Chapter 25

Be My Girl

“Do you really have to go with him?”, Yuri asked while pouting, “You should go on a date with Donghae-Oppa instead of the beast.”

Yoona smiled gently at her friend while picking an outfit. “It’s not a date. Because I stood him up that time, I promised him that I’d make something with him.” Actually Yoona thought about it as a date, but felt silly thinking about Taecyeon probably not feeling the same.

It confused her and gave her a headache. She was sure that she liked Donghae. But why did she feel so good being with Taecyeon?

As the door bell rang, her heart skipped a beat. “He is here.” “Did you tell Donghae-Oppa about it?” Yoona shook her head. “And please don’t tell him, okay?”

“Of course not.” Yuri grinned widely and hugged her friend. “Okay, have fun and don’t think to much.”

“Thanks, Yuri-yah.” She quickly got her jacket and bag, and went to the door. Before opening it, she breathed in deeply. Okay, today I won’t think to much about it...

“Hey, beauty.” As she opened the door, Taecyeon was standing in front of her, casually leaning at the door frame. “Ready for our date?”

“It’s not a date.”, she told him which he skillfully ignored. “Let’s go!”

During their ride, Yoona and Taecyeon didn’t talk much, giving Yoona quite too much time to think about Donghae, Taecyeon and herself. Her head began to hurt even more but she tried to ignore it.

To distract herself, she looked out of the window, noticing, that they had almost left the city. “Where are we actually going?” Taecyeon chuckled. “It took quite some time for you to ask. You’ll see, when we get there. It won’t take much time anymore.”

She glanced at him secretly and let out a sigh. Normally she would’ve reacted sulkily but... somehow she liked it. Him taking her to a place without her knowing, where it was. Wasn’t that kind of romantic?

As they finally reached their destination, Yoona was more than happy to get some fresh air again. She felt really hot and her mind was still confused. “Everything okay?”, Taecyeon asked, as he got his jacket out of the car before locking it. “Huh? Oh yeah...everything’s okay.”, she said and smiled. A bit sceptical, Taecyeon shrugged it off and led her to the entrance of the park they had arrived at. Now Yoona’s eyes widened. “Wait, is this...?”

He grinned smugly. “Yes, this is the park you went to with your major that time.” More than surprised that he had remembered this place, she opened and closed it again at a loss of words.

“Come on.” He put a hand on her back and pushed her slightly into the park. Many people were taking a walk here, families, couples...

“Look here.” Gently he laid a hand on her shoulder and pointed at a flower not that far from them. When his face got close to hers, Yoona’s heart began to beat faster. “That’s the flower you were drawing that time.”

He was right. It was that hydrangea, she had drawn when he suddenly had appeared and then...

She backed away a little and looked at him with wide eyes. “Don’t tell me that Jessica-shi will jump out of a bush, too!”

Taecyeon began to laugh. “Of course not! And that time, too, it was just a coincidence.” Yoona blushed a little. The thought of the other woman made her feel uncomfortable. Jessica was pretty and rich. She definitly was the better choice. Quickly Yoona shook her head. What was wrong with her today? It didn’t matter whether she was better than Jessica or not. She didn’t like Taecyeon anyways! At least not like she liked Donghae...

“Hello? Earth to Yoona?” She saw a hand waving in front of her face, noticing that she had been staring at the ground. “You seem a bit off, today. You sure that everything’s okay?” Taecyeon was frowning at her, showing his worry.

Pull yourself together, Im Yoona!, she told herself and shook her head, before grinning embarrassedly. “I... was just thinking about whether I’m hungry or not.” He raised an eyebrow in disbelief before putting on a wry grin. “And?”

She acted as if she thought about it again for a moment and nodded. “I am hungry.” “Alright, I know a restaurant not far from here.”

Although she couldn’t believe that Taecyeon actually accepted her lie, she was relieved. And she really was kind of hungry.

They left the park again and went to a (quite fancy looking) restaurant. The waiter led them to a table at the windows with a great sight on the nature. As Yoona opened up the menu card, she gasped slightly. Okay, this restaurant didn’t only look classy, it was classy! Or else the prices wouldn’t be justified.

Taecyeon who saw her frowning chuckled slightly. “Don’t worry about the prices. Just take anything you want.” “Are you sure? It’s really expensive...”, the latter she whispered so only he could hear.

He put on his typical smugly grin. “I’ve got quite some money, did you forget?” She snorted at his comment. “Well, you won’t mind me ordering everything, will you?”

“I don’t think you’ll be able to eat all of that.”, he said and laughed. At first she acted sulkily before laughing, too. Now, this felt more like always. He, acting as the rich beast who thinks, that he gets everything he wants and her being annoyed by this.

The waiter came to get their order (Yoona was tempted to really order everything) and brought something to drink.

Quietly Yoona took the glass of water, took a sip of it and looked out of the window. Taecyeon who had been observing her frowned again and sighed lightly. “You’re acting strange today.”

Surprised she turned to him. “What? I’m acting strange?”

“Absolutely strange. Normally you’d nag about everything and well, be more talkative. But today... you are quiet and your mind seems to wander.”

“Oh, it’s just... I didn’t get much sleep last night.”, she told him and smiled weakly. Another lie. Although Taecyeon seemed to notice that she wasn’t telling the truth, he didn’t ask any further.

Yoona was more than thankful for it and the timing of their meal coming was great.

While they were eating, they didn’t talk much and again the awkwardness began to spread between the two of them. It was already getting dark outside when they left the restaurant. Quietly they walked through the park back to Taecyeon’s car.  The drive home was nerve-wrecking for both of them.

Yoona was constantly thinking about her feelings and what to do, while Taecyeon wondered what he did wrong for her to act like this. As they had almost reached the apartmentbuilding, Taecyeon couldn’t bear it anymore and stopped the car at the sidewalk. Confused Yoona looked around. “Why are you-“ “What did I do wrong, Yoona? Did I hurt you somehow?” Taecyeon looked at her with a painful expression which made Yoona’s heart skip a beat. felt dry and as she opened no words came out.

“I know that I’m not always nice but...” Taecyeon remembered his encounter with Kyuhyun and grimaced. “I really like you, you know.”

Her eyes widened for a moment. Somehow his confession made her happy but at the same time... Totally confused she could only shake her head. “I...I just...”

“Yoona...” She could feel his hand on her cheek and looked up. “Please, tell me. How do you think about me?”

As their eyes met, she could feel that something wanted her to tell him that she liked him. To be with him, wanted to lie in his arms... Slowly she lifted her hand to touch his but then Donghae’s face popped up in her mind. Her eyes started to tear up and she turned her head away. No, this was wrong. She wanted to be with Donghae, not with Taecyeon. She was just confused because of his kindness, she wasn’t in love with him. She wasn’t!

Now she couldn’t hold back her tears anymore. “I- I’m sorry...!” Without looking at him again, she opened the door and rushed out of the car.

Her mind was blank and her head hurt. She ran, just ran away.

 


He didn’t know how long he had been there since Yoona had ran away. He had only been sitting in his seat, staring blankly at the street in front of him.

A bitter chuckle escaped his lips. “Yoona will decide soon. You don’t match with her.” Kyuhyun’s words echoed through his mind. “So she really decided...” He leaned his forehead against the wheel and silently a tear ran down his cheek.

 


As she arrived in front of the apartment building, it was pitch dark outside. She didn’t know what time it was and how long she had been wandering around.

With weak and slow steps she walked up to her apartment door, not able to think clearly. As she stood in front of her door, her eyes teares up again. The doors next to her apartment were closed. And she knew, that she had been the one to lock one of them inside of her heart.

Instead of going into her flat, she knocked at Donghae’s door. It took a while until her opened the door. “Yoona? What-“ Before he could finish his sentence, she took a step closer and wrapped her arms around him. Surprised by her action, he was wide awake. As he wanted to ask what was wrong, he noticed her sobbing and her trembling. Without asking any further, he led her inside.