Chapter Twenty-One

Hunter or Hunted?

 

Areum pointed a shaking finger at Junho. “Yah, danshin! Give me my money back!” 

 

Junho ignored her, his gaze fixed upon the assassins. “You three...” There was a short silence as they stared at each other, the tension so thick you could practically cut through it. Nickhun shifted over to Junho, nudging him, his voice low as he murmured. “Yah, what’s the matter? You know these girls?”

 

“Don’t you?” Junho’s voice was hard and more than audible. “Park Jiyeon, Park Hyomin and Lee Qri. Come back to ruin our lives again?” 

 

Nickhun stiffened at the mention of the names - even though he had not been present at Chansung’s death, but he had heard enough from the others to know the names of the assassins who’d been involved. Instinctively his hand shifted to his back-pocket, prepared to draw his penknife and engage them in combat. 

 

But it was Jiyeon who moved first; she launched herself at the assassins, grabbing Junho by the collar. “Where is he?” Her voice was low, her eyes narrowed and fixed upon Junho’s face. 

 

Junho jerked back; Nickhun’s arm lunged out and the penknife nearly met Jiyeon’s arm before Hyomin jumped out of her seat, pulling Nickhun back. “Don’t you dare hurt Jiyeon.” 

 

“Let me go!” Junho snarled, pushing at Jiyeon’s hands; but for a girl, Jiyeon’s grasp was surprisingly strong. “Where is he? JB, where is he?” 

 

Junho stopped abruptly as he realised what Jiyeon was asking. Warily, he glanced at Nickhun, who was still struggling with Hyomin. “Stop.” 

 

Nickhun hesitated, his eyes darting between Hyomin and Junho. 

 

“If I told you I don’t know where JB is, what would you say?” Junho replied, looking Jiyeon straight in the eyes. 

 

Jiyeon’s grip tightened. “You’re lying. Where is he?” 

 

“If you want me to bring you to him, then you jolly well let go of me now.” Junho’s voice was cold and uncompromising, his eyes hard as he stared at Jiyeon. 

 

Jiyeon paused for the briefest of moments, then released him. “Bring me to him now.” 

 

Junho hesitated, glancing over at Nickhun; the blonde-haired Warrior paused for a second, then pocketed his penknife. “You bring them there, then. I’ll head to the dojo.” 

 

Without waiting for the assassins’ response, Nickhun shook Hyomin’s arm off roughly, casting her an antagonistic look. He glanced briefly at Qri, then made his way out of the shop. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB leaned back in the bed, moving his arm gingerly. “This . This really . All my years of fighting assassins and I’ve only been brought down once by a Warrior - and yet now I get landed in the hospital because I tripped and broke my arm?”

 

Wooyoung bit back a laugh. “Well, in your defence, it was a trip down the stairs - you fell nearly four meters, buddy. Be glad you didn’t land on your head.” He glanced at his watch. “Where are the others, anyway? Taecyeon said he’d be coming here after meeting the Elders, and Junho and Nickhun should be here already...” 

 

As if on cue, the door swung open; both Wooyoung and JB turned to look at the newcomer - it was Junho, his face grim and set. Wooyoung jumped up from the sofa, slinging a hand over Junho’s neck. “Yo - what’s up with the long face? Where’s Khun?” 

 

Junho pushed Wooyoung’s arm off, his tone serious as he faced JB. “There’s someone here to see you.” 

 

JB’s brows rose. “Someone here to see me? Who? Show him in, then.” 

 

Junho hesitated; then he stepped out of the way. 

 

JB’s smile faded. “Jiyeon...” 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taecyeon bowed respectfully to the Elders. “I will inform the Warriors of your decision, sirs.” 

 

The Elders gave an approving nod; Jaejoong’s voice was cold as he spoke. “See that it is done - your failure regarding the T-ara assassins has not been forgotten, Ok Taecyeon. Do not fail us again.” 

 

Taecyeon bowed low again. “I will not.” 

 

Junsu and Jaejoong exchanged looks; without acknowledging Taecyeon, the duo stepped out of the room, quickly followed by Yoochun. Changmin lingered back, waiting for the Consul, Yunho, but the older man waved him out, his eyes not shifting from Taecyeon. 

 

Taecyeon rose from his bow; his eyes met Yunho’s and he waited in silence. 

 

“How are my sons?” 

 

“Jr is doing fine. He is a little eager to get moving after some assassins, but other than that he’s all right. JB tripped during a mission about a week ago and took a pretty hard fall - he broke his arm and probably will be MIA for a while, but besides that he is fine too.” Taecyeon reported, his voice a deep monotone. 

 

Yunho laid a hand on Taecyeon’s arm. “I want JB to be taken out of this latest mission. He should not risk endangering himself with a broken arm. In his absence, Wooyoung shall take his place as vice-leader.” There was a pause; then Yunho’s grasp tightened. “That doesn’t change my expectations for you, however. I want this mission to be a success, and nothing but total success. I will not have a failure like the one two years ago again.” 

 

Taecyeon flinched as Yunho’s nails dug into his skin. “We will not fail you again.” 

 

“See that you don’t.” With that ominous note, Yunho turned and left the room. Taecyeon grasped his own arm; his face was dark as he glanced down at it, noting the marks Yunho’s fingernails had left in his arm. With a scowl, he headed out of the room; this hotel room had been booked temporarily for the purpose of the meeting, and it was almost time for him to vacate it. As he stepped out of the room, he froze, as he heard an incredibly familiar voice, one he’d been thinking about for two years. 

 

“I think we should book five rooms, one for each of them.” 

 

Taecyeon stopped abruptly, spinning around in shock. And indeed, behind him stood Eunjung and Dani, pointing at a piece of paper in Dani’s hands. 

 

It was Dani who saw Taecyeon first, and, towering giant that he was, it didn’t take her long. She stopped, her jaw dropping open in shock, her hand leaping instinctively to her pocket - Taecyeon didn’t have to see to know that she was probably reaching for her weapon. 

 

Eunjung turned. “What’s wrong with you?” She followed Dani’s gaze, then stopped, paralysed. “T...Taecyeon-oppa...”

 

Taecyeon hesitated, his eyes meeting both women; slowly, steadily, he strode forward, standing right in front of them. “I’m going to pretend this never happened. Do not appear before me again - otherwise, you now we’ll be forced to hunt you.” 

 

Then he strode past them without a backward glance. 

 

Eunjung remained rooted to the ground for a moment; then, without a word to Dani, she turned and ran after Taecyeon. 

 

Taecyeon slowed as he heard the footsteps behind him; without turning around he spoke. “I thought I said not to appear before me again.” 

 

Eunjung’s voice wavered, as she fought to keep herself under control. “I just wanted to know - are you well?” 

 

Taecyeon hesitated; his fists tightened, and he struggled to keep the emotion out of his voice. “I don’t see how that’s any of your business.” 

 

“I just wanted to tell you...” Eunjung paused, her voice breaking, the tears beginning to well up in her eyes. “Take care of yourself. Take care of yourself, and live well.” 

 

Eunjung fled, vanishing around the corner in a matter of moments. 

 

Taecyeon exhaled deeply, unclenching his fist; the nail marks left in his palm hurt, but it was nothing compared to what he was feeling inside. He blinked back tears, his voice soft as he murmured. “What I’m doing is right. I’m supposed to be the leader, I’m supposed to lead the others, not be distracted. What I’m doing is right...” 

But if what he was doing was right - then why did it hurt so much inside? 

 

--------------------------------

And I'm back! So, it turns out JB was still alive (pst - did you guys really think I'll kill him?) and he gets to reunite with Jiyeon! Well, the actual reuniting will take place in the next chapter, but at least there was a Taecjung reunion scene! 

The truth is that Taecyeon is also really conflicted - as the leader he has a responsibility to lead the Warriors against the assassins, and he of all people shouldn't be wavering, which is why he is so determined to perform well in front of the Elders. On the other hand, he can't completely forget his affection for Eunjung, which is why he warns Eunjung "never to appear before him again", because he doesn't want to have to hurt her or give his brothers orders to hurt her. The same thing is going on with JB, albeit to a lesser extent, since JB's only the vice-leader, whereas Taec is literally the one everyone else looks up to. Ahhh, poor Taecjung... 

 

On the other hand, can anyone guess what the Warriors' new assignment is? And no, it's not going after the T-ara members again...well, not exactly. Cookies for anyone who can guess^^

 

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!