Chapter Six

Hunter or Hunted?

 

What?” Hyomin’s voice was incredulous as she stared at Wooyoung. The comedian spread his hands out, “Why not? You’re attractive enough, and I’m a celebrity. We would make a pretty good couple.”

Hyomin was at a complete loss for words.

Jo Kwon shook his head as he leaned against the makeup table, “Oh dear, here we go again.”

“You’re crazy.” Hyomin finally managed to compose herself enough to snap at him, “Now will you get ready for the photoshoot and stop wasting our time?”

Wooyoung put his hands behind his head, “Oh come on, I know you find me attractive. How about it? One date, that’s all I’m asking for.”

The director of the photoshoot facepalmed himself, sighing in despair.

Wooyoung smirked. He reached out to take her hand.

Hyomin slapped him with all the force she could muster.

Wooyoung stood, stunned, his eyes wide. Everyone else stared at the duo with open-mouthed astonishment. Hyomin shot Wooyoung a venomous glare before turning to the director, “I’m sorry, sir, but I don’t think I’ll be able to take this job.” With that, she stormed away.

Wooyoung, still as thick-skinned as before, called after her, “I’m not giving up!”

Everyone sighed deeply, shaking their heads at Wooyoung’s shamelessness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiyeon turned to Myungsoo as they reached her locker, “I have Music lesson next, you should go ahead to your own class first.” Myungsoo shrugged, “Sure.” He paused for a moment, then pecked Jiyeon lightly on the cheek.

Jiyeon froze, her eyes wide in shock as she stared at the good-looking playboy.

And then her attention was drawn to a certain blonde-haired classmate, standing some distance behind them, next to his own locker. JB’s expression was tight, his eyes narrowed into slits. After a moment, he slammed his locker door and spun around, striding to the Music Lab for his next lesson.

As Jiyeon entered the Music Lab, she took her seat next to JB (they were partners in Music). His gaze was fixed on the book before him, completely ignoring Jiyeon’s presence. Jiyeon hesitated, debating whether or not to speak to him. Before she could come to a decision, their teacher entered the classroom, “All right, class. You guys know what day tomorrow is, right? Tomorrow, you’ll be presenting your music projects to the whole school! You’ll be given today to prepare for your performance tomorrow, so make sure you prepare well. All right, then, go prepare!”

Students around them began to split into their respective pairs, finding a corner in the Music Lab to prepare for their performances. JB and Jiyeon, however, remained at their seats, completely motionless. Jiyeon’s eyes darted repeatedly to JB, but his gaze was still fixated on his book, giving no indication that he had even heard the teacher.

After about five minutes of awkward silence, Jiyeon finally spoke up, “Hey, shouldn’t we be preparing for our performance?”

“I’ve got perfect pitch, and I’ve already memorized the score and lyrics of the song, so I’ll be perfectly fine for the performance.” JB answered disinterestedly.

Jiyeon frowned, “But we should still practice together right? No matter how well we’ve memorized the song – and for the record, I’ve done so as well – we should still have a rehearsal so that we can see how we match together.”

JB swallowed a sigh. He snapped his book shut, “Let’s go then.” Without waiting for Jiyeon to follow, he headed out of the classroom. Jiyeon hurried after him, “Hey! Where are you going?”

JB didn’t even bother to reply. He just led Jiyeon all the way up, to the rooftop of the school, where he plopped himself down on one of the benches, laying down and stretching, “Go ahead then, sing.”

Jiyeon folded her arms, staring at him, “Can you at least be serious about this? This is graded, you know.”

JB looked up at her, his eyes suddenly sharp, “I thought you were the one who kept on avoiding me?”

Jiyeon was silenced by his words. She couldn’t get close to him, she simply couldn’t. With the threat that he could be a Warrior hanging over their heads, there was no way she could even be friends with him. But even so, her feelings for him…She shook her head, thinking to herself : “No! What nonsense is this? Since when did I have any feelings for him?”

But as she glanced up, her eyes meeting his beautiful storm-gray ones, she found herself unable to deny the truth that JR had already told her a long time ago. He was the reason why she was even pretending to be so nice to Myungsoo, acting as if she really liked him, just so that she could get JB’s attention.

“Well?” JB asked, breaking into her thoughts.

“I wasn’t avoiding you in the first place.” Jiyeon answered as she looked away, a complete lie.

JB tilted his head to the side, “It doesn’t seem like the way your classmates described you to me. They said you were cold and ignored everyone. But you don’t seem to act that way, do you? Avoiding me all the time, flirting with that kid Myungsoo…why?”

There was a moment of silence, then Jiyeon’s eyes widened, “You asked my classmates about me?”

JB’s eyes flickered downwards for the briefest of moments; then he met her gaze again, “What about it? Is it wrong to be curious about your classmates?”

“Do you ask about every single one of your classmates?” Jiyeon retorted. She waited for JB to respond, but he looked down again, staring at her hands. After a minute, he said in a voice so soft, so quiet, she could hardly hear it, “I was curious about you. Right from the first time I met you, I thought you were different. I’ve never felt this way about anyone else, but you…that’s why…”

Jiyeon stared at him, shocked by his sudden confession.

JB rose abruptly. His tone cold and suddenly much harsher than before, he spoke, “I don’t feel like rehearsing now.” Without another word, he turned and strode away, back down the rooftop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunjung waved vigorously at Jiyeon, who just waved back half-heartedly. The older teacher bounded towards her ‘sister’ with enthusiasm, clapping her on the back, “Hey, are you ready to go home? We’re taking the bus today.”

Jiyeon just shrugged. She was still upset after her conversation with JB, which had totally not gone the way she expected to. Instead of him confessing to her that he liked her, and them making up, that conversation just seemed to have widened the gap between them.

As if on cue, JB strode out of the school gates, his bag slung casually over his shoulder. He looked up, and, as he spotted them, his expression darkened.

Eunjung, being the person she was, completely did not notice his change in expression. Instead, she raised a hand, and waved just as vigorously as she had before, “Hey, JB! JB! Remember me?”

Jiyeon could have strangled her there and then. With no other choice, and not wanting to appear rude, JB approached. Jiyeon looked down as he came closer.

“Hey, JB. How’ve you been doing?” Eunjung asked in a friendly manner. With a pleasant smile on his face, JB answered, “Pretty well. I’ve been enjoying school, it’s quite fun.”

Eunjung nodded. As she opened to speak, there was a sudden honk and Taecyeon poked his head out of a black BMW, “Yah, JB! Let’s go! We’re going to be late!”

JB waved to his brother. He bowed to Eunjung and Jiyeon, “I’m going ahead first, see you next time.”

Eunjung nodded. She waved to Taecyeon, who reciprocated with a wave and a wide smile. Then, as JB got into the car, they drove off, leaving the ‘sisters’ staring after them.

Jiyeon glanced at Eunjung, “Don’t tell me you’re really falling for that guy.”

Eunjung’s gaze turned to her sister. After a brief moment of silence, she replied calmly, “Of course not. Have you forgotten who we are?”

Jiyeon looked away. Of course she remembered. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Leader called for a mass meeting." Taecyeon said as he turned down the volume of the music in the car. 

JB didn't give any indication that he had heard Taecyeon. Instead, he looked at the other occupant in the car, "So. What do you think?"

Kim Myungsoo looked up, "I think it's her."

JB's fists clenched, but he forced himself to relax, "Why would you think that?"

A cold smile crossed Myungsoo's face, "It's a gut feeling. She just seems dangerous somehow. And I think that you feel the same. Except, for some reason...you refuse to admit it." 

JB looked out of the window, his lips tight. The handsome dark-haired man continued, "You're my mentor, JB, and I know I don't have any right to talk to you like that...but the way you treat that girl is different. And it shouldn't be. Not when she is a threat."

JB's head whipped around, "None of us have any proof that she's a member of T-ara! And anyway-"

Before JB could continue, his student interrupted, "And if she is, then you will have to eliminate her. And if you don't...we will."

----------------------------------------------------

Mutual attraction between Eunjung and Taecyeon~ My second favourite couple in Dream High, other than the Milky Couple! Heh. And did anyone else like Wooyoung's 'proposal' to Hyomin? Is anyone excited for their development?

Jiyeon and JB, on the other hand, aren't going so well now, aren't they? Who thinks that JB should just 'fess up and take Jiyeon for his own? And Myungsoo isn't as simple as the playboy he seemed to be at first, right? So he got close to Jiyeon with a motive as well...how will this turn out?

Remember, comment and subscribe!