do you believe we exist?”

“You already know the answer to that,” Minho said to him.  “We should go back to guard duty.”

“That’s something I don’t understand—Hey don’t go to the window!” Minho had opened it with Taemin close by. “Someone may see you,” she added.

“So we can stay in here?”

“Yes until I have to change or whatever,” they nodded and moved back to where they sat. Haneul just had to accept that she would be babysat until their mission was over.

****

Haneul struggled to explain to her bodyguards that she would have to be alone when she had to leave for lunch. They were very insistent on watching her from across the room despite her protests.

“Are you alright dear? You’ve been glancing at the side a lot since we sat.” Haneul had to try and cover it up. The angels managed to disappear.

“I thought I saw something… An insect,” she shook her head. “I think I’ve been practicing too hard.”

“You can have a break after dinner if you would like,” her father suggested. “Even Mozart would have taken rests.”

“Yes but he composes the wrong type of music.” Haneul muttered serving herself more rice. Her parents shot her looks of confusion but she disregarded them. Hanjung decided to have a dig at her sister.

“I think unnie’s going crazy.”

“Hey Hanjung what are you--?”

“—I heard her talking to herself in her room earlier.” Haneul clenched her spoon tighter.  “The door was locked but she was having a conversation about God.”

“But apparently all really creative people talk to themselves.”

“And what evidence is there to suggest that?”

Haneul frowned, “I read about it online.” But then she realised it was futile and went back to eating.

“Haneul honey we let you work on your music because you are great at it. However don’t feel obligated to overwork yourself.” She nodded. “Please don’t talk to yourself anymore.”

“Ok, I won’t.” Now she had to plan her revenge against Hanjung. If any of the angels were willing to help with this then she would have appreciated it.

****

After her last block of practice and dinner Haneul was able to relax for the rest of the night. Minho and Taemin followed back into her room, watching as she got some clothes from the drawers.

“Where are you going now?” Taemin asked.

“The bathroom and no you cannot follow.”

“We are obligated to watch you at all times—“

“—Minho I said no!” He stopped, his mouth turning down at the sides. “I don’t want either of you watching me as I shower.”

“I don’t like this; you could be attacked at any time.” Taemin suddenly went to the window. Minho joined him. “What is wrong?”

“The Lord has something he wishes for me to do. He said I will be back before the sun rises tomorrow.” Minho nodded and Taemin leaned out. Haneul ran over, clutching the window frame as she peered down.

“He’s fine,” Minho assured her. “Don’t forget that angels can fly.” She then grabbed her clothes and left in a hurry. However before she could open the door to the bathroom he was already in front.

Haneul stared him down, “I meant what I said.”

“I mean it too.”

They just glanced at each other. Haneul slowly reached for the door knob. Minho watched in silence. He blinked, appeared to be thinking something. “Ok Lord, I will.” Haneul didn’t know what to say when he stepped aside. “The Lord says that I am to wait outside. He doesn’t want us to be in disagreement.”

“Then he should tell me that himself,” Haneul snapped. She went in and slammed the door, clicking the lock. Inside she let out a sigh before placing her clothes down and turning on the water.

There was peace as she let the shower droplets cascade down her body, into her hair making it long. Leaning against the tiles Haneul enjoyed not being watched or under surveillance for as long as she was allowed to.

She opened her eyes. A face appeared opposite hers on the glass. It screamed, mouth wide, and black irises wide and eyes protruding. Haneul screamed. A hand broke through the glass, reaching for her neck.

“Are you helping God?!” It shrieked in a deep voice. Haneul felt the air being drained from her airpipes as it clenched tight.

The frame of the window started to shake as it opened a blast of light entering. It went to the shower before taking a form. A bright arm snatched the demon’s hand off Haneul. She sank to her knees as the face of her saviour was somewhat seen. Minho looked fierce--maybe he was Michael now. Haneul watched as Michael dragged a humanoid creature, black as night, screeching to the window.

“God will not let his appointed be destroyed!” his voice boomed before taking off. Haneul turned the shower off. She found her towel, wrapping herself around it.

She stood shivering while looking at the open window. Eventually it closed seemingly by itself until Minho’s form gradually appeared from head to toe. He turned around to her, his eyes now brown and not blue.

“Haneul, are you ok?”

Still holding her towel and dripping she spoke. “Y-yes, thank you.” That was then she looked down at herself. “Hey you can’t be in here! Get out now!”

“I need to be in here, you could have been hurt!” Minho did not seem bothered by her not wearing anything but a towel.

“Well…” Haneul heaved a sigh. “Can you at least not look at me while I’m changing?”

He nodded, “Very well.” He turned around not looking back. Haneul paused, watching him but he didn’t move. He wasn’t even peering in the mirror. Finally she allowed herself to quickly dry and get changed into her sleeping clothes.

“I’m done,” she said at last, dressed in a loose t-shirt and a pair of short shorts. Minho followed her out, not speaking as he went. Haneul hoped that this moment wouldn’t make them awkward.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 
I updated after a while >_<