Chapter 1

How to fall in love

The documents lay on my desk in the small office I'd been given. It was still unused and I felt like an intruder for disturbing the peace that inhabited the small room. It seemed like it had been a long time since somebody had worked here. It felt like it.

 

I took a deep breath and then opened the documents. Let's go to work, Shinae.

 

It was three hours later that I finally finished reading the papers. And I had made a decision. I had spent the whole morning reading through dates and facts and descriptions of the five. I now felt like I knew them. I hadn't even met them.

 

I had chosen the one I thought needed this the most. I hadn't any favorite. I didn't have the time to invest into music like that, but I still liked them well enough.

 

I looked at the photo of him that had been provided with the documents. It was recent, well, more recent than those I'd had off the internet. His hair was black, though it did seem a little brownish at times. His eyes were big, bigger than mine. His nose was a bit flat and his lips seemed kind of perfect.

 

He was handsome and I knew that some people even called him pretty and beautiful, like a girl. It didn't matter much to me. If I'd had to decide to choose someone based on looks, I'd have taken another one, the one who seemed a bit... dandy? Yeah, if I had to choose based solely on looks, it'd haven been Micky Yoochun.

 

But it wasn't. I had chosen based on my feelings. Which one do you want to do this the least?, I had asked myself. It was Jaejoong. He seemed too perfect. Through the tons of interviews, shows, performances, I had only understood that he was a good cook and liked to hit the youngest. There was little personal known about him, next to nothing of his feelings.

 

So this was it. I went directly to the boss to let him know my decision. After I'd knocked, I waited for the “Come in” to enter the office. It was spacy, obviously the most spacy in the whole building, He was the boss after all.

 

I bowed and said: “I've made my decision. It's the oldest, Hero Jaejoong.”

 

The boss nodded from behind his big chair: “Alright. Take a break, I'll call you when I've made final arrangements.”

 

I actually had wondered how they'd make it possible for me to get close enough to them. I was a girl after all, and they didn't let many girls close to them. Except the staff. The staff was the solution of course. I was called back into the boss' office just after two o'clock.

 

“You'll be acting as an assistant to the manager. They have a lot to do, so no one will wonder why he needs one. You'll have to try to be as close as possible to them, but you also have to actually be an assistant do you understand? If you fail and they find out...”

 

He didn't finish his sentence but it was clear enough. It would be the end.

 

I nodded. “Yes, sir. I'll do my best.”

 

He nodded in answer. “There's everything you need in your office already. I doubt you'll be able to keep up with work if you stay in Eunpyeong. You'll stay at the dorms from now on.”

 

I knew which dorms he meant. They were quite near the office building and were available for trainees, managers as well as other staff who lived too far away otherwise. I sighed. I liked Eunpyeong. I had moved there because of the cheap rent and since the place would be gone in a few years, I'd actually like to stay there a bit longer. I can go back when this is finished, I thought.

 

“Yes, sir” I nodded.

 

“The manager you'll be working under is Park Seunghyun. He's been in charge of them for some time now. He'll appreciate the help.” He gave me a slight nod to dismiss me, but I still had a question.

 

“Uh, sir, can I ask a question? How many people know about this?”

 

“Just those from the meeting. We want to keep this quiet.”

 

Another threat. If I tell, I'm out. I realized with horror that there were more chances of me failing by making some foolish mistake than actually not being able to do it.

 

I bowed again and left the office. I knew that this company was hard. Different. The smallest things could end a career. God, what had I gotten myself into?