Chapter 33

Wishing You Were Here

“Is she okay, nurse? Please help her! Is there anything wrong?” Tiffany questioned the nurse shaking her arm back and forth.

Tiffany had taken Taeyeon into the nurse office where Taeyeon was placed on a bed in a private room.

“Calm down. She just has a high fever because of standing in the rain.” The nurse answered Tiffany. “Here, let her take his.” The nurse said handing Tiffany some medicine. “After you give her the medicine, you can take her back to her room. And just to help it even faster, place a cold towel on her forehead.” The doctor commanded to Tiffany and left the room. It seems though there were a few other students who need to be taken care of.

“Here, take this.” Tiffany said as she gives Taeyeon the medicine and a glass of water. After Taeyeon took the medicine, Tiffany took the glass and handed to the student aid standing there. “Let me take you back to the room.” She said then carried Taeyeon on her back to her room.

Tiffany ah, why do you still care about me so much? You shouldn’t be nice to someone who has hurt you as deeply as I have. Taeyeon thought as she’s being carried by Tiffany half awake.

Luckily the rain she stopped and it was easier for Tiffany to carry Taeyeon back to the room. It takes her about 10 minutes to reach the room. She quickly but lightly set Taeyeon down on the bed. “Stay here, let me go get you a cold towel.” Tiffany stated then walks towards the bathroom. A moment later she came back with a cold towel and placed it on Taeyeon’s forehead. “Okay, now rest. I won’t bother you anymore.” She stated then stood up from the bed when she felt a grip on her wrist.

“Don’t leave…” Taeyeon said softly as if it was a whisper.

Tiffany turned around and gave Taeyeon a smile. It wasn’t her ordinary hyperactive smile. Nor was it her happy smile. It was a smile of agreement to Taeyeon’s request. Tiffany sat back down on Taeyeon’s bed. “Okay, sleep, I’ll stay right here.” She said soothing Taeyeon to sleep as she brushes Taeyeon’s hair with one hand and held Taeyeon’s hand with the other.

After two hours of resting, Taeyeon wakes up and finds Tiffany sleeping next to her, still holding on to her hand. She attempted to get up but was unsuccessful. Feeling movements, Tiffany wakes up.

“Taeyeon, are you okay now?” Tiffany asked then seeing Taeyeon nodded she smiled. “Do you want some water?” She asked again. After Taeyeon nodded, Tiffany gets up and brought back a glass of water. Before handing it to Taeyeon, she blows the surface of the water and said, “The nurse said not to drink cold water. This is a bit hot, so be careful.”

After drinking some water, Taeyeon looked at Tiffany and said, “Thanks Tiffany, for taking care of me. And sorry, I couldn’t go with you to the movies.”

Tiffany chuckled. “No problem, we’re friends, right? And it’s okay. I wanted to go to the movies because I thought I was going to be bored, but you kept me company.” She replied with a smile on her face.

“Kept you company? All I did was sleep.”

“But I had fun watching you sleep_” Tiffany blurted her thought out. She knew she shouldn’t have said that and quickly covers with her hand.

“Watching me…sleep?” Taeyeon questioned shifting her eyebrows.

“Sorry Taeyeon, I left you the whole day today.” Yuri’s voice was heard when the door suddenly opens. “Tiffany? What are you two doing?” She asked staring at the two on Taeyeon’s bed.

“Nothing!” Tiffany shouted. “I’m going back to my room now.” She stated then headed towards the door. And before she went in the bathroom, Tiffany turned around and stared at Yuri. “Don’t tell Jessica.” She added.

“What’s going on? Did you guys made up?” Yuri asked staring at Taeyeon with a confused face.

“I guess?”

***

After being taken cared by Tiffany, Taeyeon quickly recovers and was back to normal the next day for class.

“Do you need help?” Taeyeon asked seeing how Tiffany turns her head side to side with her nervous and confused face.

“Taeyeon…?” Tiffany asked in surprise since it has been a while since Taeyeon would initiate to help or even talk to her. “Yes, I need help. Can you help me?” She asked and smile happily at the fact that Taeyeon has offered to help her.

“Do you get it now?” Taeyeon asked after she has explained it to Tiffany. Once Tiffany nodded, she let out a smile and hesitated in continuing the conversation. “Tiffany ah, do you have anything to do tonight?”

“No,” Tiffany shook her head.

“Well, to thank you for taking care of me last night…I want to treat you to dinner. What do you say?” Taeyeon asked.

“Wait, you’re asking me to go on a date with you? I’m not dreaming right?” Tiffany stated in surprise. When Taeyeon made the notion that this is not a dream, she quickly replies with “Why would I say no?” Then she smiled like she always does causing Taeyeon to laughs at her.

***

After two hours of tennis practice, the coach called the players in to adjourn the practice.

“Tiffany ah, here’s some water.” Donghae popped out of no where and handed a cup of water to Tiffany.

“Uh…thanks Donghae.” Tiffany replied and forced out a smile. “What are you doing?” She asked in her whispering voice.

“I told you, I will win your heart.” He replied.

“See that? That’s exactly what you should be doing.” Jessica told Yuri, watching Donghae and Tiffany from a few feet away.

“Okay, let me give you two options to choose from. Water or a ‘special treat’?” Yuri asked.

“I want both!” Jessica whines and pouts in front of Yuri shaking her arm like a child.

“Okay, okay. I’m no match for your pout. I shouldn’t have melted your icy heart.” Yuri gave in and quickly ran to get Jessica some water.

“And that’s how you should’ve treated her.” Jessica mocked then rolled her eyes at Taeyeon who was standing there with her and Yuri.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Taeyeon said as she watches Tiffany ran over to her side.

“Taeyeon ah, I’m not thirsty, do you want this?” Tiffany asked and brought the cup of water that Donghae gave her up to Taeyeon’s face.

“Uh…he got it for you…”

“But if you want to, you can have it.” Tiffany insisted. She obviously didn’t want to give Donghae any hope.

“Tiffany ah,” Donghae called trying to get Tiffany’s attention again. “If you’re not doing anything tonight, we should go to the movies together since we couldn’t last time.”

“Uh…” Tiffany hesitated then looked over to Taeyeon who seems a bit uneasy. “I actually have a date today already.” She finally admitted.

“Oh…then how about tomorrow? Or Friday?” Donghae continued to ask.

“We’ll see about it then.” Tiffany stated then forced out a smile again.

“Well, I guess I’ll leave you girls now. Bye.” Donghae bid his farewell then took off.

“Taeyeon ah, we should go get ready, fast!” Tiffany stated then pushes Taeyeon back to their dorm quickly.

“What just happened?” Yuri asked as she walks back and handed Jessica her cup of water. “Are they together again?”

“I don’t know.”

***

After Taeyeon had treated Tiffany dinner, they took a stroll home.

“Tiffany ah, are you that…forgiving?” Taeyeon asked.

“What do you mean?”

“I know, I’ve hurt you a lot in the past but you are still nice to me.” She explained.

When Tiffany heard Taeyeon’s comment she smiled sweetly at Taeyeon. “What’s the point of hating someone? It’ll only make them remember the pain from the past.” She replied. “Besides, it wasn’t your fault. I was definitely…annoying.”

Tiffany has definitely matured after the incident. Taeyeon thought as she smiles back at Tiffany. “No, I was being a jerk to you.” She said almost like arguing with Tiffany.

“Ya. Now you’re just trying to pick a fight over whose fault it was.” Tiffany stated. “Anyways, why were you in the rain anyways? You obvious were at the bus stop since I saw your umbrella.” She asked.

“Uh…I…” Taeyeon hesitated. “I saw you and Donghae kissing each other…” She stated.

“Oh…no. It wasn’t what you saw. You only saw half of it!” Tiffany exclaimed. “Don’t misunderstand. I mean he did try to kiss me but I pushed him away. I didn’t kiss him! I promise!”

“Really?” Taeyeon assured then seeing how serious Tiffany looked, she smiled.

“But wait, what does that have you to do with you getting rained on?”

“I forgot that I left the umbrella on the ground when I was tying my shoe.” Taeyeon lied. “And when I left it wasn’t raining so I didn’t remember when it started to rain and I didn’t have an umbrella…yeah…that was it.”

After hearing how Taeyeon reacted when she saw Donghae trying to kiss her, Tiffany just smiled. “Taeyeon ah…” Tiffany paused. “Can I…call you TaeTae again?” She asked.

“Huh?” Taeyeon looked at Tiffany strangely. Why would she want to call me that? But I recall she did call me that when she was carrying me to the nurse as well. She thought and replied, “Um, I guess?”

“TaeTae!” Tiffany shouted and linked her arms with Taeyeon. Afraid that Taeyeon might not like it she was about to release her arm.

Noticed that Tiffany was about to let go of her arm, Taeyeon turns to her and said. “Let’s be just like before, huh?” Tiffany smiled back at her and continued to linked arms with her till they arrive at their dorm.