Chapter 27

Wishing You Were Here

Tiffany was surprised to hear Sunny’s scream and quickly turns to her direction. It seems like a tennis ball had hit Sunny’s face as she is down on the floor with hands over her nose. Tiffany did not know what has just happened since she had bend down when she felt the pain on her back. She knew it wasn’t her since her racket didn’t touch the ball. Still with the pain in her back, Tiffany rushed over to the Sunny at the net. But before she could get there, Taeyeon had turned around and gave her the most hatred glare she ever given and it stunned Tiffany. A glare that stayed deep in Tiffany’s heart.

“Are you happy now?! Your aim was right on.” Taeyeon scolded. “How immature are you?”

“What are you talking about?” Tiffany asked clueless of what was going on.

“Don’t try to pull this off with this act. I know you did it on purpose.” Taeyeon stated still giving Tiffany the worst look ever. “I know how well your serve is and no matter how bad it is, it would never go to the opposite side. Which means, you hit Sunny on purpose!” Taeyeon exclaimed.

“I didn’t!” Tiffany denied.

“You think by hurting Sunny, I would treat you better? You’re wrong!” Taeyeon yelled ignoring the fact that Tiffany had just denied the accusation. “I like being with Sunny because she’s not an immature little girl that clings to me day and night like you!” She yelled again.

“Do you really…think so…?” Tiffany asked as her voice cracks and tears fill her pair of eyes. “Is that all I am to you? Is it?” She asked again with drops of tears roll down her cheeks.

“Yes! Don’t you know how annoying you are? Always meddling into my business. And do you know how much I hated that?” Taeyeon stated.

“Am I that annoying? Do you…hate me?” Tiffany asked as her teary eyes looked at Taeyeon with hopes that she will not answer the question.

“YES! I hate you! I hate you Hwang Mi Young!”

Those words hit Tiffany hard. It felt like her heart was about to burst into million of pieces. The tears from her eyes couldn’t stop falling out and dripped from her chin. She swallowed and forced herself into forming another sentence. “If you hate me that much then let’s break up.” She said.

“Break up?” Taeyeon chuckled sarcastically. “I’ve been wanting to ever since we started this whole fake couple thing. And you know what? I saw Junsu with his new girlfriend yesterday. So THANK YOU!”

“Kim Taeyeon, I hate you!” Tiffany yelled then stormed out of the tennis court with her hand wiping the tears off her eyes. Why? Why did I fall in love you so that you can hurt me like this? What did I ever do to deserve this?

“Tiffany!” Jessica shouted and quickly followed Tiffany.

After Tiffany ran off, Taeyeon turned back to Sunny. “Are you okay? Your nose is bleeding.” Taeyeon said worriedly. “Let me take you to the nurse. I can’t believe she did this to you.”

With no where to vent her anger, Tiffany put it on painful back and legs and ran as fast as she had ever ran. But no matter how fast she ran or how long she ran, the pain in her heart could not stop as in shows in the non-stop amount of tears that dripped from her eyes. Finally with no strength left, Tiffany returned to her dorm.

“Tiffany!” Jessica pants grasping for air from running after Tiffany.

Once Tiffany sees Jessica, she quickly ran to her and hugged her tightly. “Jessica…” she cried.

“It’s okay, everything will be okay. I’m here.” Jessica said consoling Tiffany as she pats Tiffany’s back.

“Jessica, why does it hurt so much? Why do people say that being in love makes people happy? Why do they lie like that? Being in love is so painful. All I ever feel is sadness and disappointment.” Tiffany continued to cry on Jessica’s shoulder. Her tears just won’t stop. The words that had came out from Taeyeon’s mouth earlier had left a mark deep in Tiffany’s heart.

“They didn’t lie, Tiffany ah. They’re just missing the other half of it. Love can bring you all the joy in the world as well as all the despair you can imagine. But don’t worry Tiffany ah, you will definitely find happiness one day. May it be with her or someone else.” Jessica counseled and continued to console Tiffany. As she pats Tiffany’s back she turned around and noticed that Yuri had been standing outside the door watching them. She looked at Yuri with guilt in her eyes. Yuri only showed her a forced smile as she lowered her head and went into her room. She wanted to say something, or even hold her back but she wasn’t able to. A part her wishes to run after Yuri and tell her not to misunderstand the situation and a part of her wishes to stay right where she was, comforting Tiffany.

***

After taking Sunny back to her dorm, Taeyeon went back to her room. When she opens the door, she finds Yuri lying on her bed staring off into space. She seems to be in full of thoughts.

“What are you doing there?” Taeyeon asked as she sits down on her bed. Yuri did not reply. “Ya, Yuri. Are you okay?”

“Don’t you know how much you’ve hurt her?” Yuri finally responded to Taeyeon. “Do you know how much pain she is in right now because you?!” She added raising her tone and looked at Taeyeon.

“If she hadn’t been so immature, I wouldn’t have_”

“Don’t you know that she likes you? No, she doesn’t like you. She loves you, Taeyeon!” Yuri exclaimed. “How can you not see that?”

“She what? What do you mean she loves me?” Taeyeon questioned Yuri, clueless of what was going on.

“Tiffany…she loves you.” Yuri revealed. “Why else would someone get so jealous so easily seeing you with another girl? Why else would someone wish to stay with someone they’ve just known for a few months day and night? Why else would someone stay up all night waiting for you to come home?” She asked with anger at her best friend who is so oblivious to Tiffany’s feelings.

“Wha…what?” Taeyeon stuttered. “Even if she does, you shouldn’t expect me to like her back. I don’t like her like that.” She rebutted. “Besides, she’s one hyperactive girl. She’ll be fine by tomorrow.”

“I can’t believe I have a friend like you.” Yuri exclaimed then left the room.

“Ya!”

***

“I need some time by myself, Jessica.” Tiffany said sitting down on her bed. Tiffany had just stopped crying not long as her eyes are still puffy. She needed some times to be alone, some times to forget about the incident.

Jessica knew Tiffany need time and agrees to leave her alone. As she stares out the window, she could see Yuri sitting at bench in the courtyard. Yuri, she must be hurting. I need to talk to her. She thought then left the room and quickly rushes down to the courtyard. Once she there, she saw Yuri sitting there by herself with her head down.

She needs some time, I know. She had already told me and I am willing to wait. But why does it hurt when I see her consoling Tiffany? Yuri thought as she sat there on the bench.

“Yuri ah…” Jessica said in a lowly tone as she sat down next to Yuri. She then turns her head and face Yuri. Noticing that Yuri’s cheeks were wet she figured that Yuri must have cried. She slowly uses her hand to wipe away the remaining droplets of tears on Yuri’s face. Unknowingly, her own tears had formed and dripped down her cheeks onto Yuri’s hand. Yuri, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for hurting you. Jessica thought and continues to let her tears form drop by drop.

The second Yuri felt Jessica’ tears on her hand, she lifted her head and looked at Jessica. She noticed that Jessica is crying in front of her. “Jessica…just cry. Cry to me. Leave all your pain on my shoulder.” She stated as she pulls Jessica in for a hug. Jessica is hurt again. I don’t wish to see her like this. I feel so useless seeing her crying because of Tiffany. What should I do? What can I do? Jessica ah, it must hurt you a lot to see Tiffany in so much pain, right? Yuri thought. “Jessica ah, do you want to eat? I’ll treat you to any restaurant you want.” She offered hoping that it would distract Jessica’s pain.

However, Jessica shook her head. “No. I don’t want anything other than being in your arms right now.” She said and hugged Yuri even tighter.

Yuri was surprised by Jessica’s word but continued to hug her. After a little while, both Yuri and Jessica release the hug. “Do you want to eat now?” Yuri asked again.

“No.” Jessica shook her head. “I want to stay here with you a bit longer.” She said as she wraps her left arm around Yuri’s right arm then leaned her head onto Yuri’s shoulder. “Do you know that there are stars that are so far from earth that even if it stopped glowing at this moment, we wouldn’t be able to notice it till a few centuries later or so?” She asked staring at the night sky above them. “Do you think that we will be together long enough to notice that a star has disappeared?”

Yuri looked at Jessica, unsure if she’s getting the right message that Jessica is trying to give her. After seeing Jessica smile at her, she knew that her beliefs are correct. “No.” She replied causing Jessica’s smile to fade into a frown. “We won’t just take notice of one star disappearing but many of them. And we will also see the new ones glow.” She added lifting Jessica’s smile again. And they continued to sit there looking at the stars until a strange noise was heard. Yuri knew exactly what it was and looked at Jessica who was biting her lips. It was no other than Jessica's stomach growling. She chuckled then asked, “Ya, are you ready to go eat now?” Jessica quickly nodded and the two of them headed to a nearby restaurant to eat since it was already too late for the school cafeteria to be opened.