Chapter 4

Wishing You Were Here

“Jessica. Wake up.” Tiffany taps Jessica’s shoulder to wake her up.

“Leave me alone.” Jessica replied as she pushes Tiffany off of her bed.

“We’re about to go eat, wouldn’t you like to join us?” Tiffany added knowing how much Jessica loves to eat. Oh my gosh, her eyes just popped open when she heard the word eat. That scared the sh!t out of me . Tiffany thought as she saw Jessica quickly get up from her bed.

“Eat? Where? Who’s we? I’m ready.” Jessica stood up all ready to go.

“That was fast.”

“Why are you talking to me in Korean? Don’t you know how horrible your pronunciation is?” Jessica asked.

“Since I’m here, I’m going to have to use Korean. Come on let’s go.” Tiffany said as she pulled Jessica outside of the room.

“You never told me who’s ‘we’.” Jessica questioned Tiffany again not knowing she was about to bump into someone.

“Ya, watch out. Yuri’s behind you.” Tiffany warned Jessica and so Jessica took a step away from Yuri.

“Hi! I’m Yuri, your next door roommate! Nice to meet you” Yuri excitedly introduced herself as she did her greeting bow again like she did to Tiffany.

Jessica scanned Yuri from head to toe then finally said “Hi, I’m Jessica. Nice to meet you too.” Jessica replied in her typical calm voice and bowed her head a little bit. Just at that moment Yuri thought to herself Wow, her Korean is perfect. And I thought she would have an accent like Tiffany. And her voice is so sweet.

“I’m Taeyeon, I’m sure we’ve met before.” Taeyeon came from behind Yuri and introduced herself to Jessica and they both did a light bow to each other. Jessica recognized her but it didn’t bother it nor was she interested in knowing what has happened between her and Tiffany.

“We’re going to eat lunch with Yuri and Taeyeon.” Tiffany added excitedly and jumped up and down. But once she noticed the weird look on Taeyeon’s face she calmed down and apologized “I’m sorry”.

And so they all walked to the closest school cafeteria. After a few minutes each got themselves a tray of food and sat down together.

“So Tiffany, are you from the US?” Yuri asked as she took a bite into her food.

“Uh huh. And so is Jessica, right Sica?” Tiffany asked Jessica, hoping she would actually join the conversation. But to her dismay Jessica was only interested in her food and so only nodded.

“So did you both come to Korea together?” Yuri asked again, she is just too curious her two new roommates.

“No, Jessica came back from the States 4 years ago with her parents. I just came back to go to school here.” Tiffany answered as she continues to eat.

And just as Tiffany finished her sentence, Taeyeon had a smile on her face. No wonder your Korean so badly she thought to herself.

As Yuri turned around, she saw that Taeyeon was smiling and once again it ranged the bell of her curiosity. “What are you smiling about Taeyeon?”

“Huh? Nothing. I wasn’t smiling. I was just eating.” Taeyeon answered, refusing to say the truth.

“So are you two friends? Or did you guys just meet?” Tiffany asked Yuri.

“Yeah we went to the same high school in Pusan.” Yuri replied.

“Alright, I’m done eating. You guys have fun, I’m going back to sleep.” Jessica said as she stood up from the table. And before anyone could say anything she has left.

“Jessica!” Tiffany yelled then turned back to Yuri and Taeyeon, “Sorry you guys, she doesn’t really like people. The only two things that she likes in the world are food and sleep.” Tiffany apologized as she glanced at Taeyeon again, this time it was more carefully. She does look familiar, but from where? Tiffany thought. “Um, Taeyeon, have we met before?” She finally couldn’t contain her curiosity and asked.

“Yeah, when you made me lost my phone.” Taeyeon replied coldly that resulted in an elbow from Yuri. Tiffany felt bad and just stop asking more questions.

They didn’t talk nor do much after that. Each of them went back to their own room after they finished their lunch. Some to unpack, one to just wonder around, and one to sleep. And soon it was night time…a time to wash up before going to bed.

“Jessica, I’m going to take a shower first, ok?” Tiffany told Jessica who was lying on her bed again, but this time she wasn’t sleeping. She was playing on her laptop. Tiffany went towards the bathroom and opened the door not noticing that the “occupied” light was on. By the time she could see what was in the bathroom, she saw Taeyeon standing there with only a towel wrapped around her body. And before she could react, Taeyeon turned around and saw Tiffany at the door.

“Ya! Don’t you see the light’s on?!” Taeyeon yelled at Tiffany whose eyes were still on Taeyeon.

Tiffany was frozen to the sight in front of her eyes. It took her another 5 seconds after she heard Taeyeon’s voice to blink and quickly turned around. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to. I forgot to look.” Then she quickly went back out of the bathroom and closed the door behind her. Oh my gosh. That was weird. Tiffany ah, what are you thinking about? Why is your heart beating so fast? Tiffany thought to herself.

“That was fast.” Jessica said after she heard the door closed. “Ya, why is your face so red? Are you ok?” She stood up from the bed and walked towards Tiffany then she placed both of her hands on Tiffany’s cheek. “You’re burning up. Are you ok? Tiffany!” Waved her hand back and forth in front of Tiffany’s face. “Tiffany! Come back!”

Tiffany finally snapped back from her daze. “I’m okay. Uh, Jessica, why don’t you shower first?” After she finished her sentence Tiffany just walked towards her bed and sat on it.

“Um, ok.” Jessica replied though she was curious about Tiffany who’s always hyper just sat still on her bed. After she grabbed her clothes and towel and noticed that the occupied light was not on, she opened the door. But by fate, Yuri on the other side was also opening the door to her side of the bath room.

“Oh, Jessica. Go ahead, I’ll just wait till you’re done.” Yuri said with courtesy and a smile on her face.

“Ok, then.” Jessica replied without any emotion and went in the shower stall.

Since Jessica is now taking a shower, Yuri stepped back out to her side of the room.

“What’s wrong?” Taeyeon asked as she saw Yuri came out.

“Jessica is taking a shower now.” Yuri replied and went to sit down on her bed.

“That Tiffany girl is weird. How could she forget to look at the occupied light? And her reaction is so slow. It took her like 5 seconds before she could hear what I said.” Taeyeon said.

“Come on, Taeyeon. I’m sure you’ll forget to too one of these days. You’re just still holding grudge against her.” Yuri insisted.

“She did cause me to lose my phone, didn’t she?” Taeyeon replied in her mocking tone. And before Yuri could rebut, Taeyeon added “No more comments.”

After a while just sitting there and talking Taeyeon noticed the occupied light was turned off and said “Hey, the light’s off. Go shower.”

“Ok.” Yuri responded then went in the bath room.

While on the other side, Tiffany was still sitting on her bed, dazed out.

“Ya, Yuri’s going to take her shower so you’ll have to wait a bit. Ya. Tiffany. Tiffany.” Jessica sighed. “What am I going to do with you? Aish.”