III

My Lovely Captain

 

You're/Captain Jane POV

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of my ear blazing alarm and I tiredly pressed on it to stop. I shifted to face my sister who seems to still be in dream land as she quietly snores but loud enough for me to hear. I yawned and stretched my arms out carefully trying to avoid my sleeping Ailee and then I got up from the bed and made my way to the shower room. It’s another day, another day to put up that tough facade of a young captain, I always wonder how I got to this spot in just a span of 5 years. It wasn’t because of my appa’s position and I’m sure of that. I guess it was merely the fact that I’m just suited for this and I fitted in that category of the scary owner that boss around her little dogs.

I faced the mirror and reflected on myself. I’m head to toe downright gorgeous, yeah no joke and even I had a hard time convincing myself that. Maybe having an annoying sister to tell you how perfect you are everyday seem to grow on you. I’m not bragging though, just stating the fact.

I got out of the shower stall after taking a quick rinse of cold running water. This was our daily routine and no one living in this military campsite ever took shower in warm water. Unless you’re a princess, you don’t get that special treatment. Although when winter comes of course we have warm water to shower in except you had to boil that for yourself, which I am just too damn lazy to do.

Finally dressed up in my uniform, I headed out of my room leaving my sister who was dead asleep on my bed drooling like a waterfall was created inside . I walked under the sun and was greeted by several colleagues who were running as a group doing their daily exercise. I wasn’t a morning person and I prefer to exercise at night sweating while the cool breeze blow on you, best feeling. I stopped in my tracks as I saw my appa come towards me. I bowed at him as he nodded his head slightly.

“General, what can I assist you with?” I formally asked my appa. Since he doesn’t like showing informality while at work and so as much as I hate acting like this, I had to continue.

“Captain Han, I would like to speak with you privately, please follow me” appa excused himself and walked towards his office. I trailed behind him while wracking my brain for a bunch of excuses I could make for myself since I know he will ask me about Ailee again, urggh if I only I didn’t care for my sister that much.

I entered appa’s office, sat and crossed my legs on the chair in front of his desk while he grabbed a cup of coffee for the both of us. Hmmm something's quite strange... appa never offers me coffee since he knows I don’t tolerate it well, I'm guessing this will be a long day.

“Appa what did you want to talk about quite early in the morning?” I curiously asked as he heaved a heavy sigh and looked at me quite apologetic, I don’t like where this is going...

“Jane, I’m assigning you to train a new set of group who will be serving their 2 year mandatory service this weekend, I trust that you take full care of them and not lead them to insanity” my appa eyed me, I rolled my eyes at him and chuckled.

“Appa those so-called men that came here to serve for their country were all bunch of whiny little girls who can’t guard and protect their mother land, they deserved what they went through. It wasn’t my fault they couldn’t handle my training techniques, I mean they couldn’t even handle climbing up 100 metres above ground level” I scoffed at that fact because it was true, the last batch which finally left last year was all a group of rich spoiled brats and I mean this is a base for the elites but talk about stress. For a 24 year old, I could easily pass being an ahjumma.

“Well I’m sure you’re going to love your new lot of boys, don’t worry, it’s not going to surpass your rule of no more than 20 males. This time it’s completely less than 10, more to your liking it’s just 7 boys” appa slightly smiled at his news but I was a bit confused. I tilted my head to the side and asked my appa to clear my pending curiosity.

“Boys? How old are they? Haha appa you know how much I hate young college students, they seem to throw more tantrums than a hungry toddler” I shook my head, thinking of how annoying those types of boys are, but I don’t think my appa understood my frustration since he replied to me with a simple “Yes”

I widened my eyes in surprise and choked on my saliva trying to soak in what I just heard.

“What did you just say APPA?” I stood up and glared at him.

Appa pushed me down to my sit again as he took a sip of his coffee “Jane, this is a very important favour I need for you to do and these boys, well they need to be protected and thought how to defend themselves. We’re talking about elite of the elites. The vice president of South Korea, which is Mr. Kim had personally come up here last week to talk about a problem that had occurred. The government is currently under fire and is being sought after by some huge group of terrorist, which we still haven’t identified who they work under and he doesn’t want his son to get involved. Mr. Kim is also my close friend so I agreed to help him”

“Okay so he’s doing this to prevent his son from getting caught up with their problems but what does that have to do with serving 2 years in military appa? And you said his son which is only one, so where does this 6 other boys come in?”

“Jane, we work for the country to protect our people not only to train them, you are assigned to protect these boys with your life and there is no questioning to who and why you have to do this. Now the 6 boys are associated with this because they’re the sons of the ministers. So enough of the questions, I’ll hand you the files about them and learn what their habits are like, their personality and so on. Jane, this time please don’t stress to much, be friendly and you’re only 24 not some old ahjumma going through menopause”

“APPA!” I turned red at his comment. ME? MENOPAUSE? WHAT EVEN?

“Go now, and here take these” appa handed me the files and I stood up to bow but he stopped me and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

“I know you’ll do great Jane, Im sure of it” he whispered and I smiled and kissed his cheeks.

“Oh before you go, I want you to tell Ailee to come here later once she’s awake. That girl always wants an earful of sermon from me doesn’t she?”

“Huh uh sure appa...I’m just gonna excuse myself now” I slightly smiled before rushing out the door. Phew.