The New Kid

Beside Her

 

I hate being new, Eunmi thought to herself as she slipped into a chair somewhere between the middle and the back of the room, also known as the most unobtrusive seats in the class.

 

Everyone had glanced at her as she'd walked into the class, but upon confirming that they didn't know her, continued their conversations. Eunmi kept her headphones on and took out her phone to play Sudoku while she waited for the bell to ring.

 

Eunmi hated being new and so had made sure to come early to check in to the main office and ask them not to her to class. She'd found the class just fine on her own and she didn't want to have to do one of those self-introductions to the entire class.

 

Eunmi assumed the old guy with glasses that walked in the room a few minutes before the bell was the teacher, Mr. Kim from what her schedule said, so she put away her mp3 and phone. The bell rang and her assumption was confirmed when the man started to call roll. He finished without calling her name and Eunmi silently groaned. She knew what was coming.

 

Mr. Kim cleared his throat and announced, "Class, we have a new student joining us today. Miss Yong, would you please introduce yourself?"

 

Eunmi stood and bowed to the class. "Hello. I'm Yong Eunmi." She sat back down. Mr. Kim cleared his throat again, Eunmi had a feeling that was a habit of his, and asked, "Well, would you like to tell us anything about yourself?"

 

Eunmi smiled. "No," she simply said as she shook her head.

 

Mr. Kim cleared his throat. "Ok. Well. If you have any questions, ask me after class." And with that, he started teaching. It was English class, so Eunmi didn't need to pay attention since she'd been living in America for the past 8 years. She spent the class alternately doodling in her notebook and staring into space.

 

Eunmi knew Mr. Kim didn't have a very good first impression of her. She never gave teachers a good first impression because she learned from studying on her rather than listening in class and so she just never paid attention during class. Teachers always came to love her by the end of the year because of her grades.

 

Eunmi's next 2 classes went basically the same as the first. When the bell for lunch finally rang, Eunmi was relieved. She was already tired of teachers' assumptions about her. Her history teacher, Ms. Choi, had handed her the textbook at the end of class with a tight smile and said, "I don't know if you'll actually use the book, but just in case..." Talk about an ignorant case of preemptive judgment. I mean I did actually fall asleep in that class on my first day there so I don't blame her completely, but history is so boring...

 

She walked around the school looking for somewhere quiet to nap for lunch. Since she never actually ate lunch, she used the time for something her mom thought she enjoyed entirely too much: sleep. That unplanned nap in history hadn't been nearly enough.

 

Eunmi turned a corner in the hallway and frowned at the scene in front of her.

 

"Ya!" A big guy pushed a smaller guy against the wall. "Watch where you're going! You think you can disrespect your sunbae just 'cause you're an idol?!"

 

The smaller guy mumbled an apology and tried to walk away. The big guy grabbed the back of his collar before he got more than a step away and the other 3 guys crowded around them snickered.

 

"That's it?! I couldn't even hear you!"

 

Eunmi walked up to them as casually as possible. She smiled brightly at the small guy, her back turned to the other 3 guys. Now that she was close, she could see that he was an extremely pretty guy. His light brown hair was pretty long and his bangs had been covering his eyes, but now that she could see them, she saw that they were perfectly almond-shaped and doe-like. His mouth was a perfect bow and his jawline was a perfect V.

 

"Hi! I'm new. Mind showing me where the cafeteria is?"

 

He just stared at her for a second and then his eyes flickered to the big guy, then back to her. "Ah... Uh..."

 

A fan? Taemin thought in confusion. Show her to the cafeteria? Taemin glanced at Baehyul who was just as surprised as Taemin, but too occupied with checking her out to say anything. His friends were checking her out too.

 

She was beautiful. She definitely wasn't completely Korean. Her skin was a tan, caramel color. Her eyes were slanted at the corners, but otherwise huge and dark brown. Her hair was long, straight and brown. Taemin didn't look anywhere other than her face, but Baehyul and his friends seemed pleasantly distracted by her legs.

 

"Ah... Uh..." Taemin didn't know what to think, much less what to say. Her eyebrows rose at his non-reply, but her bright smile stayed in place.

 

"I can show you." Baehyul had finally come back to his senses.