Chapter 19

Wishing You Were Here

“Hey you guys want to want to come with us?” Yuri asked while getting ready.

“Where?” Tiffany asked.

Tiffany and Taeyeon were also in the room since they had just finished doing their homework. Jessica was in her room sleeping like always. It’s unknown that she’s sleeping because she prefers to sleep or because she needed to avoid the sight of Taeyeon and Tiffany together.

“Me and Jessica are going to go out to eat.” Yuri explained.

“Oh…no you guys can go.” Tiffany said giving Taeyeon the wink.

“Yeah, I think I’ll stay. There’s actually something from English class that I didn’t get so I think I’ll ask Tiffany to help me on that.” Taeyeon said. She knew what Tiffany was up to.

“Um, okay.” Yuri replied with a weird look on her face but decided to ignore them and walk over to Tiffany’s and Jessica’s room to wake up Jessica. “Jessica, I’m ready to go.” She said.

“Ok.” Jessica replied as she stretches out of her bed.

So after Yuri and Jessica get their bags and phones they headed out.

“It’s going to be an interesting night for them.” Tiffany proposed. “So…Taeyeonnie…what are WE going to be doing, tonight?” She asked as she steps closer to Taeyeon who was sitting on her bed.

“Ya. What do you think you’re doing?” Taeyeon stuttered as she scoots back away from Tiffany on her bed.

“Well.” Tiffany said. “We’ve been acting like a couple all day, it wouldn’t hurt that much more if we continue to act like a couple for the rest of the night…would it?” She continued with a wink then faced Taeyeon on her bed.

“Wh…wha…what are you saying?” Taeyeon stuttered again trying to scoot further away from Tiffany but she’s already against the wall. “Ya! Tiffany! Don’t do anything or else I will scream.” She warned.

“Oh, and they’ll know that we’re a fake couple!” Tiffany rebutted. “Come on, just a kiss! It’s not like we haven’t kissed before.” Tiffany nags with her whining voices and puppy eyes.

“Stop playing around.” Taeyeon demanded as her back lean against the wall while Tiffany was within inches away from her. “Ya, I’m not playing around.” She added.

“I’m not either.” Tiffany reaffirmed herself. “Oh my gosh, Taeyeon! Look! What’s that on the door?!” Tiffany shouted then pointed her index towards the door. As Taeyeon turns her head to look at the door, Tiffany grinned evilly then took her chance and gives Taeyeon a peck on her left cheek. “I won.” She said jumping off the bed as quickly as she could.

“YA! HWANG MI YOUNG!” Taeyeon shouted and was about to chase Tiffany and give her a lesson but by the time she gets off her bed, Tiffany had already went through the bathroom doors back to her room. “Ugh, that girl.” She grumbled and wipes her cheek. “I have to teach her a lesson!”

***

After Yuri and Jessica finished eating from the restaurant they decided to go on a little walk before headed home.

“Did you like the food, Jessica?” Yuri asked.

“It was good.”

“Do you like to sleep, Jessica?”

“Uh huh.”

“Do you like to eat, Jessica?”

“Yes.”

“Do you like Tiffany, Jessica?”

“Uh huh…” Jessica paused, realizing she has just admitted it to Yuri without knowing it. “As a friend, yes.” She added trying to cover up her mistake.

“What about me, do you like me?” Yuri asked as she looks at Jessica. “As a friend, of course.”

“Yuri ah…” Jessica hesitated. “I’m really not worthy of all your effort. You will only hurt yourself if you keep this up.” She warned.

“I’ve already told you. I’m determined to melt the ice in your heart.” Yuri responded. “And just the fact that you’re saying this to me shows that I’ve made progress.” She continued with a smile on her face.

“Yuri_”

“Jessica.” Yuri interrupts. “You can’t stop me. And if you really don’t want to hurt me then just…let me into your ice castle. And give me a chance to melt those thick walls of ice around your heart.” Yuri stated as she looks deeply in Jessica’s eyes. And for that moment she could felt as though, she could see the warm-hearted Jessica through her eyes. The real pure hearted Jessica that was covered by the numerous layers of ice.

“Yuri…” Jessica paused. No one has ever put in so much effort to me as her since Tiffany. She is a really nice girl, I have to admit. And I have been tempted many times to allow her into my heart, to be able to comfort my pains. I don’t know how long I can keep resisting the temptation anymore. Because as my heart weakens, the more I feel the need of a comforting shoulder to lean on. Yuri ah…wait just a bit longer. I want to overcome my own problem before letting you into my heart. You don’t deserve to be just a shoulder to lean on when I’m in rough times. You deserve to be more than that. Jessica thought as she looked at Yuri’s pair of eyes, hoping that Yuri would understand how she feels right now. “I_”

“Jessica, watch out!” Yuri shouted as she reaches her hand out to grab Jessica’s hand. Finally she was able to grab Jessica’s hand and pull Jessica towards her own body.

Jessica did not know what has happened and was surprised by Yuri’s action. It was not until another split second that she felt something passes by her back at high speed. She was startled and tightens her grip around Yuri’s waist closing her eyes. Seeing how Jessica reacted, Yuri wrapped her arms around her to calm her down as she look towards the red car that had almost hit Jessica. It seems like the driver was drunk since the car was swerving left to right on the road without pay attention to anyone. After a few more seconds, Jessica notices how close she was to Yuri and lets go of her body.

“Jessica, are you okay?” Yuri asked with her body as she checks Jessica’s body. “Are you hurt anywhere?! Aish, stupid drivers these days. If you’re hurt, I’m not going to let him go.” She stated, still checking if Jessica’s okay.

“Yuri ah, I’m okay.” Jessica responded as she held onto Yuri’s hands confirming that she is fine. “I’m not hurt.” She reaffirmed herself and looked straight into Yuri’s worried eyes. And that position was kept for another five seconds before Jessica lets go.

Biting her lips, Yuri suggested “I think we should head home now.” With Jessica’s nod, the two began to walk home. “What was it that you were going to say earlier?” Yuri asked trying to change the subject.

“Nothing really.” Jessica replied.

“Okay.”

***

The next morning was Honey University second tennis tournament against another school. First doubles up again were Taeyeon and Tiffany while Yuri, Jessica, Sunny and Sooyoung wait at the bench watching their game. Sunye is also playing on another court with Sunmi watching from outside. After the two doubles introduced to each other they began the game.

Their opponents this time were not as easy as the previous ones. In fact, they are almost as good as Jessica and Yuri or even just as good. The scores were tightly close along the whole game. Both teams worked hard to get to each balls and their sweatiness shows that. Finally the game hit 8-8 and the girls have to play a tie-breaker.

“Me! Me!” Taeyeon screamed as she rushes towards the ball to her right. She aims at the ball and swings her racket towards it. It was the perfect shot and scored them their point. But when Taeyeon rushes back to her position, one of her feet stepped on some sort of marble and made her slip. “AH!” She screams.

“Taeyeon!” Tiffany screams as she rushes towards Taeyeon who was on the ground. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?” She asked worriedly as she checks around Taeyeon. “Your knee is bleeding!”

“That’s fine but I think I sprained my ankle as well.” Taeyeon replied with a painful expression on her face.

“Let me take you to the nurse.” Tiffany said as she lifts Taeyeon up.

“No, I want to continue playing.” Taeyeon responded as she pushes Tiffany’s hand away, trying to stand on her own. “It’s okay Tiffany. I can do it. We only need one more point.” She said confidently. Tiffany nodded then they went back to their position.

The score is now 5-6 and it is Tiffany’s turn to serve. Tiffany, you have to serve your best serve now. You can’t afford not to. You can’t let Taeyeon run and in that case, the only thing you can do to prevent that is to ace your opponent. You can do it, Tiffany. Hwaiting! Tiffany thought to herself as she prepares her serve. “Hwaiting!” She whispers to herself as she throws the ball in the air. And with all the strength that she has left Tiffany smashed the ball with her racket. Tiffany did not even dare to look but when she heard the loud applause she knew she had done what she needed to do.

“Good games guys.” The four girls said as they shake hands with each other and exit the court.

“Taeyeon ah, are you okay? Let me help you. Here sit on the bench.” Tiffany said as she helps support Taeyeon walk to the bench. “Aish, your knee is bleeding. Does it hurt a lot?” She asked with her worried face as she blows air to Taeyeon’s wound hoping it would help. As she looks around she saw that the coach has brought the first aid kit and quickly take it from her. “Thanks coach.” She said as she help Taeyeon clean her wound. “Does it hurt, TaeTae?”

“Ya, Tiffany. You’re making it such a big deal. It’s fine.” Taeyeon insists noticing how everyone’s eyes were on them.

“No, you’re not fine.” Tiffany argued as she applies the band-aid on the wound. “Let me take you to the nurse.” She said. Taeyeon was about to refuse but with Tiffany’s glare she decided not to rebel and just lets Tiffany take her to the nurse.

Tiffany was too blind to Taeyeon that she did not notice how uneasy Jessica was sitting on the bench. Yuri, on the other hand, paid close attention to Jessica’s uneasiness. She knew it must be hard for Jessica to see the very person that she loves take care of another person, worse it’s Taeyeon, the person Tiffany loves. Jessica couldn’t hold it in anymore and removed herself from the scene. She quickly walks away to an empty place where no one was.

“Jessica!” Yuri shouted as she rushes behind Jessica.

Yuri, please don’t chase after me. Jessica thought as she increases her speed trying to hide her tears. Please don’t chase after me. I don’t want to give in to my weak heart and take you as a rebound. Please don’t chase after me. I don’t want to show you this side of me. At least not yet. And she continues to walk away with tears dripping down her face.