Discoveries

Sovereignty

A/N: Hey hey look at this! An update and only a week after the last one~ I'm spoiling you guys :P But for real though, i've had a little more time to write recently and i've had some good jolts of inspiration so writing has been good.

I'm happy to say that as of now I have two weeks off work so I will have a lot more time to write and hopefully it means I can get well ahead of myself and prepare future chapters for you all~~
Thank you all for the positive responses to the last chaper, I hope you enjoy this one!
And as always, comments are much appreciated.

 

 


 

 

After ending the call with Heechul, Leeteuk headed back inside of the café and walked into the back to find Shindong. He grabbed his jacket and his bag before finally laying eyes on his boss and trusted friend.
“Shindong i’m really sorry but I need to go. Something has happened and I need to go and get Kyuhyun” Shindong looked up from his files before nodding his head with a small smile.
“Of course, Leeteuk. We have enough people here today so don’t worry about it. I hope everything’s alright with Kyuhyun”

“Thank you, so much. I’ll make it up to you I promise” Leeteuk smiled, leaning over to give Shindong a quick hug before he left the café and headed towards the portal to Abaddon.

 

It was midday in the human realm and the majority of people were at work, leaving the streets mostly quiet and calm. The sky was grey and despite the sun’s best efforts to break through the clouds, the usually bright streets were cast in shadow. Leeteuk took off in a run towards the portal, thankful that the café he worked at wasn’t too far away. The portals to Abaddon and Araqiel were never too far apart due to the once peaceful agreement between the two realms, at the time of peace it acted as a way for the residents of both realms to meet in the middle and celebrate together. But since the war the usual meeting place between realms had been abandoned.

 

Leeteuk approached the portal to the dark realm cautiously as he looked out for any demons that may have been near by. When he had determined that the area was clear he sighed in relief before the ground beneath him began to shake and a look of concern furrowed his brow.
“Kyuhyun, are you here? Heechul said you might need my help” he called out softly before he turned a corner and frowned when he laid eyes on the younger Kyuhyun was sitting in the corner of a nearby demolished house with his arms wrapped tightly around his legs and his eyes closed, trying to contain whatever was happening to him. When he heard Leeteuk’s voice he raised his head and opened his eyes, sending a small shockwave through the already abandoned house and causing stones to fall down around him.
“Teukie, help me. I don’t know what’s happening, I can’t stop it” he shouted in a panicked voice and Leeteuk rushed to his side before wrapping his arms around the younger.
“It’s okay, i’m here. Heechul told me what happened. I think your anger and frustration triggered your light magic. Baby, you need to calm down. Get your father out of your head and breathe” Leeteuk murmured as he ran his fingers through Kyuhyun’s hair in an attempt to calm him. After a few moments of being wrapped in Leeteuk’s embrace the shaking stopped and everything fell quiet around them. Leeteuk pressed a kiss to Kyuhyun’s head before the younger wrapped his arms around the angel's form, his eyes still tightly closed.

“Come on, stand up. Lets get you home.” Leeteuk gently pulled Kyuhyun to his feet and the younger sighed while holding his head. “Open your eyes, let me see.”
Kyuhyun reluctantly opened his eyes and raised them to look at Leeteuk, the angels eyes widening a little when he looked into Kyuhyun’s usually purple eyes, now replaced by a similar blue colour to his own.

“So far, i’m not a fan of being part pure blood” Kyuhyun mumbled while swaying slightly on his feet. Leeteuk let out a soft chuckle as he took the younger’s hand and lead him back out into the street.
“It will probably take some getting used to. But you will get used to it don’t worry” Leeteuk smiled, earning a small nod from the younger.

As the two walked down the side street and back in the direction of one of the main streets, Kyuhyun’s pace slowed and he held his head again.

"Something doesn't feel right" he mumbled as his eyes fluttered closed before he released his grip on Leeteuk’s hand and collapsed to the floor.

 

Leeteuk turned around and rushed to Kyuhyun’s side, checking his boyfriend instantly to see if he was breathing as he tried not to panic.

"Kyuhyun wake up. You need to open your eyes for me" He cooed as he tried to keep himself calm. "Kyuhyun, please. You need to wake up!" He looked around the quiet streets and let out a cry of frustration before he pulled his phone out of his pocket and called his uncle.

"Uncle I need your help. I don't know what to do!"

"Leeteuk? What's wrong?" The emperor asked and Leeteuk took a deep breath to try and calm himself. He cradled Kyuhyun in his free arm before pressing a kiss to his head.

"Kyuhyun collapsed. His brother called me not too long ago and told me that something was wrong and he thought Kyuhyun’s light magic had surfaced. He was right but something's wrong. He won't wake up and I can't take him to the hospital here. I-"

"Leeteuk calm down. I'm sending two of my guards to come and get you both. My medical team will take care of him, I promise. He’ll be alright."
“We’re in the ruins near the portal to Abaddon, that’s where I found him but he didn’t make it very far before he collapsed.” Leeteuk listened as his uncle gave his guards their orders while he brushed his fingers through Kyuhyun’s hair.
“They’ll be there soon. They have orders to bring him to the palace so he will be able to rest in the medical wing of the palace. I’ll meet you when you arrive. Don’t worry, Leeteuk, my medical team will take care of him. I’ll speak to you when you get here.”
“Thank you, uncle.” Leeteuk slipped his phone back into his pocket before pulling Kyuhyun closer against his chest. He looked upon the younger’s face sadly and sighed. Kyuhyun looked as if he were sleeping, his chest rising and falling steadily despite his unresponsive state.

 

After a short wait and a quick transfer into the light realm Leeteuk followed his uncle's guards closely as they took Kyuhyun inside of the palace and made their way to the medical wing. The emperor was waiting when they arrived and he embraced Leeteuk in a comforting hug as the guards left Kyuhyun in the hands of the medical team.
“He’s in good hands now, Leeteuk. Try not to worry too much” he said softly but his voice was just an echo in the angel's head as he watched his uncle’s doctors examine Kyuhyun. “Tell me what happened. You said he collapsed but what happened before then?”
“I was at work and I received a phone call from Kyuhyun’s brother, Heechul. He told me that Kyuhyun and the king had a huge argument and they both said things they shouldn’t have. The king tried to stop him from leaving but something happened and seven guards died as a result. His eyes were blue and apparently all he did was look at them, like what Jiyong can do. And when I found him in the ruins everything started to shake. I think it’s his light magic but I don’t understand where it came from, or what’s happened to him.”

The emperor walked over and studied Kyuhyun’s face before gently checking the demon prince’s eyes. They still held a faint blue colour but they were mostly back to their normal purple hue, relieving the emperor if only slightly. When his uncle moved away from Kyuhyun’s bedside, to speak privately with the medical team, Leeteuk sat on the edge of the bed and took the younger’s hand. The last couple of weeks had been tough on everyone, especially Kyuhyun, and seeing him lying unconscious again was something unthinkable for the angel.
“I need you to wake up. I need to know that you’re alright” Leeteuk whispered as he kissed Kyuhyun’s hand before holding it over his heart. The emperor approached and squeezed Leeteuk’s shoulder lightly as he gave him a small smile.
“I’ve spoken with my team and they can’t find anything physically wrong with him, at least not on the outside. But I think I know what might be wrong now, it is something I suspected when you called me but I couldn’t be sure” he paused and brushed Kyuhyun’s hair from his face, an action that brought a smile to Leeteuk’s face. “When an angel's magic develops it does so slowly and usually between the ages of sixteen and eighteen. It’s a slow process, as you know. Kyuhyun is only half pure blood and if i’m right in saying, he’s nineteen?” he asked and Leeteuk nodded. “Sometimes magic can be triggered by stress and anger or a traumatic event but never before the age of sixteen. I think the argument Kyuhyun had with his father triggered his light magic but rather than developing slowly I think it all hit at once, overwhelming him and his mind.”
“What does that mean for Kyuhyun though? Something must be badly wrong if he won’t wake up, right?”
“I’ve only seen this a couple of times before. One of the occasions everything was alright but..”
“What is it, uncle? Tell me”
“Before you and Sungmin were born a young man of eighteen was forced to watch as demons slaughtered his parents. His light magic was triggered and he brought down several buildings as a result. When he finally woke up his memory had been wiped clean, but we found out that there was damage to his brain worse than we first thought… he died the next day as a result.”

 

Leeteuk turned his head away from his uncle as tears fell from his eyes at the thought of the same thing happening to Kyuhyun, his Kyuhyun. He tightened the grip he had on the younger’s hand before the Emperor reached out to wipe his eyes.
“We’re going to do everything to stop that from happening, Leeteuk. I promise. I know you care for him greatly but until he wakes up we won’t know if any damage has been done. He may be King Kim’s son but that isn’t his fault, we can’t choose our family, I will not stop his care because of who he is.”
“Thank you, uncle. I can’t lose him. I know you, Sungmin and everybody else in this realm..” he paused and looked at Kyuhyun before sighing “Or in his realm for that matter, might not approve of us but he’s good for me. I haven’t been this happy since before my mother died. And from what Heechul has told me, neither has he.” The emperor smiled and sat down on the chair beside the bed before folding his hands in his lap.
“How did the two of you meet? Changmin told me that you had gotten involved with a demon but I didn’t know at the time how serious you were about him. I’m glad that you’re happy, Leeteuk. It’s all i’ve wanted since we lost your mother” he spoke softly as he gave his nephew a comforting pat on the knee and Leeteuk returned the smile, holding Kyuhyun’s hand tightly.
“You remember Hangeng, right?” Leeteuk asked and the Emperor nodded, his expression hardening slightly at the familiar name. “He’s still dating Kyuhyun’s brother and living in the palace with them. He helps out a lot, especially with dealing with Kyuhyun’s medication and everything. I was walking home one night and I ran into Kyuhyun… Literally, neither of us were watching where we were going. Hangeng was walking him home at the time. That was the first time we met. There was something odd about him and I knew who he was, what he was, but there was something compelling about him. The second time I met him was…” he paused and bit his lip lightly as he thought carefully about whether he should tell his uncle the next part but he smiled at the small but fond memory. “Do you remember the masquerade ball we had not too long ago?”

“Yes. It was a wonderful night but sadly ended with blood being spilled” the Emperor spoke softly and Leeteuk nodded.
“You sensed there was a demon there… It was Kyuhyun. He convinced the guards to let him in so he could dance with me, but he underestimated things and he ended up somewhat high from being around so many angels in such a confined space.”
“Was he responsible for those who died that night?”
“No, I promise. His mark is different to the mark on those who died. I was worried too when I first heard about that but I know his mark, and it wasn’t the same.” The Emperor nodded in understanding before looking up to meet Leeteuk’s eyes.
“How do you know his mark? Did he show it to you?” he asked and Leeteuk had a sudden look of guilt on his face before he pulled the collar of his jacket and shirt down slightly to reveal a faint mark on the base of his neck.
“Kind of.. I had a dream, but it wasn’t a dream… It’s a long story but Kyuhyun was with me at the time of the murders, that’s how I knew he wasn’t responsible, that was before I knew his mark was on me.” The Emperor's eyes narrowed a little and he glanced at the still sleeping prince before sighing.

“I can’t say i’m happy about him marking you as his. But it’s your life and if he makes you happy you have my blessing. Just be careful”
“I will, uncle. I promise.”

 

After a few moments of silence the Emperor smiled softly as he stood from his seat and walked over to speak with the doctors. Leeteuk ignored the movement and kept his eyes focused on Kyuhyun, silently praying that what his uncle had told him would not happen to the demon prince. His attention was caught when one of the doctors took Kyuhyun’s other hand, hooking it up to a monitor that began to beep steadily in time with the younger’s heartbeat.
“Don’t worry, this is just a precaution. If anything changes we will know straight away” The doctor said softly, his bow shaped lips curling up into a smile, but Leeteuk only looked at him with a blank expression before looking back down at Kyuhyun’s face. He reached out to brush his thumb over his boyfriend’s cheek with a sigh.
“Wake up, Kyuhyun, please.” As he sat by Kyuhyun’s side Leeteuk glanced back at what the doctor was doing, a frown appearing on his face when he watched a needle disappear into Kyuhyun’s arm. The doctor fixed the needle in place with a piece of tape before running his fingers along the scars on the prince’s wrist.
“Old injuries?” He asked and Leeteuk nodded.
“Ten years old so please, ignore them” Leeteuk mumbled and the doctor nodded.
“Of course, my apologies. I don’t think we’ve met before, my name is Choi Siwon, the Emperor appointed me as his chief doctor just last week”
“I’m Leeteuk. The Emperor's nephew” Leeteuk mumbled before he felt his phone buzz briefly in his pocket. A part of him wanted to ignore the message but he felt compelled to at least take a look. When he pulled out his phone he sighed as he read the message.

 

To: Leeteuk

From: Heechul

Message: Hey Leeteuk, I haven’t heard from you and I can’t seem to reach Kyuhyun. Is everything alright? Tell Kyuhyun to call me when he can.

 

Leeteuk pressed call and held the phone to his ear with his free hand, his breath shaky as he waited to Heechul to answer.
“Leeteuk? What can I do for you?” Heechul asked, his tone cheerful despite the previous issues with his father. Tears pricked in Leeteuk’s eyes once again as he spoke.
“Heechul something has happened to Kyuhyun.. He collapsed when he got back from Abaddon and we can’t wake him up”
“What?! What do you mean you can’t wake him up? What did they do to him?”

“Nobody has done anything. You said that you thought Kyuhyun’s light magic had surfaced and you were right. But it happened too fast. My uncle thinks he was overwhelmed by it all, both his body and his mind. They’re monitoring him closely but until he wakes up we won’t know if any damage has been done.” Heechul fell silent as he processed Leeteuk’s words before he called out for Hangeng.
Leeteuk, humans are allowed to pass freely into the light realm, right?” He asked and Leeteuk nodded despite Heechul not being there to see.
“Yes. The spell is only in place for demons.”
“I’m sending Hangeng. I can’t come there myself since you’re in the light realm but I can send him in my place. Update him on every little detail so he can explain the full extent of what has happened to me when he returns. But wait, you said you won’t know whether any damage has been done, what do you mean?”

My uncle told me that something like this has happened a couple of times, before I was born. One person recovered but the other didn’t… The magic overwhelmed him, caused damage to his brain and wiped his memory.”
“Hangeng is on his way” Heechul murmured with a small hint of a growl to his voice before he hung up the phone without another word.  

 

***

 

“Hangeng you need to go to the light realm. Kyuhyun is hurt and I cannot pass through the spell barrier otherwise I would go myself. Go to the palace, Leeteuk knows you’re coming so you will be granted access, find Kyuhyun and make sure he’s alright. Find out what’s happening to my brother” Heechul ordered as he slipped his phone into his pocket and rose from his seat. Hangeng nodded and hugged Heechul tightly in an attempt to comfort the older prince but Heechul stood still, his mind elsewhere.
“I’ll contact you the minute anything changes, I promise” Hangeng smiled before he picked up his jacket and left the palace.

 

Heechul paced back and forth in his room while thoughts of his brother filled his head. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before leaving his room and walking towards the throne room. The palace hallways were quiet if not for the usual guards scattered here and there and walking the hallways on patrol. He pushed the doors open and walked inside, ignoring the voices of the guards behind him as he walked through the long room towards his father. The king looked up with an annoyed frown and Junsu followed suit, setting down his pen before crossing his arms over his chest.
“I’m sorry, my lord. We couldn’t stop him!” One of the guards by the door called out upon feeling the king's eyes on them but Heechul continued before coming to a stop just metres from his father.
“Leave us! Now!” He growled and glanced at each guard in the room. In turn the guards bowed their heads and left. Junsu raised an eyebrow to the prince's actions before Heechul hissed harshly at him, his tail swaying angrily. “You too Junsu. Get out! I need to speak with my father and it does not concern you”
“Heechul, anything you have to say can be said in front of Junsu” The king spat harshly but Heechul shook his head.
“This is a family concern. He has no space within our family, especially when it comes to my brothers wellbeing. I won’t tell you again, Junsu. Leave!”

“It’s okay, sire. I’ll leave you two to talk, I need to go and see what Jaejoong is up to anyway” Junsu murmured softly and stood from his seat before walking towards the door and closing it behind himself.

 

The king shot Heechul a disapproving look as the prince stood in front of him with his arms folded across his chest, an obvious look of worry and distress on his face.

“I hope you’re happy, father. I may lose my brother because of you” Heechul spoke softly and the king frowned before taking a seat on his throne.
“What are you talking about? Kyuhyun will be back when he has calmed down.”
“Do you even care? Kyuhyun is lying unconscious in a hospital bed because his magic overwhelmed him!” Heechul growled, keeping the part about Kyuhyun’s light magic to himself “Luckily Leeteuk found him in time otherwise i’d hate to think what would have happened to him.”
“What do you mean he's unconscious in hospital? And who is Leeteuk?” Heechul laughed and shook his head before rubbing his temple exasperatedly at his father's cluelessness. He thought about leaving without another word but despite his present anger at his father, he was still his father, and they were still a family.
“He collapsed after he left and he won’t wake up. There could be brain damage, memory loss, he may never wake up, but he might wake up and be perfectly fine, we don’t know yet. And Leeteuk is Kyuhyun’s boyfriend. Not that you care about that, you don’t even care about him. You said yourself that he is nothing.” The king paused as he processed Heechul’s words. What else didn’t he know about his youngest son?
“Kyuhyun has a boyfriend?” He asked with a small hint of a smile on his face before he stood again “Where is he? I need to see him.”
“You can’t see him but he’s safe. I’ve sent Hangeng to meet with Leeteuk, they’re looking after him.”
“I didn’t mean what I said to him. He may be half human but he’s still my son, I care for him greatly” The king sighed and Heechul frowned. Would he be out of line if he were to tell his father what he had recently found out about his brother? No, he couldn’t do that. He shook the thoughts from his head before brushing his hair from his face.
“It isn’t me you need to explain yourself to, father. It isn’t me you need to apologise to. Just know this. If anything happens to my brother, I don’t care if you are my father and my king, I will hold you responsible, and I will never forgive you.”

 

The king couldn’t help but smile at Heechul’s devotion to his younger brother but he soon frowned again at his oldest sons insolence towards him. He stood from his seat and walked over to the window, looking out over the courtyard and towards the ruins in the distance before turning back towards Heechul.
“I am glad that you and Kyuhyun can look past having separate mothers and still be as close as you are. But do not underestimate me Heechul, I rule this realm for a reason. Just because you are my son does not mean you can’t be punished. You will do well to hold your tongue in future.” Heechul rolled his eyes as his father spoke and he walked over to sit on the table beside the throne. He watched as his father slowly paced the room, noticing the look of worry on his face despite the hardness of his features.
“He is my brother. I will always protect him no matter what. It doesn’t matter to us that we didn’t have the same mother. My mother abandoned me, as far as i’m concerned I have no mother. And I am aware that being your son doesn’t stop you from being able to punish me but I don’t care. My brother comes first and right now he needs me. I’ll be back later.”
“Tell him I am sorry. I’ll see you when you get home.” Heechul nodded and gave his father a bow of his head before he turned and left the room, heading to his own to pack a change of clothes. He pulled his bag onto his back as he left the palace and walked through the gates, pausing for a moment when he noticed the bodies of the dead guards being carried away to their place of rest.
“Please be okay brother” Heechul mumbled quietly to himself before he sighed and continued on his way to the portal, his mind set on being at Kyuhyun’s apartment before the younger returned home.

 

*****

 

The hours passed quickly for everyone but Leeteuk, his worries for Kyuhyun filling his mind no matter how hard he tried to focus on something else. He lay down in the small room at the side of Kyuhyun’s, making sure to stay close by just in case anything were to change. He stared up at the ceiling as he listened to the quiet beeping coming from Kyuhyun’s monitor. Something about the beeping had become almost soothing to him, the steady beeping a constant reminder that Kyuhyun had not lost his fight. He yawned and closed his eyes as he pulled the blanket over himself, letting the quiet beeping lull him to sleep.

 

Hangeng peeked through the doorway to the room adjoining Kyuhyun’s and smiled when he noticed that Leeteuk had finally fallen asleep, the busy day of worry and stress tiring the angel out completely. He pulled the door closed quietly and walked back to sit by Kyuhyun’s bed so he could keep watch over the prince before he took out his phone and began to write a message.

 

To: Heechul
From: Hangeng

Message: He’s stable at the moment but he’s still unconscious. The doctor’s are waiting for the results of the MRI scan and the x-ray they performed not too long ago so if there’s any damage they should be able to know about it even before he wakes up. They’re taking really good care of him so do not worry too much. I’ll call you if there’s any change.

 

As he set his phone down on the table Emperor Lee made his way back into the room, a smile creeping onto the Emperor’s face when he laid his eyes upon Hangeng.
“It’s nice to see you again, Hangeng. When you disappeared I feared the worst” Hangeng looked towards the Emperor with a smile before he stood from his seat and gave a small bow.
“Hello, my lord. I hope my being here is okay, I know how much people looked down on me after I left but Kyuhyun’s brother was worried” he murmured softly and the Emperor smiled as he squeezed Hangeng’s shoulder gently.
“Do not worry. Leeteuk told me why you left, seeing you healthy and happy is all that matters to me. You will always be welcome back here.”
“Thank you, sire. And thank you for taking care of Kyuhyun. I know it can’t be the easiest of things to do, given what he is. I know King Kim wouldn’t approve of him being here but Heechul is very thankful to you.” The Emperor smiled and gave a small nod of his head after Hangeng had finished speaking, keeping Kyuhyun’s true identity to himself until anyone else were to bring it up. He gave Hangeng’s shoulder another squeeze before excusing himself and walking over to speak to Siwon. Hangeng smiled as he took his seat beside Kyuhyun’s bed once again, picking up his phone to read the message flashing on the screen.

 

To: Hangeng
From: Heechul
Message: I’m glad they’re taking care of him otherwise i’d probably have to kill them all. I spoke to my father and now i’m at Kyuhyun’s apartment so when he wakes up and comes home, I will be here. Tell Leeteuk to call me when he can, I need to speak with him.

 

Hangeng couldn’t help but smile a little as he read Heechul’s words, a small chuckle leaving his throat before he looked up with widening eyes. Kyuhyun's fingers were clutching the blanket over him softly, his fingers weak against the material despite his obvious distress. The machine began to beep a little faster as his eyes started to flutter, catching the attention of the doctors in the room as well as the Emperor. Hangeng rose from his seat and rushed into the room next door, shaking Leeteuk gently to wake him up before Kyuhyun fully awoke, knowing the older would want to be there when he did.
“Leeteuk, come quickly. I think Kyuhyun may be waking up” Hangeng called out softly and Leeteuk opened his eyes and sat up quickly, throwing the covers off himself before he walked through into Kyuhyun’s room with Hangeng, taking the younger’s hand.

"Kyuhyun?  Baby, it's me. Wake up. Come back to me" Leeteuk said softly as he kissed Kyuhyun's hand. At the sound of Leeteuk's voice some of the medical equipment began to rattle before floating just inches in the air. Leeteuk watched closely before leaning down to kiss Kyuhyun’s lips, the equipment settling as soon as their lips touched. When Leeteuk pulled back he looked down with a smile to see Kyuhyun looking back at him, the younger’s eyes pale but back to their natural violet colour. He blinked slowly as he looked around to give his eyes the chance to focus, his surroundings confusing him almost instantly.
"Where am I?" Kyuhyun whispered quietly as any attempt to make his voice louder failed him. Leeteuk looked towards the doctor, who nodded his head once, before he looked back at Kyuhyun with a small smile.

"You're safe, don't worry. Do you know who I am?" He asked, earning a confused look from Kyuhyun.

"Of course. You're Leeteuk. How could I ever forget you." Kyuhyun smiled and Leeteuk let out a soft sigh before kissing the prince's hand. The Emperor walked over with a gentle smile and stood behind Leeteuk, resting his hands on his nephew's shoulders as he looked upon Kyuhyun.

"Hello, Kyuhyun.  How are you feeling?" He asked and Kyuhyun gave him a look of confusion.

"Tired. Confused. Dizzy. What happened? How did I get here?" He asked and Siwon walked over holding an x-ray and the results of the MRI he had performed a few hours earlier.
"You will be confused for some time i'm afraid but i'm happy to say it shouldn't last. Hello, Kyuhyun. My name is Choi Siwon, I have been the one taking care of you since Leeteuk brought you here.”

“I don’t remember what happened after I got back to the human realm. But, my magic… I couldn’t control it” Kyuhyun murmured and Siwon nodded his head a little as he gave Leeteuk a small smile to try and reassure him.

“Kyuhyun, you have what we call a cerebral contusion, or in simple terms bruising on the brain. Emperor Lee told me what Leeteuk had told him about your magic, I believe they were right and your light magic overpowered you. Now because of the bruising you will be confused, tired, dizzy and you may go through phases of nausea and headaches but as awful as all of that sounds I don’t think there will be any lasting damage.”

“I have to say, I expected light magic to be easier than dark magic. But all it’s done for me so far is cause me pain and ended with several of my father's guards being dead. I’m not even sure I want to go back there, he’s going to know that something is wrong” Kyuhyun sighed and Leeteuk shifted a little to sit further up the bed, raising the younger’s head to rest in his lap.
“Don’t worry about your father. Don’t even think about him for a moment. The main thing you need to do right now is rest and keep yourself calm” Leeteuk said softly as he ran his fingers through Kyuhyun’s hair, earning a small smile from the younger.

 

Siwon stepped away with a smile as he watched Leeteuk’s interaction with Kyuhyun, the emperor following closely behind. He gathered all of the notes he had on Kyuhyun and his background and put them in a folder on the side before turning to the emperor with a small bow of his head.
“My lord, he is stable enough to be moved if you would rather him be elsewhere. I’m happy with his vitals and there are no signs so far of any brain damage. I’m confident that he will make a full recovery after plenty of rest.” Emperor Lee nodded his head with a smile as he watched Leeteuk and Kyuhyun.
“Kyuhyun may want to go back home. I know he will be more comfortable there but i’ll speak with them both shortly and let them decide on what they would rather do. Thank you for taking care of him, Siwon. I knew I made the right choice in putting you in charge of my medical team” Siwon smiled and gave the emperor a small bow
“Thank you, sire.”
 

*****

 

Heechul sat alone in Kyuhyun’s apartment that night staring at his phone as he waited for news on his brother. Despite receiving messages of reassurance from Hangeng in the light realm, the older prince found himself unable to relax until he saw his brother with his own eyes. He stood from the sofa and walked over to look out of the window, looking out over the increasingly quieting city and the bright city lights before he checked his phone once more, frowning at the blank screen. As the minutes passed slowly Heechul paced the apartment and focused his eyes on the photographs scattered around the walls and shelves. Their numbers were small but each of the photographs held deep meaning for the young prince and Heechul knew that, varying from pictures of his mother to new pictures of him with Leeteuk. Heechul’s eyes landed on one photograph in particular and he picked up the frame with a smile, shaking his head in amusement at the picture of him and his brother pulling silly faces for the camera.
“I miss you brother” he mumbled softly, the smile lingering on his face as he put the frame back in it’s place. His eyes snapped to the door when he heard footsteps approaching, one pair, impossible of being Kyuhyun’s in his current state. He turned off the light and moved around the corner and into the shadows, keeping his eyes focused on the door but remaining out of sight. The key turned slowly in the lock, the door was pushed open and Leeteuk stepped inside into the darkness, pushing the door closed with his foot before he struggled to turn on the light.

“We’re home now” He whispered softly to Kyuhyun who was lying in his arms, Kyuhyun’s arm was wrapped around the angel's neck with his head rested on the older’s shoulder, his eyes closed. “You’ll wake up in your own bed and I promise, everything will be okay.”
“My brother always did look like a child when he was sleeping” Heechul spoke softly as he stepped out of the darkness, causing Leeteuk to let out a startled shriek and freeze where he stood.
“Heechul?! Where did you come from? You nearly gave me a heart attack, not to mention I could have dropped Kyuhyun and another head injury is not what he needs right now!” Leeteuk shouted before he shot a glare towards Heechul who couldn’t help but laugh at the others reaction.
“My apologies. I’ve been here all day waiting to see if anyone came back. I only heard one set of footsteps so I thought it might have been somebody else” he paused, looking over his brother as his features softened. “How is he?” Leeteuk smiled a little and walked through into the bedroom and over to the bed to lay down the sleeping prince. He pulled a blanket up and over Kyuhyun before sitting down on the bed beside him and running his fingers through the younger’s hair.
“He’s still weak. I’m not sure how much Hangeng told you but he has bruising on his brain. It’s going to leave him tired, dizzy and confused for a few days and the doctors said he may even have phases of nausea and headaches but he’s going to be alright. Heechul, whatever happened between Kyuhyun and your father can’t happen again. I don’t know how much he could take if it did.”
“I understand. I’m glad I called you when I did, I’d hate to think what might have happened if you hadn’t found him when you did. I’m still trying to process the fact that my brother is connected to the light realm by blood though. It’s surreal”
“I know. I think we’re all trying to process it if i’m honest. Does your father know?” Leeteuk asked and Heechul shook his head, looking down at his brother before taking a seat beside the bed.
“No. And honestly the day he finds out I don’t know what will happen. He has a hard enough time thinking that Kyuhyun is half human.”

 

Leeteuk nodded his head a little and stayed silent for a few moments as he watched Kyuhyun’s face before he sighed softly and looked back toward Heechul.
“I don’t think your father should know what Kyuhyun is if we can help it, at least not until his powers are stable. There was a letter addressed to Kyuhyun in my mother's things back at the light realm. In the letter his mother wrote that your father never meant to have a child with her, he never wanted to. I don’t know whether he has told you before but being half human meant that Kyuhyun could never take the throne, you are your fathers only heir.” Heechul looked at Leeteuk with disbelief before the older continued. “But she also said that Kyuhyun is the only one who can stop the war between our realms and unite us all.”
“My father has never told either of us any different. Although because i’m older i’ll obviously take the throne first but if i’m honest, i’m not even sure I want to be king. Maybe it would be a good thing for Kyuhyun to be king, he could change things.”
“We’ll figure everything out in time, for now we have to focus on Kyuhyun getting strong again and then he can get a handle on his powers.” Leeteuk smiled and Heechul nodded in agreement.
“It’s been a stressful and exhausting day for everyone, you should get some sleep. You’re safe here, both of you, and i’ll be awake in the other room if either of you need me. Goodnight, Leeteuk” Heechul smiled softly before looking down at his brother and brushing a few stray hairs from the younger’s face. “Rest well, brother. I’ll see you both in the morning”
“Goodnight, Heechul. And thank you.” Leeteuk smiled as Heechul left the room, closing the door behind himself.

 

Once Heechul had left Leeteuk stood from the bed and pulled closed the curtains, plunging the room into darkness before he flicked on the lamp on the night stand. Kyuhyun shifted a little in his sleep until he was laying on his side with his arms out in front of him. Leeteuk chuckled softly as he walked through into the bathroom to quickly brush his teeth before he got into bed beside the younger. Kyuhyun let out a small whine at the shift beside himself but he soon snuggled closer to the familiar warmth, burying his face in the curve of the angel’s neck as he always did when they slept together. Leeteuk smiled and pulled the blanket around them both before he reached out to turn off the light, wrapping his arms around Kyuhyun’s body.
“Sleep well, my love. Tomorrow will be a better day, I promise” He whispered as he pressed a kiss to the prince’s forehead before closing his eyes and letting sleep pull him in.