CHAPTER 3

Kiss the Rain

“I’m sorry Ms. Park. I shouldn’t have left her alone.”

“It’s not your fault Mr. Lee and don’t worry my grandparents aren’t going to fire you.”

“But I was supposed to keep an eye on her. Now she’s missing.” Mr. Lee bends forward on his seat and buries his face in his hands.

Bom stands by Mr. Lee’s side and pats his shoulder, “She’ll come back. She always does.”

Mr. Lee looks up at Bom, “What do you mean by that?”

“Mr. Lee, you’ve known Dara and I since we were little kids until we moved to Maryland. But we've grown up and Dara is different now. She’s not the little Sandara you used to know. You’ve been very loyal to our family for so many years. I wonder why grandma and grandpa didn’t tell you the reason why she’s been acting that way. But ever since you know…” Bom trailed off.

“I know. It’s okay Ms. Park. I understand. It’s hard for them seeing their sweet lovable granddaughter as an emotionless girl. How are your parents doing?”

“They thought sending Sandara back here to Korea will ease her pain. But they were wrong. I’m really trying my best to help her.”

Mr. Lee pats Bom’s hand, “You really love your sister.”

“I do.” Bom nods her head. “That’s why I came here with her. I can’t leave her alone. She needs me.”

“You said she always comes back?”

“Yes Mr. Lee, she always does. We just got back here a month ago. So this is her first run away here in Korea. But back in Maryland she always does this once or twice a month. She’s been doing this for six months now. The first time she ran away my parents and I were really worried and afraid for her safety. We called the police and searched for her everywhere. We thought she did something to herself. After a couple of days she returned home safely. She acted like nothing happened. The psychiatrist said that was Sandara’s way of coping. You know for her depression.” Bom’s voice was sad. “Running away…” She sighs.


“Ms. Park?” Mr. Lee hands her his handkerchief.

“I know my Ssantoki is itching to break out of that sad body of hers. I’m really praying hard that she’ll get better. I miss her dorkiness. I miss laughing with her. I miss seeing her bright smile. Sandara come back!” Bom weeps into the handkerchief.





-------------------------------------------------




Sandara was groggy trying to sit up. She looks around the unfamiliar room. The room was poorly lit. She couldn’t see clearly. Her head was aching and felt very dry. Where am I?

“You’re awake!”

Someone flicked the lights on. Bright lights shined above the bed. Sandara squinted her eyes. Too bright! She quickly hid underneath the covers. She felt someone sit beside her. That person tugged on the bed sheet cover.

“I’m Chaerin. Don’t be afraid. I’m not going to kill you.” She giggled.

Sandara slowly removed the bed sheet cover and looked at the girl sitting in front of her. Baddest female?

Chaerin saw Sandara staring at the words printed on her black t-shirt. She grinned, “I’m C L the one and only baddest female!”

Sandara coughed suppressing herself from laughing out loud. She’s funny. And I don’t wanna mess with this bad girl.

“Here drink some water.” Chaerin hands Sandara a glass of water from the bed stand table.

Sandara drank the water. It helped quench her thirst and dry throat. Her eyes scanned Chaerin’s huge room. The bright lights only shined around the bed area but everywhere else in the room was dark. Her eyes returned back to the girl sitting in front of her. I need to leave now.

“So, what’s your name?” Chaerin sits closer to Sandara.

Silence. Why is she looking at me like that? Sandara shakes her head. If I tell her my name she’s going to send me back home. She starts rubbing her temples. 

“My head hurts.”


“OMO! You lost your memory! OMO! You don’t even remember your own name! OMO!” Chaerin jumps up from her bed. She paces back and forth.

Again Sandara fought hard not to laugh. Aiggo this girl! I think it would be cool having her as a friend. Wait? Huh? What am I thinking? She shakes her head once more.

“OPPA!!!!!” Chaerin yells at the top of her lungs.

Suddenly a young man barges into the room startling Sandara. “What’s wrong Chaerin? Is she okay?”

Sandara couldn’t really see the young man that barged into the room. All she could see was that he was tall and slightly built. He stood near the door and Chaerin approached him.

“Uh, I’m sorry. Did I scare you?” 

She saw him bow his head before gently grabbing his sister’s elbow, “Chaerin-ah you scared the crap out of me the way you yelled.”’


Sandara stared at the siblings. She felt a pinch in her heart and quickly removed her eyes from the two. Make me invisible. She slid back underneath the covers. Silence for a few moments before someone tugged on her bed sheet. She knew who it was.

“Do you want us to call the doctor?” Chaerin tugged again.

“No!” Sandara quickly sat up.

Seung Hyun and Chaerin both looked at each other then back at Sandara. Confusion was written all over their faces from Sandara’s outburst.

“Sorry.” Sandara softly said.

“What do you want us to do for you?” He steps closer to the bed.

Sandara’s eyes widen and her heart fluttered. I’M DEAD! This is a dream oh no! This isn’t real! Wake up Sandara! No! I really am dead? He’s not real! Wake up now! She shuts her eyes and hides underneath the covers again.

Chaerin gets up and Seung Hyun sits beside Sandara. He tugs on the cover. Sandara thinks Chaerin is tugging the covers again, “Stop it Chaerin.”

Seung Hyun pulls the cover off and Sandara’s eyes locks with his. Her eyes become watery. He embraces Sandara into his arms. 


She sobs in his chest, “You.”


Seung Hyun whispers on top of her head, “Me.”