Chapter Sixteen

Hunter or Hunted?

 

There was a loud slam, then again and again, someone hammering insistently against the door.

Jiyeon froze, whipping around, her hand immediately jumping to her gun. She glanced at her other members, “Could that be Hyomin-unnie?”

Hwayoung’s eyes were narrowed, “Don’t bet on it. Keep packing, everyone. We’ll leave by the window.”

The hammering continued without pause. All of a sudden, there was a thud, as if someone had slid to the ground, and a painful gasp.

Jiyeon listened closely, “Whoever it is has been injured. The Warriors might have gotten to Hyomin-unnie.” Without another word, she strode to the door.

Qri’s eyes widened in panic, “Wait Jiyeon!”

Jiyeon swung the door open, then stopped, her eyes wide in shock, “Hwang Chansung?”

The Warrior was on the floor, blood pooling around him. His eyes were wild, his hair messy and his hands trembling as he whispered, “Help…He’s coming for me.”

Without a second thought Jiyeon grabbed Chansung, about to drag him into the house. But Chansung cried out in pain, his body writhing in agony. Automatically, Jiyeon let go, “What’s wrong with you?”

“…He shot me. Jun.K shot me.”

“…” Jiyeon motioned for Qri to help her, and together, they lifted Chansung gently into one of the sofas. Then Qri drew her knife, “What are you doing here? You know who we are, don’t you?”

“…Assassins.”

“So aren’t you scared we’ll kill you? Why did you come here? Who’s Jun.K, anyway?” Jiyeon demanded.

Chansung’s smile turned bitter, “I’ll die anyway. Creed…found out I helped…Soyeon escape. Jun.K…he got me as I was…as I was running away.”

The T-ara members looked at each other. It was a plausible story, but how could they trust a Warrior’s words just like that?

Finally, Jiyeon asked, “So why did you help Soyeon-unnie?”

“…Friends.” And then he fainted.

Jiyeon turned to her members, “What do you think?”

“Leave him her to die.” Hwayoung said coldly, “We can’t bring him back to headquarters.”

“But he helped Soyeon-unnie. We owe him a debt. And he’s getting attacked because he helped us.” Boram mused, “Perhaps we should take him in.”

“The other assassins would think we’re crazy!” Hwayoung protested. But Boram shook her head, “I don’t think Soyeon would be very happy to hear that we abandoned the friend who helped her. We can let the leaders deal with him later. Let’s just bring him back.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyomin nodded to the waiter who placed their two cups of coffee down. Then she faced Wooyoung, “So who was that girl?”

“…What girl.” Wooyoung’s expression was unnaturally glum, completely unlike his usual comic and cheerful self. Hyomin rolled her eyes, “Don’t play dumb with me, buddy. That girl you were talking with. Who was she?”

“My sister. Dani.”

“She sounded pretty pissed off to me.” Hyomin commented. Wooyoung’s eyes darkened, “She’s been spoiled by us. She needs to be taught a lesson in respect.”

“Us? Who’s us? Your parents?” Hyomin asked questioningly. To her surprise, Wooyoung leaned back, looking down at his hands, “My parents are dead. They’ve been dead for a long time.”

There was a long silence. Hyomin bit her lip, “I’m sorry. What happened to them?”

“Nothing much. They were both…they had dangerous jobs. They were killed in the line of fire. Stabbed.”

Hyomin in her breath, “Stabbed? That’s brutal…did you ever find who did it?”

Wooyoung’s fists clenched, “I knew who did it. I just couldn’t catch them.” He gulped down the coffee and closed his eyes, massaging his temples tiredly, “So what about you? I haven’t heard you talk about your family at all.”

Hyomin leaned back, her expression wry, “I guess I opened myself up for that one. My parents are dead.”

Wooyoung raised an eyebrow, “What happened to them?”

“My father left my mum and I never knew him. And my mum, she was killed by a…she was killed in a robbery. Some shot her with a gun.” Hyomin’s expression turned angry, “If I ever find the bastard who did it…”

Wooyoung’s lips turned up in a slight smile, “I guess our situations are pretty similar.”

Hyomin allowed herself a smile, albeit a slight one, “I guess so.”

Just then, her phone rang. She glanced at it and picked up, “Hello? Jiyeon? What’s wrong? ...Leaving now? All right, I’ll join you at once.” She snapped the phone shut, “I’ve got to go. It was nice talking with you.” Without another word, she strode away.

Wooyoung finished his coffee, then set it down. As if on cue, his phone began to ring as well, and he quickly picked up, “JB? I’m on my way.”

He tossed some notes onto the table and made his way to the Warriors’ headquarters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taecyeon looked up weakly as Wooyoung entered the room. Jun.K leapt to his feet, “All right, you’re finally back. Now let’s go finish off that traitor Chansung.”

Wooyoung paused, his expression uncomprehending, “Wait. What traitor? What did Chansung do?”

JB and Taecyeon glanced worriedly at each other. Jun.K sneered, “That traitor helped an enemy escape. And she was a member of T-ara no less! Park Soyeon, that little .”

“Soyeon? Isn’t that Chansung’s colleague? She was…she was an assassin?” Wooyoung’s eyes widened in shock at the reveal, “Wow, I’ve really missed a lot, haven’t I?”

“…Jun.K, will you get my file from my room? It’s a blue one, and it contains some important documents I need to show Wooyoung.” JB requested.

Jun.K grumbled about having to go run errands, but did as he was told. JB’s room was at the very end, out of earshot, and the moment Jun.K entered the room, JB leaned forward, “Wooyoung, things have gotten out of control.” Quickly, he narrated the events to the older man.

Wooyoung listened quietly, his expression slowly becoming more and more severe. When JB finished, Wooyoung faced him, almost angrily, “You let the assassin go? Just because she was a friend of Chansung’s, and cos you had a crush on one of them?”

Taecyeon stirred but did not say anything.

JB’s expression darkened, “Jiyeon has nothing to do with-”

“Bull. You let your emotions get in the way of the job. So what do you want me to do? Join you guys in your, what, quest to help the assassin? They’re evil. They’re nothing but killers.”

“Just because they are killers doesn’t make them evil. You know, just as well as I do, that many of the people they kill are corrupt and evil.” JB argued. Wooyoung stared at him disbelievingly, “Are you defending the assassins? You might as well become one of them, then!”

“You’re just prejudiced, Wooyoung.” Taecyeon began.

“In case you forgot, those ing es killed my parents. I’m just giving back to them.” Wooyoung snarled. He closed his eyes, trying to control his anger, “I won’t betray you by telling the leaders. You’re my friends, my brothers. But I won’t help you guys. I’m not going to betray the memories of my parents like that.” With that, he stormed out of the room.

“…You can’t force him. He has a point. They murdered his parents.” Junho remarked quietly.

“Hey, I couldn’t find the…where’s Wooyoung?” Jun.K stopped, startled as he realized that Wooyoung was missing.

“…I’m going out.” JB threw his bag onto the sofa and strode out of the room, slamming the door behind him. As he went up to the highest level of the building he stopped, fishing out his phone. His fingers hovered over Jiyeon’s number, as he wondered whether or not to call her.

After a moment JB sighed, and dropped the phone back into his pocket.

“Jaebum.”

JB whipped around, his hand flashing to the knife hidden at his side. Then he relaxed, realizing that it was Yunho who stood behind him.

“…Father.” 

-------------------------------------------

Next chapter up! 

Poor Chansung, he got shot by Jun.K...but at least the assassins took him in. Jun.K is quite a cold guy, isn't he?

Wooyoung and Hyomin's backgrounds are finally revealed, and the romance between them is kind of sparking. But Wooyoung still hates the assassins most out of all the Warriors, and with good reason - they killed his parents! JB and Taecyeon on the other hand are starting to have doubts...how will this turn out??? Read the next update to find out!

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!