Chapter Eight

Hunter or Hunted?

 

Soyeon leaned her head back into her chair, sighing deeply. Chansung rolled his chair over to her with a bright smile, “Noona, it’s going to be twelve soon, you want to go out for lunch?”

The older woman smiled, a little tiredly, “Why not? Let’s go.” The two of them rose and headed to the café downstairs.

As Chansung queued for the food, Soyeon checked her phone for any messages. She was startled to see that Hyomin had called her about an hour ago, and quickly called her back.

“Hello? Soyeon, is that you?” Hyomin picked up at once.

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“Jo Kwon sent me a mission, apparently we’ve received another mission, and this one is a big one. A famous idol, who’s supposedly also a Warrior. His name is Xiah Junsu or something. Kwon wants you to eliminate him.” Hyomin replied.

Soyeon frowned, puzzled, “Me? But I thought…I thought you’re the one who always handles the big fish…why me?”

Hyomin’s voice was frustrated as she answered, “Because I’m being stalked by that freaking comedian Jang Wooyoung!”

Soyeon’s eyes boggled, “Jang Wooyoung? You mean, the Jang Wooyoung? The comedian?”

“Yes!” Hyomin practically yelled, “The bastard wants me to go out with him, and he freaking camped outside our door! I can’t even go out!”

As if on cue, Soyeon heard the noise of someone banging repeatedly on the door, and some muffled shouts. She heard Hyomin yell, annoyed, “Get the hell away from me!”

The older woman couldn’t help but chuckle, “OK, I’ll do it. What’s his schedule like?”

“He’ll be alone tonight, apparently. You can strike then. Good luck.” And then she hung up.

Soyeon put her phone away and brooded. Would she be able to eliminate this guy, especially if he was a Warrior? She wasn’t sure.

Just then, Chansung came back with the food. He set the trays down, “Here.”

Soyeon changed her expression to a bright smile, “Thanks, Chansung.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

As JB and Jiyeon separated, JB glanced at his watch, “It’s going to be music class soon…wanna go check it out?”

Jiyeon shrugged, “Why not.”

JB smiled, showing his playful side for the first time, “We can go show them our genius.”

His good mood was infectious, for Jiyeon smiled as well, “And I can get rid of that Myungsoo for once.”

They rose, JB taking Jiyeon’s hand as he remarked, “So, I was right then. You were going out with him just to make me jealous? I didn’t know you liked me so much.”

Jiyeon blushed bright red, “Don’t…don’t flatter yourself! Who said I did it because of you?”

“You just did.” JB pointed out brightly. He reached out and pinched Jiyeon’s cheek, “Since you like me so much, I guess I have no choice but to reciprocate.”

“Yah! Im Jae Bum! What do you mean by ‘no choice but to reciprocate!” She slapped him, albeit gently.

JB laughed, a lot more carefree than she had seen him before. He slung his arm over her shoulder, pulling her close to him.

The class looked up as JB and Jiyeon strode into the class, hand in hand. Most of their jaws dropped. The girls shot daggers at Jiyeon, hissing to each other as their eyes filled with hatred. Myungsoo’s eyes widened at the sight of them. There was a moment of silence as everyone’s gazes travelled from the couple to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo slammed the table, shooting to his feet. In four strides he reached them; with brutal force he ripped JB’s hand from Jiyeon, “What the hell are you thinking, Im Jae Bum?!”

JB shot Myungsoo a cold glare, “Don’t interfere with matters you don’t understand.”

Myungsoo laughed incredulously, “Don’t understand? What the hell is there not to understand about this? Do you take me for a fool?!”

He lifted a fist to punch JB; with lightning speed, JB grabbed his wrist and twisted it, pushing Myungsoo down. Leaning over him, the blonde-haired man hissed, so quietly not even Jiyeon heard him, “Goddamnit, Myungsoo. Before I punish you for insubordination and open defiance against your mentor, stop it. Don’t make me do it. Physical punishment is allowed for such offences, I can break your arm and beat you so hard you’re left an inch from death. I can even kill you right here and get away with it. So don’t push me.”

Myungsoo’s body stiffened at his mentor’s words. Slowly, his body relaxed. JB hesitated. Then he released Myungsoo; the dark-haired man sprang away from his mentor. There was a pause; the entire class seemed to be holding their breath as they watched.

Myungsoo’s gaze was challenging as he stared at JB. Then, all of a sudden, a hand rested on Myungsoo’s shoulder; he turned, only to see JR standing beside him, his eyes more serious than any of them had ever seen. Quietly, he said, “Leave it, Myungsoo. We’ll handle this later. Not now.”

Myungsoo hesitated. Then he spun around and strode out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

The class released a collective breath; Jiyeon took her new boyfriend’s hand, “You all right?”

JB smiled, “It’s fine.”

JR turned back to the duo with a smile, ‘All right, you happy couple. Not bad.” He winked at Jiyeon, who glared at him, “Oh, you shut up.”

JR laughed.

Just then, the music teacher entered the class. The three of them returned to their seats.

The music teacher pulled out the grading sheets, “All right, who wants to perform first?”

“We’ll do it!” JB answered, having recovered his former cheeriness, as he pulled Jiyeon’s hand up along with his. Jiyeon stared at him, startled, looking very much like a deer-in-the-headlights.

The music teacher raised an eye, surprised by JB’s unusual level of enthusiasm, “All right then, Mr Im. You and Miss Park can take the stage.”

JB bounded to the front of the class, pulling Jiyeon along with him. He smiled at her before handing the teacher a thumbdrive, “Our song is in here.”

The teacher handed them the two mics, “Get rocking, then.”

Jiyeon began to hyperventilate. She’d faced enemies and Warriors trying to cut her heart out, but she’d never gone through this sort of experience before.

JB took Jiyeon’s hand and turned to her with a comforting smile. The music began to play. Taking a deep breath, he stepped forward and began to sing.

“The most beautiful scene in my life
Was when I met you
In the midst of a crowd, silently looking at you
A stranger, yet also so familiar

Despite breathing in air from the same sky
I am not able to embrace you
If time, identity and name were changed
I hope I will still remember your eyes

Where will you be in a thousand years time?
What would the scenery look like around you?
Our story does not count as beautiful
Yet it is unforgettable.”

Girls gasped at JB’s beautiful voice. Jiyeon was captivated by the image of him singing, he looked so gentle, and, as he turned to her, she stepped forward and let forth her melodic voice.

“Despite breathing in air from the same sky
I am not able to embrace you
If time, identity and name were changed
I hope I will still remember your eyes

Where will you be in a thousand years time?
What would the scenery look like around you?
Our story does not count as beautiful
Yet it is still unforgettable.”

Together their voices merged, a beautiful harmony in rhythm with the music.

“If we had bravely remained together
Would there be a different ending today?
Would those thousands of words I had to say to you
Still be silently buried in my dreams?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taecyeon looked up as someone pulled the chair out and took a seat at the table. He smiled, “Hey, Eunjung. Shouldn’t you be in school?”

Eunjung shrugged, “Nah, I’m just a relief teacher, after all. I only stay in the school when they call me to take over a lesson. So other than that, I’m free.”

Taecyeon shot her a mock-glare, “And you get full pay for that? Damn, I’m jealous.”

“Hey, models get much higher pay than teachers, so shouldn’t I be the one getting jealous?” Eunjung retorted, playfully shoving the taller man. He smiled at him, and her face flushed at the warmth of his smile.

Taecyeon reached across the table and took her hands, “Will you go out with me?”

There was a pause. And Eunjung replied, simply, full of conviction, “Yes.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Sorry for the late update, but i've been busy with exams and block tests, so I didn't have much time. 

In any case, this chapter is almost completely JJ Couple and Taecjung; did anyone like the song JJ Couple sang? I thought it was kind of sweet; it sort of reflects the situation they are in, where they are in love yet cannot be together (sort of like Romeo and Juliet). Taecjung finally begins full force; expect a LOT of their moments.

Soyeon got a call to eliminate an idol, too. Any guesses as to who it is? Hint: Yeah, he's a Warrior. The next chapter is where the conflict really begins, and the first one under threat will be...yep, you guessed it: Soyeon. Anyone excited?

On a sidenote, guys, please do subscribe and comment! It's kind of depressing to write chapters only to have no one respond; feels like no one's reading at all...