Late

Beside Her

 

Eunmi and Taemin really were able to go back to normal and hung out with each other as much as possible during the summer break, but with Taemin's schedule being so hectic, she found herself alone and bored more often than not. Though she'd only been in her dance class for a few months, her dance teacher, Hana, had moved her up to the more advanced classes and Eunmi was genuinely finding a passion in dance. She liked it so much that when Hana asked her to take the job of teaching the beginners, she did so gladly.

 

Summer passed quickly. Eunmi taught dance classes, attended dance classes, and hung out with Taemin whenever he wasn't working. Before any of them realized it, it was Fall and time for Eunmi to start college.

 

The week before classes started, freshman had to attend a mandatory orientation. Eunmi was running late that morning. She had met up with Taemin at about midnight and they'd stayed out by Han River for a lot longer than she'd originally intended on staying and so this morning of course she'd overslept. Stupid. You shouldn't have even gone out. And she wouldn't have if it hadn't been a week since she'd seen Taemin before last night; with her dance classes and his idol schedules, it had become horribly complicated trying to meet up with him.

 

So Eunmi had thrown on whatever she could find fastest this morning which happened to be baggy jeans, one of Taemin's shirts (which was also baggy), and a cap because she wasn't going to waste time in front of the mirror trying to figure out what to do with her hair.

 

I guess dad was right about the car, she thought as she climbed into the car her dad had sent as something of an apology after missing her graduation. The actual graduation present had been a simple white gold necklace with a star pendant that Eunmi now wore everyday. He'd insisted that she keep the car even if she didn't think she'd use it and it looked like it was going to be useful today because taking the bus would just make her much later than necessary.

 

Eunmi sped just a bit on her way and actually made it a few minutes early. She was running across campus when she realized she really had no idea where she was headed and stopped in the middle of a lawn area she'd been running through. Today was her first day on campus and she'd forgotten to even look at a map of the school. 

 

She spotted a guy who looked like he knew where he was going and rushed over to him. "Excuse me," she said, slightly out of breath from all the rushing and running she'd been doing the entire morning.

 

He stopped in his tracks and smiled. "Yes?"

 

He looked really familiar, but Eunmi couldn't quite place where she'd seen him before so instead of asking directions she just stood there staring at him. His hair was a light brown color, a bit long, and parted down the middle; his jaw was a bit wide but nevertheless carried the perfect V-line that every Korean girl loved; and his smile was wide and bright and Eunmi noted with surprise that it was the only smile she'd ever seen to rival Taemin's.

 

"Ah! Onew! You're Onew of SHINee, right?!"

 

He continued to smile and nodded. "I am..."