Three Down

Beside Her

 

Eunmi was waiting outside the school gates for Taemin. They'd walked out of school together, but he'd forgotten something in his locker and ran back to get it.

 

"Ah! It's Taemin's noona." She heard a female voice sneer from the right. She continued looking straight ahead, pretending she hadn't heard. Three girls surrounded her. Eunmi sighed on the inside. I really did want to avoid this, she thought.

 

"Stay away from Taemin. You've been hogging his attention. He belongs to everyone, not just you." The girl talking stood directly in front of her with her arms crossed. She would have been quite pretty if not for the fact that she was being a .

 

Eunmi was slightly shocked at what the girl had just said. "Belongs to everyone?" Eunmi repeated.

 

"Yeah. You think you can do anything 'cause you're foreign?" She'd practically spat when she said the last word. Oh, aren't you original? Eunmi was pretty good at zoning out when people tried to make her angry and that's exactly what she did now.

 

Eunmi was completely zoned out and didn't zone back into what was happening around her until she was slapped. Well, can't say I didn't try, and good thing I wore leggings under this skirt, she thought without remorse for what she was about to do.

 

Her head had snapped to the side when she'd been slapped. Eunmi slowly turned it to look at the girl once again. The girl looked satisfied and the other two girls were laughing. Eunmi smiled suddenly. The girls stopped laughing and the girl that had slapped her looked confused.

 

Eunmi slapped the girl using the back of her hand, considerably harder than the girl had been able to slap her. The girl fell with the force of it.

 

The other two girls reacted pretty fast and grabbed her hair, pulling down to try to get her on the ground. Eunmi kicked one in the stomach and grabbed the face of the other and pushed as hard as she could.

 

The first girl was still on the ground, staring at Eunmi wide-eyed. Eunmi squatted to be at eye-level with her. "You're in my English class right?" The girl nodded hesitantly. "During my self-introduction to the class, I forgot to mention that my mom sent me to Korea 'cause I was getting in too many fights back in America, didn't I? You really should be careful about taking on more than you can handle," Eunmi commented lightly. Eunmi patted the girl's cheek lightly. "Make sure to stay away from me from now on, okay?"

 

Eunmi stood up and was about to walk away, but turned back around when she thought of something else. "Contrary to what you seem to think, Taemin doesn't belong to anyone. Stay away from him, too, okay?" Eunmi only turned around and continued walking after she saw the girl nod quickly.