Chapter 12: Haunted House

HottieSitting

Chapter 12: Haunted House [Part three of the Amusement Arc]

 
After a somewhat distressed Onew had been rescued from the candy floss cart and both the cart owner and Onew had been soothed thanks to Key's smiles and soft words the gang was off again. Jonghyun feeling bad, well as bad as he could when he stopped his worst nightmare from happening (and no not the dream when he got topped by Key in the toilets as that was not a nightmare as he enjoyed it), decided to allow Onew to have the choice of what they were to go next. This thoughtfulness (Key didn't realise it was from guilt) earnt him a small smile and praise from Key.
 
Such had left a satisfied smirk on Jonghyun's face especially at Minho's annoyed and jealous filled expression. Onew was happy with the way things had turned out and he babbled for a bit no one overly sure of what he was saying but all assuming he would find something chicken related as he looked at the map of the amusement park.
 
After all he was Onew. But for once Onew had surprised them all by ignoring the places which could sell chicken and pointing to the Haunted House. Key ended up giving an awkward laugh as Onew picked it out instantly gaining curious looks. Key was acting odd at the suggestion and he was looking rather pale and shuffling. Was he perhaps... afraid? 
 
Was the almighty Key afraid of a little haunted house? It was unthinkable after all Key had not appeared afraid of anything. Not creepy crime thrillers, not spiders, not dead rodent which freaked Jonghyun out, not even frantic chicken deprived Onew. Apparently nothing, he had balls of steel (a term which meant he was brave nothing erted though some people may wish it was).
 
But... Jonghyun and Minho was filled with a brilliant idea at the thought Key could be afraid.  "I'll protect you!" They shouted out in unison before glaring at the other for 'stealing' the idea, whilst Onew and Taemin deadpanned at them both, they had many words to describe them. Imbeciles was one, idiots was another. Key just looked at them and smiled gratefully.
 
"Thank you then, I feel better... lets go Onew~ah... neh?" Key said taking both of the idiots' hands in his own, Minho and Jonghyun practically melt in happiness at the fact they were holding Key's hand. It was now a competition, the one who made Key feel the safest was the winner and both really wanted the prize which could be at stake. Key's heart. After all being Key's knight in shining armour would gain love from the other.
 
But they did not account of one major thing. They themselves being scared. Which they were. Upon entering the haunted house they were quick to find that it had a sense of eeriness, the lights were dimmed and there was an empty corridor.
 
The ground was decorated with checkered tiles as if they were to take place in a game of chess and they were the board pieces. Flickering torch lights, electronic rather than actual flame of course as fire was a hazard, merely fuelled the eeriness. But that wasn't all, there was more. The ground appeared to slope or perhaps it was the ceiling which was sloping. Either way as they travelled along the corridor it gave the appearance of it becoming smaller and smaller. Quite terrifying if you were claustrophobic as it was like the walls were closing in on you, shrinking in an attempt to squeeze them, wishing to bring them harm.
 
Key was already shown to be shivering and both the dino and frog felt less confident in protecting Key seeing as they themselves felt scared. Terrified even. Entering the small door at the end of the corridor the door making them have to bend over to get through (something Jonghyun and Minho would appreciate in the view of Key's if it wasn't for their fright) to be sent into darkness. Nerve racking. Jonghyun and Minho were soon  clinging to one another in the dark.
 
Even Onew had to admit it wasn't as lame as he had expected. When he had in past times entered haunted houses he normally laughed over the poor gimmicks they had to scare them with his best friend Lee Joon and on some occasions Taemin. So far this one as impressing him, there was no flashing lights or 'scary' hanging ghouls. Clear fakes. Key on the other hand did not seem impressed. Rather he seemed frightened. Somehow or another he ended up curled into Onew's warm arms as if they were an escape for him, a shield.
 
Minho and Jonghyun's offers forgotten as they were as scared as he was and that was just the beginning of the Haunted House. It only got worst. It was dark aside from flickering lights and paintings of horror-esque images done in such paint it glowed in the dark softly, the only lights were purple UV lights which made white clothing glow. It was like this for a while with twisting corners and haunting music which was like howling wind. It was like a twisted labyrinth. 
 
Jonghyun let out a shriek. Why? The reason was because he nearly walked into a mirror but as you approached closer you could see it was able to be seen through and a skeleton was seen giving Jonghyun a fright. The two 'brave' men, Minho and Jonghyun were scared and clinging to one another like scared children. Trembling, frightened children who murmured nonsense.
 
Onew chuckled lightly at Key's utter adorableness (to him anyway) and held him close in his arms, Key's face buried into his own chest. Key listened to Onew's heartbeat it was soothing and slowly helping him to calm down to be feel safer. Throughout the entire Haunted House the scene was Jonghyun and Minho squealing girlishly clinging to one another like their lives depended on it. Key's face buried in Onew's chest lulled by the gentle sound. Taemin just watched in interest and amusement.
 
When they left the haunted house Jonghyun and Minho hurriedly separated from one another embarrassed with red cheeks before looking around for Key. Glaring in jealousy as they spotted him buried in Onew's arms, they'll separate him from them later.