CHAPTER 19

Kiss the Rain

"Oppa..." Chaerin whispers to herself. She's watching Seung Hyun sit quietly in front of their grand piano. She's standing by the door frame a couple feet from him. He doesn't notice her presence because his back is facing her. It's been an hour since Seung Hyun took a seat in front of the piano. Three months has gone by...Dad stayed back in Korea because of Grandpa...Mom and I moved out here with Oppa to get away and also for him to recover from his accident...he's been struggling with his sessions with the psychiatrist. It's really frustrating for him not being able to remember what happened to him this past six months. The psychiatrist continuously reminds him not to think too hard of remembering the past because the stress and frustration will just drive him insane. To be honest he's already going crazy in his mind. I've been trying my best in helping relieve his stress with his memory by telling him stories of what we did when he returned back from Maryland which to his delight made him very happy. My stories did actually help trigger his memories and he did recall a few of our bonding moments a few months ago...but I'm forbidden to talk about Sandara unnie or why Grandpa hurt him.... My parents don't understand that keeping this BIG secret is really messing up my Oppa's mind and heart. It really is a MAJOR part of his life and memory that we're holding back from him. It's unfair. I really am sorry oppa. But don't worry just say the magic word and I'll tell you everything. I don't care about the consequence that our parents threaten me with if I told you the truth. Your happiness is my happiness oppa. Chaerin slowly walks up behind Seung Hyun.

"Oppa? Why don't you place a musical piece for me? I miss hearing you play the piano. It's been awhile."

Seung Hyun turns his head and looks up at Chaerin. He smiles a half hearted smile at his little sister, "Sorry, Chaerin."

Chaerin sits next to him on the bench, "Why are you apologizing? It's okay oppa. I didn't mean to pressure you in remembering a musical piece. I just thought maybe you still remember a few pieces. I'm the one that's suppose to be apologizing..not you oppa." She smiles.

"No, that's not what I mean. I'm saying sorry because I feel guilty for depriving you of your happiness of being with your friends back in Korea. It's because of me we had to move out here to England and you had to leave your friends back home. Now you're stuck with your crazy oppa that can't remember what happened to him in the last 6 months after the accident. I'm really sorry Chaerin. You're sacrificing alot to be here with me. I'll ask Mom and Dad to send you back to Korea. I'm fine here alone. You don't have to stay with me." Seung Hyun looks down at his hands on his lap.

Chaerin places her left hand on top of his hand, "Oppa, don't say that." It's actually the opposite. I should be the one saying those words and not you. Gosh! Please don't cry Chaerin. Be strong for your oppa. Hang in there! "I'm not going anywhere, oppa."

Seung Hyun looks at his sister, "You really love your crazy oppa huh?"

"Yes I do! You're the best CRAZY OPPA any sister could have! You'll get better oppa, I know you're a fighter. I know you hate the words I'm going to say next because you've been hearing it so often from everybody else but seriously coming from me your cute fierce little sister you'll listen to me." She smiles. "Don't force your memories to come back. They'll all fall into place when the right time comes. Just give it time. And like what the psychiatrist continues to tell you if it doesn't come back just think of the present and future. Make new memories. Happy memories. We don't live in the past but the present. Cheer up oppa, I know you're going to be happy soon. I'll be by your side no matter what happens to you. I LOVE YOU OPPA!" Chaerin wraps her arms around Seung Hyun's neck and pecks a kiss on his cheek.

He hugs her back and squeezes her in his arms. Thank God I have a little sister like her that loves me as much as I love her. I don't know what I'd do if she wasn't here by my side through this difficult stage of my life. I know I can talk to her about how I feel. She's a much better psychiatrist than my personal psychiatrist. Seung Hyun let's go of her, "Chaerin? I have something to tell you. I've been keeping this to myself. I really don't feel comfortable telling my psychiatrist this. I don't even think going to those sessions are even helping me out. You my little sister I trust with my whole life."

Chaerin tilts her head, "What are you going to tell me, oppa?"

"I've been having dreams. Not sure but I believe they're memories manifesting themselves in my dreams. It's like I have a million pieces of jig saw puzzles scattered all over my brain. I just need to piece them all together."

"How long have you been having these dreams?"

Seung Hyun lightly place his right hand over the piano keys in front of him. He hesistates. Then presses a key, "Since they discharged me from the hospital." He plays a few more keys.

Chaerin looks down at his hands playing the piano. "So you've been having dreams for 3 months now? What have you pieced together?"

"Promise me, you won't tell our parents or my psychiatrist? It's only between you and me. Will you help me Chaerin?" He stops playing the piano and looks at Chaerin with pleading eyes.

"I promise oppa! I really do want to help you. It's hard putting a puzzle together alone especially if you got a million pieces to put together." She giggles at his metaphor with his memories and jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Seung Hyun messes Chaerin's hair, "Thank you Chaerin-ah for your patience..." He smiles at her then starts randomly playing some keys on the piano, "Everyday my dreams are always different. Not sure if they're for different moments in my life in the last six months but lately I've been having almost the same dream. Man, I know I sound confusing but I think I'm getting somewhere with my dreams. The beautiful angel that was in my hospital room when I woke up. I never asked you guys about her until today." He abruptly stops playing the piano and looks back at Chaerin. "Who is she? And why is she always in my dreams? When I first started having my dreams she was never really clear in them. But she was always there...and this past month I finally pieced her together. I remember who she was because I saw her at the hospital. Tell me Chaerin why was she there in my hospital room? I'm not sure what happened when I woke up because it all felt like a dream-like state for me. I opened my eyes and saw the most beautiful angel in my life. I remember seeing that beautiful angel before back in Maryland then at the hospital. I don't understand. Is she real? In one of my dreams I saw her drenched and wet laying on the side of the road...I picked her up in my arms...then in another dream I was chasing after her in a forest.....Chaerin, I don't get these pieces of my dream...she doesn't seem real but she was there at the hospital when I woke up...."


YES OPPA! You said the magic words! I'll tell you who she is! Chaerin wraps her arms around his neck again. She's over joyed with happiness. 

"Chaerin...you're choking your oppa." He gingerly unwraps her arms from his neck. "You know her?"

Just when Chaerin was about to answer Seung Hyun their mother enters the room. They both look at her direction, "Chaerin. Seung Hyun." She walks towards them.

Seung Hyun stands up from his seat and Chaerin follows. 

"Seung Hyun, your Uncle Yang Goon would like you to visit him in Maryland." She's finally standing in front of the two siblings.

"When will we be leaving?"

Mrs. Choi shakes her head, "It's only you that will be leaving. Chaerin and I will be joing your father back in Korea. You're only visiting him for a couple weeks then you'll come back home to us. Your father and I just want you to relax before returning back to Korea."

Chaerin looks at her mother then back at Seung Hyun. Mom sure does know how to ruin the good news I was going to give oppa about Sandara unnie. And she thought by sending oppa away from me will stop him from finding out. Well she doesn't know that Sandara unnie and Seung Hyun oppa first met in Maryland. Teehee. I must prepare for a long lecture later on from my mother. She steps closer to her mother and takes her hand, "When is oppa leaving?"

"Today."

Seung Hyun's eyes widen, "Why so sudden? When did you plan this?"

Just today oppa. Gosh mother has bionic ears. She's always paranoid everytime we're together. Afraid I'll crack and tell you the truth. Well I guess this was really cutting it close and she had to divert your attention and confusion somewhere else. And that somewhere is Maryland. Woohoo! This is will be very interesting...ring ring ring? Destiny sure is calling. Hahaha. Chaerin giggles. Seung Hyun and Mrs. Choi both raise a brow at Chaerin.

"What's so funny Chaerin? You're not going to miss your oppa?" Seung Hyun pouts his lips making Chaerin laugh out loud.

"Oppa! You're puppy pouting lips always cracks me up!"

Mrs. Choi interrupts the siblings, "I just thought of suprising you with the good news. I know you also miss your uncle. Plus afterwards you'll be back in Korea. I know you've been wanting to go back home. So suprise! Hope you love the good news!"

I sure do! Oppa is going to Maryland! Chaerin quickly covers stopping herself from laughing out loud again. This is exciting!

Seung Hyun smiles and hugs Mrs. Choi, "Thanks Mom! I can't wait to see Uncle Yang Goon. What time is my flight?"

"In 2 hours, go change now. I already had the maids pack some of your clothes that you'll be bringing with you." She ushers him to go out. He stops midway of the room and turns around.

"Wait, Chaerin, come follow me to my room. I still need to talk to you."

Mrs. Choi waves her hand, "No. No. No. Chaerin still has dance lessons to attend to. Oh! Look at the time. She's going to be late. Now go hug your brother and we'll be seeing you in a couple weeks."

Chaerin looks at her brother. She knows he wants to know her answers to his questions but their mother is preventing them from talking to each other one last time before he leaves. It's all part of her plan. She shrugs her shoulders. Don't worry oppa, you'll find out the truth. Your heart will help bring back your memories once you see your beautiful angel. She quickly runs up to Seung Hyun and hugs him. She whispers into his ears, "Love you oppa! You'll be happy soon! Don't forget about your angel."

Before Seung Hyun could speak and question Chaerin about her last word. She was quickly ushered out of the room by her mother leaving him alone. After three minutes she returns, "Seung Hyun, don't just stand there. Go on up to your room. Your sister said her 'good-bye' to you already. I'll take you to the airport. And while you're with your uncle just have fun. You don't have to think about me or your sister. Meaning don't call us or email. We want to hear about your vacation when you get back. It'll be more exciting for us to hear your story all together that's why I don't want you to call or email us. Enjoy your vacation okay?"

Seung Hyun's head starts to hurt, "Yes, Mom. I'll have fun." Something is wrong with this picture. But I can't wait to see Uncle Yang Goon.





-------------------------------------------------








Bom finds Sandara laying on her stomach on their living room floor. She's too engrossed in her drawing that she doesn't notice Bom enter the room.

"Sandara?"

She looks up for a moment from her sketchbook, "Unnie." Then she looks back down and continues to draw. Bom takes a seat on the couch across from Sandara. She quietly watches her. After ten minutes, Sandara puts her pencil down and closes her sketchbook, "Thank you for giving back my sketchbook."

Bom smiles, "Thank you too for agreeing with my deal. I'm happy that we're at peace now. No more problems. Our family is happy."

She nods her head, "I'm glad to be back with our parents and being home again. Lots of happy memories in this house. I could still imagine Sang Hyun laying on that couch playing with his PSP." Sandara looks up at the ceiling. Sang Hyun, I miss you. Please help your Bom noona open her eyes and allow me to be happy with Seung Hyun.

Bom's cellphone rings. She excuses herself and leaves Sandara alone in the living room. After she walks out, Sandara sits up and opens her sketchbook. She flips back to the first drawing she drew of Seung Hyun after she first met him at the toy store. Seung Hyun... She flips through more pages. She drew alot of sketches of Seung Hyun. All different facial expressions of his that she could remember when she was with him. Sandara smiles at every drawing she flips through. I'm sorry unnie. But I'm not keeping my promise with our deal. I'm finding a way to find Seung Hyun. I know you don't fully trust me being alone that's why you have Joon by my side almost 24/7 when you're not around. It's really difficult trying to search a person when you're constantly being guarded. I know you're just protecting me from getting hurt but Bommie unnie...you just have to trust me. I'm different now. I'm a stronger and tougher Sandara. It's all because of Seung Hyun. Her fingers lightly trace the lines of Seung Hyun's eyes in her sketchbook.

"Sandara!"

Sandara jumps and quickly shuts her book. Bom walks back into the room with a huge grin on her face. Sandara lets out a sigh of relief that Bom didn't see her sketchbook. She's been keeping it away from Bom and Joon's sight. She has two sketchbooks. One that she shows and allows the two to see. The other one she keeps privately to herself which was the sketchbook Bom returned back to her. She stands up and walks over to Bom, "What's up?"

"Joon just asked my permission and our parent's if he can take you out this afternoon. You should go with him and stop lounging around on the floor doing nothing. It's a beautiful day. Go out and have fun!" She playfully winks at Sandara.

Sandara rolls her eyes. Yipee! I'm going out with my bodyguard. I love Joonie as a friend. He's a great guy really... But my gosh... my unnie is really pushing it with him. Even though my sister is like that I really don't mind hanging out with Joonie. He makes me laugh like old times. I just wish he could help me but I don't know if I can trust him again...argh...frustrating but I can do this. Fighting! "So where is he taking me to?"

"I don't know? He said where ever your feet will take you guys because he wants you to enjoy the weather outside. Breathe in some fresh air and escape being locked up in this house."

Wow! Joonie reading my mind eh? I do want to be free... Sandara looks at her watch, "So what time will he be coming over?"

"In about 5 minutes." Bom's eyes wanders down to Sandara's sketchbook in her hand. She's still holding onto him. I really can't wait for the day to come when she gets rid of that sketchbook. That'll be the day Joon wins her heart.

"Omo! I better go change! I'll be done in a few minutes." Sandara runs past Bom and heads up to her bedroom.

-------------------------------------------------





"Uncle Yang Goon!"

Seung Hyun embraces his uncle and pats his back. His uncle helps him take his luggage to his car, "How are you boy? How's your hard head?"

"It's alright. It's still hard as rock. Man, it really doesn't feel like months since I've been here. It feels like it was just yesterday that I was talking to you about maybe attending college here. Lots of things happened to me during those months that I can't even remember. Do you think there's a reason why I lost my memory? I mean it's very strange like before I wasn't sure with my decision then about staying here and leaving Grandpa back in Korea when he had all these dreams for me. Now it's like back to square one...de ja vu? Like I'm given a second chance to decide again because I'm free to decide. Grandfather spoke to me over the phone and told me I could do anything I want to do that will make myself happy. I don't have to think about our family business unless I want to. It's a big relief that grandfather is allowing me to decide for myself. I'm starting all over again but something is missing. I really can't pin point it but maybe I'll find out while I'm here." Seung Hyun opens the passenger door and takes a seat.

Yang Goon starts his car, "You look very happy that you finally got your freedom. I saw the dilemma you were in the last time you visited. I know how my father was so controlling with our lives but everything changed after your accident. He realized a lot of things and he was close to loosing you. You really should live your life. You're young and you shouldn't be too serious 24/7. Gosh when I saw you before you looked older than me with your serious attitude. Now you look youthful again...who's the lucky girl?" He winks at him.

Lucky girl? A quick flashback of the beautiful angel smiling at him. My angel... He smiles, "Uncle?"

"Yes Seung Hyun?" Yang Goon took a quick glance at Seung Hyun while driving.

"When we get to your place...is it okay if I take a walk? I know I just arrived and you might think I'm jetlag but I'm not tired at all. I just want to take a short walk and I'll be back in an hour or so."

"Sure, I'll give you my spare phone. Just call me if anything happens to you while you take your walk. You still know your way around here?"

"Yep, I didn't forget that." Seung Hyun turns his head and stares out the window. What a beautiful day to go walking. He smiles.