hospital visit

Falling From the Sky

I watched Woohyun falling to the ground. A different part of me screamed out in anger and pain but the only thing I could do was approach Woohyun quickly and hope that he was okay. As I moved closer I saw that he was still conscious but wincing in pain. I bent down next to him, gently touching his bruised face.

For me he had done a lot of reckless things, had done everything I asked for him, and I never repaid him for any of it. I felt awful, disgusted with my own skin as tears were forced to cling to my eyelashes, making my vision blurry.

I took and held Woohyun’s hand tightly in my own, silently thanking him for everything that he’s ever done for me. He was the one person that has been protecting me this whole time, while I stood back and judged him for being the popular kid at school.

Finding the strength I wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pushed him to his feet. He needed to go to the hospital... he needed to be treated for his wounds... he needed something that he wouldn’t get by lying on the cold ground. I wanted to be the one that helped him the most, that stood by his side through it all, the one that held his hand through the pain... I supported his weight, taking it slow and gently so he wouldn’t quite as badly, but with every step his breathing became heavier... his weight a little heavier.

“Woohyun,” I whispered his name, begging him to at least make it to the hospital where he could get help. I searched around the place looking for help, but the streets seemed to be deserted now... when I needed someone the most.

“Aron,” I heard Woohyun’s pain filled voice, that broke my heart at the sound. I turned my head a little to look at him. His head was bent downwards... he didn’t even have the strength to hold his head up. “Aron,” Woohyun whispered again, this time more eagerly.

“I’m here Woohyun... I’m here...” I whispered back, holding him tighter to me. “Thank you Woohyun...” I wanted to keep talking to him, to let him know that I was right here... that I was always going to be beside him. “For protecting me...” Tears rose to my eyes again, threatening to drop down onto my cheeks again.

“Eh... Aron... Sarang...hae,” Woohyun’s voice came out stressed and very irregular. I wanted to return the gesture of love, but my mouth wasn’t able to form the words. Maybe it was the fear of losing Woohyun that made me pause... that made me more worried for Woohyun’s safety than my love for him.

“Shh Woohyun... We’re almost at the hospital... just hold on a little longer...araso?” I kept talking, wanting to make sure that Woohyun would get through it all... As we came closer to the hospital, nurses outside noticed us and quickly came to help. Woohyun was quickly taken away by a wheelchair and I was left to follow them. They rolled Woohyun immediately into the back of the hospital... making me wait outside to wait for the diagnoses.

I took a seat just outside the doors, but instantly got up again to pace around. I was too nervous to stay in one place for very long. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket several times before I finally pulled it out and answered it.

“Hello?” I called into the phone, my voice high pitched and scared sounding to my own ears.

“Aron? Where are you? We’ve been trying to call you for the past hour!” JR spoke into the speaker. I sighed as I continued to pace down the corridor of the hallway.

“Excuse me sir! You can’t be on your phone in the hospital!” A nurse complained as she walked by. I bowed.

“Your in the hospital?” JR’s worried voice came over the speaker.

“It’s not me...I’m fine. It’s Woohyun...” I managed to say Woohyun’s name with only a little waver of my voice. I heard shuffling on the other side.

“We’ll be there soon,” JR said before hanging up the phone. I put away my phone as I continued to pace the hallway. I could feel my hands shaking in my pockets, but that didn’t stop me from continuing to pace.

Eventually I pulled my hands out of my pockets, finding dried blood on them. I stared at my hands for a while. It was Woohyun’s blood on my hands... I had caused this for him... If we had nothing to do with each other he would be perfectly safe... he wouldn’t be hurting as he was now...

I walked slowly down the hallway to a men’s restroom. I moved quickly to the sink and ran my hands under hot water, rubbing off the dried blood slowly. My mind was numb... It wouldn’t let anything sink in... my body felt cold and heartless... Woohyun’s pain was on my hands... that was the only thing I could comprehend.

As I returned to the hallway I found even more nurses huddled in the hallway, looking at sheets of paper. One of the nurses looked up as I walked by her and she stopped me.

“You brought in that young man right?” She asked. I nodded slowly, looking over her briefly. “Do you know him close enough to register him?” She asked.

“All I know is his name... and what school he goes to...” The question took me off guard... I didn’t even really know Woohyun... he didn’t even really know me.

“That should be enough... can you follow me?” The nurse led the way back down the hallway, to a office area. She told me to sit in a chair across from the desk.

“Do you know anything about his diagnoses yet?” I asked the nurse. She looked at me closely, her eyes warm with pity.

“I’m afraid I don’t... the doctor should be out soon...” She explained. I nodded and let her continue with the registering procedures. She asked me several questions... a lot of them I couldn’t answer. After fifteen minutes of non-stop questions the nurse finally released me to go back to the hallway to wait for Woohyun, but instead of finding the doctor I found JR, Ren, Minhyun, and Baekho waiting for me.

“Aron!” They came running towards me, not caring about the nurses that were yelling at them to stop running. They all looked over me closely, making sure that I was hurt. “What happened? Why is Woohyun in the hospital?” Baekho asked.

“We were on our way to the amusement park... and these guys started attacking... Woohyun took all the hits and didn’t let any of them come after me...” I paused as I sobbed slightly, remembering the scene clearly. “He wouldn’t attack back because I told him that I didn’t like violence,” I covered my mouth, tears clearly pouring down my face now. I felt a hand on my back, gently reassuring me that everything would be ok.

“It’s not your fault, Aron,” Ren was able to say the one thing that had been on my mind... It was obviously my fault... I had caused this for Woohyun... “It isn’t your fault...do you hear me?” Ren became even more serious, as if he could read my mind.

“Come on... let’s sit and wait,” JR led us all to a bench. I still didn’t have the patience to sit but I was forced to sit on the bench between Ren and Baekho... constantly being reminded that it wasn’t my fault...

After another fifteen minutes of waiting a doctor finally walked into the hallway.

“Are you Woohyun’s friends?” The doctor asked us. We nodded slowly, all rising to hear what he had to say. “Do any of you know how to contact his family?” He asked, not revealing anything to us. We shook our heads slowly. “Normally I don’t do this... but since your the only people here for him... Woohyun is stable and is healing rather quicker than expected. He is sleeping right now...but he has a few broken ribs and some small cuts and bruises... I’ll allow you to go see him but don’t bother him too much,” The doctor bowed slightly before moving down the hallway towards the office.

“Kamsamnida doctor-nim,” I said as another nurse appeared to lead us to Woohyun’s hospital room. We followed slowly after the nurse, preparing ourselves to see Woohyun in a bad state. The nurse left us outside Woohyun’s room. I stared inside the window, finding Woohyun lying in a bed surrounded by machines.

“Go in,” JR pushed me towards the door. I slowly lifted my hand to the door knob, but paused to look back at them. “We will go get some coffee and then we will be back,” JR smiled before pushing everyone else back down a hallway. I looked back at the door, inhaling deeply, then opening the door.

I stared at Woohyun once I was alone inside the room. The machines were making loud beeping noises but Woohyun was very still, the only thing moving was his chest from his deep breathing. I slowly moved forward again, sitting in a chair by the bed. I took Woohyun’s hand in my own once more.

“Woohyun, I’m here...” I whispered slowly. No movement came from him... “I’m so sorry,” I bowed my head, looking away from him. I wasn’t sure how to face him even when he was asleep. “I’m sorry I didn’t trust in your feelings for me from the beginning... I’m sorry that this happened to you...” I sobbed. There were so many things that I was sorry for that I didn’t want to stop apologizing but before I could continue the door to the hospital room opened.

An older woman walked in, her gray and black hair tied up in a bun, suited in a form fitting black dress and heels. A frown was placed on her face after seeing me there.

“Who are you?” The woman asked. I let go of Woohyun’s hand and bowed.

“I’m Aron Kwak...” I introduced myself. The lady looked from me to the man laying on the bed.

“How do you know my son?” She asked even more slowly.

“I-I... go to the same school as Woohyun...” I explained slowly... looking at the woman differently. This was the mother of Nam Woohyun... the man who confessed his love for me... She looked proper and rich... and she looked at me like a bug on a windshield. Before anything else could be said between the two of us the door opened once more.

JR, Baekho, Ren, and Minhyun walked in with cups of coffee in their hands. Their faces immediately turned dark and un-trusting to the woman who appeared out of no where. “Who are they?” The elderly woman asked me. I looked behind her to my friends.

“They are also classmates of Woohyun and I,” I said slowly. She nodded before moving to her son’s bedside.

“You were the one who brought Woohyun to the hospital?” She asked. I nodded again. She bent down to take her son’s hand in hers before looking back at me again.

“Thank you,” The woman gave a small smile, and she gave me a small smile with a trusting look. I was shocked. I was sure this would play out like some dramas...where the mom would hate the girl that her son loved... I sighed in relief that I wasn’t going to be in a real life drama with a rich looking woman.

“We’ll leave you alone,” I bowed and pushed my friends out of the room. I felt relieved once I was away from the room. I didn’t know how to react to seeing Woohyun’s mom... I felt awkward...knowing that her son loved me.


 

so I finally updated this...

I tried to make it a longer chapter... and more interesting then the past few to make up for my absence

I hope you enjoy :]

 

imageimage