Chapter Three

Hunter or Hunted?

 

Soyeon hurried to her seat. She glanced briefly at her clock and cursed. The boss had probably already made his rounds, and would have noticed that she had been gone.

As if on cue, one of her co-workers, Chansung, rolled his chair over, “Hey, the boss wants to see you. I think you’re in trouble, he seems pretty pissed.”

Soyeon bit back a curse. She sighed as she rose, muttering under her breath. As expected, the moment she entered the boss’s office, he began to snap at her, “How many times has this been, Soyeon? For the past week, every time I make my rounds, you’re nowhere to be seen!”

Soyeon could hardly tell her boss that she had had assassinations scheduled every single morning for the past week, could she? She had no choice but to reply, trying to sound as apologetic as she could, “I’m sorry, but my family’s had a bit of an emergency this past week, so…”

To the boss’s credit, and Soyeon’s misfortune, he was smarter than Jiyeon’s teacher, and he interrupted her, “Family emergency? Don’t think I’m an idiot, Soyeon, I know you don’t have a family. You live with a bunch of your friends, don’t you?”

Soyeon had nothing to say.

Sighing deeply, the boss leaned forward, “Honestly, Soyeon, the only thing that’s keeping me from firing you is the fact that you’re the most brilliant, talented IT developer we’ve seen for the past forty years. You’re good, but you’re irresponsible. And at this rate, even your IT brilliance isn’t going to save you. I give you one week to redeem yourself. If you let me down again, consider yourself fired without references.”

Soyeon forced herself to bow her head and thank him meekly for this chance. As she walked out of the office and closed the door gently, Chansung came over to her, “Everything all right? What did the boss say? He didn’t fire you, did he?”

Soyeon smiled slightly at Chansung’s anxiety. Chansung could be like an adorable little puppy sometimes, what with his cute, lovable aegyo and sweet gestures, “It’s nothing, Chansung. He just told me off. Nothing to worry about.”

Chansung have a sigh of relief, “Thank god, noona. I was worried there for a moment.”

Soyeon grinned as she teased, “I could tell!” She glanced at her watch, “Do you want to go for lunch later?”

Chansung brightened up at once, “Definitely!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So, for your upcoming music project, you will have to work in pairs. The melody, the lyrics, everything must be done by yourselves. And I will be assigning the pairs.” The teacher called, drowning out all of the discussion.

Jiyeon glanced over suspiciously at JB, who was focused on playing his ipad, which was hidden behind his book. He didn’t seem to be paying any attention at all.

The teacher looked down at his class list. He began to rattle of names, and some students cheered in delight, while others groaned, not liking the way they were paired up.

“JR will be with Lee Seul, and JB with Jiyeon. If you two have any enquiries, you can just ask me.” The teacher finished. Jiyeon looked at JB, who just shook his head, indicating that he had no questions. His eyes were still riveted upon his ipad, and Jiyeon wondered how he managed to pay such attention to his ipad, and yet be able to listen to the teacher at the same time.

As the bell rang, signaling recess, JB looked up at Jiyeon, who quickly averted her gaze. But JB had seen, and asked calmly, “Is there something wrong? Why do you keep staring at me?”

Her words muffled, Jiyeon replied, “I’m not. Don’t think you’re so interesting that I’ll stare at you throughout class.”

“But that’s what you’ve been doing.” JB pointed out. He waited for an answer, but she didn’t give any. Just then, JR rushed over, swinging his arm around JB, “Hyung! Let’s go down to eat!”

JB shook his younger brother off with an annoyed look, “I’m not hungry. And stop being so noisy. You don’t want to attract so much attention on your first day of school.”

JR pouted, “Aw, come on!” When JB didn’t respond, he turned to Jiyeon instead, “How about you, miss? You want to come down for lunch?”

Jiyeon shot him a look, “No. And I don’t even know you, so don’t talk to me like you’re my good friend or something.”

JR rolled his eyes, “Geez, it’s a good thing you two blocks of ice are sitting next to each other. Fine, if no one will go with me, I’ll go by myself.” He stuck his tongue out at JB and stomped out of the classroom. As he went, JB said to Jiyeon, “Sorry about my brother. He can be very…enthusiastic at times.”

Jiyeon stared after JR, “I can tell. Are you sure you’re his brother? You don’t look anything alike.”

JB raised an eye, “Are you suggesting that one of us is adopted? Can’t be, anyway. We’re twins. Just cos we don’t look alike doesn’t mean we’re not related, does it?”

Jiyeon muttered to herself, “You could be a biological mistake.”

JB rolled his eyes, “I heard that.”

They sat in silence for a few moments before Jiyeon said, “So…about that music project…”

“Is there any day that you’re free to meet up?”JB asked. Jiyeon hesitated, “We can’t go to your house?” But JB just shook his head, “My dad will be really pissed if I just invite people over. The last time JR did that, he nearly got beheaded.”

Jiyeon made a face. What a strict dad. She sighed, “I don’t know if we can meet at my house. I live with my…sisters, and I have to ask them for permission first.”

If JB noticed her pause, he didn’t comment on it. He just nodded, “Sure.” He got his phone out, “Here’s my number.”

They took down each other’s numbers in silence for a few moments. Then JB pocketed his phone, “Hope we do well together.”

Jiyeon nodded.

There was a pause as their eyes met, and Jiyeon looked away, her heart suddenly beating very fast. In that instant, she realised that JB was really very good-looking. She mentally slapped herself. JB could be a Warrior! This was no time to be noticing his ‘good looks’!

JB had no such reaction. He just frowned at her sudden action before turning back to his ipad.

Jiyeon sneaked another peek at JB, but his attention was already completely focused on his game, and he paid her no mind. She swallowed a sigh. This could get more complicated than she had first thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyomin double-checked that the door was properly locked before she left the house, like she always did. She strolled slowly to one of her favourite photographing places, the nearby park that showed a great view of the river, enjoying the good weather.

All of a sudden, her peace and quiet was disturbed by a girl’s shout, “No, you can’t do this to me!” She looked around.

To her surprise, she saw a girl down on her knees in front of another man, presumably her boyfriend, as she begged, “Please, don’t leave me. You can’t do this to me!”

The guy looked impatient as he shook her hands off, “You should have thought of that beforehand, shouldn’t you? Now get lost and stop wasting my time, I’ve got a recording to rush for.” Coldly, he pushed her away and strode off.

Hyomin’s temper flared when she saw how cruelly the girl was treated. Furiously, she stalked up to the guy and grabbed him, “Hey, don’t you think you’re being too much?”

The guy turned around, and she was startled to find that it was Jang Wooyoung, one of Eunjung’s favourite comedians. He gave her a weird look and pulled herself out of her grip, “What’s your problem, lady?”

She snapped, “What’s your problem? How can you be so mean to that girl, and in public no less! Just because you’re kind of a big deal doesn’t give you the right to step all over others, does it.”

Wooyoung gave a scoff, “It’s none of your business, is it?” He folded his arms, “And besides, she’s the one who was cheating on me. Don’t you think you should get your facts right before accusing others?”

Hyomin blinked, “What?”

Wooyoung jabbed his thumb at the girl, who was still kneeling behind them, weeping, “She cheated on me with some guy, that’s why I’m dumping her. I may not be a bastard like some guys, but I’m not nice enough to calmly accept a girl who cheated on me.”

Hyomin hesitated, realizing that she had jumped to conclusions.

Wooyoung shot her a look of disgust, “What a weirdo…” He strode away from her without looking back, leaving her staring after him.

These two, who had started off on the wrong foot, would meet again before they knew it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ms. T picked up the phone as it rang, loud and shrill, “It’s done?”

Mr. J answered, “All handled. He didn’t have a problem with the proposal.”

Ms. T gave a satisfied laugh, “Excellent. Very soon, now, we shall get back what we deserve. And then it’ll be a happy family again, won’t it?”

Mr. J was more reserved as he replied, “Let’s just focus and make sure nothing goes wrong. Call me if anything else happens.” He hung up, and Ms. T placed the phone back on her desk. She smiled, a malicious, evil smile.

Soon. Very soon.

-----------------------------------------------

Here's the next chapter! I updated sooner than I expected, decided to just ignore my homework this time~

So, the main couples (at least for now) have been introduced, and I've given you a peek as to who the baddies are. More JB/Jiyeon goodness, and at least I got to introduce Hyomin/Wooyoung! Although Hyomin and Wooyoung really got to know each other in a really negative way...Hope you guys liked this update, anyway!

Remember, comment and subscribe! Oh, and please check out my two new stories at my profile, they're a G-Minor oneshot (requested by Nadia Nur Fitriani) and another JB/Jiyeon/Myungsoo fanfic.