11. Lights, Camera, Angel!

Seraphim

“Hi Taemin,” Haneul waved the boy over to sit with them on the steps for lunch.

“Hello everyone,” Taemin bowed; his tray almost spilling over if Minho hadn’t quickly reached out and steadied it.

Kibum poked Haneul in side. She looked at him this time. “So Haneul you will help me this afternoon won’t you?”

She rolled her eyes at him while Nana who was on her other side just giggled. “Alright, since you haven’t stopped bugging me since last week when you found yourself model-less.”

Kibum gave her thumbs up. “As expected Haneul you’re the best.”

Minho leaned away from Taemin’s head after he’d heard something through a whisper. It made him say, “Ah so he’s here?”

Haneul looked at the duo. “Who’s here?”

“We’ll tell you later,” Minho assured her. He accidentally caught Nana’s gaze but she looked away. The incident from a few days ago was still fresh on her mind. Haneul noticed but couldn’t exactly ignore her friend who was talking as fast as a machine gun.

“So come to the home economics rooms around three.”

“Yes, yes fine.” She couldn’t wait for the day to be over with.

***

“So what was that at lunch time?” Haneul asked them as they went to gather their bags. The bell had just rung, signalling the end of school for the day, the end of one course of learning and onto another for those who had night classes.

“Raphael is here, we’ve been told to find him.”

“Wait who?” Haneul stopped in mid walk. “Who is Raphael?” Seeing their faces she then knew. “Ah another angel of course how could I be so stupid?”

“Why do you do that?”

She had no idea what Minho was referring to. Even Taemin found it a little peculiar. “Why do you talk like that? It’s weird.”

She put her hands on her hips, “Do any of you use sarcasm at all?”

“Is that what it is?” Minho slung his bag over his shoulder. “We aren’t too familiar with it. I will ask you more about it later if that’s alright with you.”

“Ah you have soccer practice hyung right?”

Minho patted Taemin on the head, “Indeed.” He smirked as he walked off, “Have fun.”

“Bye,” Taemin waved to him. Haneul watched his back go further away from them. She glanced at the clock, “Crap guess we’d better hurry. Madame Kibum will be waiting.”

Taemin started to laugh. “Did you find that funny?”

Taemin nodded. “It’s because he’s a Master right? So you called him the female alternative am I right?”

“Yeah, now make sure you stay careful and out of the way. With your height and face you would make a good model for any desperate student.”

“Ok Noona,” he said as they came down the stairs. Going through a corridor at the end he pushed a door open for her. Inside the room was an ironing board sat on the side with a buttoned-up shirt draped on one end. Where the blackboard would be was a white cloth pegged over it. A girl in a black, gothic dress posed on a chair, holding her pitch fork to her neck in a seductive manner.

They heard someone tutting. “You’re two minutes late.” Kibum came over to them with his hands on his hips. He was in his fashionista mood, coloured buds poking out from the pin cushion attached to his tie.  The sleeves on his shirt were rolled up and he was wearing flashy rings.

“Taemin-ah, good to see you came along. Do you want to model for Seungmi? Her model decided that playing soccer was more important than helping his cousin.”

Haneul put an arm in front of Taemin. “Back off Kibum, he’s just going to hang around for a bit that’s all. He is not to model.” Unsatisfied he rolled his eyes before heading to a desk where a pile of white fabrics were folded neatly.

“Ok go and get dressed, after that you need to get your makeup done.” He pointed to the students in the corner who were applying cheek powder to one model and teasing the hair of another. “I already told them what I wanted done on you.”

Haneul leaned to her left and said in a low voice to Taemin. “Ah this troublesome Madam.”

“What did you say?!”

“I’m going, ok bye,” Haneul high-tailed it out of there before Kibum could start a banter while Taemin smiled happily.  Minutes later she appeared in the white dress. It was very different compared to the jeans or t-shirts she normally wore.

“Where did you get this?” She came over to Kibum and Taemin, “Grandmother’s wardrobe?”

“Ha, ha,” Kibum glared at her. “You should just become a comedian.” Snatching her hand he dropped something into the palm. “Put them on.” She slipped on the silver bracelets and then the large flower shaped ring.

“Ah, really now,” he scoffed taking the ring off and pushing it on her index finger. “There, that’s better. Go do your makeup and hair; we get to use the backdrop soon.”

Taemin turned to Kibum. “What should I do hyung?”

“You can hold the light.” Kibum said fiddling with his camera. Taemin wanted to ask which one he meant until he saw it; a rather large flood lamp standing to the side near the photo shooting area.

What felt like an hour when it was only twenty minutes Haneul was able to get up from the chair. The make-up was plastered so thick she felt like she’d grown another face. Pink and white coated her eyelids as well as the liquid eyeliner which made her eyes pop out. Her hair had been given a few very loose curls; a white flower hair piece was clipped in the top.

Kibum clapped his hands in glee upon seeing her. “Omo you really look like an angel.” Haneul raised her eyebrows in confusion.  “Oh right I almost forgot. Go sit down, Taemin wait with her. I left the wings in my bag.”

“Great,” Haneul said with little to no enthusiasm. She sat down and Taemin stood next to her, intrigued by everything, “this is really interesting.”

“You are strange Taemin,” Haneul commented but shook her head in good humour.

Kibum’s voice was heard as he was coming back. “Yah what are you doing here?”

Haneul froze as the other person spoke. “I tutor the principal’s son this time every week.” Seeing her tense Taemin asked what was wrong and she mouthed a name to him.

The two entered. Some of the students surprised by the blonde haired one in particular, dressed in sneakers, a red band t-shirt, dark jeans and white high top sneakers. He was carrying an oblong shaped guitar case with him.

Kibum waved the wings at her. “Haneul we’re good to go.” Jonghyun turned his head to Haneul. She sat upright, becoming rigid by his eyes on her. He blinked as if a torch had been shown in his face.

Haneul stood up to attach the wings on. They were secured onto her back with a clasp keeping them from slipping down. Jonghyun stood there, his mind in another place compared to his body.

Putting down the guitar case Jonghyun stayed beside Kibum. “How are you Haneul?”

Not looking at him for embarrassment’s sake she nodded, “Fine, what about you oppa?”

“Yeah alright thanks.” He replied only just smiling. Without notice Kibum clasped Haneul’s chin, eyeing her close up. She had to resist the urge to slap his hand away.

“Good, now everyone away from her.” He shooed Taemin and Jonghyun to the side, “Taemin-ah the light now.”

The boy almost dropped it but managed to stay still though his legs were shaking from the weight.

Kibum stood next to Jonghyun, pressing the flash on. “Ok now get ready.” He instructed Haneul, sighing when she mucked it up or giving a smirk when she did it right. Usually Jonghyun would talk to Kibum because they were close but he didn’t say a lot. Most of his attention went to what was in front of him.

And what was in front of him was beginning to feel awkward about it. Fortunately for her Taemin couldn’t hold the light on his own for long so Jonghyun came and helped. Having his attention diverted put her at some ease.

“We’re done,” Kibum put his camera down. Haneul stood up, reaching behind to grab the wings that heavier than expected

“Ah careful, careful,” he exclaimed. She dropped her hands. “I’ll help you in a minute, ah Seungmi did you find someone?” Distracted for the moment he hurried to talk with the other student. All of a sudden Taemin looked up and then went out the door.

Haneul watched him. “Taemin w-where are you--?” She stopped the weight of her accessory making it hard to walk. Like before tried to find where it would come off, her hands found the clasp but couldn’t manage to undo it.

“Here,” Jonghyun was behind her. She removed her hands accidentally brushing it against his. He asked if she could move her hair. Nodding she grabbed it and lifted it to hang over a shoulder.  He managed to undo it and lift them off.

She moved her shoulders in circular motions, feeling relieved that she wasn’t carrying them anymore. “Thank you,” she said as he handed them over.

“No problem, anytime.” Haneul quickly said bye before going to find Taemin. 

“Yah, where are you going now,” Kibum called after her. Ignoring him she kept searching for her younger friend. He must have seen Minho or heard from him. Otherwise there was no way he would have left so suddenly.


******************************************************************

Hehe hope we enjoyed this and please comment people.