Chapter 22

Hot and Cold

 

Yoseob & Gayoon - Things I want to do if I have a lover
 

Yuri just woke up from her sleep. It’s a good thing there’s no class this day. She has many things in mind and it’s making her confused.

“Arrgh…headache again.” She whined as she sits up on her bed.

Then she suddenly remembered something from last night.


[-Flashback-]

-“Yuri ah, Hara agreed to have a friendly date with me tomorrow.” Minho said over the phone.

She didn’t expect that Minho would progress that fast towards Hara but its good news for her because no one would stand on her way anymore towards Taegoon.

“Oh…really? That’s…great.”

-“Right. All thanks to you. I’ll definitely treat you on something if it turns out good.” Minho said happily.

“Haha. Well… I’m looking forward to it, Minho. Uhm, I got to sleep now, alright?”

“Okay then. Good night. Have a good sleep and wish me luck for tomorrow.”

After that they both hang up.

[-End of Flashback-]


She took a deep sigh and went to the bathroom.

“This should be less difficult this time. Yuri, you’re almost there.”

Yuri took a bath and changed clothes. She plans on shopping today to have fun.


--------------------------------------------------


[-Hara’s pov-]

I didn’t expect that Minho and I would really become friends after what happened. Well, it’s just a friendly date, right? There’s nothing else going on beyond that.

“Hey.” Minho said and came towards me. I just smiled in return.

We’re eating lunch together in a restaurant. It’s been a long time since I’ve eaten with him. Our food is served and we started to eat.

“Where do you want to go after this?” He suddenly asked.

I looked at him then at my food again. “Anywhere can do. Hmmm, I just have to find some accessories.”

“Ah, alright. So you still like collecting accessories huh?”

I just nod. I guess he still remembers those things about me.

“So…how are you doing with Yuri? I’ve noticed you seem pretty close.” I asked him. Well, that’s based on what I observed.

“She’s a nice girl, actually. She’s just so…”

I wonder why he was cut off. He was staring somewhere outside the restaurant. I looked at where he was staring and saw Yuri in a stall of fresh flowers. She was carrying some paper bags with her.
 

[-End of Hara’s pov-]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuri came walking somewhere in the mall and found a stall of flowers sold. She got attracted and became curious so she went to have a look.

Then, there were pink lilies that attracted her most.

“Hmm, it won’t be bad if I buy these. It’ll be beautiful on the center table.” She said excitedly while taking five lilies and paid it. The saleslady wrapped it up before she left with it.

With that, she walked again and saw large teddy bears on display. She stopped and searched for a cute one. A white big bear attracts her the most.

Unknowingly, a familiar image came out of the shop.

“Yuri?”

She looked up and was startled a bit. “Taegoon-sshi? What are you doing here?”

“Nothing much. Just looking around.” He noticed the lilies that she just bought. “Those lilies are beautiful.”

She looked at it then back at him.

“Ah, yeah. I can’t stop myself from buying them.”

“Uhm, I gotta go. See you at school then.” He bid goodbye to her and started to walk away from her but was halted.

“Yeah. Bye.” Yuri responded but was shocked by the people approaching.

It was Minho together with Hara. They were just walking typically towards their direction.

“Yo.” Minho greeted Taegoon and he just responded with a nod.

There was tension in the atmosphere as the four met.

Taegoon is avoiding eye contact with Hara while she feels nervous on what she should do. Ever since he confessed to her, she wants to say yes but she blames herself on becoming a coward just because of the deal she made with Ayumi and Yuri.

Minho felt proud that Hara is with her at that time especially at this moment that Taegoon is there to witness it. He just wonders on why Yuri and Taegoon are together.

Yuri didn’t expect to meet Taegoon while looking outside the shop a while ago. Plus, Minho and Hara are in the mall too. She noticed that Minho is looking oddly at her.

Taegoon couldn’t take the view in front of him so he walked past Minho and Hara. He just pretended not to see anything related to her that day. It just gives him headache and irritation.

Hara felt hesitant at first but gathered all her strength and finally have the confidence.

“Minho, I’m sorry. I got something important to do.” She said and immediately left the area running towards the direction where Taegoon went.

Minho was about to stop her from leaving but felt something different from her this time. The determination in her eyes made him not to do it. He just smiled to himself and looked at Yuri.

“Let me help you with that.” He said while walking towards her and took some of the paper bags she is holding.

“What?” he asked as she was staring at him while they were walking.

“Why didn’t you stop her?” she finally asked.

He smiled at her and looked in front again.

“I just realized something… that she’s not gonna be happy with me like before. I think Hara likes Taegoon, we should just let them be together if that’s the case.”

“Did I hear it right? Just let them be?” she asked with a serious tone.

“Yeah. You heard it right. Besides, I have other plans.” He blurted out.

“Like what?” Yuri asked with irritation while crossing her arms.

“Hmmmm….like pursuing you starting this day.”

“Oh, okay.” She responded calmly but realized what he just said. “Pursuing what?! Don’t you dare make a joke Minho!” she yelled and walked fast. He catches up with her with a smirk on his face.

“I’m not joking Yuri.” He said and grabs her arm as the both of them stopped walking. He looks at her with a serious face. “I like you… a lot.”

“No!” she half yelled and let go of Minho’s grip. “You’re not. Stop fooling around. I’m not happy anymore.”

“Hmph. You’re so oh serious in terms of those things.” He pouted and took a deep breath. “Things that you think are true aren’t like what you seem them to be.”

“Huh? Stop being a weirdo. You’re beginning to scare the crap out of me.” She blurted out beginning to feel irritated about Minho.

“Uhm, well I gotta go. Bye.” he called the taxi that is approaching towards their direction and let Yuri ride before he left.

“What’s gotten into that guy?” she thought with a confused look.


-------------------------------


“Stop following me.” Taegoon said and stopped walking. He realized Hara was following him behind.

“I’m sorry but I need to talk to you like… right now.”

He turned to face her and saw her face but still avoiding eye contact with her.

“About what?”

She took a deep breath because she really felt nervous at that time. He was looking at her this time that made her more anxious.

“I understand that you hate me right now. But I also don’t want to regret anything. I do like you, okay? There. I said it.”

He was just looking at her blankly. Suddenly, he grabs her hand and drags her to the parking lot.

“Aish! Why are you so annoying?” he uttered under his breath.

“Ya! Where are we going?”

He stopped in front of his car and faced her once again.

“It’s been hard Hara. And now I see you dating with Minho? Didn’t you know how pissed I felt a while ago?” he said but it was like he was yelling at her.

“But I bear with it because of you.” He added.

Hara felt like crying. Tears were beginning to form in his eyes. “I’m sorry. I didn’t intend it to be that way. I became a coward when you said you liked me. I’m sorry if I have been giving you a hard time. I—“

Hara felt Taegoon’s lips on hers as he held her close to him. At that time, she was surprised but felt happy and just closed her eyes. He parted his lips from her and hugged her tight.

“Promise that you won’t let go of me.” He said near her ear while hugging her.

A smile curved up on her face that she didn’t mind anything aside from the fact that he is there and they’re together at this very moment. “I promise.”


----------------------------------------------


School resumes again. Yeonhee came in almost late because she woke up late.

“Ugh! Don’t snooze your alarm Yeonhee or you won’t have an award for perfect attendance during gradutation. (>.< )” She said to herself upon sitting on her armchair in the classroom.

She noticed that the armchair beside her was empty. “Where’s that guy?”

She thought that maybe he was just late that day but the final bell rang and still no sign of Jaejoong which means he’s absent.

Her last conversation with him was at the music room after asking him to be his partner during prom but unfortunately he already has one.

“Damn that Jaejoong.” She sighed and rests her head on her right hand.

Then, the day goes on with all the lessons and assignments given by their teachers.

Hara went to Yeonhee after class. “Yeonhee ah~~!” she called while hugging her.

“H-hey. What’s with the happy aura?” Yeonhee wondered.

“Can we have the sleepover tonight?” Hara said excitingly.

“Tonight? I haven’t even prepared Hara. Can we have it next weekend instead?”

“No! That’s too long. Come to my house at around 7 pm, okay? See ya.” That was all she said then went off running towards the door.

“Hara wait!” but she was too late for that. “What’s with her today? She’s so hyper.”

Yeonhee went out of the classroom after gathering her things. She noticed that things have become quiet and it’s making her suspicious but she doesn’t know why she felt that way. (0.0)

………

It’s exactly 7 pm when Yeonhee arrived on Hara’s place. She brought with her clothes for tomorrow when she go home, her hamtaro pillows and some stuff that she can’t go out with.

“You’re just on time! Come on!” Hara greeted her as they both went to her room.

Yeonhee puts her bag on a chair as they sat on the pink mat placed on the floor.

“Hey, I’m really intrigued to death of your attitude since this morning.” She told her honestly and looks at her oddly.

“Yeah, I know. Don’t worry, your friend is still on her sane mind.” Hara said as she held Yeonhee’s hands and took a deep breath. “Yeonhee ah, I said yes to Taegoon yesterday.” Then she told her the full details.

Yeonhee’s eyes widen. “Are you serious about that?” she added.

“Yes. Please don’t hate me. I can’t just hold on my feelings anymore. But I’ll understand if you are. You’ll think that I’m selfish.” Hara showed a sad face.

“No! Really, I’m not mad. It’s just that we’re in trouble that’s what I’m worried about. But hey! I envy you. I don’t have that kind of attitude like yours.” Yeonhee replied.

“Heyyy, don’t be like that. I’m thankful that you don’t hate me but don’t look down on yourself.” Hara held Yeonhee’s shoulders.

“You know, I got no chance with that kiss thief Jaejoong or whatsoever will I call him. I can’t really understand him. He’ll keep on teasing me now then later he’ll become very passive. I shouldn’t take him seriously. I mean maybe she’s just playing with me like she usually does to other girls.”

“Hmmm…” Hara thought for a while. “I’m sorry. You are always giving me advice but I’m not good at it.”

“That’s alright. Maybe I’ll figure out something or I’ll just set it aside.”

Hara felt guilty for not doing something to help Yeonhee. Ever since they became best friends, Yeonhee has always been her adviser so now she wants to return the favor to her and she thought of an idea.

With that idea on her mind, she stood up and gets her phone. She called Taegoon and waits for him to pick up.

“Who are you calling?” Yeonhee asked curiously. She didn’t answer her question as the person on the other line picked up.

-“Yeobseoyo.” He answered with a tired tone.

“Taegoon ah, it’s me, Hara. Uhm, am I disturbing you?”

Yeonhee became alarmed on the person Hara is talking to. Even though it wasn’t Jaejoong, there might be a possibility that Hara will ask something about Jaejoong or even crazier aside from that. Well, she can’t think normally right now.

-“Ah, no. Not at all. I just wake up because I slept when I arrived from practice few hours ago. Why’d you call?”

“I just wanna ask something about Jaejoong, if it’s alright?”

Yeonhee wanted to get the phone from Hara but she failed to do it. Hara is preventing her.

-“Oh okay. What about him?”

“You see, a friend of mine is curious on his whereabouts. What’s the reason for his absence this day?”

-“Oh.” She can hear him chuckle on the other line. “Well, tell your friend that I honestly don’t know why. He did told me that he’s gonna be absent for a week starting today but he doesn’t want to tell me the reason behind it.”

Hara pouted as she looks at Yeonhee. “Really? A week is too long. Is he gonna attend prom Tae?”

-“I’m not sure. He doesn’t even talk about it around me when we hang out.”

“Okay. I understand. I’m sorry for suddenly calling you and asking for random questions.”

-“It’s alright. As long as your friend won’t be worried anymore.”

“Well, yeah. Hehehe. Bye Taegoon ah. Take care ~”

-“Bye. Take care too.”

He isn’t that expressive and all like other guys but she can sense it through his simple words and gestures that he’s sincere. A smile curved up on his face after they both hang up.

“Ya! You don’t have to do that!” Yeonhee complained.

“There won’t be any progress if we’ll just sit here. Taegoon is the person closest to Jaejoong, right? That’s why I called him. Or do you rather prefer calling Jaejoong directly?” Hara said teasingly.

Yeonhee shakes her head immediately. “Waaah! Enough! I even stutter when I talk to him face-to-face what more on the phone. Hmph!” she pouted.

Yeonhee stares on the mat and plays with her fingers. “Uhm, what did he say?”

Hara looks at her amused and faced her. “Unfortunately, Taegoon doesn’t know the reason for his absence. But Jaejoong told him that he’ll be absent for a week starting today. And he isn’t sure if Jaejoong’s gonna attend prom.”

“Really…” Yeonhee said saddened by what she just heard. “What’s he up to now? I hate him!” she complained and bit her lower lip.

“You do miss him a lot, neh?” Hara blurted out based on what she has observed from Yeonhee.

“Nah. It’s just so pathetic to like him. Maybe Ayumi is right. Jaejoong will never like a trash like me.”

“Yah! Don’t believe that girl! I’ve come to my senses that we shouldn’t be afraid to do things if we think that those are right. Just tell me if she bugs you.”

Hara is desperate this time. She doesn’t want Yeonhee and herself to be afraid by the threats anymore. She will do anything to protect Yeonhee.

Yeonhee can sense that Hara was desperate about it. So she agreed and promises herself to boost her self-esteem and be like Hara.


------------------------------------------------


Sohee was putting some facial cream when her phone rang. She gets her phone and answered immediately.

“Sohee speaking.”

-“Sohee. It’s Jaejoong.”

Sohee became alarmed as her eyes widen. “Oppa? Where were you?”

-“I called to tell you that I’m gonna be absent for a few days.”

“Huh? Why? Are you sick oppa?”

-“No. Oppa’s doing well. I’m doing something important.”

She was relieved to know that he isn’t sick.

“Uhm, what about prom? Aren’t you gonna attend?” she asked worriedly.

-“I’ll try but I can’t assure you. I’m doing something very important and I need a week for it.”

“Oh okay. Eat well oppa. Please take care of yourself.”

-“Yeah. I will. Thanks Sohee.”

After that, they both hang up as Sohee shows a sad face.

“What am I suppose to feel neh~?” she asked herself while looking in front of the mirror.


--------------------------------------------------


Yoochun can’t seem to sleep that night. Few days have passed since he said those words to her and he really regrets on doing so. He thinks she hates her now that’s why he keeps on avoiding her. Now, he just stares at her from afar.

He took a deep breath while lying on his bed and just looking at the ceiling for about an hour now.

“I need to do something. You need to finish what you’ve started Park Yoochun. Boa I don’t want to lose you.”

With those words that he uttered, he finally decided to sleep. But his phone suddenly rang and he wondered who it was.

“Boa?” he read the name of the caller. He answered it hesitantly. “Hello.”

-“Hey you! Aren’t you…Park …Yoochun..?” she said with stuttering words.

“Are you drunk? Where are you?” he asked worriedly.

-“No! I’m not! In a bar…as usual…”

She’s drunk and he can sense it.

“Don’t drink anymore, okay? I’ll go there now.”

After that he immediately ended the call and rushed to change his clothes. He drove his car off with a high speed to the bar where Boa is.

“Gosh. What has gotten into her mind?”

He parked his car immediately when he arrived in front of the bar and went inside. There were many people dancing, the music was really loud, and then he saw a girl near the counter drinking by herself.

She hiccupped as she drinks another glass of vodka.

“Hey.” He taps her shoulder as she looks at him with tired eyes.

Boa stood up and stared at him closely. She smiled upon recognizing who it was. “Yoochun ah~~” she called, well, more of a whine to him. She almost lost balance but Yoochun caught her arms and helped her stand up.

“I’ll take you home.” He said calmly. Boa looked at him oddly and dusted his hands off her.

“No! I’m not going anywhere! I’m not satisfied yet~~” she said and went back to sit near the counter.

Yoochun was expecting her to be uncontrollable in situations like this so he has no choice.

“Ya~! Put me down!” She struggled as he carried her bridal style and leaving the place. It was too noisy that they weren’t noticed by others in the bar. He puts her down inside his car and ride in the car too.

“Why are you doing this?” he asked her even though he knew that he wasn’t on her sane mind that time.

She just looked at him oddly with tired eyes. She leaned closer to him and pointed her index finger at him.

“You… Don’t… ask me that…cause…I’m the one… who should… ask you that…”

He grabs her hands which she used in pointing at him. “I was just being honest with you at that time. Why do you have to call me a while ago anyways?”

Boa let go of Yoochun’s grip on his hands before saying something.

“Because every time I scan…the contacts on my phone…I can’t proceed to the next name…when your name is highlighted…” she looks away from him and leans on the back of her seat. “My senses were telling me…to call you…and I don’t know why…I just did it…I’m sorry…”

“Then you’re in love with me, perhaps?” Yoochun suddenly blurted out as he looks at her. It’s the only thing his mind concluded.

Boa looks at him hesitantly. She was about to speak again when her phone rang. It’s her mom and she already knows why.

“It’s mom. I got to go home now.” She said and immediately went out of Yoochun’s car. A taxi passed by and she immediately ride in it.

Yoochun was having a headache. He thought things will be fixed right now but he’s wrong to assume that. It even became more awkward.

“Now what?” he complained and just drove back home.