Chapter 36

Wishing You Were Here

It was about 9:30 when Tiffany arrives at the school gate. Knowing that it was going to rain, she was smart enough to buy an umbrella and was safe from the heavy rain that was going on. After getting off the taxi, Tiffany walks quickly to her dorm building. There, she saw someone that she didn’t expect to see, Donghae.

“Tiffany.” He called, standing up from sitting on the sofa in the lobby of the dorm building.

“What is it?” Tiffany asked, though not interested in what he has to say.

“I’m actually leaving by the end of this week, and want to say goodbye.” He stated.

“Oh, well good luck to wherever you’re going.” Tiffany said with a smile.

“Actually, besides that I also wanted to talk to you about Taeyeon.” He paused, waiting for Tiffany’s reaction.

“I don’t want to hear it.”

“It was my fault. I told her to leave you. I challenged her to her own feelings, saying that the only reason why she’s treating you better is because she feels guilty and pities you.” Donghae stated lowering his head with guilt. “You should let her explain.” He added.

Now Tiffany finally understands what Taeyeon was trying to tell her before. “But if she didn’t have doubts about her feelings, she wouldn’t have done so.” Tiffany argued.

“Well, it’s up to you to decide. I guess I’m leaving now. It was nice knowing you Tiffany.” He stated then walks up the stairs to his dorm.

Tiffany too, walks up stairs back to her dorm after Donghae left. Once she enters the room, she can hear Yuri and Jessica giggling inside.

“What are you guys doing?!” Tiffany asked seeing how they were both on Jessica’s bed.

“It’s not what you think!” Yuri exclaimed. “We’re just sleeping…together.”

“Nothing else.” Jessica added

“Right. Whatever.” Tiffany said then sat down on her bed.

“Yuri, your phone is vibrating.” Jessica stated pointing to Yuri’s phone on the desk.

“Thanks.” Yuri replied and picks up the phone. “Hello, ahjusshi?...Oh, Taeyeon? I haven’t seen her today…hmm you can’t call her? I’ll try to find her for you. Don’t worry too much ahjusshi. Ok, bye.” After hanging up, Yuri stood up and goes through the bathroom doors to her room. After a few seconds, she came back. “Have you guys seen Taeyeon?” She asked.

Both Tiffany and Jessica shook her head to Yuri’s question.

Hmm, could she still be waiting for me? Tiffany thought. Nah, I doubt it, it’s raining heavily outside, who would be so stupid to wait.

“Args, she’s not picking up her phone.” Yuri grumbles as she hangs up her phone call to Taeyeon.

“I might know where she is…” Tiffany let out softly causing Jessica and Yuri to look at her. “She sent me a text message saying she wants to meet me at 8…” She continued.

“8? It’s already 10.” Jessica commented.

“Where at?” Yuri asked.

“She said the first time I met her.”

“So at the park?” Jessica asked.

“I guess?”

“But it’s raining really hard would she still be there?” Yuri questioned.

“And if she’s out there…” Jessica proposed.

“We need to find her.” Tiffany stated then rushes out the door.

It took the girls about 30 minutes to get to the park since it was hard getting a taxi in the rain, and driving there wasn’t great either. But once the girls got there, they did not see Taeyeon.

“Where could she be?” Yuri asked.

“I think I know where she is. You guys head home, I’ll go over there myself.” Tiffany stated then hopped on another taxi.

After telling the taxi driver where she needs to be dropped off, the taxi driver drove off leaving Yuri and Jessica behind. She must be at the bridge then if she’s not here. Tiffany thought as she sits in the taxi waiting until she arrives. Through the windows she can see that Taeyeon was sitting on a bench at the bridge. She told the driver to drop her off and he did. After paying him, Tiffany got off the taxi with a pink umbrella over her head.

As she walks towards Taeyeon, who did not see her, Tiffany notice there were some blurry image on the sidewalk. She tries to make up what they were and only see blurry figures and words. She could barely make up what the words were saying, and they looked like “I’m Sorry” in English. Then she continues to walk to Taeyeon who was sitting on the bench hugging herself. “Kim Taeyeon! What do you think you’re doing?! Let’s go home!” Tiffany shouted.

Hearing Tiffany’s voice, Taeyeon woke up from sitting there in the cold. Her face was as pale as a sheet of paper. Her body was still trembling from the cold weather and soaked in the heavy rain. Once she finally opens her eyes, she saw Tiffany running to her with her pink umbrella. “Tiffany ah!” Taeyeon whispers weakly with a smile on her face and attempted to stand up. Unfortunately, Taeyeon never got the chance to stand up before she fell down on the ground.

“Taeyeon!” Tiffany shouted and rushes to see Taeyeon on the ground. “Taeyeon!”

“Tiffany ah,” Taeyeon whispered and slowly pulled the phone from her pocket out. “The pictures_” was all she could continue before losing conscious.

***

Taeyeon was immediately rushed to the hospital with Tiffany along her side. Yuri and Jessica came in afterwards after hearing about it from Tiffany who had called them.

“Where is she?” Yuri asked rushing to Tiffany who was sitting on a chair.

“She’s in the emergency room right now.” Tiffany stated. “Apparently she had been outside in the rain this whole time.” She added with a sense of guilt that she did not show up.

“What?! Is she crazy?!’ Yuri exclaimed.

“She was telling the truth…she was going to stay there till I show up.”

“Ya, Tiffany. I know you have every right not to show up, but couldn’t you at least tell her that? She was sitting there waiting for you?” Yuri exclaimed. “Don’t you know she could get sick sitting out there in the rain?!”

“Yuri ah, calm down.” Jessica stated holding her back.

“I didn’t think she was going to continue to stay there.” Tiffany stated.

“Why wouldn’t she? She loves you!” Yuri yelled but Jessica continues to hold her back. “Have you ever put yourself in her shoes? Right, she did hurt you badly before but can you really blame her for being ignorant to your love? And did you know that after that day that you confronted her that she was avoiding you she was crying to me? She thought it would be the best if you were to stay away from her because she was not confident of her love and afraid that she was going to hurt you again.” She disclosed.

“Yuri, calm down. Yelling at Tiffany isn’t going to help anything right now.” Jessica asserted.

“If you want to side with her than go ahead, I’m leaving.” Yuri stated then stormed out.

“Yuri!” Jessica shouted. “Tiffany, I’ll be right back.” She said then quickly chase after Yuri.

As Tiffany waited outside the emergency room, she remembers that Taeyeon had given her her phone. Curious of what Taeyeon meant by “the pictures” she took out Taeyeon’s phone. It was wet. No wonder we couldn’t reach her. Tiffany thought as she tries to dry the phone with her shirt. Still wasn’t able to turn the phone back on, she opens the battery and cleaned it. Finally, Tiffany thought as she sees the screen . Assuming she meant the pictures that she took, Tiffany looked for the picture folder on Taeyeon’s phone. There, she saw them. They were pictures of the chalk drawings that Taeyeon has drawn on the sidewalk of the bridge. Tiffany could tell that Taeyeon had taken these pictures while it was raining since she can see the droplets of rain on the ground. Although it was raining, Taeyeon had managed to take the picture before the chalk was completely washed away and thus could see clearly what the drawings were of.

The first drawing was of a little girl on her knees looking very sad and sincere. Above her head was “I’m Sorry” written in English. With the droplets of rain there, it seems though like the girl was crying while kneeling. The second drawing was of the same little girl, but this time it looks like she was slapping herself with the saying, “I deserve to be punished” written in Korean. The third drawing was of the same little girl with her hands together like she was begging for something. And above it was the words “please forgive me, I can’t live without you.” The last picture, with the additional of the previous ones, had left an impression in Tiffany as it shows in her teary eyes. It wasn’t really a drawing. All it was, was “Tiffany, I love you” written in English.

Babo-ah. Tiffany thought as she closes her eyes letting the tears that were formed in her eyes to drip off.