CHAPTER 6

Kiss the Rain

“I’m ready.”

What the hell? Chaerin looks up at Seung Hyun then back at Sandara. She's wearing the outfit they found her in. Sandara’s face is hidden underneath her black hoodie. I didn’t know she would be an emo type of girl. Aigoo! I laid out a cute outfit for her to wear. What a waste! I should have burned that outfit instead of washing and drying them. Chaerin opens but Seung Hyun quickly covers knowing she’ll say something silly. She struggles to break free from his hand.

“Chaerin will be staying home.”

Chaerin bites Seung Hyung’s hand. Sandara softly laughs underneath her hood. Seung Hyun frowns while he shook his hand. Chaerin clicks her tongue, “I’m coming with you two!”

“No, you’re staying home.”

“Oppa!” She whined.

“Chaerin.” Seung Hyun said with authority.

“Oppa…..” She pleaded.

“No, Chaerin.”

“Oppa…” Chaerin continued to whine with pleading eyes.

“I said ‘No’.” 

“Please oppa!”

Sandara sighs. This will go on forever. She might as well come. I do like her even though she can be a bit scary. “You can come.”

Chaerin face brights up and she attacks Sandara into her arms, “I LOVE YOU UNNIE!!!!”

“Cant. Breathe. Chaerin. I. Need. Air.”

Chaerin did not hear Sandara’s muffle plea in her arms. Seung Hyun gently tugs Chaerin’s right arm away and pulls Sandara to his side. He protectively wraps his arm over Sandara’s shoulder, “Chaerin-ah you’re hurting her again.”

“Oops! I’m sorry oppa! I didn’t mean too! Sorry unnie…” Chaerin reaches her hand out stepping closer to Sandara.

Seung Hyun had a serious look on his face. He blocks Chaerin and moves Sandara behind him, “Don’t squeeze her.”

“I won’t.”

Sandara peeked her head around Seung Hyun, “It’s ok Chaerin. I don’t mind you hugging me but not too tight okay?”

Chaerin nods her head. She pushes Seung Hyun but he doesn’t move, “Oppa move! I want to hold unnie’s hand! You have to share!” She pouts then giggles. An idea dings in her head and she smiles.

“I know!” 

Seung Hyun saw her mischievous smile. He covers again. She mumbles something in his hand. His cheeks flush red. Sandara looked up at Seung Hyun then back at Chaerin’s smiling chinky eyes. What’s up with them? Seung Hyun looks cute when he blushes. He looks good without his glasses. I could see those eyes… I like him. OOPS! What am I thinking? Sandara’s heart flutters. She puts her hand over her chest.

“What’s wrong unnie?”

Sandara could feel Seung Hyun’s eyes staring at her. She doesn’t have to look up to see he was looking. She could feel it, “Nothing. Let’s go.”

Chaerin grabs Sandara’s hand and pulls her out the front door. Seung Hyun shadows the two girls.





-------------------------------------------------








“So unnie….” Chaerin gently squeezes Sandara’s hand, “Do you have….”

“Chaerin!”

“Yah! Why you yelling oppa?” Chaerin glares at her brother through the rear view mirror. He was driving while Sandara and her sat at the back. “I was only going to ask her if she had siblings. What were you thinking I was going to ask her, huh?” She raised a brow at her brother.Too paranoid I tell ya. Just trying to help him geez.

“Nothing.”

“So unnie?” Chaerin faces Sandara. Sandara was looking out the window with her head resting back on the seat. She tugged on Sandara’s hoodie to get her attention, “Unnie do you have siblings?”

“Yes.” 

“How many?”

“2.”

“Do you have a brother and a sister? Or only brothers? Or only sisters? I’ve always wanted a sister.”

“A brother and a sister.”

“What are their names?”

“Sang Hyun and Bom.”

“How old are they?”

Silence. Seung Hyun looked up at the rear view mirror. Chaerin was waiting for Sandara to answer. Chaerin and I are going to have a serious talk when we get home. She shouldn’t bug Sandara with all those questions. Poor girl she must be tired still.

“Unnie?”

Tears were streaming down Sandara’s cheeks underneath her hood. She didn’t want to continue the conversation. She closed her eyes.

“Unnie?” Chaerin squeezed her hand.

“Chaerin stop interrogating her. Maybe she’s still tired. Let her rest.”

Chaerin didn’t want to argue, “Okay oppa. I’m sorry.”

-------------------------------------------------







“Unnie! We’re here!”

Seung Hyun opens the door. Chaerin pulls Sandara out of the car. Chaerin looks up at Sandara’s elegant modern victorian style mansion.Her place is bigger than our mansion. Or maybe the same? I don’t really care. I want her to be my sister! A beautiful girl runs out of the mansion. Her light brown long hair shined under the sun’s light as she ran towards them. She was wearing a black jean shorts and a red t-shirt that read ‘Don’t Touch’. Wow she’s really pretty! She must be Bom, her sister.

“DARA!”

Bom embraces Sandara and plants a kiss on her forehead. Sandara tugs her hood forward, “Bommie unnie.”

“Thank you for bringing her home safely!” Bom slightly bows to Seung Hyun and Chaerin.

“You’re welcome! You must be her sister!” Chaerin smiled, “I’m Chaerin Choi and this is my oppa, Seung Hyun.”

“I’m Bom Park. And yes I’m Sandara’s sister.”

“How old are you?”

“I’m just a year older than Sandara. But we act more like twins if I say so myself.” She giggles.

Really? Sandara unnie looks uh emo and Bom unnie looks uh more of a y fashionista. Hmm something is not right here. Wait. “Where’s Sang Hyun?”

Bom looks at Sandara who had her head hung low. She looks back at Chaerin. How did she know my brother’s name? I don’t think she really knows about him. “How do you know our brother?”

“Oh! I asked unnie what your names were earlier in the car. But she really didn’t answer all my questions about you guys ‘coz she fell asleep.”

Bom nods her head. She wraps her arm around Sandara’s arm and looks at her with concern eyes. Ssantoki I missed you. These people were very nice to take you home.

“Chaerin shhh. I apologize Bom noona for my little sister’s non-stop talking. Again I’m sorry we’ll be leaving now.”

Bom’s eyes widen when she stared into Seung Hyun’s eyes. Omo! His eyes! I’ve seen them before! “Please stay! I still want to talk to you guys. You don’t know how happy I am that my sister was safe under your care. Please I insist you two stay.”

“We’ll take your offer!”

“Chaerin!” Seung Hyun glares at his sister. But she ignores him and brushes pass him to Bom. She takes Bom and Sandara’s hands.

“I’ve always wanted sisters!”

Bom laughs. She walks hand in hand with Chaerin into the mansion. Sandara still kept her head low as she followed them. She paused in the middle of the door and let go of Chaerin’s hand. She turned around, “You coming?”

Seung Hyun broke a small smile and nodded his head. He quickly followed Sandara into her home.

-------------------------------------------------





“I know it’s in here! Where are you?” Bom furiously searched her drawers. It’s a good thing I kept it. My sister is crazy for destroying all her other things. I know I saw those eyes in that book. Where is it?!? Bom pulled open the last drawer in her cabinet. A black thick leather sketchbook was sitting neatly on the bottom of the drawer. It looked more like an encyclopedia of how thick the book was. On the cover of the sketch book read ‘SANDARA PARK’. Here it is! She pulls the book out and sits on her bed. Bom skims through the pages and stops. She brushes her fingers lightly across a drawing. It’s him. These eyes belong to him. She was happy when she drew this. This was her last entry before…. Bom shuts the book.

“He’ll make her happy. I know he will. He’ll bring her smile back.”