Prologue

How to fall in love

I had been a fool, of course, thinking that I'd go that easy. I was just an ordinary, young girl working for a big company. I just wanted to climb high and fast and like that I ended in this dilemma.

 

I guess I'd been something like a test, this task that I had been given.

 

“We need to make them more popular with the least effort possible. Think of something, be creative. We expect results and good ones. We can only keep the best of the best here.”

 

That had been my task. They'd given me two weeks. At first I'd thought that it would be easy, but the more I thought, the less I knew. Make someone more popular? The band was already good. Consisting of 5 equally talented men who looked like models, the band was already one of the most popular. How could I improve them? Me, just a young media science graduate.

 

Frustrated, I'd let the first week and half pass by, thinking of ridiculous solutions, one more ridiculous than the other.

 

Then, I spent two whole days just watching videos of them, reading fan comments, looking up facts. Finally I had an idea. There was one thing that they lacked. The thing that'd make them even more approachable.

 

So I went confidently into the meeting with a lot of important people, knowing that my idea was actually good.

 

“They need more drama, more realness” I said, “They are too clean, no scandals, well nothing big anyways. People are beginning to think they aren't even human. I think once they become more approachable and less like gods, more people will like them and support them. I don't know if you understand me, but my plan is to make them experience something that will pull them out of this, something that will make them more approachable to the public.”

 

A silence followed until a representative spoke.

 

“And of what did you think exactly?”

 

“Well, there are a lot of possibilities...” I trailed off. It was harder doing this, talking about someone else like this. Somehow, it seemed wrong. But I had to do this if I didn't want to get fired.

 

“Um, but I actually thought of something quite simple. They need to fall in love, or at least one of them.”

 

Another silence. This time it felt like it was going to drown me. Had I gone too far? It was still someone else's life I was talking about. I was starting to feel bad about doing this, but then the boss spoke:

 

“I agree. We've kept them away from everyone for too long. When do you think you can start?”

 

I stared at him. “Um, what?” I asked, perplexed. Start what?

 

“Well, since it was your idea, I suggest that you go through with it. Pick one member, make him fall for you and as soon as we see a reaction from the public, you'll get a big promotion. That's what you want, right?”

 

I felt ashamed. It was true, I needed the promotion to help my parents and I also was saving for a car. I bit my lip. I just have to make him fall for you, I can even choose who. But then the thought made me sick. Who was I to be so cruel? I wasn't a monster, I was just ambitious, and poor. I was biting my lip and felt that gazes of all the members of the meeting, full to the max. Didi I even have a choice? What if I said no? My thoughts must have been easy to guess, because the boss spoke again.

 

“If you say no, nothing will happen, now. But the next time, you won't get off that easily. We need commitment here. You're still young and have great ideas, like this one. You'll be given another chance, but only one.”

 

What it meant was: Next time you won't have a choice. Next time will be all or nothing.

 

But then another thought crossed my mind. If I didn't do it, would there be another girl be put into this position? Probably. They all seemed to like the idea. As I glances around the room, most faces were interested. Damn, why did I come up with such a dumb idea? It was almost inhuman, but now it was too late. It was me, or someone else. If someone else had to do this, would she blame me in the end? I couldn't believe I had judged this idea as good once. My ambition had been bigger than me, again.

 

“I'll do it” I sighed.

 

The boss nodded. “Okay, you'll get all the necessary information tomorrow morning. Get a good night’s sleep, it will be the last for a long time.”

 

I couldn't understand how right he was.