Another SHINee Member

Beside Her

"I really shouldn't be surprised to see you with another SHINee member, should I?" The voice had come from behind them and Eunmi whirled in surprise at the familiar sneering voice.

 

"Baehyul?!" Eunmi was genuinely shocked. Changwoon wasn't the easiest university to get into. She hadn't really payed attention to the rankings in high school except to note her own ranking in second. She wondered if Baehyul was actually smart beneath all the brawn and bullying.

 

"What do they do? Pass you around?"

 

Not too smart. "Baehyul, did you forget I hated bullies in high school? Nothing's changed since then..." She'd said the words in a matter-of-fact voice that carried no menace whatsoever, but her eyes on him were stone cold.

 

"Whatever..." He said as he quickly walked away.

 

"'Another' SHINee member?" Onew questioned once Baehyul was out of earshot.

 

Eunmi sighed. Busted already. She turned to him with a smile. "Remember that friend I said really liked your group?" Onew nodded. "That friend is Taemin."

 

At this point she held out her hand even as he gave her a doubtful look. "I probably would have met you through him eventually, but Taemin's slow on introducing me to the other people in his life that matter." Onew hesitantly put his hand in hers. "Its okay if you don't believe me, by the way. I should probably tell Taemin it's about time he introduced me, shouldn't I?"

 

"Yeah, you probably should."

 

She nodded in the direction Baehyul had disappeared. "We all went to the same high school. Well, I only went there last year, but I think it would be safe to say I'm Taemin's best friend. Despite not introducing me to the rest of his group." She'd added the last sentence in a sardonic, self-deprecating tone of voice.

 

Onew chuckled. "For some reason, I think I might believe you."

 

Eunmi smiled and started to pull her hand out of his, but he held on. She looked down at their hands with raised eyebrows. Onew looked down at their hands and then let go hurriedly.

 

"You said you've been friends for the past year?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"So…" he hesitated and fidgeted and then seemed to make up his mind and continued, "do you mind if I ask when the last time you hung out with him was?"

 

Eunmi laughed out loud. "Pop quiz to see if I'm lying? It's fine," she said waving her hands when she saw him about to refute her claim, "suspecting me as a crazy fangirl is completely understandable, but to answer your question we hung out last night. We hadn't seen each other in about a week before then so he guilted me into hanging out when he finished with whatever he had to finish even though it was already midnight. Which," she added as she shoved her hands in her jean pockets, "is why I woke up late today and if you don't show me where the freshman orientation is we'll both be late to it."

 

Onew glanced at the watch on his wrist, grimaced and asked, "Would you mind sprinting there? We're already late."

 

Eunmi shrugged. "Nope." And with that Onew took off in a sprint with Eunmi following on his heels.