Thanks, Noona

Beside Her

 

Taemin had been quiet for a while now. Eunmi was almost scared to turn around and see the look on his face.

 

"Ahh... Eunmi," she heard Taemin say behind her.

 

"What?" She didn't stop walking and didn't turn around to look at him either. He didn't call me noona. The thought slightly depressed Eunmi even though she'd been the one to tell him he could use her name just this morning.

 

A hand grabbed her arm and she stopped walking. She still wasn't going to turn around.

 

"Thanks, noona." She finally looked at him. He wasn't scared. He wasn't wary. He was smiling. The tension fell from her shoulders.

 

"You're welcome." She continued walking and Taemin fell into step beside her.

 

"We're going to the supermarket, right?" No questions. He just thanked me and let it rest. Eunmi smiled. I think Taemin and I are going to get along...

 

"Mm," she replied absented-minded as she checked her bank balance on her phone. "Aishhh!!!" She quickly called her dad's number. "Appa!" She shouted when her dad answered.

 

"Eunmi!" She heard from the other end. "You hardly ever call! How are you?"

 

"Starving!" She barked into the phone. "You didn't put any money in my account! How am I supposed to buy food?!"

 

"Ah! I forgot! I'm sorry, honey. I'll transfer some in right now."

 

Eunmi sighed as she hung up.

 

"You don't live at home?" Taemin asked.

 

Eunmk shook her head. "I live at home. My dad doesn't." Taemin looked confused. "Work," Eunmi explained. Taemin nodded in understanding.

 

"What does he do?"

 

"Business stuff," she replied vaguely, waving her hand to indicate she didn't really know specifically and didn't particularly care.

 

"And he forgets to give you money for food?"

 

She shrugged. "He's forgetful."

 

They arrived at the supermarket and Eunmi threw a bunch of stuff into her shopping cart. "You want to come over for dinner? It'll give me an excuse to actually cook something."

 

Taemin's eyes brightened. "Really?"

 

Eunmi looked at him sideways. "Why would I be kidding about inviting you for dinner?"

 

Taemin ignored her sarcasm and answered her question from before, "I would never turn down food."

 

"I only know American dishes so I hope you aren't expecting anything remotely Korean. You like hamburgers?" At Taemin's nod, Eunmi picked up groundbeef.